AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-09, 00:34   Link #41
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Oho? This turns out to be one of those series I read a bit of it some time ago and forgot the name of it and now that I am watching it again I remember having read a bit of it.

That being said I thought it was a well done first episode - I will definitely give it a few more episodes.
Old 2016-07-09, 02:08   Link #42
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 1:
I don't know about this but it's similar to some earlier novels like Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

While it's still good thanks to Madhouse, I don't think they'll go any further than this.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 06:17   Link #43
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 1:

While it's still good thanks to Madhouse, I don't think they'll go any further than this.
Said like that, it sounds like the original material isn't good and that it's thanks to madhouse it's good. Hope you realize it's more of the other way around? .
Not that I dislike the way madhouse is handling this so far, tho. But it's good thanks to the original material here.
Old 2016-07-09, 08:18   Link #44
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Episode 1
  • The art is completely horrible. Everyone has sameface and weird lips.
  • The MC is interesting but his personality can be very easily used for annoying ecchi hijinks. Let's see which way this goes. They could have shown the MC feeling up the klutz medic but did not so that's a good start at avoiding that already.
  • The redhead female protagonist is annoying and very typical "kuudere warrior" character. She is there to keep the MC in line and will slowly start to fall for him, the usual story. Also going by the OP she is using swords? Why would you use swords against GUNS? LN Logic I guess? But seriously.
  • The loli is annoying(is she a loli? I can't tell with this art style). Hate royalty who is dumb and naive and has to be looked after by smarter people.
  • The rest of the cast is quite typical and generic. Typical comic relief fat guy, clumsy klutz "moe" medic, typical MC rival-friend. The usual tropes
  • Was fearing we'd spend the show with them in the "magic school" training to be soldiers but so far that has been avoided.
  • The setting is unclear and strange so far. It seems you have this empire and this republic who are for some reason at war and the republic wants to conquer the empire or whatever. Is the island they are at the start in part of empire? Maybe? How do the Mc and the redhead know each other? Is MC's story to the klutz medic about being orphan true or is it just a pick up line? What kind of exam were they going to before crashing? Why was a princess of a country without any sort of guard army? Is the setting steampunk or medieval? Too man questions and no answers so far, so it ends up being confusing.
  • Makes no sense they would have traveled this close to the border during wartime, btw. Really not sure how or where they were sailing to crashland in enemy territory. I guess the island they were in was by the border considering that throw away line by the random people the redhead was talking to? They should have made it clearer.

So far interesting, hopefully it improves.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 10:42   Link #45
Tenzen12

What exactly did Yatori to be annoying? At this point all her action were rather composed and reasonable. Actually by this point we know nothing that would say whether she is generic or not.

And considring she is Ikta's childhood friend who value his skills greatly and yet is perfectly fine with him sleeping around... even this "gradually falling for him" sound quite interesting.
Old 2016-07-09, 10:52   Link #46
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
What exactly did Yatori to be annoying? At this point all her action were rather composed and reasonable. Actually by this point we know nothing that would say whether she is generic or not.

And considring she is Ikta's childhood friend who value his skills greatly and yet is perfectly fine with him sleeping around... even this "gradually falling for him" sound quite interesting.
Kuudere Warrior trope is generally overused and exists in almost every single LN. The whole "cold on outside warrior woman who is all about HONOR and LOYALTY, but actually has sensual side hidden away" is so done to death that I can't help but cringe when I see it in a show. Especially when its such a straight use of the said trope as it is here.

He sleeps around? When was it said? Trying to get women into bed does not automatically mean the said person has succeeded with that. I don't see a LN show going there in regards of main character as there are some lines that market never crosses.
Also she did not seem to take his flirting with someone else that easily considering she had typical "romantic crush is being an idiot" reaction to it.
Old 2016-07-09, 12:45   Link #47
Applehell

Thought this was pretty solid first episode. A bit on slow side though. Ikta seems like the type of person that can get a little out of hand so Yatori's nosense personality contrast pretty welll with him to keep him in line.

Kind of surprised how average the animation is for a first episode...
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 13:05   Link #48
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Episode 1
  • The MC is interesting but his personality can be very easily used for annoying ecchi hijinks. Let's see which way this goes. They could have shown the MC feeling up the klutz medic but did not so that's a good start at avoiding that already.
  • I think it has been said enough already. No ecchi here. No harem.

