AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-10, 20:25   Link #441
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I can't handle all the booty-shaking right now. I just can't.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 20:26   Link #442
Shinhwa
Banned

Awesome series. Gives me somewhat the Chuunibyo series vibe in a way XD
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 23:05   Link #443
Ridwan

Hmm, it does look like this show is going somewhere.
Old 2013-10-10, 23:13   Link #444
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Instead, we so far have an unusually weak female lead in Mirai, and action scenes that lack a good "Oomph!" to them. So yeah, I'm disappointed so far.

Anybody who expected Hyouka caliber, but with the added bonus of action scenes that would put Fate/Zero's to shame, were indeed probably expecting too much. But I don't think my more modest expectations are all that excessive.
The action so far is exceptionally well done. The combat scenarios aren't that complex but it's still very well animated. I really don't see how someone could say that the storyboarding was not solid.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 23:27   Link #445
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
The action so far is exceptionally well done. The combat scenarios aren't that complex but it's still very well animated.
There's more to a good action scene than just being well animated. And there's certainly more to an "exceptionally well done" action scene than just being well animated.

A good action scene has a good mood to it. It has a nice synthesis of BGM, sound effects, and visuals. It's not just flashy, it's also exciting. I didn't see anything particularly exciting about the action scene in Episode 2. And the mood of the action scene was greatly undermined by silly and pointless comedy.

So I disagree with you. I think it's perfectly legitimate for someone to be disappointed with the action scene in Episode 2.
Old 2013-10-10, 23:29   Link #446
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Exciting is a pretty subjective feeling isn't it? It depends on what you associate with the BGM and stuff.

For example a song can make you feel nostalgic and another person will feel happy at the same time.

EDIT: For example the OST in the battle scene makes me feel a sort of tense atmosphere rather than epic or exciting. I'm giving KnK the benefit of the doubt on this because the battle might not have meant to be exciting. So far the OP shows quality music and I'll have a more complete idea by episode 7 or 8 if they know how to use their music properly, but for now it's quite early...

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 23:33   Link #447
Jarmel

Quote:
There's more to a good action scene than just being well animated. And there's certainly more to an "exceptionally well done" action scene than just being well animated.

A good action scene has a good mood to it. It has a nice synthesis of BGM, sound effects, and visuals. It's not just flashy, it's exciting. I didn't see anything particularly exciting about the action scene in Episode 2. And the mood of the action scene was greatly undermined by silly and pointless comedy.
I disagree. The key factor for an action scene is how well it's staged and animated. There are other factors that might elevate or decrease the impact of a scene but the most important element is by far, how well it's staged and executed.

There were multiple shots such as Mirai doing a slide attack, when the monster surprised attacked her from the ground, and flipping the direction of her sword that were very well done. The last one in particular was very fluid.

Also the soundtrack was fine.
Old 2013-10-10, 23:41   Link #448
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I disagree. The key factor for an action scene is how well it's staged and animated. There are other factors that might elevate or decrease the impact of a scene but the most important element is by far, how well it's staged and executed.
Then yes, we disagree. I think you put far too much focus on sheer technical proficiency, and not enough in giving people a reason to truly care about and feel emotionally involved in the action scene.

Why should I care about an one-sided fight between a sword-wielding girl who isn't pulling off anything that exciting, and some eye-strand creature that similarly can't pull off anything that exciting? There's also no dialogue between the combatants to heighten the emotionality of the fight. There's no real drama to it. And what drama could arise out of the scene is greatly undermined by stupid and pointless comedy.

A good action scene has good drama and/or suspense in it. I felt none of that at all for the action scene in Episode 2 of this anime.

You may disagree with me, but my position on this is perfectly legitimate and valid.

And I simply disagree with you on the soundtrack. I found it very vanilla for this sort of scene.
Old 2013-10-10, 23:46   Link #449
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

How many training levels in videogames feature exciting music and a really tough opponent? Give the girl a break, it's her first blood (almost literally). First battle of the anime as well, and it really isn't a desperate fight so I think the lack of "excitement" you claim is actually intended.

At least that's what I believe is being intended.

Cheers

Old 2013-10-10, 23:54   Link #450
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
How many training levels in videogames feature exciting music and a really tough opponent?
Training levels in video-games? What does that have to do with anything? Do you expect hours upon hours of level-grinding in this anime too?

Plenty of shows manage to have their very first action scenes seem exciting. Kill La Kill managed it. Madoka Magica managed it. Ga-Rei Zero managed it. Heck, even otherwise flawed shows like Guilty Crown and Blood-C managed it.

I'm not going to give KyoAni an easier time just because it's KyoAni.

Quote:
First battle of the anime as well, and it really isn't a desperate fight so I think the lack of "excitement" you claim is actually intended.
If so, then that's a flawed intention. This is entertainment we're talking about here.
Old 2013-10-10, 23:59   Link #451
Jarmel

Quote:
Then yes, we disagree. I think you put far too much focus on sheer technical proficiency, and not enough in giving people a reason to truly care about and feel emotionally involved in the action scene.

Why should I care about an one-sided fight between a sword-wielding girl who isn't pulling off anything that exciting, and some eye-strand creature that similarly can't pull off anything that exciting? There's also no dialogue between the combatants to heighten the emotionality of the fight. There's no real drama to it. And what drama could arise out of the scene is greatly undermined by stupid and pointless comedy.

A good action scene has good drama and/or suspense in it. I felt none of that at all for the action scene in Episode 2 of this anime.

You may disagree with me, but my position on this is perfectly legitimate and valid.

And I simply disagree with you on the soundtrack. I found it very vanilla for this sort of scene.
That's taking into account more of a series than just the action sequences. If there isn't emotional involvement in the action then that's a fault of other aspects of the show in regards to contextualization rather than the action sequences by themselves.

It's perfectly possible to take elements of a show and analyze them by themselves without factoring in other elements. That's part of the sakuga MAD stuff in that you're looking at how well storyboarded and fluid the animation is in an isolated setting.
Old 2013-10-11, 00:01   Link #452
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Video-games often do have fights, right? And well, Mirai really is a newbie when it comes to killing shadows or however they are called. She's not going to be dropped into the holy grail war between Saber and Rider is she?

I do expect however a little first fight for her to get introduced to everything like in Pokemon anime, if just a little one.

Sword Art Online and Accelerated World did that if I'm not mistaken, right? Not saying they are monuments to creativity or entertainment, just saying they did that.

I'm not saying give KyoAni an easier time, I'm saying give the LN a harder time for having a weak MC slowly introduced into the world of fighting that is this anime.

I found the EPISODE entertaining, the battle was tedious though. As I said, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for it being the first fight and first kill, it does make sense for it to be relatively easy. And honestly? I'm not expecting many fights like in Fate/Zero or near that epicness level. This is for what I can see more a mix of supernatural and normal high school romance (then again, when is it any different) however with a heavier lean on the second.

Have not read the LN, but for what it's worth, I'm betting that it'll be more on the psychological side of everything. If so, battles are the second front, not the first. I still saw fluid animations, but the battle should have not outshone the rest of the episode. If that was the writer's intention in the first place I'm confident he could have done it more epic.

Cheers

Old 2013-10-11, 01:44   Link #453
Shinhwa
Banned

I love this series

Really catching for me. I also love the OP by Minorin xD
Old 2013-10-11, 02:15   Link #454
MartianMage

Images
Mirai
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

You aren't supposed to be moving your free hand like that unless you want to chop it off with your own swings.

Take note I didn't even need to pause the fight frame by frame to notice these. When I watch actions scenes I rarely do that... I only do it on really fast paced and elaborate choreographies.

