AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-10, 21:26   Link #121
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I've been following this show and I love it. It's incredibly cute and funny and... honestly fairly underrated, imo. Fudo and Desumi are so pure, the episode with their first date and the episode where Haru found out about them were both had the conflict handled with a surprising amount of simplistic maturity that most non-comedy stories struggle to depict, and I went into this thinking that the Gekko organization would be super annoying but they're not!

I'm curious to see why Desumi even chose to work for Gekko, considering how she seems to be a great person in every way. I also noticed that in the picture Fudo's mom showed her, he's had his Gelato bracelet since he was very little, so that's interesting, too...
Old 2022-05-13, 09:41   Link #122
Frontier

It's Summer, and while the Gelato 5 fight Gekko like any other day, Fudo and Desumi are already prepping for their Summer plans...and nothing beats going to the beach, and of course Fudo's mind goes straight to swimsuits .

Beast Princess thinks Reaper Princess is her vicious, tough, eternal rival...and then she realizes just how girly and casual Desumi is, which is hilarious .

So we finally get an answer for how Desumi joined Gekko...basically her family were Gekko lifers and signed her up, and she aced the physical because she's so inhumanly strong and capable. Also, Desumi in those black workout clothes was absolutely divine .

We also get more into the inner workings of Gekko. Under Bosslar there are Kaijin or monsters who have been fused with animals to get their inhuman forms and presumably power upgrades, while the Princesses all work under them with the idea that if they do well enough they'll eventually be able to get their bodies modified and become monsters themselves. And now it's Desumi's turn .

Wait, Hikaru Midorikawa is in this !?

There's a cute enemy leader like Drone Rabbit senpai, which wouldn't be too bad, until it turns out they want to turn Desumi into a Mountain Gorilla...I mean, girls hate being compared to gorillas in general, and that projection of what Desumi would look like wasn't pretty at all .

So Desumi doesn't want to do it, but she feels pressure from her co-workers and peers, and most of all her family who are rooting for her and supporting her. She even has four siblings, including a younger sister who idolizes her and wants to join Gekko to be like her. How could she ever refuse with them backing her? It was nice to hear Desumi's Hakata accent though .

Wow, Fudo knows where the Gekko dorms are? Is that like an open secret or did Desumi basically tell him so he could visit ?

Of course whenever Desumi has doubts, all she needs is a good pep talk from Fudo, who tells her that doing so much for others is all well and good, but Desumi needs to do what makes her happy. And what makes her happy is being human and being able to be with Fudo .

Bosslar takes Desumi's refusal surprisingly well since he assumes it's her showing her confidence in her natural abilities (which, granted, is actually pretty accurate) but in doing so he also disses the actual Kaijin .

Oh yeah, I guess you have to have a mech in a Sentai show. 12 components though!? And the sub is like one part of the leg!? I don't think Gelato 5 will be bringing that one out anytime soon, but it does provide the perfect cover story for Desumi to initiate her beach date with Fudo .

Swimsuits! Not only do we get all the Gekko Princesses in company-provided swimsuits that look great from Desumi's black bikini to Steel Princesses sexy yet elegant bikini, or even Beast Princess' middle school swimsuit, we even get to see Haru in a frilly cute bikini and Misaki in a sexy white bikini! It was a feast for the eyes .

I love how Beast Princess...I mean, Kiki Majima, keeps assuming all of Fudo and Desumi's beach date activities are Desumi trying to kill Fudo. She even sees Desumi getting along with the Gelato 5 and assumes she's infiltrated their ranks. And then she thinks that Desumi actually managed to blow up the sub when it was a complete accident. Oh and she even socks and runs away from Blue Gelato, which was fun .

Desumi meets the rest of the Gelato 5! And she especially seems to get along with Misaki who appreciates the impact she's had on Fudo .

It seems like Green Gelato recognizes Desumi...I don't think he knows she's Reaper Princess, judging by the title of the next episode I'm guessing he's responsible for Desumi's inhuman strength and skill .
Old 2022-05-13, 10:07   Link #123
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

I was kind of pulling for Beast to end up with her own Gelato... maybe down the road.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-13, 10:13   Link #124
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I was kind of pulling for Beast to end up with her own Gelato... maybe down the road.
She can do better than Blue Gelato though .
Old 2022-05-13, 17:38   Link #125
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Culverin Bear criticizing Desumi being in vacation-mode this episode is the very definition of "You're one to talk, Asshole!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So we finally get an answer for how Desumi joined Gekko...basically her family were Gekko lifers and signed her up, and she aced the physical because she's so inhumanly strong and capable. Also, Desumi in those black workout clothes was absolutely divine .
Yep this is the part where the show cemented that Gekko is pretty much Shocker from the OG Kamen Rider show. The Gekko grunts even behave and sound like Shocker grunts:

Quote:
We also get more into the inner workings of Gekko. Under Bosslar there are Kaijin or monsters who have been fused with animals to get their inhuman forms and presumably power upgrades, while the Princesses all work under them with the idea that if they do well enough they'll eventually be able to get their bodies modified and become monsters themselves. And now it's Desumi's turn .
Yet another staple of Kamen Rider shows. The evil organizaton will choose worthy humans to be turned into Kaijins (instead of making or recruiting actual monsters like in Super Sentai). The way Bosslar and the other generals congratulate Desumi is similar to the scene of Shocker eerily congratulating candidates in Kamen Rider: The Next movie.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I guess you have to have a mech in a Sentai show. 12 components though!?
From the many components and the silhouette, the robot is probably a callback to Dairugger from Armored Fleet Dairugger XV (or as per the American adaptation: Vehicle Voltron) which consists of 15 Rugger vehicles:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Desumi meets the rest of the Gelato 5! And she especially seems to get along with Misaki who appreciates the impact she's had on Fudo .
It's ironic that Desumi is more fitting to be a Gelato Ranger than the creeper Gelato Blue .

All in all, another very fun episode that actually moved the plot forward even with all the beach episode gags.
Old 2022-05-13, 19:51   Link #126
grecefar

So much misunderstanding with pefect timing, beast princess can't win against desumi lol.

Finally I was waiting for green and desumi meeting, looking foward to the next chapter, so much fun.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-13, 22:09   Link #127
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Also, Culverin Bear sang the OP in this episode
Old 2022-05-13, 23:06   Link #128
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Beast being rival to Desumi did gave me thought she might ended up with Gelato Blue.

Still, feels like something wrong to see Blue looks like not having some kind of redeeming quality when he's not in action. Even so it kinda acceptable considering trope that blue rangers personality is usually 180 of Red; which made him a fit to Beast who 180 of Desumi.

Old 2022-05-13, 23:39   Link #129
Strahan

This is such a great show; many episodes giving me literal LOL moments. That doesn't happen very often for me. When they talked about a beach episode and swimsuits, I said to myself "they're gonna put Beast Princess in a school swimsuit I bet". Girls with meager breasts usually seem to get dumped into those bland one piece school suits. It was a little sad... IMO she's the hottest chick on the show so I was hoping for something better lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-14, 00:09   Link #130
Lex79

Well, with Desumi's father having been a Gekko grunt for his entire life we got confirmation that the battle between Gekko and Gelato started at least decades ago and involved multiple generations. No wonder that people view it like an everyday occurrence and the heroes are basically celebrities.

Curious to see if we'll get more of Beast princess x Blue, especially if Desumi keeps hanging out with the whole Gelato squad and Beast princess gets unwillingly involved.

I would actually be supremely disappointed if one of the next episodes doesn't feature Desumi and Fudo having a date with in the background a giant robot fighting a giant monster.
Old 2022-05-14, 07:04   Link #131
Dj0rel
True Believer

I wonder if Desumi could have asked the Commander to fuse her with a cat instead of gorilla. Neko Desumi.
Old 2022-05-14, 09:06   Link #132
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I thought I was going crazy, I KNEW there was something different about how it sounded but couldn't put my finger on it! lmao
Old 2022-05-14, 09:23   Link #133
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I'm only disappointed it wasn't a duet with Steel Princess .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
I wonder if Desumi could have asked the Commander to fuse her with a cat instead of gorilla. Neko Desumi.
Then it probably would have been fusing her with Hellko .
Old 2022-05-14, 09:34   Link #134
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
I'm only disappointed it wasn't a duet with Steel Princess .
Same! What a missed opportunity! Maybe her seiyuu just didn't want to, but gosh, I would've loved that. XD
Old 2022-05-14, 09:49   Link #135
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Reminds me Gekko members sure got experienced VA there.
HanaKana, MAO, KaneHisa with Bosslar who definitely Sugita now with Eagle Commander who sounds like Midorikawa Hikaru.

I saw many people surprised Beast Princess is HanaKana lately. LOL.
Old 2022-05-14, 12:02   Link #136
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Reminds me Gekko members sure got experienced VA there.
HanaKana, MAO, KaneHisa with Bosslar who definitely Sugita now with Eagle Commander who sounds like Midorikawa Hikaru.

I saw many people surprised Beast Princess is HanaKana lately. LOL.
I love how they had Hikaru Midorikawa for literally one line as an incidental Kaijin .

People forget how hysterical HanaKana characters get .
Old 2022-05-14, 21:26   Link #137
Wandering Soul

I wondered why someone like Desumi was with Gekko and it turns out that her family were long time members and signed her up to more or less continue the line.

I wonder if anything is going to come out of that little Gelato Blue and Beast princess scene or if it was just a gag.
Old 2022-05-15, 08:22   Link #138
ryllharu

I really enjoy that the Fraternizing with the Enemy dynamic is going both ways.

Fudo gets praised for single-handedly holding off Gekko's strongest fighter whenever she appears, letting the other four easily beat the Beast commanders and grunts.

While Desumi increases her legend even further by torturing Red, then infiltrating the Gelato gathering and blowing up their submarine. Basically, handling this entire operation herself including the initial intel on it.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-15, 09:20   Link #139
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I really enjoy that the Fraternizing with the Enemy dynamic is going both ways.

Fudo gets praised for single-handedly holding off Gekko's strongest fighter whenever she appears, letting the other four easily beat the Beast commanders and grunts.

While Desumi increases her legend even further by torturing Red, then infiltrating the Gelato gathering and blowing up their submarine. Basically, handling this entire operation herself including the initial intel on it.
Falling into success without having to do anything more than being a love-dovey couple .
Old 2022-05-15, 20:42   Link #140
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well at least a lot of the questions around Desumi have been answered. A family career and it was basically pushed on her. So naturally gifted that she passed without trying. And turning it down or backing out would be pretty hard on her. With her whole family involved in it. Turning away would basically be turning her back on her family. Really ramping up the Romeo and Juliet angle of this series now. It really is an issue of family. Sadly no one in her family can process the idea that she wouldn't want to turn into a monster!

And in some ways it makes sense. She's lived her whole life just doing whatever people ask of her. So everyone just presumes they know what she wants or at least presume that what they want is what she wants.

Of course everything works out fine. It would have been a bit more interesting having a serious debate with her coworkers over this. But it's nice that she can remain herself.

The beach date was hilarious of course. I know that the Blue guy is a bit annoying...but I'm kind of enjoying that ship. At least it gave the Beast girl something to do.

I still feel bad for Haru. But at least she seems to be doing ok. Not suffering as much as when she first found out.