AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2008-05-18, 06:22   Link #2461
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
For one thing, I don't think an otaku like him would use the term "childhood friends" if they weren't childhood friends.
Been told most lolicons DO see themselves like that (like that killer pedophile in Florida) - almost like some warped legalese/moral escape hatch. Again, a childhood friend is someone who you knew as a friend during your childhood - child or adult. Your teacher or grandfather could be your childhood friend.

Quote:
I also think Soujirou's more outrageous hobbies (like photographing real little girls) came after his wife's death.
I severely doubt this. Like police long know, ogling and passionately photographing little girls go hand in hand early on. After all what drew Soujirou to Kanata in the first place was because she looked kiddie. If I visited the house of a friend of a friend and found his bedroom walls plastered with pixs of little girls, I'd hardly think of that person as merely "outrageous."

Quote:
The visit made it look, to me, like she did have a soft spot for Soujirou. She was touched by his love for her, and was glad that he and Konata got along and played together (even as she was alarmed by what they were playing...)
I sense this was a concilitory resignation on her part that the relationship could've been 'worst' than Konata just psychologically losing her innocence by second grade. Kanata really wasn't all that elated how things turned out (even a bug of guilt entered Soujirou's seedy brain about that, saying something like "I know Konata didn'r turn out like you'd wished..")

Quote:
And the her comment after Konata's birth, as well, as Soujirou's tactic of "I became like that because you won't go out with me" make me think she never had a problem criticizing his otaku ways, but forgave him anyway.
BTW, I can't believe there are twits who'd fall for that line - yet there are!! No wonder wife beatings are up! (funny how even Kagami was concerned of that issue in some ep).

Quote:
All in all, I think that, as much as she couldn't say "no" to his pushiness, he couldn't say "no" to her either. It's not like he was totally dominating her.
Naw, the sly weasel was doing that from the get-go! After all he did describe her as the trophy bishōjo mate, didn't he? Outside of voicing some disfavors (like end of 22) I kinda doubt she challenged him all that much. (What ep? : "I'd drag Kanata around all the time...") Stand by your (creepy) man while he drools over lilicon manga and sim games and ogles lil' girls passing by? I don't think so!

Quote:
I don't think Konata's tomboyishness would have bothered her. She wanted Konata to grow up strong and healthy, so sports would have been been great for that. Martial arts would have meant that as short as she was, Konata wouldn't lose to even tall men. I think Kanata'd be damn proud of Konata's taking down a full grown foreigner. Or at least, that she was able to do so. The fact it arose from a misunderstanding and Konata's impulsiveness would have been less thrilling.
I'm not knocking martial arts at all! In fact I think it's very positive and healthy excercise, however there is an undertone of violence in it that turns off many ultra-pacifists (I was surprised by how few martial arts centers were in NYC's huge Greenwich Village /Soho/ Tribecka peace/love mecca neighborhoods.) My read of Kanata is she's very much a demure ultra-pacifist type and so would undoubtly be a "V-Chip" soccer/lacross mom and the only chops Konata would've been dishing out were pork. But I'm glad you mentioned Konata's slam-bang blooper with that poor tourist! (Note, no remorse from the hare-lipped one!) Shucks, you mean Soujirou wasn't slammed with a lawsuit??

Quote:
But Kanata looked more serious than Soujirou, so she'd have been a lot more likely to put her foot down at Konata's laziness. So Konata's grades would be a lot better...
Heck, it'd never even gotten that far to start with! Kanata would've nipped any lazy dazy attitude in the cradle and sat on Konata's butt every school night since kindergarten to keep her away from any manga and anime to shave any chance of Soujirou's traits in her. In Boulder, the ultra-admirable Asian communities are renown for getting their kids to buckle down and book up and so scoring the top scholastic percentiles in the area (there's no basketball or bikes in the streets after school in those communities) so I can see Kanata giving Konata the same treatment.

Thanks for giving me issues to spout in the morn!

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and soon "The Yamato Effect" sneak preview on ff.net
Dee Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-18, 07:15   Link #2462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Been told most lolicons DO see themselves like that (like that killer pedophile in Florida) - almost like some warped legalese/moral escape hatch. Again, a childhood friend is someone who you knew as a friend during your childhood - child or adult. Your teacher or grandfather could be your childhood friend.
Yes, but he wouldn't call her a "childhood friend" if he'd met her while she was in high school. If you go by anime stereotypes - which Soujirou most certainly does - even middle school is kinda late to meet a childhood friend. And the age difference must not be bigger than one or two years.

Quote:
I severely doubt this. Like police long know, ogling and passionately photographing little girls go hand in hand early on. After all what drew Soujirou to Kanata in the first place was because she looked kiddie.
It's actually unclear whether he liked her because she was "kiddie", or if he turned into a lolicon because he fell in love with Kanata.

Quote:
If I visited the house of a friend of a friend and found his bedroom walls plastered with pixs of little girls, I'd hardly think of that person as merely "outrageous."
I still think Kanata largely filled that place in his life.

