AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-19, 15:50   Link #1421
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ahhhhhh, Kyuusai gets the high-pitched glee with spasms of growly scariness as well, ne? <peals of laughter>

And yes, there are a few *clear* references to other shows or otaku memes in L*S ... but they're in context with the sort of things Kona-chan would connect the dots to. If she weren't a geekgrrl, then I'd be labeling them as intrusive.

I'm going to avoid discussing other Kyo-Ani shows from this point unless they relate directly to L*S but one channel of the Haruhi series multi-channel adventure is the idea of what if someone *could* remake their reality on a whim and without realizing it (a descending notion from a couple of Twilight Zone and Outer Limit shows as well as tumbling about in science fiction stories). Nothing in Haruhi is really original as far as story notions be it the physics, metaphysics, philosophy, archetype subversion, or whatever -- it was just the integration, packaging, and execution of those motifs that made it entertaining for me.
This gave me a breakthrough of sorts. If we consider that the Lucky Star universe is the same as our universe then of course you'd be seeing all these shows that exist in our universe popping up in the form of toys, posters, games etc. They aren't references to other shows so much as the shows exist in the Lucky Star Universe, because it is ours.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 16:03   Link #1422
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The manga actually steps and gives most of the characters a family and parent(s) that really interact with the students. Major plusplusgood all by itself for that. There's some hilarious bits with Kona and her dad (who has a platonic crush on her because she reminds him of her departed mother, yes, its platonic - shut up and sit down ).

Here's hoping we see a lot of that in the anime as well. Its a good sign we got to meet the twins' family.
Old 2007-04-19, 17:21   Link #1423
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
What's funny is that they didn't forget to include Gainax's bouncing trademark in the reference.
Oh my... Can you imagine how evil it would be if KyoAni did an entire anime Gainax-style?

Going back to the left-handedness of the girls (I'm not going to bother finding the original posts again)... re-watching ep2 I noticed that the twins' dad is right-handed, and their mother and sister are lefties. So I thought maybe left = female and right = male -- Konata is ambidextrous because she's a female otaku.

But in the test-taking scene, all the classmates (male and female) were right-handed. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Miyuki without her glass, still a walking moe element .
What's the atomic weight of moe on the periodic table of anime?
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 17:50   Link #1424
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. the OP cheerleading sequence is certainly bouncerific.....
Old 2007-04-19, 18:28   Link #1425
Sun-Ku

hmmm The Cheerleeding part of the song... Reminds me of one paticular song. Well is it the School rumble girls song? Dunno
Old 2007-04-19, 18:58   Link #1426
Kisuke06
I see...

Not the second episode was very good. Great parts such as the book discussion and Kagami wasting money on that machine. And I suppose this show won't get a proper ED...
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 19:33   Link #1427
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
The clothing, games, foods, day-to-day activities are what make up most people's lives. Good grief, those hats and jumpers that people attribute to Ayu-refs are just common everyday clothing.
But of course, but since Kanon just finished, that's the image that stuck in my mind. Even if the clothes are something anyone would wear, I wouldn't put it past the guys at KyoAni to put something like that in, knowing what some people are going to think when they see the outfit.

Of course, then there's the possibility that she wore that in the manga (I wouldn't know, since I have no access to it). In that case, everything I just stated is irrelevant and I've just made myself look foolish.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 19:40   Link #1428
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's the tricky part of course.... (whether kyo-ani just adds things to mess with the viewer).
I have the first 3 volumes, I'll flip them after I get home to see....
Old 2007-04-19, 19:46   Link #1429
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Well, that would certainly help sate my curiousity either way.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 20:08   Link #1430
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Since the L☆S author is called Kagami, I wonder if the Kagami character is herself? The way she’s depicted as the sensible one makes me think she could be a mary sue (or is that mary jane, I can never remember these fanfic terms)

Re HD v. usual AVIs—the reason pseudo-HD looks better is that normal raws/fansubs are reduced vertically, if they converted the 704x480 broadcasts into 856x480 instead of 704x396 then all the detail would be retained.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 21:11   Link #1431
krln99

From what I've read, the LS author is actually a guy, which is strannge because Kagami just sounds like a girl's name.

BTW, is there a cheerleading anime or something upon which that part of the OP could be based? If not, I'm convinced it's based on the outro of the Japanese drama Dance*Drill, which is about cheerleading.
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 21:24   Link #1432
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Well, that would certainly help sate my curiousity either way.
I had not paid a lot of attention before.. these girls wear quite a wide variety of different sorts of clothing (very cute stuff) -- definitely not the "cartoon character has one outfit" problem. They're quite a little fashion show ... even Konata-chan.

I found examples of both Kagami and her sister wearing these jumpers also found a pic of the "Ayu/Asa-mom" hat being worn. I'll scan a few more interesting pics and post them later tonight.

As to the gender of the author... I'm really not sure. The author draws themself as a cat (last couple of pages in each volume) --- that cat in the eyecatch and episode titles (bag'o'fur with tail).
Old 2007-04-19, 21:38   Link #1433
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
well.. the OP cheerleading sequence is certainly bouncerific.....
Quite...

I dare someone to take this and HareHare and advertise to US high schools as a "choreography consultant". They show cheerleading on ESPN. I'd find it rather mind-blowing if one of these dances showed up there.

Oh god... I just noticed, Near the end of the first bit, after the jumping, they all make heart shapes with their fingers.... Evil. Pure Evil.
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 21:42   Link #1434
Therion
マテリアルS

Any chance of a offical looking Akira-chan sig, since I know theres those 3 small .gif ones...
Old 2007-04-19, 21:56   Link #1435
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Going back to the left-handedness of the girls ?
99% of the cast in Lucky Star are left handed.
The only ones that aren't are Konata, Soujirou, Patricia, Yui, and Akira. Both Izumis are ambidextrous. I'm not sure about Miki, Inori, Matsuri, and Tadao or the other characters that only have a name but never in the series itself (Kiyotaka, Kanata, and Yuki).
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 22:05   Link #1436
Anime Online

It's been bothering me for awhile, but does anyone else see the similarity between Kuroi-sensei and Haruko Kamio (Air TV)?

Both of them look kinda similar. And not only that, their hair are tied at the back in a similar fashion. Most tellingly, they both use Kansai dialect.

[EDIT for grammar]
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 22:34   Link #1437
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
Any chance of a offical looking Akira-chan sig, since I know theres those 3 small .gif ones...
Hmmm, what do you mean by "official looking sigs"

The only one posting sigs recently has been KiNa, if you mean those then he'll probably make an Akira one once he finds a suitable source pic.
Old 2007-04-19, 22:50   Link #1438
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
It's been bothering me for awhile, but does anyone else see the similarity between Kuroi-sensei and Haruko Kamio (Air TV)?

Both of them look kinda similar. And not only that, their hair are tied at the back in a similar fashion. Most tellingly, they both use Kansai dialect.

[EDIT for grammar]
You are probably jumping the gun a bit... Don't think KyoAni will think that far when making Lucky Star...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 23:00   Link #1439
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's some imagery on clothing and stuff from the manga (which dates to 2004) that relates to the conversation I was having a few posts up:

spoilered for anyone fearful of seeing *anything* from the manga and there's a pic of Kona's parents in addition to some fashion pics from the comic
Spoiler:

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-19 at 23:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 23:01   Link #1440
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post

[EDIT for grammar]
It's possible that they're both derived from the same KyoAni design

(Note: There's a running gag that all KyoAni's women look similar and are only distinguishable by their hairstyles)
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen