AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-14, 01:38   Link #1
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Ace Combat Infinity

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ace-com...dition=desktop

Exciting news. The Ace Combat series is probably my number 1 favorite franchise. Assault Horizon was...adequate. But didn't feel like the previous games. At this point, it looks like the series is returning to the old ways. Can't wait to see more. Hopefully there will be some news at the SDCC. If not then the Tokyo Game Show.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:49   Link #2
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm hoping that they'll take the best parts of all the Ace COmbat games and blend. Assault Horizon was fun and had great specatle (plus, I loved DFM - let's face it, everyone's been doing some form of manual DFM since Ace Combat), and mixed with the high points of the PS2 trilogy would be totally win.

Here's to hoping that this is a remake of Ace Combat 3. ANd that it'll come out for PC.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 04:56   Link #3
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I'd prefer any future use of DFM as purely optional. Or even a super mode of some sort.
Old 2013-07-14, 17:05   Link #4
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Here's to hoping that this is a remake of Ace Combat 3. ANd that it'll come out for PC.
If it's a remake, I'd guess it's more likely going to be one of Ace Combat 4. Infinity = Mobius (One), plus that bit about the sky falling reminds me of Ulysses 1994XF04.

Also, for everyone who keeps asking for more Strangereal, how many of you actually bought the remake of 2 on the 3DS? (I bought both the US and the Japanese release)
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 21:23   Link #5
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

nah, ace combat 4 (as good as it was) wasn't as good as Ace combat 5. 5 was a top 20 game on ps2, which given its library, is quite a feat.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 22:53   Link #6
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

The tagline of the website and name of the game, makes me suspect....space.

Heavens splitting open to create new heavens? Come on what else could that mean?
Old 2013-07-15, 22:54   Link #7
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I'd prefer any future use of DFM as purely optional. Or even a super mode of some sort.
That would be fine, but let's face it - EVERYONE was doing manual DFM during the glory days of the PS2 trilogy. Read up any walkthrough or guide, they all tell you the best way of ensuring a kill is to get right up their six and pop off a couple of Sidewinders.

But yeah, make it optional - it's there if you need it, but if you don't want to use it that's fine, and it recharges with time and kills. Make it so DFM recharges to maybe one bar via timed recharge, but if you stack up kills it'll recharge to 2-3 bars, giving you more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
If it's a remake, I'd guess it's more likely going to be one of Ace Combat 4. Infinity = Mobius (One), plus that bit about the sky falling reminds me of Ulysses 1994XF04.
That would actually be pretty sweet. Ace Combat 4 with Assault Horizon's engine? Yes, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
nah, ace combat 4 (as good as it was) wasn't as good as Ace combat 5. 5 was a top 20 game on ps2, which given its library, is quite a feat.
If we want to break down - 4's story was decent, but had excellent presentation; 5 had the more epic story, and Zero had the best thematic presentation.

If they're remaking the PS2 trilogy... holy fucking hells. That'd be awesome.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-07-15, 23:00   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The final dogfight epic track in Zero versus Pixie should be required dogfight music for all games.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 00:40   Link #9
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

I can see why it was called infinity AH was AC7 and when you turn an 8 sideways....
Old 2013-07-16, 01:00   Link #10
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
The tagline of the website and name of the game, makes me suspect....space.

Heavens splitting open to create new heavens? Come on what else could that mean?
Well, one could argue Square-Enix took a stab at this in the form of Project Sylpheed; I would be interested to see how the Project Aces team handles it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The final dogfight epic track in Zero versus Pixie should be required dogfight music for all games.
Ace Combat has, to my knowledge, never failed to deliver awesome tuneage... especially when it comes to last missions/final bosses.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 02:02   Link #11
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Nah, too much of a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Ace Combat has, to my knowledge, never failed to deliver awesome tuneage... especially when it comes to last missions/final bosses.
Surprisingly, for me IMO the best track in Assault Horizon was Keep Alive. I'd heard it on my iPad and thought it was cool. Then the mission. Flying an Apache to retake Moscow. And the music builds, the drums sound, excrement becomes coherent, and many posteriors experienced foot-based kinetic impact.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-07-16, 02:58   Link #12
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Well, one could argue Square-Enix took a stab at this in the form of Project Sylpheed; I would be interested to see how the Project Aces team handles it.

