AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-06-04, 12:11   Link #481
Galaxian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
My favorite part was Deku getting angry at seeing Todoroki actively hurting himself by only using his ice quirk in order to spite his father.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-04, 13:43   Link #482
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: under my covers
Great episode, loved Todoroki's backstory. But all I could think during this episode was "50 Shades of Purple" xD
__________________
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-04, 14:11   Link #483
LevelSeven
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Oh common, let's not ignore everything that happened before that. The "it is your power" only had meaning because of all the build up, resolve and the pressure Deku did to Shoto. Everything in the episode contributed to the final outcome. Not just because Deku said one sentence.
it was the first time he listened but that doesnt change the fact that that line was the one that caused the change...
Quote:
I beg to disagree, regarding to science at least. The whole point of it is going beyond and chalenging established rules to achieve something new. When someone said humans could fly, the rational thinking to that is calling bs to such idea. Yet, the one thinking outside of the box and trying to prove the "impossible" will have greater chances of achieving something unique compared to the ones just contented with what they already have. That's why being "crazy" can help, at least, regarding some peculiar situations.
agree on that point, this is why i said they are exceptions, most stuff is found out via time and by repeated testing...
Quote:
Definitely will help in these shonen world tho .
yup
Quote:
Also, becoming the greatest in certain areas (in this case, heroes) is already an exception to the rule since only a few achieve it!
if only the "exceptions" (eg. the crazy-thinkers) achieve that place than yes
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-04, 17:05   Link #484
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
It was a great battle, loved the animation, the drive and the characters. I could see the exact moment that Deku changed tactics and goals from trying to simply win, to doing everything he could to save Shouto's sanity.

I'm not going to say it was the best fight of the series. My favorite still goes to the All Might fight at the end of last season. However, it is definitely a close number two.

You really feel so bad for Shoto and his family and that they all have to have that monster as an overlord rather than a father. I know many people are chastising Deku, but I still have to admire him in spite of his flaws. He really IS similar to All Might. He will risk anything to save another, which can be both a flaw and a strength. All this time Shoto really was rather lukewarm about everything. His ice power was always enough, he could always do insta-wins, so he never had any need to go all out. And because of that, he wasn't growing. He was just stagnant. And being stagnant allowed his issues with his Dad to fester and fester badly. He forgot about why he was doing what he was doing, in a way, his dad was still winning because he was taking up all of Shoto's thoughts. Deku had to make that battle hard enough that Shoto could no longer do what he's always done to win, he had to finally go beyond and do his own plus ultra.

Some say it wasn't a matter of life or death, and that it was just some school event, Shoto's mentality was poisonous and would have affected how he became a hero, if he ever did. It would have affected how he fought later battles and how he saved lives. How many future lives has Deku saved by pushing Shoto to give his all and being able to reach him when no one else could or even attempted? Sure, perhaps Shoto would have realized it on his own, but he also might not have. It was very risky and dangerous, but I still am proud of Deku even though he lost the match.
I am proud of Deku. He could have won this match if that was his sole purpose. Todoroki wasn't willing to use his fire and the longer that fight went on the more even the playing field. That frost was slowing Shoto down and Deku was more used to pushing himself while in agonizing pain. But glad he took that moment to not simply give his all in this match, but save Todoroki at the same time.

It certainly wasn't a fight where death was a likely result, but certainly this fight was all about life. I agree that Shoto's mindset and lifestyle was becoming toxic for him. He might get himself hurt or killed in the future (or someone else might end up like that) because he isn't used to using his fire or can't decide whether to use it or not in a crisis. Getting wrapped up in his rage towards his father might have lead to Shoto ending up like him. Not unheard of for the abused to become an abuser themselves.

If Deku wanted to save him this was an opportune chance. A 1 on 1 matchup where he could push things and get Shoto's absolute attention. Still it was a risk for Deku. Certainly his rush headfirst into danger instinct is a pro and con, but at times like this it really is a heroic quality. His actions meant something when he went to save Ochaco during that entrance exam and they meant something again here.

And really when Deku knows something is wrong he can't ignore it. He knew to a degree how screwed up Todoroki's past was. Combined with all the other things driving him (his own goals, All Might, the support he's had from individuals like Ochaco, etc) he had to go all out.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 12:03   Link #485
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
The reason why Recovery Girl and the other teachers are worried is that obviously there IS a limit to how much can be healed. Like all other Quirks, Recovery Girl's isn't unlimited, and it uses up the healed person's own stamina (as Uraraka said), so obviously it can't heal anything so grievous the person doesn't have enough stamina to make up for.