Quote:
  • The redhead female protagonist is annoying and very typical "kuudere warrior" character. She is there to keep the MC in line and will slowly start to fall for him, the usual story.
  • The usual story, heh. Except they've known each other since a long time so if she hasn't already fell for him she has little reason to start now, considering they know each others very well. Besides, she's not even a kuudere. Stop trying to put characters into box they don't fit in like that, this habit from a part of the anime community is overly annoying and wrong.

Quote:
    Also going by the OP she is using swords? Why would you use swords against GUNS? LN Logic I guess? But seriously.
    Or maybe you can wait to learn what are the characteristics of those guns, as well as how are swordsmen used in battle in alderamin. It's not "ln logic" it's "tactical logic". Alderamin is a military novel. That's why its main tag is fantasy AND military. In other words, when it comes to military choice, it's well thought out and not just casting aside any form of logic .

Quote:
  • The loli is annoying(is she a loli? I can't tell with this art style). Hate royalty who is dumb and naive and has to be looked after by smarter people.
  • She is neither dumb nor naive. Look at how she's talking to them, and treating them. I'm sure you're glad to hear that since you hate both. She's still 12 years old right now, though. Remember that if she makes a little mistake somewhere, in the future.

Quote:
  • The rest of the cast is quite typical and generic. Typical comic relief fat guy, clumsy klutz "moe" medic, typical MC rival-friend. The usual tropes
  • No, it's cliché but not the bad type of cliché. Matthew isn't really here for comic relief, either. Well the anime may use him that way, I suppose. Hope not, 'coz matthew is a pretty cool character. The medic isn't a klutz, either.

Quote:
  • Was fearing we'd spend the show with them in the "magic school" training to be soldiers but so far that has been avoided.
  • No magic school. There is no school tag for it, that's for a good reason.

Quote:
  • The setting is unclear and strange so far. It seems you have this empire and this republic who are for some reason at war and the republic wants to conquer the empire or whatever.
  • Yeah the setting is unclear after only one episode. Who would have thought that setting is actually complex enough to not be explained in 5 lines, really.

Quote:
    Is the island they are at the start in part of empire? Maybe?
    They are not on an island. They thought at first that they stranded on some deserted island, but when the storm left, their recon showed that they were actually on the main continent, but... on the other side of the frontier, and therefore on enemy territory. This is said in the first episode btw.

Quote:
    How do the Mc and the redhead know each other?
    How did you and your childhood friends knew each other? Your most probable guess has good chance to be the most logical explanation. Yatori clearly said that her, Matthew and Ikuta were from the same promotion (IE, same school, same year). There may be more, but that's for sure not necessary to know more on that point for now, don't you think? They have like... more important things to deal with, right now.

Quote:
    What kind of exam were they going to before crashing?
    It is a bit harder to understand in the anime because of how fast they go on that part but it's still suggested. I suggest you listen back to the lines Yatori said to Ikuta before entering the ship. If it's still not enough, next episode should clarify it, so won't say anything.

Quote:
  • Makes no sense they would have traveled this close to the border during wartime, btw.
  • They didn't. They derived a LOT during the storm before being stranded. They're shocked when they realize how much they're away from their prior position when they learn where they are, look back in the episode, right after Torway and Ikuta finds out where they are. They derived for around two days. It is said when Matthew says that it's the first meal he had in two days.

Quote:
    Really not sure how or where they were sailing to crashland in enemy territory. I guess the island they were in was by the border considering that throw away line by the random people the redhead was talking to? They should have made it clearer.
    An island, yes, but not by the border, cf above.

Last edited by Zefyris; 2016-07-09 at 13:18.
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 14:12   Link #49
abhjetgon

Man, 1 thing is pretty clear from anime community's reaction to ep 1 :

Alderamin's greatest failure was being published & labeled as a Light Novel

"usual ln infodump & babble"
"typical ln redhead"
"generic self insert mc"
"cliche LN harem"

the ann review from hope chapman in particular, lol
abhjetgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 14:22   Link #50
Tenzen12

Mataku

People shouldn't get ahead their self and judge what they can see rather than what they don't. We have first episode and know literally nothing about characters or direction anime will go.
Old 2016-07-09, 14:25   Link #51
Applehell

I think that say more about the fact that you just stop reading ANN's impressions.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 14:40   Link #52
Tenzen12

it's not that bad 3 of 5 reviews were pretty much on spot (I looked on it just now) and honestly with this pace it really would need another 2 or three episodes even establish what kind of show it is in first place for non-novels readers

Problem are people who are not aware of that.
Old 2016-07-09, 14:46   Link #53
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
I think it has been said enough already. No ecchi here. No harem.
Its not unusual to expect that. That's usually what happens when MC is presented as "anti hero". Ex: Esthetics of Rogue Hero.