I've seen a lot of crouching sword stances and the one Mirai goes into looks really awkward. These awkward stances and movements are problems with the choreography. The cinematography is almost non existent in this fight and to top it all the poor choice in the background music doesn't help too.

edit: speaking of awkward looking moves... if you go back to episode 1 where the teacher barges in and kicks the youmu... the kick itself looks awkward too. It's kind of like how Yurippe was holding her sniper rifle in Angel Beats awkward really:
Images
yurippe

This isn't to say that the whole fight was terrible. I find the part where she dissolves her sword and reforms it downwards to be quite good. There are no wasted movements in her upward swing and follow through and it looked really intense.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2013-10-11 at 02:49.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 02:25   Link #455
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just a note that I removed a bunch more posts for being pointlessly meta and focused more on call-outs and retorts and "This Week In KyoAni General" than discussing the actual show as presented. Keep that meta stuff out of this thread.
Old 2013-10-11, 02:39   Link #456
EroKing

Images
Mirai
Old 2013-10-11, 02:54   Link #457
Shinhwa
Banned

Fanarts are understandable, but apparently a doujinshi for this series has already been released... way too freaking fast LOL
Old 2013-10-11, 07:17   Link #458
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post

I'm not saying give KyoAni an easier time, I'm saying give the LN a harder time for having a weak MC slowly introduced into the world of fighting that is this anime.
The Kyoukai no Kanata LN was published by KyoAni (starting back in 2012). Probably the main reason the anime and the LN even exists is because it was a "Honorable Mention" in the Kyoto Animation Award Competition back in 2011.

The old argument of "Anime studios are just contractors hired out to do animation work by publishers of the source material, so you should only judge KyoAni by anime-only elements like animation quality and seiyu work" does not apply here. KyoAni is both source material publisher and anime adapter here. They also hand-picked this entry as a Honourable Mention back in 2011.

KyoAni owns this. This is what they chose to turn into a LN, and now into an anime.

Was it a good choice? It might yet prove to be a good choice. But in any event, KyoAni does deserve credit/blame for that choice.

Quote:
I found the EPISODE entertaining, the battle was tedious though. As I said, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for it being the first fight and first kill, it does make sense for it to be relatively easy.
Like yourself, I found the battle tedious, largely because neither side seemed able to do all that much. Let me be clear - I wouldn't mind a quick, flashy curbstomp for Mirai's first fight. But this actually wasn't easy for her. It was very drawn out. If you're going to draw out a fight like KyoAni did here, then I think it should be more creative and intense than what it was, imo.

Quote:
And honestly? I'm not expecting many fights like in Fate/Zero or near that epicness level.
If you're right, then the way KnK has been marketed has been a bit misleading. Not to mention that incredibly explosive OP, lol. That OP would fit right in with the likes of Shakugan no Shana or, yes, Fate/Zero. I mean, do a MAD mash-up between this OP and Fate/Zero's characters, and it would probably seem like a great fit.

I definitely don't think anybody should be faulted for expecting a fair amount of good, high-caliber action scenes in this anime. KyoAni promoted this show as being in much the same vein as Shakugan no Shana, and Shana is at least as well known for its flashy, intense action scenes as it is for anything else.

I'm not saying that KnK is terrible. But there are legit reasons for some viewers not being entirely satisfied with it thus far.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-10-11 at 07:30.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 07:26   Link #459
whitecloud

for you guys that disappointed with the lack of action in kyoukai, dont lose hope yet...

there will be a lot of action + the story will pick up considerably too in the SEVERAL upcoming episode...according to the summary

here you go...

for the upcoming episodes, shit will hit the fan.

Episode 3: "Midnight Purple"
Script: Jukki Hanada
Director/Storyboards: Noriyuki Kitanohara
Animation Director: Shouko Ikeda

Spoiler for Summary:

Episode 4: "Bitter Orange"
Director/Storyboards: Yasuhiro Takemoto
Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno

Spoiler for Summary:

Episode 5: "Light Yellowish Green Torch"
Director/Storyboards: Naoko Yamada
Animation Director: Nao Naito

Spoiler for Summary:

Episode 6: "Shocking Pink"
Storyboards: Taiichi Ogawa and Tatsuya Ishihara
Director: Taiichi Ogawa
Animation Director: Nobauaki Maruki

Spoiler for Summary:
Old 2013-10-11, 07:33   Link #460
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
for you guys that disappointed with the lack of action in kyoukai, dont lose hope yet...

there will be a lot of action + the story will pick up considerably too in the SEVERAL upcoming episode...according to the summary
Thanks for the info. That is encouraging. I like the naming scheme for these episodes.

Tags
blood magic, demons, seinen, supernatural, tragic past