AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-06-03, 23:28   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 789 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay guys, the spoiler's out! And there's a summary available courtesy of AP's Redon and Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Lucy!!". Splash page features Shanks.

-The Birdcage has finally reached the palace, and this time it's King Riku's turn to help stop the cage as he and Tank Lepanto push against it. As far as Viola goes, she unfortunately proves to be no match against Doflamingo, and is already wounded. the warlord asks her if she thought he'd ease up on her due to working together for a decade. He then adds that while he'll forgive failures and mistakes, he will NOT forgive treachery. He then uses his Parasite puppetry to make Rebecca attack her!

-Meanwhile, Gatz gets on the mic, and tells everyone that the star of the coliseum, Lucy (aka Luffy), will rise again to finish off Dofla. After explaining the situation to the citizens, he directly tells the false king himself that this ring will become his execution ground. As it turns out, Gatz is actually trying to provoke Dofla to draw his attention away from controlling Rebecca...

Only ten seconds remain until Luffy recovers. Most of the gladiators pass out due to Mansherry's temporary healing power wearing off (and which cannot be used again on the same person twice), and as the countdown continues, the people chant Lucy's name. As just one second remains, Dofla himself pierces Gatz' stomach! At the same time, the possessed Rebecca prepares to land the finishing blow on her aunt, who forgives her actions, knowing she's not acting upon her own will..... but then Law uses Shambles to switch Viola with Luffy, who has now recovered! He covers his head with haki, shattering Rebecca's blade! She too yells out his "Lucy" ringname when she sees him....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-06-04 at 00:02.
Old 2015-06-03, 23:57   Link #2
marvelB

Well, that didn't take long. Updated summary is here!

Also, I'm sure that Oda is currently laughing maniacally behind his desk, knowing that he cockblocked his readers for another week with his latest break.
Old 2015-06-04, 00:09   Link #3
The One Above God
Kamijou

Ugh, another cliffhanger...another week of suffering.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
Old 2015-06-04, 00:15   Link #4
marvelB

Oh, and one more thing: To hell with any "walking-pair-of-boobs-of-the-week for nakama", I wanna see Gatz join Luffy! Dude is a real bro, and he would fill the oh-so-important position of official crew commentator! And hey, what's not to like about the Straw-Hats having their own Speedwagon?
Old 2015-06-04, 02:43   Link #5
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Things should've ended this way :

-Dofla pulling Viola+Rebecca toward himself to end both with strings. Law does his trick and replaces both with a berserked Luffy unleashing a full speed haki infused jet bazooka and destroys a shocked Dofla before he can react.

All these breaks and side effects to story...Was this Viola+Rebecca drama really necessary here?
Old 2015-06-04, 03:05   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

No OP next week.

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Oda really doesn't want Doflamingo to fall...
Quote:
Was this Viola+Rebecca drama really necessary here?
Not really, no. Just needed something to make Luffy's comeback a bit more awesome.
Old 2015-06-04, 03:30   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Not really, no. Just needed something to make Luffy's comeback a bit more awesome.
Sounds about right. I feel that this chapter wasn't quite up to par with the previous 2 in terms of tension and things happening.

Good on Gatz though, for buying the last crucial seconds to let Luffy recover and save Violet and Rebecca. But aside from that, this could have been better had Oda gone a different way to provide tension in this final countdown.
Old 2015-06-04, 03:36   Link #8
danielevo

Im curious about how Luffy will strike down Doflamingo with ONE HIT.. In my opinion, Luffy will not use Gear 4 again, because doflamingo already seen how Gear 4 work and it will not effective against Doflamingo if Luffy use it again, moreover Luffy want to take down Doflamingo in ONE HIT!

So I think Luffy will use another Badass technique like Invisible Gatling Gun that knock down Rob Lucci but with haki or flame,, or maybe Luffy will use Gear 5.

