AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-23, 14:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 0 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And now the thread for the special chapter that ties in with the upcoming movie! Some pretty interesting info we've got here:

-As was already known in the movie 10 thread, this chapter takes place 22 years ago, when many legendary figures such as Gold Roger, Gold Lion Shiki, Garp and Sengoku were in their prime. However, this chapter takes place around the time when Roger gave himself up to the marines.

-Shiki, who was Roger's rival at the time, was flabbergasted to learn that his rival was put under marine custody. Therefore, in order to learn the truth of Roger's capture, he decided to infiltrate Impel Down on his own.

-However, all did not go well, as Shiki ended up getting captured himself during his espionage mission. In the end, he's forced to cut off his own legs in order to escape the prison. We also learn that at the time Sengoku was an admiral, and that the fleet admiral at the time was someone named Kong.

Yep, very interesting info, indeed! Shiki already sounds like quite the badass if he was forced to amputate himself in order to escape from prison. I'm also interested in learning about Kong, as well. Does he still serve under the marines in the present? If not, then I wonder what he's doing now.....?

Ah, the pics just can't arrive fast enough......
Old 2009-11-23, 14:54   Link #2
james0246

^I don't know. Magellan and company clearly stated that Luffy was the first to infiltrate Impel Down.

That being said, cutting off his legs is more than adequete for depowering him so that Luffy could potentially fight him in the movie...but I will leave that for the Movie thread .

That being said, as a quick comment (a 'what-if...?'), should we rename this thread "Volume 000"? Specifically, there are other parts to this prologue than just Chapter 000, and they will be released with the film. So, maybe this should be the official Volume 000 Thread?
Old 2009-11-23, 15:07   Link #3
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I don't know. Magellan and company clearly stated that Luffy was the first to infiltrate Impel Down.

That being said, cutting off his legs is more than adequete for depowering him so that Luffy could potentially fight him in the movie...but I will leave that for the Movie thread .

That being said, as a quick comment (a 'what-if...?'), should we rename this thread "Volume 000"? Specifically, there are other parts to this prologue than just Chapter 000, and they will be released with the film. So, maybe this should be the official Volume 000 Thread?
Seems like good idea since they still more info that has to come out why not kept all over it in this thread.
Old 2009-11-23, 15:08   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:

Well, maybe Luffy was considered the first to infiltrate the prison because Magellan and co. were actually aware of his reason for doing so. Sengoku and Kong probably weren't aware that Shiki was trying to discover the truth about Roger's capture at the time.....

But yeah, Shiki's lack of lower limbs would certainly make an ideal handicap for Luffy when they battle in movie 10. Still, I'm pretty sure the guy will have an insane amount of power, with or without his legs. I remember back in East Blue when Zeff showed that he still had some incredible leg power despite having eaten one of his own legs to keep himself from starving. Something similar should apply to Shiki, as well.....

By the way, this may be kind of a stretch, but I wonder if Kong may be one of the Rokushiki masters who trained CP9? It would certainly be a nice excuse for Oda to use him as a future villain, if he were the assassin that Spandam sent to hunt down the traitorous Lucci and co.......

Quote:

Well, I guess it depends on exactly how much more info will be available when volume 0 comes out (it was never specified that it would contain any other chapters aside from chapter 0, for one thing). Until then, I think this thread should remain the chapter 0 thread. But again, I'll consider changing it depending on the content of volume 0......
Old 2009-11-23, 18:39   Link #5
james0246

One thing that I hope we do not see in this chapter is an actual encounter/battle between Shiki and Roger. Sure the spoiler claims that they are rivals (whatever that could mean), but I really did not want to see Roger in action against an opponent that was only created a year ago. That being said, I am still hoping to see a Whitebeard flashback, or some sort of Gaiden mini-arc that details Roger's actual power.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:37   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
The lack of limbs is not really a problem for the powerhouses. Shanks, who lost his arm and yet is an emperor, is a testament to that.
Old 2009-11-23, 21:11   Link #7
Rainbowman

So how thin is the line between canon and non-canon in this chapter linking to the movie?
Old 2009-11-23, 21:14   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The lack of limbs is not really a problem for the powerhouses. Shanks, who lost his arm and yet is an emperor, is a testament to that.
Losing an arm is extraordinarily different from losing both legs...in fact, they cannot even be compared considering that they perform such different functions.

That being said, it all depends on what Shiki's abilities are/were. For instance, if he had a DF that allowed him to fly, losing a leg wouldn't matter quite as much as if he had a DF that made him the fastest runner on the planet. In other words, Zoro would be drastically hindered if he were to lose an arm, but he wouldn't be quite as hindered if he were to lose a leg (sure it would still "harm" his abilities, but not as badly as losing an arm would), etc.
Old 2009-11-23, 21:24   Link #9
trafalgarcito

Quote:
Losing an arm is extraordinarily different from losing both legs...in fact, they cannot even be compared considering that they perform such different functions.

That being said, it all depends on what Shiki's abilities are/were. For instance, if he had a DF that allowed him to fly, losing a leg wouldn't matter quite as much as if he had a DF that made him the fastest runner on the planet. In other words, Zoro would be drastically hindered if he were to lose an arm, but he wouldn't be quite as hindered if he were to lose a leg (sure it would still "harm" his abilities, but not as badly as losing an arm would), etc.
isnt obvious that he lost both legs only because he can fly??????
Old 2009-11-23, 21:28   Link #10
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafalgarcito View Post
isnt obvious that he lost both legs only because he can fly??????
Wait, what? Is there a spoiler out that states Shiki can fly? The trailer indicates some ability to control wind (or something like that), but it hasn't been shown that he necessarily flies everywhere. That being said, if you would read my post again, I never claimed that losing a leg(s) wouldn't matter at all if you can fly, rather I said it wouldn't matter as much. Losing a limb still sucks unless stated otherwise.
Old 2009-11-23, 22:16   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
One thing that I hope we do not see in this chapter is an actual encounter/battle between Shiki and Roger. Sure the spoiler claims that they are rivals (whatever that could mean), but I really did not want to see Roger in action against an opponent that was only created a year ago. That being said, I am still hoping to see a Whitebeard flashback, or some sort of Gaiden mini-arc that details Roger's actual power.

Well, Oda already confirmed that Shanks was going to mention Shiki back in chapter 434, so we know that he was a character who was in the making for at least three years, even though he wasn't "officially" revealed until last year....

But even so, I don't expect to see a battle between Roger and Shiki, either. If an encounter between the two IS shown, then all we'll probably see is a brief bout that may briefly hint at both parties' true potential (like how we saw Shanks and Whitebeard split apart the sky). Otherwise, I don't think Oda wants to reveal Roger's abilities when the series is only at the halfway point.....

Anyway, no talk about Kong? As I said before (even if it's kind of a far-fetched theory), Kong may be the Rokushiki master who trained Lucci's generation of CP9. I mean, Coby already proved that marines can learn Rokushiki, so I don't see why the former fleet admiral couldn't have mastered such a deadly art, as well. Plus, considering that Spandam has so many connections within the government thanks to his dear ol' dad, I can easily see him ordering such a powerful marine to hunt down the former government assassins. I also have no doubt that the Straw-Hats will get mixed up in the ex-CP9's business at some point, and I'm interested in seeing how Luffy will fare against a former fleet admiral like Kong......

Oh, and before I forget, aohige posted this at AP:

Spoiler:

Man, it would be so awesome if this was how Kong really looked.....
Old 2009-11-23, 22:32   Link #12
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The final version concept art for the movie has shown that Shiki replaced his legs with swords after amputating them, though the question still remains on how he escaped Impel Down in the first place without legs before doing so.

It's been stated Shiki has a devil fruit power too, so I'm guessing that's how he did it.

I like this look into the past of the series, really allows for some development of the lesser characters that have been around longer chronologiclly-wise.
Old 2009-11-23, 23:39   Link #13
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Wait, what? Is there a spoiler out that states Shiki can fly? The trailer indicates some ability to control wind (or something like that), but it hasn't been shown that he necessarily flies everywhere. That being said, if you would read my post again, I never claimed that losing a leg(s) wouldn't matter at all if you can fly, rather I said it wouldn't matter as much. Losing a limb still sucks unless stated otherwise.
Chapter 530, Sengoku calls him Gold Lion, the Flying Pirate.
Old 2009-11-23, 23:49   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Chapter 530, Sengoku calls him Gold Lion, the Flying Pirate.
Couldn't that just mean his ship flies (as the trailer seemed to indicate)? That being said, does it matter? I was never doubting the potential for Shiki to have a DF that granted him the ability to fly (obviously, we do not know his abilities, so there is no real reason to discuss the positive or negative aspects of said potential abilities). Rather, I was discussing how much losing one’s legs could affect Shiki and whether this could be the "out" Oda potentially uses to make Luffy's defeat of Shiki acceptable in the film (i.e. a serious injury could reduce Shiki's power potential from its maximum to a more manageable (for Luffy) level).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-11-24 at 00:01.
Old 2009-11-24, 00:06   Link #15
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I dunno, but assuming he CAN fly, having swords for your legs might actually be an advantage over regular legs.
Old 2009-11-24, 00:13   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
I dunno, but assuming he CAN fly, having swords for your legs might actually be an advantage over regular legs.
Definitely a possibility. I can just imagine Shiki becoming a giant spinning dreidel (with blades) that floats through the air cutting everything...
Old 2009-11-24, 00:14   Link #17
marvelB

Heh, the sword-legs remind me of Kaku and his "four-sword" style. I guess Shiki uses Rankyaku-type attacks with his legs, as well? Also, maybe he uses something similar to the Geppou technique, which could have earned him his nickname of "Flying Pirate"......
Old 2009-11-24, 00:30   Link #18
trafalgarcito

Quote:

Quote:
thats what i mean...if you go to the movies you expect a difficult opponent, you are not paying to see luffy punch a crippled guy??? (cruel, i know) so i think is safe to assume that leg-less shiki >legged shiki in terms of potential damage to luffy....plus he is the anti-enel, how is luufy going to beat a flyning spinning blade? its practically his "natural weakness"!! thats great for the movie!!
Old 2009-11-24, 00:47   Link #19
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafalgarcito View Post
thats what i mean...if you go to the movies you expect a difficult opponent, you are not paying to see luffy punch a crippled guy??? (cruel, i know) so i think is safe to assume that leg-less shiki >legged shiki in terms of potential damage to luffy....plus he is the anti-enel, how is luufy going to beat a flyning spinning blade? its practically his "natural weakness"!! thats great for the movie!!
It depends. The spoilers claim that Shiki viewed himself as a rival to Roger, whether that means they were equal is unknown, but if they were equal, and Shiki is comparable in strength to when he equaled Roger/Whitebeard, then the plot contrivance needed to defeat Shiki will be monumental.

...But, this is a discussion best left for the Movie 10 Thread. I apologies for interrupting the Chapter 000 Discussion.
Old 2009-11-24, 01:50   Link #20
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
he were the assassin that Spandam sent to hunt down the traitorous Lucci and co.......
What?

Kong was a former FLEET ADMIRAL..what is he doing being ordered around by the likes of Spandam?

What you say makes zero sense whatsoever.