Project Slypheed was nothing like Ace Combat though. But I still love that game though. I think Project Aces can handle the departure from Earth to space. I have faith in them.
Old 2013-07-19, 03:10   Link #13
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

http://youtu.be/1ljDmBXWU2g

So...it lookss like the Ulysses asteroid hits our Earth...and...then all the fictional super weapons are built? Or...the strangereal world WAS our word at one point

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2013-07-19 at 03:23.
Old 2013-07-19, 06:46   Link #14
solidvanz
Special Operative

Confirmed as PS3 exclusive and available to download from PSN on September: http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/19/ace-co...usive-3889531/
Old 2013-07-19, 07:06   Link #15
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Why downloadable? What does that usually mean for a franchise?
Old 2013-07-21, 01:15   Link #16
solidvanz
Special Operative

Quote:
Why downloadable? What does that usually mean for a franchise?
It will be the first F2P (free-to-play) for Ace Combat series (Or it can be P2W (pay-to-win) from my experience with Gundam Battle Operation). Actually, Bandai Namco already done the same thing with Tekken Revolution which you need to download and play it online only.

Hopefully, it won't be another P2W games which involves a lot of real money to be spend just to win the match.
Old 2013-07-21, 02:25   Link #17
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidvanz View Post
It will be the first F2P (free-to-play) for Ace Combat series...
An unlock system adapted from Ace Combat 5 might work here: specifically, you start off with one or two basic planes, and others become available for purchase as you rank up. On top of that, some have variants; to unlock those for purchase, you have to fill their parent craft's XP bar (think materia in FF7; gems in Path of Exile). Example lifted directly from AC5 follows:
  • F-14A Tomcat: Complete Mission 9
  • F-14B Bombcat: Earn 47450 points with the F-14A
  • F-14D Super Tomcat: Earn 56250 with the F-14B
"So," one asks, "if this is a free-to-play game, what would be reasonable to have available for cash?" Special color schemes and contrail effects, of course - something Namco's already done with AC6 and AH, and they have a very large roster of possibilities from previous games; perhaps alternate BGM ala Ridge Racer 6 (on which note, they need to at least consider versions of the series' key choral tracks - such as 'Agnus Dei' or 'The Unsung War' - with the Idolm@ster girls on vocals).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 03:22   Link #18
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I'm trying to remain optimistic....but would really hate to see my favorite game series this route. Pay 2 Win and micro transactions....
Old 2013-07-21, 07:39   Link #19
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

A downloadable only and exclusive to PS3.... looks like it's going to be F2P game for sure. If this AC Infinity really is a F2P game, I guess the same thing would apply to the recently mentioned Soul Calibur The Lost Swords.

If Tekken Revolution is used as a comparison, this AC might use Assault Horizon's mechanic as a base (with several modifications). Then the missions can only be played by limited number of tickets which regenerates every certain timeframe and aircrafts are unlockable by using exp-like system. Don't really know about the weapons, and aircrafts have their own tiers too. In Tekken, the characters can be powered up but it's done by using the in-game currency.

For the real-life cash items, probably the tickets and cosmetic features mentioned by firefly00. Again, this is only assuming by looking at Tekken Revolution's system. In that game, the PSStore items so far are only customizations and tickets. So we can still win purely with our skills even without paying anything.
Old 2013-07-24, 00:14   Link #20
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I saw this posted over at 4chan.

Quote:
So apparently according to Kono's twitter, they're seriously not pursuing the ACAH2 avenue and are starting from ground zero in cultivating an Ace Combat AU again.
I'm not sure who Kono is, I'm guessing someone who has worked on previous games. But, going by what's said, they appear to be rebuilding the Ace Combat universe, but in our world.

This....isn't so bad. I'm not against the idea. It gives us super weapons, and super fighters, and brings us a changed world again. I'm interested.