AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-11, 12:56   Link #1321
Kurohane

New season,

One of the things I dislike is the way they're bringing back old characters. Compared to the original series, the G's cast is very limited, mostly limited to the three main characters. Other than them you have those three guys who offer (not funny) comedy. Other characters only appear once an episode. Takeru and Taiyou were the only recurring characters introduced in that season, but only Takeru looks to be only one to return for the new season so far. The reason this is such a big deal is because this is supposed to be a new generation, with a new generation cast of characters. Why not fill this new generation with many new characters. Not all of them have to appear all the time, but establish that they are part of this new era. Bringing back old characters as major parts of the plot is counterproductive to the theme trying to be presented.

The teaching fight made me cringe. The explanations treat the audience like idiots. And instead of Luna learning for herself, Chrono and later Shion and Tokoha feel the need to give her advice, when it's really telling her what moves to make. I would be so annoyed by that if I was her. Also, despite all the unnecessary explaining or rather because of it, the fight ends in the most generalized way possible! Man, it took me so long to get through this episode T_T. In addition, they play the imagination angle differently than the previous series. I mean come on, Aichi and the others did not feel shock waves no matter how many times they played, unless Psyquolia was involved. All in all, not an impressive start for the new season.

Last edited by Kurohane; 2015-10-11 at 14:36.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 09:52   Link #1322
Kurohane

Cardfight's new anime is a season based on the manga.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I am cautiously optimistic for this.
Old 2018-03-14, 15:55   Link #1323
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Cardfight's new anime is a season based on the manga.

YouTube

I am cautiously optimistic for this.
Watch it be ignored for double the amount of time this thread was unused.
Old 2018-03-14, 16:53   Link #1324
Kurohane

By people on this forum specifically or just in general?
Old 2018-03-14, 19:31   Link #1325
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Here. Not enough interest in the series and the TCG I guess.
Old 2018-03-14, 19:47   Link #1326
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Here. Not enough interest in the series and the TCG I guess.
most of the people here including myself got bored of the series when they swapped to chrono, he just couldn't keep anyone's interest
Old 2018-03-14, 20:22   Link #1327
Kurohane

My last comment until recently was after the first episode of GIRS Crisis, and I dropped the season about halfway in. I really didn't like how they were using the original characters to prop up their new ones; how blatantly they were trying to market them, because G's first season obviously did little to endear them to the audience.
Old 2018-03-14, 20:45   Link #1328
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I guess I'm minority then.

I personally like how GIRS Crisis doing their things as they managed to keep Aichi, Kai and co. as respectable after all previous season shaped them. which is something that usually hard to do for series under similar theme of 'selling toys'. Its nice seeing Shion respect Kai so much that his manners during the cardfight became similar to him, or Chrono spouted that Ibuki is annoying old man. Tokoha, Chrono, Shion vs. Misaki, Kamui, Kai is great choice to 'close' the development.

For me the downfall of Chrono and co. is starting from NEXT.
The conflict is so unnecessary, adding more disposable characters instead of fleshing out old characters further also made it worse.
Now Z is adding Zeroth Dragon that not beautifully working to Cray states lore-wise, make it feels like forced addition, compare to how GIRS played story of GC and their 12 Zodiac Time Beasts.
Old 2018-03-15, 10:17   Link #1329
PhoenixRising

I'm not really sure I like the idea of a reboot. Apparently the new series is going to be following the manga from what I heard on the cardfight wiki, but I feel like the next series should've been a new series with a new protagonist first, before they did a reboot. Well apparently we're getting a Bermuda Triangle mermaid anime too, but it just feels like its too soon for a reboot.

------About Cardfight G Period------

I think Cardfight Vanguard G actually got better with G Next (mostly because Kumi got more screen time and pulled off some great fights). I agree about Girs Crisis being one of the better series and G too, however Stride Gate was just okay, it could've used more episodes for that arc (which is what irked me because all of the G series had inconsistent numbers of episodes).

