Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-02-20, 21:24   Link #1421
Key Board
Carbon

Apparently in the latest author column he says he's getting influenza

or maybe that's just Togashi slang for this

http://andriasang.com/con010/dqx_beta/
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 12:56   Link #1422
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
I started reading Hunter X Hunter last week and I just got to the end of the Ant Saga.

Oh. My. God. Meryem and Komugi's death was the saddest thing I have ever seen - it actually made me cry, which is a first for any type of fiction ever (movies, books, manga, tv, etc). Those 5 pages of them talking in the dark while playing Gungi and then the end alone made this the best work of fiction, not just manga, I've ever read. Togashi is a genius.
It's funny that you say this...A lot of people disliked it at the time, but Hunter x Hunter has always been a series that reads incredibly well in volumes. I liked that scene a lot too.

Also, for those of you still confused about Alluka, I'm pretty certain that she's a transgender female. Also, Nanika is likely male--though the translation of the most recent chapter doesn't indicate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, and Guts from Berserk predated both of them (and is handled better than either of them, as well). And even western media has those avenger anti-hero types (Batman, Punisher, Spawn, etc.), so it really makes no difference who came before who since my point still stands.
Haha, and Macduff preceded before Guts. Berserk uses Shakespeare's Macbeth as a groundwork for its story. Though Guts and Kurapika are very different. Yes, I am responding to a post made in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
What exactly is "wacky" about a gang of murderous thieves wiping out an entire clan and the only survivor subsequently seeking out revenge for it? Especially compared to a bunch of quirky animal people playing politics.
The Phantom Troupe is filled with freakshows. They're all supposed to be sort of wacky and creepy at the same time. They all have personality traits at odds with their appearances, which mostly comes across in the ways that they speak (e.g. Franklin, Bonolenov, Feitan, Phinks).

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2012-02-21 at 13:06.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 16:31   Link #1423
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Also, for those of you still confused about Alluka, I'm pretty certain that she's a transgender female. Also, Nanika is likely male--though the translation of the most recent chapter doesn't indicate that.
excuse my ignorance but is that woman im male body or viceversa?
Old 2012-02-21, 17:05   Link #1424
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
excuse my ignorance but is that woman im male body or viceversa?
Female in a male body. It wouldn't be the first time Togashi has introduced a transgender character into his series. Sensui, one of Togashi's characters from Yu Yu Hakusho, had a personality that was also female.

As far as Nanika goes, Killua calls Nanika "omae" in the latest chapter. That's a pronoun typically used for boys in Japanese--but it could also indicate that Killua considers Nanika to be genderless.

The rest of the family overtly refers to Alluka using male pronouns--Killua is the only one who uses terms exclusive to girls when referencing Alluka. I think the Zoldycks are either unaware of Alluka's gender identity or refuse to acknowledge it. The latter seems more likely to me, since I'm fairly certain that Alluka's parents would know whether or not she's (physically) male or female.
Old 2012-02-21, 17:52   Link #1425
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well i do agree even in hunter x hunter theres a lot of characters that look the opposite sex, or even a lot of transvestites, one i recall its the one that offer hunters a reward for the head of the ryodan, but there a sligth chance all that was to throw off anyone seeking info on alluka.

on another thing this is now how i see the zoldayck family thanks to your latest anime review
Spoiler for .....:
Old 2012-02-22, 07:49   Link #1426
marvelB

So the next chapter's raw is out:

Spoiler:
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 08:33   Link #1427
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Spoiler for HxH 337:
Old 2012-02-22, 12:17   Link #1428
Key Board
Carbon

yep, the art is getting terrible again

hiatus incoming?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 12:37   Link #1429
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I guess that I'm the only one who thought the title name (which I read was "Confession", though I don't know if that's accurate) the moment I found that girl was Kaito, I thought Gon was gon-na confess something. You know what I mean D0=.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 12:47   Link #1430
Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
yep, the art is getting terrible again

hiatus incoming?
I thought that last page was hinting at some sort of timeskip...
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 13:06   Link #1431
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Chapter's out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
I thought that last page was hinting at some sort of timeskip...
Actually, I'm not so sure. Now I think that we might get another arc before a timeskip occurs. It's around...April or May in their world, isn't it? We still have over a year before X-Day happens, and I could see that being the setup for a fine climax in for the first half of HxH (or potentially, a climax leading to the end of the series?).

My predictions? I think that the Hunters Association will likely become boring to Pariston, due to Cheadle's rigid and perfectionist nature. She calculates too much--instead of relying on intuition and allowing herself to make mistakes, her propensity to plan leaves her very short-sighted.

Pariston will probably spend the rest of his year working with those Chimera Ant hybrids in some fashion. Since Togashi introduced the possibilities of characters existing in the series whose own Nen abilities assist in helping others discover/create their own ability best suited to individuality (e.g. Pouf), he'll spend the next few months training them all to take the Hunter Exam (and pass).

The fact that Pariston even discussed revising some of the Hunter Commandments really reinforces the idea that he sees them as flaws in the system. I think Pariston is the type to exploit these if Cheadle fails to do a good job. He's a hedonist in a way that's similar to Hisoka, but the type of "pleasure" he desires is entirely different. Pariston finds fun in mischief.

Gon will find Killua and try to apologize to him. However, Killua won't accept his apology this time. The pair will split. Gon will go to Yggdrasil by himself and Togashi will have Killua (the perpetual runaway) and Alluka stay on the run from Illumi until something tragic happens: he'll be put under Illumi's hypnotic spell again and forced to return to Kukuroo Mountain.

No real guesses for Leorio (he might spend the next arc with Gon); maybe Kurapika is off fighting Nobunaga or something.
Old 2012-02-22, 13:39   Link #1432
ellifeedn
Thinker

I wonder if Pariston and Hisoka are related in some way. Now that I think about it, we don't have any backstory for either one.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 13:56   Link #1433
marvelB

Yeah, this definitely won't be the last we've heard of Pariston. Though I doubt that he's in cahoots with Hisoka (or any of the Ryodan, for that matter), I still wouldn't doubt that he's up to some crazy scheme involving all those super-ants. I'm also rather interested in what the other zodiacs will be doing now that Cheadle is chairman now, as well. While I do agree with Toto y Moi that she seems to be too much of a perfectionist, perhaps her peers will help to keep her in check like Mizaistom or whoever she chooses to become vice-chairman (but then again, Mizai may not be the best choice since the ox is incompatible with the dog according to the Chinese zodiac. So maybe she'll appoint either Sacchou (horse) or Piyon (rabbit) as the vice instead (Kanzai is possible too since the tiger also gets along with the dog, but it's already been established that he's not too bright, so....)).
Old 2012-02-22, 16:30   Link #1434
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The current Kaito looks nothing like the loli Kaito we saw a few chapters ago. And I found it amusing that the guy on page 13 looks so much like "male Kaito" (probably because of the scribbles, I bet he'll look very different in the final product).

Gon is back to square one. Well, not exactly, since Ging was kind enough to tell him where to find him this time.
Old 2012-02-23, 10:06   Link #1435
Gooral
Banned

It was poor IMO and seemed like a waste of pages. What do I care about some koala or transvesKite? Resurrecting characters is never a good idea. And a random ant talking gibberish isn't a good idea either. Even Gon reappearing didn't make it even slightly enjoyable chapter since it felt forced and stupid. 13 pages of babble and suddenly Gon appears out of nowhere to say to Kaito he's sorry, except Kaito isn't Kaito any more but a ant-girl/girl created by ants. Not to mention that I would think that Gon would be more concerned about Killlua than a bug who had memories of his "friend" (more like mentor who he didn't even know that well judging from what we've seen) and didn't even resemble him. This whole scene was so unnatural that it made doubt it was written by the same Togashi who had presented to us about 20 genius chapters in a row. But I was expecting poor story once ants reappeared. *sigh* Oh well, at least graphic is still great. Oh, wait...
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 10:30   Link #1436
marvelB

I think I found the above post funnier than I should have......

Well, I'm definitely not going to defend Togashi's chicken scratch, but I don't really have any big issues with "transvesKite" (lol, good one, BTW ). In fact, I kinda wished that (s)he remained an ant loli like before, but I guess Togashi figured that Alluka is more than enough to fill in the "moe" quota for the series for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Come to think of it: Shouldn't they have new elections now?
The rules said, that the chairman has to be decided by election, after the spot becomes open. With Pariston resigning, the spot is open and Cheadle is only left in charge until the next election, which has to take place as soon as possible.

Why should there be a new election so soon? Cheadle didn't show any sign of stepping down like Pariston did. Really, the only issue I see is the one I brought up before about who she'd choose as her vice-chairman, but that's about it.

And besides, I sort of can't help but think that the hunters would be hesitant to participate in another election considering all the chaos that took place up until Gon's recovery.....
Old 2012-02-23, 11:16   Link #1437
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Chapter 331 page 11; the 10 rules of the Hunter's organisation.
Rule 8:
"... If the seat of the chairman becomes open, an election for the next chairman must happen immediately. The vice-chairman is to be left in charge until the new chairman is decided."

Nothing in the rules allows a vice-chairman to just keep the place of the chairman permanently.

Yeah, and...?

Spoiler:

^The above heavily implies that Pariston is leaving Cheadle to take the seat. In fact, recall back in chapter 319 that he even suggested skipping an election altogether when announcing his candidacy. And considering that Cheadle was the most highly-supported candidate after Pariston anyway, another election WOULD be pretty unnecessary at this point.....
Old 2012-02-23, 13:59   Link #1438
Gooral
Banned

I think it's been stated before that chairman's word is absolute. Hence Netero could enforce the >95% rule. But if he just appointed XYZ as chairman and XYZ would agree I think XYZ would become a chairman. The same way Parriston could assign Cheadle as a chairman.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 14:52   Link #1439
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
It was poor IMO and seemed like a waste of pages. What do I care about some koala or transvesKite? Resurrecting characters is never a good idea. And a random ant talking gibberish isn't a good idea either. Even Gon reappearing didn't make it even slightly enjoyable chapter since it felt forced and stupid. 13 pages of babble and suddenly Gon appears out of nowhere to say to Kaito he's sorry, except Kaito isn't Kaito any more but a ant-girl/girl created by ants. Not to mention that I would think that Gon would be more concerned about Killlua than a bug who had memories of his "friend" (more like mentor who he didn't even know that well judging from what we've seen) and didn't even resemble him. This whole scene was so unnatural that it made doubt it was written by the same Togashi who had presented to us about 20 genius chapters in a row. But I was expecting poor story once ants reappeared. *sigh* Oh well, at least graphic is still great. Oh, wait...
Two chapters ago Gon was heading to see Kaito. How does this turn into Gon "appears out of nowhere"?

Why would Gon be more concerned about Killua? Gon wants to apologize to Killua. That's all. He (and everyone else) has no idea that Illumi is after Killua and Alluka. He does not even know Killua saved him.

Kaito is by far the biggest regret in Gon's mind. He feels responsible for Kaito's death. And from all his reactions, his guilty feeling is immense, to the point where he feels he should have died. Naturally Kaito's "resurrection" is the biggest thing in his mind.

The chapter is not a waste of paper at all. You may feel that way because the Koala is not a character you care about. The Koala is staying with Kaito. So he will have a role to play in chapters to come. The dozen pages on the Koala effectively shapes his personality and assign a motivation for his later actions. It's a bit like the chapter on Jairo, who has yet to do anything but is expected to be an important villain at some point.

The ants are not going away. They have become part of the world. We are certain to see more of them. I don't like the Chimera Ants much, but at this point it makes no sense to dump them out of the story.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 05:02   Link #1440
marvelB

Edit: Nevermind, that was fake. The REAL spoiler goes like this:

Spoiler:

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-02-29 at 11:42.

Tags
overpowered villain