As I said, Show already got the positive points for doing the whole feeling up off-camera. That moment could have lent VERY easily to fanservice and since they did not do it then, hopefully that is indication that they won't use his traits for that.
Quote:
The usual story, heh. Except they've known each other since a long time so if she hasn't already fell for him she has little reason to start now, considering they know each others very well. Besides, she's not even a kuudere. Stop trying to put characters into box they don't fit in like that, this habit from a part of the anime community is overly annoying and wrong.
But that's all we have with the first episode?
She is rich, she is a redhead, she manhandles the main character, she is a warrior. So she is either tsundere or kuudere. The show did not exactly spend that much time establishing her beyond her supposed loyalty to the kingdom

Quote:
Or maybe you can wait to learn what are the characteristics of those guns, as well as how are swordsmen used in battle in alderamin. It's not "ln logic" it's "tactical logic". Alderamin is a military novel. That's why its main tag is fantasy AND military. In other words, when it comes to military choice, it's well thought out and not just casting aside any form of logic .
Would have been nice to have any sort of hint to that in the first episode. Having worries like that is only normal as having characters go up with swords against guns is VERY prevalent not only in light novels but in anime overall.

Quote:
She is neither dumb nor naive. Look at how she's talking to them, and treating them. I'm sure you're glad to hear that since you hate both. She's still 12 years old right now, though. Remember that if she makes a little mistake somewhere, in the future.
Then it would be nice for the show to highlight that(ex: it shows very well that MC is not dumb or naive).
The only things we have with the princess is her eavesdroping by the door and acting awkward, getting saved from the sea, being embarassed for being naked and being caught while peeing.

Not exactly easy to get a feel on a character when the highpoint of her screentime is MC shutting her rant up in hilarious way.

Quote:
No, it's cliché but not the bad type of cliché. Matthew isn't really here for comic relief, either. Well the anime may use him that way, I suppose. Hope not, 'coz matthew is a pretty cool character. The medic isn't a klutz, either.
YOu might know that from LN, but the anime so far did use them that way.
The keypoint about the medic was that she failed exams whatever they are multiple times and is easily embarassed.
The keypoint about that dude was that nobody knows who he is while he expects everyone to.
We did not exactly get anything else about them so they ARE exactly that right now. They might or might not grow past that but right now they are that.

Quote:
Yeah the setting is unclear after only one episode. Who would have thought that setting is actually complex enough to not be explained in 5 lines, really.
Having them drop a few lines at the start explaining "Country X is at war with Country Y beacuse of that and that" alongside the map could have been decent way to do it(instead of the pre-op scene that does not serve any real point).

Right now the plot is already beginning and I am still confusing the names of both countries. That is not good.

Quote:
They are not on an island. They thought at first that they stranded on some deserted island, but when the storm left, their recon showed that they were actually on the main continent, but... on the other side of the frontier, and therefore on enemy territory. This is said in the first episode btw.
I am talking about the island they were in at the start before boarding the ship. They talk about the island supposedly being taken over soon by the enemies but it is left very unclear at where that place is or what is it's status.

I mean it is not that hard having a character look at the map as a way to help the viewer to get a feel of the layout.

Quote:
How did you and your childhood friends knew each other? Your most probable guess has good chance to be the most logical explanation. Yatori clearly said that her, Matthew and Ikuta were from the same promotion (IE, same school, same year). There may be more, but that's for sure not necessary to know more on that point for now, don't you think? They have like... more important things to deal with, right now.
Well it is not made that clear. When she started talking about having him rig the exam or whatever, I started to think he is some sort of instructor or w/e. Some of inner narration could have helped. Actually having MC narrate the first episode and explain stuff would have helped.