With GZ though, it's actually been a bit of a disappointment. Sorry, this is going to be a rant.
Spoiler:

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 2018-03-15 at 10:27.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 09:16   Link #1330
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I'm not really sure I like the idea of a reboot. Apparently the new series is going to be following the manga from what I heard on the cardfight wiki, but I feel like the next series should've been a new series with a new protagonist first, before they did a reboot. Well apparently we're getting a Bermuda Triangle mermaid anime too, but it just feels like its too soon for a reboot.

------About Cardfight G Period------

I think Cardfight Vanguard G actually got better with G Next (mostly because Kumi got more screen time and pulled off some great fights). I agree about Girs Crisis being one of the better series and G too, however Stride Gate was just okay, it could've used more episodes for that arc (which is what irked me because all of the G series had inconsistent numbers of episodes).

With GZ though, it's actually been a bit of a disappointment. Sorry, this is going to be a rant.
The reboot most likely serves as promotion for mobile CFV game while also gave them some time to evaluate game direction.

Since we entered Stride 'era', the powercreep is real. Look at how GC, RP and NN (especially GC and NN) are so prominent because they got more support compare to other clans, being protagonists clan; sure there are times of S1 - S3 that clan aside of RP, DP, Kagero and Narukami are hardly viable (kinda understandable as the game itself still new), but Stride is just straight powercreep to clans with less support.

They are not the first to do that as this year we also got Konami kick Synchro, XYZ and Pendulum a moment for sake of Link Monsters as well as providing a breathing room after all the OTK setup provided by them.

Old 2018-03-16, 21:51   Link #1331
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Yeah Konami trying to stop OTK is like someone trying to stop gravity by slapping the earth and going, stop it-v-. Anyway, when you realize that Kenji and Leon are joining Gouki's team leaving behind Jillian, Sharlene, Yuri, and Gai. Is that the reason why he shrunk?
Old 2018-03-16, 22:04   Link #1332
Kurohane

Stride has long overstayed it's welcome. Practically the fault of dedicating an entire spinoff to one new mechanic. Naturally, it would overrun the game. What didn't help was that the anime staff never bothered to eventually blend in old and new mechanics. You get a mention of limit break here, a legion there, but no, it's been all stride throughout all four seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Anyway, when you realize that Kenji and Leon are joining Gouki's team leaving behind Jillian, Sharlene, Yuri, and Gai. Is that the reason why he shrunk?
Wait, what?
Old 2018-03-17, 23:16   Link #1333
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Stride has long overstayed it's welcome. Practically the fault of dedicating an entire spinoff to one new mechanic. Naturally, it would overrun the game. What didn't help was that the anime staff never bothered to eventually blend in old and new mechanics. You get a mention of limit break here, a legion there, but no, it's been all stride throughout all four seasons.

Wait, what?
Not really. Morikawa using Break Ride against Chrono, Kai using The X and The End's Legion to burn Altmile off-screen; during GIRS Crisis.

The issue with Stride is more to how Bushiroad tried to lift the game difficulties by instant, without looking back. Despite ended up overdoing it to the point it reached OTK fest left and right, Konami doing the right things for YGO which is ensuring low-level unit to play part somehow--reaching old cards indirectly.

In Vanguard its not happening which is why I consider Zeroth Dragon / Superior Stride addition to the series are just bad. Aside of lore consistencies, they can just simply made the requirement of summoning them to be Legion state to revive Legion units, allowing more Legion / Stride hybrid play, instead of glossing Stride further that even Cross Stride introduced not long ago already forgotten the moment new season advanced.

Vanguard anime using cards that dictated by Bushiroad. Chrono won't use Chronoscommand Revolution if the units weren't on the latest booster pack, even deck used by Aichi, Ren and Kai pretty much consists of cards from their Legend Set. Unlike YGO where anime staffs have involvement to certain extent that we could easily see anime-only card such as Speed Spells.
Old 2018-03-18, 00:41   Link #1334
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Not really. Morikawa using Break Ride against Chrono, Kai using The X and The End's Legion to burn Altmile off-screen; during GIRS Crisis.