Quote:
I sense this was a concilitory resignation on her part that the relationship could've been 'worst' than Konata just psychologically losing her innocence by second grade. Kanata really wasn't all that elated how things turned out (even a bug of guilt entered Soujirou's seedy brain about that, saying something like "I know Konata didn'r turn out like you'd wished..")
I think she was just happy that the two people she loved the most were happy. And no, Konata didn't turn out like she'd wished, but children seldom do. Sure, it'd have been nice if she'd been like Miyuki - tall, full figured, excellent grades - but that concern is way, way below her health and happiness.

Quote:
BTW, I can't believe there are twits who'd fall for that line - yet there are!! No wonder wife beatings are up! (funny how even Kagami was concerned of that issue in some ep).
I don't think she fell for the line itself. I think she really did like him.

Quote:
Naw, the sly weasel was doing that from the get-go! After all he did describe her as the trophy bishōjo mate, didn't he?
Of course he would. This is Soujirou we're talking about. He sees everything through anime-colored glasses, like Konata. Putting on protective gear or getting shocked by static electricity is being Kamen Rider, dining with high school girls is being a harem lead.

Quote:
Outside of voicing some disfavors (like end of 22) I kinda doubt she challenged him all that much. (What ep? : "I'd drag Kanata around all the time...")
She looked pretty serious. Not the kind to go out and have fun of her own initiative (especially with her weak health). That's why Soujirou had to "drag her".

Quote:
Stand by your (creepy) man while he drools over lilicon manga and sim games and ogles lil' girls passing by? I don't think so!
She was just tolerant of his childish side.

Quote:
I'm not knocking martial arts at all! In fact I think it's very positive and healthy excercise, however there is an undertone of violence in it that turns off many ultra-pacifists (I was surprised by how few martial arts centers were in NYC's huge Greenwich Village /Soho/ Tribecka peace/love mecca neighborhoods.) My read of Kanata is she's very much a demure ultra-pacifist type and so would undoubtly be a "V-Chip" soccer/lacross mom and the only chops Konata would've been dishing out were pork. But I'm glad you mentioned Konata's slam-bang blooper with that poor tourist! (Note, no remorse from the hare-lipped one!) Shucks, you mean Soujirou wasn't slammed with a lawsuit??
I see no reason to think she was an ultra-pacifist. And as I said, I think that martial arts, more than any other sports, would have been a good salve for all the frustrations Kanata had with her own body. Unless there's a sport that makes you grow taller, of course.

Quote:
Heck, it'd never even gotten that far to start with! Kanata would've nipped any lazy dazy attitude in the cradle and sat on Konata's butt every school night since kindergarten to keep her away from any manga and anime to shave any chance of Soujirou's traits in her. In Boulder, the ultra-admirable Asian communities are renown for getting their kids to buckle down and book up and so scoring the top scholastic percentiles in the area (there's no basketball or bikes in the streets after school in those communities) so I can see Kanata giving Konata the same treatment.
I don't think Kanata would have had it in her to be a tyrant. Sure, she'd have given Konata more balance, and would have insisted more strongly for her to be serious, but she'd still have left some place for fun, too.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 16:07   Link #2463
Dee Eon

Have Anime Characters Ever Had Name Changes??

Hi!

Just jumping in a mo' with a question on something some here say has never happened: Are there any examples of the names of anime characters being changed for foreign viewers for various/sensitive reasons?

And to follow that up, what English names would you feel (even if you don't believe in the idea - for fun you know??) would most fit a Lucky Star character??

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and soon "The Yamato Effect" sneak preview on ff.net
Old 2008-05-21, 22:24   Link #2464
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Hi!

Just jumping in a mo' with a question on something some here say has never happened: Are there any examples of the names of anime characters being changed for foreign viewers for various/sensitive reasons?

And to follow that up, what English names would you feel (even if you don't believe in the idea - for fun you know??) would most fit a Lucky Star character??

Dee
I haven't heard of names changing for whatever sensitive reasons there are, but this is a classic example of a highly involved adaptation for younger audiences.

I can't bear to change the current characters' names.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 19:25   Link #2465
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I haven't heard of names changing for whatever sensitive reasons there are, but this is a classic example of a highly involved adaptation for younger audiences.

I can't bear to change the current characters' names.
Thanks for this head's up! Some from MangaShare say that name changing occasionally happened in the very early Anime-in-America days, so that's something I'll try to Wiki later. Be interesting to see whether things like Tsikasa's "chichi" mention makes it on the English DVDs too!

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and soon sneak preview of "The Yamato Effect" on ff.net
Old 2008-05-25, 03:39   Link #2466
brocko

I know in Slam Dunk Mitsui was given a nickname of 'Mitch', i don't know how often it was used though as I've only had about 5 mins of exposure to the official English manga this one time at Borders. But considering it's not a total name-change it's not that bad of a thing, in fact i actually found it to be quite a positive addition to the manga to be honest.

In Initial D however they changed almost every single characters name along with various other stuff in an attempt to 'Americanize' it to their wanted 'Fast and Furious' image that they were aiming for.

Another name-change i can think of would be Dragonball Z. Satan > Hercules for obvious reasons of course lol

If Lucky Star were to ever have name-changes, I'd much prefer if it be something like the Dragonball Z and Slam Dunk ones unlike the butchery that went on in Initial D.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 09:47   Link #2467
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Names are always changed in Digimon - although not always americanized (e.g. Makino Ruki -> Rika Nonaka)
Some believe that the surname Yagami was changed to Kamiya because it reads "Im a gay" backwards.
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 16:24   Link #2468
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I know in Slam Dunk Mitsui was given a nickname of 'Mitch', i don't know how often it was used though as I've only had about 5 mins of exposure to the official English manga this one time at Borders. But considering it's not a total name-change it's not that bad of a thing, in fact i actually found it to be quite a positive addition to the manga to be honest.

In Initial D however they changed almost every single characters name along with various other stuff in an attempt to 'Americanize' it to their wanted 'Fast and Furious' image that they were aiming for.

Another name-change i can think of would be Dragonball Z. Satan > Hercules for obvious reasons of course lol

If Lucky Star were to ever have name-changes, I'd much prefer if it be something like the Dragonball Z and Slam Dunk ones unlike the butchery that went on in Initial D.
Mitsui was actually referred to as Mitchie by his buddies in the Japanese version. Maybe that's the part they changed, to avoid it sounding feminine.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 16:35   Link #2469
Dee Eon

Hi All!

In the wake of The Hare-Lipped One's birthday (one more till the big 2-0 right?), I'd like to ask anyone with the manga just what presents did she receive from the girls and maybe dad? My imagination's flushed out! (or grossed out when it comes to Soujirou!)

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and "The Yamato Effect" sneak preview on fanfiction.net this weekend.
Old 2008-05-31, 01:29   Link #2470
Dee Eon

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret Chapter 5 Is Served

Hi All!

"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret" Chapter Five is in, of this light novel pre-doujinshi in the off-the-wall spirit of Lucky*Star Murder Case and Pocket Travelers at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4184788/...acedOut_Secret

along with a bonus addendum to the beta chapter of "The Yamato Effect" at

http://luckystarforum.com/Dee/The_Yamato_Effect.pdf (ideal perferred)

http://luckystarforum.com/Dee/Yamato.html

Happy reading and critiquing! Bash me!

Dee

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-06-05 at 01:49. Reason: Yahoo file download update
Old 2008-06-05, 02:01   Link #2471
Dee Eon

Best English Names For The Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
...If Lucky Star were to ever have name-changes, I'd much prefer if it be something like the Dragonball Z and Slam Dunk ones unlike the butchery that went on in Initial D.
Hi!

Well, to follow that up as a lark, I'd really like to see just how creative and inventive people here are and hatch some English-equivalent names for the quad. Like, I've checked out Japanese names dictionaries for "Miyuki" which roughly translates to "joyful beauty" but I'm having a devil of a time coming up with the right combinations or rehash of English names to match that. (And forget trying Yamato!) So if anyone can whip up some head-on Jap-equivalent English names for the gang I'd love to hear them!

Take care!

Dee
Old 2008-06-11, 22:34   Link #2472
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Man I just picked up Manga vol. #5 the other day... I'm gonna get sucked into the moe-ness again... Lucky Star is like crack...
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 08:53   Link #2473
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Man I just picked up Manga vol. #5 the other day... I'm gonna get sucked into the moe-ness again... Lucky Star is like crack...
Hell yes? *snorts on vol. 3*

I never got a good look on vol. 5. Just how many new things (i.e. charas, tendencies, etc.) were there?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 19:12   Link #2474
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I can't believe that no one has mentioned this:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAGAMI AND TSUKASA!!!

May Konata give you more "interesting" presents than she did in episode 4!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 21:19   Link #2475
Dee Eon

Happy B-Day To The Twins!

(Well, here's hoping I don't get snagged for double-posting this again, but-)

Happy Birthday Tweedle Smart and Tweedle -- oh, er I mean Kagami & Tsukasa, perpetually 17 again!

May Kaggie renew her miko vows of chastity before Konata and not get caught slipping Finals crib notes to Tsukasa (who's still wondering who REALLY came out first)...

Dee
Old 2008-07-08, 00:05   Link #2476
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tanabata Star Festival time..... very auspicious day to have a birthday, especially twins.
Old 2008-07-09, 19:36   Link #2477
Nemu

A late "Happy Birthday!" to Kagami and Tsukasa! =P

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 14:47   Link #2478
Dee Eon

Happy Birthday Misao!!

Happy B-Day Misao!!

Happy Birthday to one weird bohemian background character whose stars are as mismatched as her wardrobe!

Dee

What's more enchanting than two young girls chatting about depleted uranium?
Old 2008-07-20, 09:15   Link #2479
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
It's hard to keep track of all the birthdays... happy belated, Misao. :B

Exactly how is she bohemian, though? And I always thought that her wardrobe matched pretty nicely when she wasn't in uniform.
Kagami~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 16:31   Link #2480
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. this is some strange use of the word "bohemian" to describe dingy, simple, and loopy crazy.

courtesy Merriam-Webster:
bohemian
2often not capitalized a: vagabond, wanderer; especially : gypsy b: a person (as a writer or an artist) living an unconventional life usually in a colony with others

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen