AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-10, 16:53   Link #101
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I thought the New Year's episode did a great job of undoing all the shipping-fodder (some would say "yuri-baiting") of the earlier episodes and showing us how Teko and Pikari really relate to each other. They care about each other, even love each other, but that "love" is not romantic in nature.

Teko is an introvert. It's New Year's Eve, and when left to her own devices, she's perfectly happy staying home by herself and looking at her photos. When Pikari invites her over, she assumes it's just going to be the two of them and Grandma. When other people show up, she gets anxious and admits that she feels alone when she's in a big group.

Introverts don't form many relationships, but when they do, it's deep and intense. You can mistake it for something romantic, but that's not necessarily the case. With some people, it's more likely not to be romantic.

Pikari, on the other hand, is an extrovert. She draws her energy from being in a group. Having Teko over for New Year's Eve is fun, but having more people over is more fun. That's not to say she's shallow or that she doesn't really care about Teko. Certainly she loves Teko, and maybe cares more for Teko than for anyone else, but it doesn't have the kind of exclusivity you'd find in a romance.

And actually, it's probably good for Teko that Pikari likes being around so many other people. She'd get exhausted otherwise.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 18:26   Link #102
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Another great episode of Amanchu, getting back to business as usual no problem, giving us fun times, valuable lessons and more on the young and not so young sides of Pikari's family. Great stuff.

Oh, and watching Teko and Kokoro share Pikari was adorable and hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Nothing like a little acqua alta to get the blood flowing, am I right?
It's been a while, but I must say, I'm personally a bit ashamed for not having noticed that reference. Not enough flowers, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Too bad they're skipping the shrine visit, but it was another supernatural story so I guess most people wouldn't have liked it.
I would have, but as explained previously, this wasn't my first dive (no pun inteded, I swear) into the supernatural in this universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I thought Advance meant Teko's journey towards getting an Advanced Diver's License.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
It is, as well: clever title, really, since it does the job of both indicating Futaba's goal of getting advanced certification and moving forwards. The latest episode deals with just this, as well: cherishing the past and embracing the future.
I only noticed this half through the Peter arc, but yes, it is a very good use of "mandatory sequel subtitle" for a change.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-11, 12:40   Link #103
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I thought the New Year's episode did a great job of undoing all the shipping-fodder (some would say "yuri-baiting") of the earlier episodes and showing us how Teko and Pikari really relate to each other. They care about each other, even love each other, but that "love" is not romantic in nature.
That's funny, I thought it was the opposite. They had Teko and Pikari holding hands, which didn't happen in the manga (like quite a few of the yuri moments present in the anime). Yes, I know girls can hold hands and just be friends, but the mood made it feel more romantic in nature, at least on Teko's side. And on a meta level, why do you think the staff would add something like that, if not to tease the audience further?
Old 2018-06-11, 20:58   Link #104
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
That's funny, I thought it was the opposite. They had Teko and Pikari holding hands, which didn't happen in the manga (like quite a few of the yuri moments present in the anime). Yes, I know girls can hold hands and just be friends, but the mood made it feel more romantic in nature, at least on Teko's side. And on a meta level, why do you think the staff would add something like that, if not to tease the audience further?
Meh. As I said after Episode 8 of Hibike! Euphonium, "It's there if you want it to be." There are probably people in the industry who throw little Easter eggs in like that just for the benefit of people who look for them. If that's supposed to be the telltale sign they're a romantic couple, it's a pretty obscure one.

I haven't read the manga, so I didn't know there was any difference, and the hand-holding didn't register with me at all. Pikari's sister is shown holding hands with another girl in the OP every week. Not a big deal.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2018-06-11 at 22:22.
Old 2018-06-12, 02:23   Link #105
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Since you have brought up Hibike! Euphonium, I believe Pikari and Teko's relationship is much closer to that of Nozomi and Mizore than that of Kumiko and Reina. The shy and inexpressive Mizore's world revolved around the energetic and expressive Nozomi who was her only friend in middle school.

There is a big possibility of romance in Amanchu! but the anime probably won't reach that point of the manga unless there is a third season. All I can say that one of the them is bordering around falling in love but I won't reveal who with whom.

I have read up to chapter 79 - which came as a big surprise at the end but it was toned down significantly in the subsequent final panel giving a huge sigh of relief for many fans - for the time being that is. There's no guarantee that it won't happen - eventually. I am happy either way so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 2018-06-16, 17:29   Link #106
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

There it is. Yuri denied, SS route unlocked. Curious to read the reaction of people who haven't been spoiled, if there are any. I remember being more shocked than anything else when I read the manga (see Ai? Pretty much me). I really didn't see it coming.
Old 2018-06-16, 20:55   Link #107
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

My radar never picked any from the very beginning. I always thought they were really close and formed a very special friendship. Nothing more than that. Amano-sensei works on deep friendship and admiration. All of her stories are like that.
Old 2018-06-16, 21:37   Link #108
Ernietheracefan

r/anime is burning right now..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 23:24   Link #109
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
There it is. Yuri denied, SS route unlocked. Curious to read the reaction of people who haven't been spoiled, if there are any. I remember being more shocked than anything else when I read the manga (see Ai? Pretty much me). I really didn't see it coming.
It's funny because I was the opposite. I thought in the very beginning that Kokoro was a boy, but with everyone referring to Kokoro as a girl, and with how long it went on, I figured my first impression must have been wrong. I feel vindicated now, my shota senses still work.
Old 2018-06-16, 23:26   Link #110
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I crouch. Then stand. Then crouch. Then stand again. Let the people at r/anime burn, then. There is nothing to get worked up over about this.
Old 2018-06-16, 23:47   Link #111
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

If r/ is burning over this then wait when they announce S3. Meanwhile they are still clinging to the little hope they have in Hibike!
Old 2018-06-17, 01:18   Link #112
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Okay, first of all, as a Southern California resident, I've got to say... WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING SETTING THE GRASS ON FIRE??? Where I live, you don't need a fancy ritual to set the grass on fire. It will do that all by itself - and you don't want to be around when it does.

There, I feel better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I thought in the very beginning that Kokoro was a boy, but with everyone referring to Kokoro as a girl, and with how long it went on, I figured my first impression must have been wrong.
I was confused too, and that's when I went looking online and stumbled across the manga chapters this episode covered. (They seem like recent chapters, too. Has the anime almost caught up to the manga?)

If r/anime is blowing up, then I'm better off not being there. I already knew that, but it's nice to have your instincts confirmed.

So Teko's not gay, and not romantically in love with Pikari. Big woop. As you can see, it made no difference to the way they relate to each other.

So Kokoro has a puppy crush on Pikari. Not surprising, given the adventure they had with the octopus mom and her babies. Nothing's going to come of it any time soon. In a few years, who knows? But not now.

Pikari is Pikari. Like I said last week, she's an extrovert. She draws her energy from groups. When she was sitting there moping about being sick, she didn't say, "I wish Teko, the love of my life, was here." She didn't say, "I wish Kokoro was here." She said, "I wanted to eat cake with everyone."

To be honest, I don't know whether Pikari's gay or straight, and I'm not sure she knows herself, or even cares. That's not what she's about, and knowing Kokoro's a boy isn't going to change that.
Old 2018-06-17, 11:21   Link #113
Ernietheracefan

Finally we're seen two Hikaris in one screen..!!

Dammit Kokoro, acting cool in front of Pikari was your intention all along..

I hope Sayaka Ohara will voicing Mama Pikari..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 15:58   Link #114
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Okay, first of all, as a Southern California resident, I've got to say... WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING SETTING THE GRASS ON FIRE??? Where I live, you don't need a fancy ritual to set the grass on fire. It will do that all by itself - and you don't want to be around when it does.
Near where I live there are railroad tracks and at least once a year (thanks to the extra CO2 in out atmosphere that makes plants grow faster) they (Kansas City Southern) put on fire the plants, which I would think it is a form of controlled fire which could get out of control if let to burn on its own every five or more years.

Now, back on track, Amanchu is not sound euphonium, any yuri is subtext at best, which means it is not part of the main history, anyone getting angry because no yuri has been confirmed is belittling this series, they might as well say "this is boring, when are they gonna kiss? better still, I want to see them doing the nasty".
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 16:24   Link #115
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan View Post
Finally we're seen two Hikaris in one screen..!!
About time; I was wondering when Kotori would meet Futaba and the others for real.
Old 2018-06-17, 21:53   Link #116
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Near where I live there are railroad tracks and at least once a year (thanks to the extra CO2 in out atmosphere that makes plants grow faster) they (Kansas City Southern) put on fire the plants, which I would think it is a form of controlled fire which could get out of control if let to burn on its own every five or more years.
Oh yes, we have "controlled burns" out here, too. But not with an audience, because it's way too easy for them to get out of control. People are told to stay away, not come and help out.

Quote:
Now, back on track, Amanchu is not sound euphonium, any yuri is subtext at best, which means it is not part of the main history, anyone getting angry because no yuri has been confirmed is belittling this series.
Right there with you on that one. I'm always cheering for people who are close to each other without getting it on. I personally would say the same thing about Euphonium Season 1, which was the only season that held my interest.
Old 2018-06-23, 12:30   Link #117
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

What an incredible ride that was. Advance definitely lives up to its name.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2018-06-24 at 15:10.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 17:15   Link #118
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The last episode was wonderful. The night dive was really well done, and Teko got some nice moments with Mato and more specifically Pikari. So many embarrassing lines! But they're not forbidden here.

If I had one complaint, it'd be about Towano saying "long time no see" to Mato. You mean they're not together?! I feel cheated.
Old 2018-06-23, 21:13   Link #119
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A very nice way to end with a night dive

9/10 Need more
Old 2018-06-24, 06:12   Link #120
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep sea diving, slice of life