The issue with Stride is more to how Bushiroad tried to lift the game difficulties by instant, without looking back. Despite ended up overdoing it to the point it reached OTK fest left and right, Konami doing the right things for YGO which is ensuring low-level unit to play part somehow--reaching old cards indirectly.

In Vanguard its not happening which is why I consider Zeroth Dragon / Superior Stride addition to the series are just bad. Aside of lore consistencies, they can just simply made the requirement of summoning them to be Legion state to revive Legion units, allowing more Legion / Stride hybrid play, instead of glossing Stride further that even Cross Stride introduced not long ago already forgotten the moment new season advanced.

Vanguard anime using cards that dictated by Bushiroad. Chrono won't use Chronoscommand Revolution if the units weren't on the latest booster pack, even deck used by Aichi, Ren and Kai pretty much consists of cards from their Legend Set. Unlike YGO where anime staffs have involvement to certain extent that we could easily see anime-only card such as Speed Spells.
Still, that was back in GIRS. Limit break or legion never made a full comeback in the anime. Even though there are still cards printed with the skills, Bushiroad hasn't made them prominent in the anime. Of course, it's mainly about theme, though it's become a detriment at this point.

The pros and cons of tying the anime to the game are present (and unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, this was a card game first). The game's balance is constantly on edge with Bushiroad trying to outdo themselves with cards with powerful skills to make the fights in the anime interesting. In exchange, the cards' skills in the anime are the same in the actual game.

Last edited by Kurohane; 2018-03-18 at 01:12.
Old 2018-03-18, 12:06   Link #1335
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Still, that was back in GIRS. Limit break or legion never made a full comeback in the anime. Even though there are still cards printed with the skills, Bushiroad hasn't made them prominent in the anime. Of course, it's mainly about theme, though it's become a detriment at this point.

The pros and cons of tying the anime to the game are present (and unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, this was a card game first). The game's balance is constantly on edge with Bushiroad trying to outdo themselves with cards with powerful skills to make the fights in the anime interesting. In exchange, the cards' skills in the anime are the same in the actual game.
Not entirely true.

Every battle in Vanguard is using sub-optimal movement for purpose of introducing new card, creating opening necessary so both sides can use their new cards effect at its fullest. The easiest example of this is Tokoha vs. Misaki in final of GIRS. By OTT and NN standard at that time, Tokoha should have no qualm finishing the game without using Primavera and G-Guardian. If we go back further for similar cases, there was Aichi leaving Kai units alive at final of Link Joker allowing DO Rebirth keep using its Restand;

Card effect in Vanguard are pretty tame compare to YGO as the units effect shall not stray from each of their clans main idea and not only core units gave no support to play mixed class but also mixed clans risking deck consistency. Thus the reason for powercreep in this series pretty much back to whether the clan got support for the new things or not. GC are infamous as their style centered on Stride, granting them vast Stride support good for entry level; realistically you may argue RP and DP are way better because fast start and higher consistency.
Old 2019-04-17, 22:38   Link #1336
Kurohane

Stream about the new season of the Vanguard anime:
YouTube

Edit: The new season will be the conclusion of the High School arc, and Akira Ito will be a part of the development team to help write the story. Another season is in development, and details about that will be revealed in July. The May season begins the Reiwa (Beautiful Harmony) era.

And new info about the card game.

Last edited by Kurohane; 2019-04-18 at 13:54.
Old 2019-07-18, 21:15   Link #1337
Kurohane

Bushiroad had it's annual TCG Strategy Presentation Summer stream at 1:00 pm in Japan time yesterday, Midnight EST last night. It had as part of it new info about what's upcoming in the Cardfight anime.

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard