AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-09-08, 22:19   Link #1
Kudryavka

TV to Work with Bluray

What p do I need my TV to be to work with Bluray and capitalize on the HQ it offers? I know it has to be digital. By p, I mean like 360p, 480p, 1080p. And also, can you play Bluray movies on a PS3 and have it be the same quality as that of a dedicated Bluray player?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:35   Link #2
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

720p TVs is generally the minimum you should be looking for when playing Blu-ray movies, though I would recommend 1080p. As far as I'm aware, the quality of playing a Blu-ray on a PS3 should be no different to playing it on a dedicated player.
My recommendation, though, is to make sure your TV supports HDMI (or get a HDMI cable if you already have a TV with a HDMI port), it will make watching those Blu-ray movies much easier (since they all have copy-protection).
Old 2011-09-08, 22:55   Link #3
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
720p TVs is generally the minimum you should be looking for when playing Blu-ray movies, though I would recommend 1080p. As far as I'm aware, the quality of playing a Blu-ray on a PS3 should be no different to playing it on a dedicated player.
My recommendation, though, is to make sure your TV supports HDMI (or get a HDMI cable if you already have a TV with a HDMI port), it will make watching those Blu-ray movies much easier (since they all have copy-protection).
Nice, now all I need is the TV.

Is HDMI a high definition cable? Does copy-protection mean I can't rip movies onto my computer?
Old 2011-09-08, 23:21   Link #4
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Is HDMI a high definition cable? Does copy-protection mean I can't rip movies onto my computer?
1. Yes. It stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface. Since HDMI outputs both video and audio via the same cable in HD quality, it is probably the easiest and most fool-proof method of watching Blu-ray movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

2. I can't really answer that question (forum rules). You should, however, look at these Wikipedia articles for a bit more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
Old 2011-09-09, 05:39   Link #5
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Specifically, AACS (and occasionally BD+) are the encryption schemes used to protect restrict people from accessing their legitimately purchased content. If you happen to live in a country where circumventing encryption schemes isn't illegal (i.e. no DMCA or similar law ) then Google should provide you with enough information.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 15:24   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Your display (TV, monitor, whatever) needs to support the HDCP DRM standard in order to play BDs.
Old 2011-09-10, 07:14   Link #7
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Your display (TV, monitor, whatever) needs to support the HDCP DRM standard in order to play BDs.
Rubbish

I'm still using a old CRT set and am still able to play blu ray discs.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 10:08   Link #8
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Rubbish

While strictly speaking true, you neglected to mention the future presence of the image constraint token (ICT) on Blu-ray discs.

Quote:
When using an AACS-enabled player, all components in the display chain (including the display panel) must be considered "secure". This security is enforced through the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) system, available on some devices which support DVI and HDMI video connections. If any components in the display chain do not support HDCP (such as a display connected to the player through analog connections like component, composite or S-Video) and the ICT flag is enabled, the player automatically reduces the high-definition video to the resolution of 960x540 pixels before outputting it. Hence, while higher resolution than that of a standard DVD, the resulting video signal is no longer truly high-definition.
When Blu-ray was first introduced there was an uproar amongst people who had HDTV's without HDCP support, so the movie studios agreed not to use the ICT on discs for a few years. Those few years are about to come to a close though [1,2]:

Quote:
...note that after January 1, 2011, the manufacturers of Blu-ray discs will be able (at their option) to insert an Image Constraint Token into any Blu-ray disc
Quote:
Discs with ICT will have to carry the ICT logo on the disc cover.
I don't think anyone has spotted a disc with an ICT logo on it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if some studios (notably those eagerly using the BD+ encryption scheme) decided to use it. In any case this post is a moot anyway as Komari wants to buy a TV and any semi-modern HDTV is going to have HDCP support. Somehow I don't think he's going to be getting a second hand analogue TV from ebay
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 21:25   Link #9
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Quote:
Does copy-protection mean I can't rip movies onto my computer?
check the rule of your country if this is legal. according to the facts I read some forums, ripping is allowed as long as the purpose is "backup" meaning you are allowed to backup only once. Please minimize asking this kind of sensitive question. You can google it and gather more information.
Reverzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 23:21   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, ripping is an unresolved question in some countries with laws both making it illegal and legal at the same time. The industry desperately tries to avoid having the laws tested in court. For example, I assert that "Fair Use" and the fact they "license" the content to me means I can damn well back it up (aka rip it to a HD) or they can damn well promise to replace the physical media if lost forever. When I license software for a server that's the way it works (yes, even with IBM). The industry is trying to play that its a license when its convenient for them and its a physical sale when its convenient to them and that would most likely fail in court.
Old 2011-09-11, 02:31   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Rubbish

I meant in 720p or 1080p, and if you're not going to play a BD in a HD resolution, what's the point of spending the extra on a BD when you can get a DVD cheaper?
Old 2011-09-11, 08:40   Link #12
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I meant in 720p or 1080p, and if you're not going to play a BD in a HD resolution, what's the point of spending the extra on a BD when you can get a DVD cheaper?
Well that was how you phrased it (and I'm planning on getting a HD set it's just being a partial NEET and with most of my money going to pay off other items until near the end of this year it's taking some time plus getting the BD player was because the BD drive in my PS3 partially packed up and I decided not to trust the replacement).
Old 2011-09-12, 00:45   Link #13
Kudryavka

Well thanks for all the answers. So copy protection is the same thing as that thing that prevents me from putting my own physical media on my iPod, huh. Didn't mean to offend, I honestly didn't know what copy protection was. Gonna take a wild guess that DMCA exists here in the States, so I won't ask about that anymore.

Anyways, off to get my TV!
Old 2011-09-12, 05:13   Link #14
Reverzer0
Sleeping

I would like to say you can do whatever you like for your own convenience because you bought and paid for the dvd at first place. The purpose of copy protected is to prevent from those extremely illegal activities. And yes you are prevented from putting it somewhere but i believe there are ways.

edited: a little advice, never mention in the public anything you want to do that has a copy protection or licenced.

Last edited by Reverzer0; 2011-09-12 at 05:26.
Reverzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 10:44   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Well thanks for all the answers. So copy protection is the same thing as that thing that prevents me from putting my own physical media on my iPod, huh. Didn't mean to offend, I honestly didn't know what copy protection was. Gonna take a wild guess that DMCA exists here in the States, so I won't ask about that anymore.

Anyways, off to get my TV!
And I'll say there are ways around most 'digital restrictions mangling' or crippling of legal personal use options (note: the FBI shit on the intro of most video disks is exactly that - misleading bullshit that the FBI certainly didn't write or approve of). Google is your friend
Old 2011-09-13, 08:22   Link #16
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
When Blu-ray was first introduced there was an uproar amongst people who had HDTV's without HDCP support, so the movie studios agreed not to use the ICT on discs for a few years. Those few years are about to come to a close though [1,2]:
What you linked to only affects blu ray players that are made from this year as a change in the BD standards came into affect this year meaning all BD players that have a model change from this year can only output high definition video through the HDMI and anyone using component cables would only get a below HD picture (the K chassis playstation 3 already has this addition enabled).