But no chapter next week Lol
Old 2015-06-04, 05:29   Link #9
marvelB

And on yet another note..... I actually find the dog on the splash page kinda freaky. I dunno, I just find it a little creepy that Oda gave the pooch a somewhat more "realistic" looking animal face than the more cartoony mugs he usually gives his animals.
Old 2015-06-04, 05:49   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The dog is a hard-boiled detective, it's srs business :P
Quote:
Im curious about how Luffy will strike down Doflamingo with ONE HIT.. In my opinion, Luffy will not use Gear 4 again, because doflamingo already seen how Gear 4 work and it will not effective against Doflamingo if Luffy use it again, moreover Luffy want to take down Doflamingo in ONE HIT!
I am actually expecting Luffy to go gear 4 double cannon right in the sunglasses, he can twist his path and land a hit without issues...and he really shouldn't need more than a hit in Doflamingo's state.
Old 2015-06-04, 06:43   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

That "ROOM" timing from Law is just perfect...

and give credits to the gladiators for buying a lot of time to prevent a family tragedy
Old 2015-06-04, 07:15   Link #12
P_Dezz

Surprised no more of the fight between Burgess and Sabo was shown. I also thought we'd get a glimpse of CP0 observing things, or talking amongst themselves, in this little break of the final fight. Well, let's just enjoy the end of Dressrosa now
Old 2015-06-04, 07:36   Link #13
itachi-san314

it's a good thing Luffy's recovery time was so exact might have been awkward if he required 6 more seconds or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
All these breaks and side effects to story...Was this Viola+Rebecca drama really necessary here?
well it did further Rebecca's character arc of being more useless every time we see her. now she's actually detrimental to the cause.
Old 2015-06-04, 07:46   Link #14
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
Surprised no more of the fight between Burgess and Sabo was shown. I also thought we'd get a glimpse of CP0 observing things, or talking amongst themselves, in this little break of the final fight. Well, let's just enjoy the end of Dressrosa now
Is CP0 even present anymore?
I got the impression they were just on Dressrosa to cover up for the fake newspaper and went home afterwards.

BTW, even if Doffy is defeated now, the whole country is basically destroyed. Not so good for the people.
Old 2015-06-04, 08:20   Link #15
II Maestro

Uwah~! so Luffy just wasted a surprised attacked on Doffy just to stop Rebecca.
Old 2015-06-04, 08:57   Link #16
Gilly

Was it really necessary to stretch those 10 minutes into 4 chapters? All that has happened in them was everyone pushing the Birdcage and Gatz running away with Luffy. And just when things are about to get serious, there's a break again. Last time it was Luffy going Gear 4, now it's him getting up. This is ridiculous.

Maybe Oda wants to end Dressrosa in chapter 800?
Old 2015-06-04, 09:15   Link #17
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Was it really necessary to stretch those 10 minutes into 4 chapters? All that has happened in them was everyone pushing the Birdcage and Gatz running away with Luffy. And just when things are about to get serious, there's a break again. Last time it was Luffy going Gear 4, now it's him getting up. This is ridiculous.
Imagine what this will be like in the anime; that 10 minutres will take 70 minutes to get through. Doesn't quite beat the destruction of Namak, but that's gonna be painful pacing.

Though ya, this defintely feels like its been going on for too long. We didn't need viola and Rebecca (Did anyone actually expect Rebecca to be useful?), and we didn't need inspirational speeches by both Riku AND Gatz. One or the other was ok, but both just feels tedious. Oda should have just allowed Luffy to make his recovery and launched his final attack during this chapter instead of the next.
Old 2015-06-04, 09:32   Link #18
james0246

Good chapter. The Rebecca/Viola drama was a bit pointless, especially since they were reduced into an annoying damsel(s) in distress. Still, Gatz was a boss, and the countdown really added to the tension (as countdowns often do). And while I would have preferred Luffy appearing and simply destroying Doffy before the break, breaking a sword with his head is still nice (sadly, I also can't help but read the image as Luffy permanently taking away Rebecca's "power" or at least the power she has used up to this point).
Old 2015-06-04, 09:50   Link #19
Homura7

Doflamingo is the greatest villain of One Piece, no questions. Blackbeard is going to have to step up his game.
Old 2015-06-04, 09:52   Link #20
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i love the 0% i can barely stand and talk about to fall over luffy to fully powered haki I can take a sword to the head version in just seconds..