Quote:
it is a bit harder to understand in the anime because of how fast they go on that part but it's still suggested. I suggest you listen back to the lines Yatori said to Ikuta before entering the ship. If it's still not enough, next episode should clarify it, so won't say anything.
Hopefully next episode will. Right now all I know is that they were going for some sort of exam somewhere for some reason.
Quote:
They didn't. They derived a LOT during the storm before being stranded. They're shocked when they realize how much they're away from their prior position when they learn where they are, look back in the episode, right after Torway and Ikuta finds out where they are. They derived for around two days. It is said when Matthew says that it's the first meal he had in two days.
That actually explains some things. I was wondering how they all got so friendly in single day. I guess the time passage was not emphasized well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjetgon View Post

"typical ln redhead"
"generic self insert mc"
"cliche LN harem"

Alas it is LN adaptation and it is fair to worry about those things since they are VERRRY prevalent in those kinds of stories.

As for infodump I'd say it was actually not enough of that. It would have been nice if the first episodes spent more time actually explaining how guns work, what kind of country they are in who is at war against them, etc, before throwing them all into the middle of the action.

These kinds of shows benefit for having hour long premieres usually too.

Right now anime onlies like me have only what is in the first episode and their previous experience with LN adaptations.
Old 2016-07-09, 14:58   Link #54
Tenzen12

Quote:
She is rich, she is a redhead, she manhandles the main character, she is a warrior. So she is either tsundere or kuudere. The show did not exactly spend that much time establishing her beyond her supposed loyalty to the kingdom
How did you even get "either tsundere or kuudere" from this? She could also be rich, redheaded, manhandling Yandere, dandere, tsundra, yangire onee-san or actually nothing of these. Why you just don't wait for character establish itself before deciding which box it belong and how well she would fare in it?
Old 2016-07-09, 15:08   Link #55
abhjetgon

@harry dresden I totally get your viewpoint mate.
Something like Qualadia code is where the skeptism about being a light novel totally applies, but alderamin stands out in it's execution.

Character dynamics & world dealings wont be clear until the 4-5th eps tho.
abhjetgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 15:41   Link #56
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:

OK, I'm going to say it more clearly. anything with "dere" in it implicates that she has romantic feelings. Why are you assuming she has some? Did she strike you as having some right now? I saw two friends with one acting as the stopper for the other one when he's going too far. Care to say me what gives you the feeling there is any romantic between the two? Because if you don't see any, then i'm going to have you retract any "dere" label you're pushing to that character.
Is it clearer now?

Quote:
Would have been nice to have any sort of hint to that in the first episode. Having worries like that is only normal as having characters go up with swords against guns is VERY prevalent not only in light novels but in anime overall.
yeah yeah yeah. You definitely need to say absolutely everything in the first episode. Including things that doesn't need top be said now for the plot. Just because someone, somewhere, may wonder about it and do not wish to wait for a proper moment in the show for that explanation. I'll propose that starting now, first episode of each series become an info dump of 2-5 hours long. That way we're sure no one will have any question remaining. *smh*

Quote:
Then it would be nice for the show to highlight that(ex: it shows very well that MC is not dumb or naive).
The only things we have with the princess is her eavesdroping by the door and acting awkward, getting saved from the sea, being embarassed for being naked and being caught while peeing.
That's the only thing you took from that? She's freaking emperor family. She's having no problem to act not only the par but also tolerate and allow everything needed by the situation right away, to admit her mistake, and to even move to help peoples. As a 12 years old from the Emperor Family she should just be used to be served, having someone dress her, and so on. Having everyone face against the ground is the kind of relationship she should have had her whole life. Yet she doesn't have any problem with discussing calmly with them face to face. When she could have ordered them despite what Ikuta said to her, and even order Ikta to be arrested/killed for what he did, instead she recognised her mistake, and left the decision to them.
I guess the anime needs to tell you everything, and cannot hint at things without telling it clearly. Don't worry, they'll be told more directly later, then.

Quote:
YOu might know that from LN, but the anime so far did use them that way.
The keypoint about the medic was that she failed exams whatever they are multiple times and is easily embarassed.
And from this, you deduce she's a moe klutz. The point isn't about me knowing more than you, but about you making conclusion from -as you yourself admitted-basically almost nothing. What part above has anything to do with being a klutz?