Also,

*mod snip*



Yeah, exactly, it's not the same thing. Todoroki was holding back for reasons unrelated to the fights. For Deku it would be simply a matter of tactical calculation. Better to risk it all this time at the cost of his body's integrity, or to hold on for now and wait for a better chance once he's trained OFA more?
My point is that yes, there is a limit, but unless that limit is actually reached, there is no problem.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 13:11   Link #486
Ultragunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
IIRC, Recovery Girl's quirk only amplifies/speeds up the natural healing process of the injuries, it doesn't actually "heal" them like a healing spell in RPG.

Some of u may know, repeated injuries are never good, especially when it comes to joints. For example ACL tear, after a few or even ONE incidence, some athletes might never be the same despite all the treatment and rehab, it depends on the individual. And Deku, at his best, is just an average (or even below average) when it comes to physical prowess, yes he has trained his body and built up some muscle, but he is still just a normal human.

As I have posted previously, All Might can greatly inspires others (even Bakugou and Todoroki), but he is a bad teacher, for Deku at least.
The root of the problem is that Deku still has access to OFA's full power, despite being nowhere near capable of handling it.
IMO, the best thing for now is that there should be a "seal" on Deku's OFA such that he can only use the amount of power his body can take.

Well, that's just my opinion anyway
__________________
Ultragunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 15:06   Link #487
Galaxian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Character design sheet for him...

Spoiler for Future character:
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 15:12   Link #488
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
I won't say All Might is a bad teacher.He's a new teacher. There is a difference.

Having been a new teacher, and I still am to a degree, there are plenty of mistakes that you are going to make starting out. It's just how it is. No matter how much training you have, no teacher is going to start out perfect. And he's only been teaching for about half a year, and not even as a full-time thing, so of course he's not going to be the best.

However, I think that he's the best teacher for Deku. It's someone who knows One For All inside and out. He also knows the professional superhero circuit better than anybody. He's also someone who understands Izuku and knows how his past quirkless self affects his actions and decisions, and he can also relate to what it is like to have a power that you are not born with and so have to hone it much later than most others with their natural quirk abilities.

He has made mistakes but he's learning just like Izuku. Being great at your field doesn't mean that you'll be great at teaching it. But All Might's doing well so far, he'll continue to learn better ways to teach as he gains experience.

Sure Deku's abilities would be great if they had a "seal" on it, but it doesn't. That's just the way things are. Life isn't perfect. So he'll have to deal with it as it is. And he won't know where he's limits are if he doesn't push them. And also think of it this way, from what we've seen of Deku, he would risk his life, powers or no powers, if he thought it was the right thing to do. And he would do it without much of a second thought, or even no thought to his own safety.

And while Cementoss was thinking that Deku was probably thinking that Recovery Girl could just heal him, I don't think Deku was thinking that at all. His mind was completely on his goal and he wasn't even thinking about how hurt he was getting. His mind was completely on the task at hand. Sure that might not be wise to think that way, but it's as much a part of Deku as say, a hot temper is part of Bakugo
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 15:23   Link #489
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
it was the first time he listened but that doesnt change the fact that that line was the one that caused the change...
Eh, there are plenty of cases where words just aren't enough to get through to poeple. Actions speak louder than words, and one thing Deku wanted to make clear was the idea that everyone was trying their best, giving it everything they had to win while Todoroki was trying to get by on just half his power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm fairly sure he didn't lose his arms and is in fact going to be just fine. So what you say makes no sense. It's pointless to think about situations that don't occur.
Its not pointless at all. Basic safety means always considering what COULD occur. Sure Deku might not have cause permanent damage to himself this time, but what about next time, or the time after that? What if the repeated injuries build up to create that permanent damage? This kind of behavior is extremely dangerous for deku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Character design sheet for him...

Spoiler for Future character:
Spoiler:
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 15:45   Link #490
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I won't say All Might is a bad teacher.He's a new teacher. There is a difference.

Having been a new teacher, and I still am to a degree, there are plenty of mistakes that you are going to make starting out. It's just how it is. No matter how much training you have, no teacher is going to start out perfect. And he's only been teaching for about half a year, and not even as a full-time thing, so of course he's not going to be the best.

However, I think that he's the best teacher for Deku. It's someone who knows One For All inside and out. He also knows the professional superhero circuit better than anybody. He's also someone who understands Izuku and knows how his past quirkless self affects his actions and decisions, and he can also relate to what it is like to have a power that you are not born with and so have to hone it much later than most others with their natural quirk abilities.

He has made mistakes but he's learning just like Izuku. Being great at your field doesn't mean that you'll be great at teaching it. But All Might's doing well so far, he'll continue to learn better ways to teach as he gains experience.

Sure Deku's abilities would be great if they had a "seal" on it, but it doesn't. That's just the way things are. Life isn't perfect. So he'll have to deal with it as it is. And he won't know where he's limits are if he doesn't push them. And also think of it this way, from what we've seen of Deku, he would risk his life, powers or no powers, if he thought it was the right thing to do. And he would do it without much of a second thought, or even no thought to his own safety.

And while Cementoss was thinking that Deku was probably thinking that Recovery Girl could just heal him, I don't think Deku was thinking that at all. His mind was completely on his goal and he wasn't even thinking about how hurt he was getting. His mind was completely on the task at hand. Sure that might not be wise to think that way, but it's as much a part of Deku as say, a hot temper is part of Bakugo
Eh... I don't know about the other kids, but I think he's been pretty irresponsible with Deku. In part because he doesn't have much time (he's dying, and his power is fading), in part because of his idealism, by itself and also when it enables Deku's.

A more reasonable approach would have been to make sure his body was ready, give him OFA, and then focus on training Deku to use it without hurting himself. Even if it meant giving up on UA.

But no, Deku has to go to UA, and he has to show off at the competition. Because the world needs a "Symbol of Peace" and can't wait for the years it'll take for Deku to be ready. They have to show at least the promise of one. So they're cutting corners and forcing Deku to hurt himself again and again to reach milestones that may not be that important in the long run.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 15:48   Link #491
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler:
I always get the impression Horikoshi keeps his best designs for the heroes, and puts together rather messy ones for the villains. All heroes have a very clear, simple yet recognisable theme. But him... I remember him mostly confusing and overcrowded with details. I can understand why they'd go for a lighter, cleaner design in the anime. Easier to animate and all that.
__________________
----
What if Goku was super smart and had a thing for philosophy? Find out in The Optimised Wish Project!
----

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 16:35   Link #492
LevelSeven
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Eh, there are plenty of cases where words just aren't enough to get through to poeple. Actions speak louder than words, and one thing Deku wanted to make clear was the idea that everyone was trying their best, giving it everything they had to win while Todoroki was trying to get by on just half his power
if he was listening (which is the condition i mentioned was needed) than a simple talk about this would have resulted in the same outcome, however bringing him to listen would be the part requiring some convincing...through i dont think the only way to do that is in a battle

btw, glad to see im not the only one who thought the design wasnt super-good, the skin color really destroyed the overall image imo
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-05, 19:13   Link #493
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Eh... I don't know about the other kids, but I think he's been pretty irresponsible with Deku. In part because he doesn't have much time (he's dying, and his power is fading), in part because of his idealism, by itself and also when it enables Deku's.

A more reasonable approach would have been to make sure his body was ready, give him OFA, and then focus on training Deku to use it without hurting himself. Even if it meant giving up on UA.

But no, Deku has to go to UA, and he has to show off at the competition. Because the world needs a "Symbol of Peace" and can't wait for the years it'll take for Deku to be ready. They have to show at least the promise of one. So they're cutting corners and forcing Deku to hurt himself again and again to reach milestones that may not be that important in the long run.
I think you kind of answered your own question. A teacher has to deal with the circumstances they've been given in order to teach. You're not going to have perfect students. You're not going to have perfect supplies or situations. And yet, you still have to preform to expectations.

Deku has to go to UA or else he will be handicapped in his professional career. He has agreed to be All Might's successor which brings a host of responsibilities and problems along with it. All Might does have much time left as you said and because of all these issues, they have indeed had to cut corners and change things up from the ideal situation. Even All Might has said more than once that this wasn't ideal and that they should have taken more time. However, you have to deal with what you have to to get the job done. All Might might not be the best teacher ever, but he's the best in this situation, with this set of circumstances.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 00:51   Link #494
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think you kind of answered your own question. A teacher has to deal with the circumstances they've been given in order to teach. You're not going to have perfect students. You're not going to have perfect supplies or situations. And yet, you still have to preform to expectations.

Deku has to go to UA or else he will be handicapped in his professional career.
So will destroying his body before he even gets his hero license.