Quote:
The keypoint about that dude was that nobody knows who he is while he expects everyone to.
We did not exactly get anything else about them so they ARE exactly that right now. They might or might not grow past that but right now they are that.
Then if you didn't have any info, stop putting them in cases before knowing? That would be a logical choice for everyone, but it looks like I have to say it clearly once again?

Quote:
Having them drop a few lines at the start explaining "Country X is at war with Country Y beacuse of that and that" alongside the map could have been decent way to do it(instead of the pre-op scene that does not serve any real point).
Or maybe, just maybe, that's going to come up later.

Quote:
Right now the plot is already beginning and I am still confusing the names of both countries. That is not good.
You can confuse them all you want right now. The first episode was about putting the 6 character together and having them stranded, not about explaining you the history of this world.

Quote:
I am talking about the island they were in at the start before boarding the ship. They talk about the island supposedly being taken over soon by the enemies but it is left very unclear at where that place is or what is it's status.
What island? They were on the main continent; going toward an island, getting stranded in enemy territory. At no point the start told you it was an island, there is no reason to assume it's one either. What they're talking about is the place where the war is raging on (you know like, the frontier they're close from right now?), not an island.

Quote:
I mean it is not that hard having a character look at the map as a way to help the viewer to get a feel of the layout.
That could have been done yeah. What would you have removed in the episode to get that tho?

Quote:
Well it is not made that clear. When she started talking about having him rig the exam or whatever, I started to think he is some sort of instructor or w/e. Some of inner narration could have helped. Actually having MC narrate the first episode and explain stuff would have helped.
As I asked before, can't you wait the next episode? Really? Oo You want that + the map + more infos about each character + what else? If you wanted a 48 minutes long double episode, then just say it. That could have been a good idea, but it didn't happen. So there was no way to have all of that and you should realize that much.

Quote:
Alas it is LN adaptation and it is fair to worry about those things since they are VERRRY prevalent in those kinds of stories.
Sorry, you're talking to a LN/novel reader that is sick of the wrong and uncalled for bias that anime-only watchers have on LN. LN are novels. With absolutely all kind of stories and all kind of mc and all kind of stuff. Nothing is "really prevalent" in LN as a whole. A LN is a novel.

Quote:
As for infodump I'd say it was actually not enough of that. It would have been nice if the first episodes spent more time actually explaining how guns work, what kind of country they are in who is at war against them, etc, before throwing them all into the middle of the action.
So you wanted to know how gun works right from the first episode too. You really wanted a 48mn-1h long episode, don't you.

Quote:
These kinds of shows benefit for having hour long premieres usually too.
Well, yes, finnaly yo usaid it, that's a 1h long episode you wanted. No wonder you wanted to know so much stuff right away. I get it, and it's not a bad idea, but that's unfortunately not what you're getting. There was a simple solution for that tho. You could have waited for the third episode to be released and watch all three back to back. Here you have your one hour. When you launched the episode, you knew it wasn't 1 hour, so that's you who decided to watch it before that.

Quote:
Right now anime onlies like me have only what is in the first episode and their previous experience with LN adaptations.
You mean, experience like boogiepop phantom, jinrui wa suitai shimashita, spice and wolf, baccano, durarara, Fate/Zero, Gosick, Kara no Kyoukai, rokka no yuusha and the like? Well, doesn't sounds like a worrisome experience to me.

Last edited by Zefyris; 2016-07-10 at 05:37.
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 16:32   Link #57
LG-MAX 2.o

doubt, it has said how many episodes this series will have?
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 16:53   Link #58
moodie

People want more exposition? I was glad with the lack of. They didnt tell the audience what those creatures were and just showed their powers.

It seems like people dont understand that light novels can be adapted anyway the director feels like. If he wants to go info dump he can but he can just build the world instead. Grimar and Rokka were great examples of show not tell. This is another great example of not face fucking you with info. They got the gist of character traits and the situation without making you feel like a moron.

Sorry but if you want the light novel go ahead and read it im here for the anime.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 16:54   Link #59
Crazy Frog
Dead People

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
doubt, it has said how many episodes this series will have?
not announced yet. I hope this series have 2 cours so that we can enjoy nice ride to vol 7.
Old 2016-07-09, 22:29   Link #60
D-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjetgon View Post

"typical ln redhead"
"generic self insert mc"
"cliche LN harem"

I don't see community reacting like that, not even neogaf.
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy setting, light novel adaptation, military school, politics, tactics, warfare