Quote:
He has agreed to be All Might's successor which brings a host of responsibilities and problems along with it. All Might does have much time left as you said and because of all these issues, they have indeed had to cut corners and change things up from the ideal situation. Even All Might has said more than once that this wasn't ideal and that they should have taken more time. However, you have to deal with what you have to to get the job done. All Might might not be the best teacher ever, but he's the best in this situation, with this set of circumstances.
My point is that those constraints come more from All Might's and Deku's visions of the ideal hero life than what's actually necessary for Deku to eventually become the number 1 hero. It's like when Bakugo opposed Deku getting into UA because he wanted his future biography to say he was the only one from his middle school to get into UA. It may sound nice, but does it really matter?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 01:01   Link #495
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyrule
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
btw, glad to see im not the only one who thought the design wasnt super-good, the skin color really destroyed the overall image imo
That part I'm not too worried about, as if they do him right, he'll be in shadow pretty much the entirety of the time we see him. The face bandage doesn't cover enough, though. Hoping that someone flubbed which promotional pic to use and that he looks much better in the actual series.
__________________
FGO Info: (JP) 055835281 | クワイガンケニー ==== (EN) 952525630 | quigonkenny
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 02:42   Link #496
LevelSeven
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That part I'm not too worried about, as if they do him right, he'll be in shadow pretty much the entirety of the time we see him.
good point
Quote:
Hoping that someone flubbed which promotional pic to use and that he looks much better in the actual series.
me too...
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 11:20   Link #497
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So will destroying his body before he even gets his hero license.

My point is that those constraints come more from All Might's and Deku's visions of the ideal hero life than what's actually necessary for Deku to eventually become the number 1 hero. It's like when Bakugo opposed Deku getting into UA because he wanted his future biography to say he was the only one from his middle school to get into UA. It may sound nice, but does it really matter?
This is a different world than ours. I think All Might and Deku might have a clearer vision as to what is best for a hero is their world than we would. Sure he doesn't have to be the best in everything, and I'm sure if Deku hadn't have gotten in at UA, they would have changed the plan to try for second best. But if you can get the best, you should aim for that. It's not like there is much time in order to study, apply, and switch from junior high to high school. No matter the school he went to, the time factor would be the same.

I think bullying someone else from getting into a school is different from saying that I'm going to aim for Harvard rather than Boston State. Both are good universities, but one just has more clout than the other. Bakago was bullying someone in order to perfect his record, that's different from simply trying to achieve your goals.

And sure he's risking his body, but I think the first two episodes already addressed how it felt in regard to sacrificing yourself to help others. And Deku would continue to do so no matter his teacher or school. Yeah, he could risk messing his body up permanently, but that's a risk he just needs to be aware of.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 12:49   Link #498
DemonneoPT
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portugal
Being an hero is a risky profession to begin with. Look at how All Might ended up...lol. His body is destroyed and i bet tons of heroes already lost their lives in their job. If the kids are not prepared to make some sacrifices and endure some pain, then why even bother going to the hero course? Like @Irenesharda said, Boku no Hero world is different from our world. We are not dealing with ordinary kids here and Deku in particular was already crazy before he even got his power, as shown in the first episodes.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 13:08   Link #499
Ultragunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
yeah....but the thing is they are still....kids. I'm not saying that they should not be harshly trained, but what Deku has been doing can be readily described as self-destruct.


Again, I'm not bashing on Deku here, but he ended up like that was because he and All Might were after their "ideal". While it is cool and all, but sometimes they need to be more practical. Deku has been severely damaging his body but for what? Aside from situations like during the villain's ambush in season 1 where LIFE matters!

HOWEVER, does Deku get stronger whenever he got injured? Does he get a better control on One for All when he breaks his bones and joints?
Well, good things did come out from those actions of Deku's, but at this rate he would end up being crippled even before making it to the pro.
__________________
Ultragunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 13:12   Link #500
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
We have to also remember than while this current generation is starting to stabilize, it was only one generation previous that the world was a wreck with crime not going down despite the work of heroes.

All Might, his ceaseless work and his concept of the "Symbol of Peace" is the only reason why the world is not a crapsack one and why heroes are seen in such a good light. Even current pro heroes were often inspired by All Might to become heroes and obviously the current crop has All Might as their ideal.


It's ironic that he's called All Might because I'd argue that his conceptual attack on villains has had far more influence than any of his brute force achievements, up to and including
Spoiler:
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, super hero, superpowers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.