Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-10-09, 18:34   Link #1041
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan Hardwell View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

something a friend found

That looks like someone added that for a Star Blazers Fleet Battle System WDF sheet for that ship...using the Online game image of that ship with flames.

As for the ships, that would be an awful lot of ships. A record kill count for Yamato if she gets most of them. This would seem to be a special deployment instance, so what they do with all these ships normally is anyone's guess. But that Gamilas still seems to have thousands of ships everywhere suggests to me that Gamilas has been effective at keeping Zordar's forces away for some time and either this force of battleships is a new thing, or Gamilas has a large number of ships and even larger battleships of their own on various fronts, or just fleets like Dommel's used as spear tips to clear out key enemy forces and keep them from gaining footholds for long anywhere, while keeping Gamilas core regions safe. Unlike Earth, which is now exposed to the White Comet.

But look at how huge that formation is behind Planet 11! Its so big that the only way I can see Yamato taking it out is by blowing up the artificial sun before its fully in position for use....or blowing up Planet 11 and hitting them that way. Yamato would normally go for option one over blowing up a planet. It can be recovered later in time. The only other option would be for the Earth fleet we saw earlier to show up and just wave motion gun the entire thing with extreme prejudice. Unless of cause Yamato's wave motion gun can now do a cone of destruction rather than a tight beam or the starbust style spread effect of Andromeda.
Old 2017-10-09, 20:42   Link #1042
skaianDestiny

Another thing to keep in mind is that apparently 2 of the generals were shocked at the WMG's firepower, and one of them was the one who advocated for the use of the fleet we see at Planet 11. Seems that they don't care how many ships they have when faced with planet-destroying firepower. And to be honest, I agree. The Calakmuls are definitely fierce opponents, however their special weapon is comparatively short-ranged and in order to do that big beam in episode 6 they had to destroy themselves in the process (and it's implied a significant portion of the fleet will also be destroyed by the Region Cannon). In fact, I'd go as far to say in a straight up fight, the current Earth fleet of 5 Andromedas and 10 Dreadnoughts has fair odds against the Calakmuls. With how they powered up the Dispersion WMG (shooting through a moon is still the best fucking intro to a fleet-killing weapon), Earth's ships not only significantly out range the Calakmuls, but they have the ability to simply erase huge swathes of them with very little lead up time or detriment. And that's pretty scary when in order to replicate that kind of fire power you either need to get up close or sacrifice your own ships.

The Region Cannon seems to be a message saying "we have that kind of firepower too". It also appears that using Wave Motion Energy as a weapon isn't something common/easy to do, since Gamilas needed to do all that research and Gatlantis is apparently seeing it for the first time. Given how they were using Yurisha as a navigation database and Iscandar is the only other race to have used WMGs, I have a feeling they mined Yurisha's brain for part of the information required with Sanada filling in the rest. It's just fan conjecture though.
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-09, 21:05   Link #1043
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would guess that Gatlantis found a record of what happened at Balun from one of the ships they tested their new Magnaflame gun on during the opening part of Ark of the Stars. All those ships were at Balun.

We know Gamilas has the at least had a working wave motion gun of some kind on Dessler's flagship If it was as powerful as Yamato's isn't fully known, but it did have a great range and could destroy a planet. We don't know if Yamato's gun has a maximum range, though we do know that Andromeda can fire through solid rock the size of a moon to reach a target. Though not its maximum effective range.

This massive mass of ships as a cannon have a range of over 50 AU. Something like seven light-hours distance. Or even twice that given how far out we have detected things in our system so far (V774104 is 103 AUs out while Eris is 96 AUs out) Planet 11 could be anywhere out there up to maybe 15 light-hours out. Even out to maybe even a light year out depending on what qualifies at the edge of our solar system.

EDIT: If I caught AU-09's graphics correctly, Planet 11 is something over 3000 AU out from Earth...that is over two light-weeks away. 17 plus light-days out!

Gamewise, I will probably keep the Calakmuls as I have them, but I will need to amend their long range beam weapon a bit for group firing. One would assume that one of these ships could use its three rings to fire a long ranged single lance beam at an enemy ship without hurting itself. But combined fire to make greater beams? Maybe 25% of the beam's damage is taken by each of the firing ships? Use a few ships and it probably won't do more than cook the defensive screens or singe the armor plating. But more ships? Melt the ship into orbital cinders. Assume a ship could take say 60 points of damage without real problems (shielding or whatever) and on top of that be able to take up to maybe 250 points of damage before it would just fall apart regardless of the crews abilities or luck. Each of these rings can put out between 33 and 60 points of damage, and a ship with three rings could do between 99 and 180 points of damage. But you start combining ships. Even if they are only firing a ring each, that's 66 to 120 points of damage to a target and because of they way they are using it, they would each take 16 to 30 points of damage...which they could take with ease. But with six rings from two ships? 198 to 360 points of damage to the target and 49 to 90 points to each ship, which could start to leave a mark. Six ships, with 18 rings? 594 to 1080 points of damage. There are no ships in the system that can take that much damage that aren't battlestations, or personally operated by men named Zordar. But 25% of that? 148 to 270 points of damage for each ship. While they won't vaporize...they will more than likely explode from critical hits given the game system. And they almost certainly will not be able to fire their weapons again given the damage they will sustain. Any more ships than that and they will almost certainly vaporize.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2017-10-09 at 22:18.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 11:55   Link #1044
TZoli

I would say Yamato will destroy the star when the Gatlantis Killer fleet was about to fire, creating a chain reaction and destroy most if not all the fleet. Though I don't know how would that effect the 11th Planet...

Also it's more than Gigantic:

Though this image reminds me of the Star Trek TOS Super Weapon: The Planet Killer:

Last edited by TZoli; 2017-10-10 at 12:17.
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 18:02   Link #1045
macdawson

According to Analyzer's graphics, the artificial sun's explosion will destroy Planet 11, if we take the graphics literaly. But given Yamato seems to fire from close to the surface and with the sun already purple, as seen at the end of the trailer, this is either before it explodes or the planet managed to survive.
Old 2017-10-11, 18:27   Link #1046
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So many disposable ships....

Even more disposable that the Gamilas regular ships or the normal EDF ships in these series. At least those ships were not trying to get themselves destroyed most of the time, and were just overmatched. These ships are going to just get toasted to fire a single shot at Earth.
Old 2017-10-12, 16:46   Link #1047
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was working on balance for an all capital ships battle that used carrier based fighters for February and noticed something that made me have need to address the numbers of fighters each fleet could deploy.

I have managed to more or less balance the potential Earth or Gatlantis fleets around 20 ships and 720+ fighters. However, when attempting to do this with the Gamilas fleet I found a problem. The Gamilas do not have a massive fighter carrier (yet). They have three different carriers, with different purposes. One is clearly for planetary assault. The second is the generic carrier with limited weapons, but wide hangers able to carry just about anything. And then you have the battlecarrier, which is heavily armed, and can carry a lot of fighters, but of limited types due to their hanger doors.

Each of the other two factions have 180 or so capacity carriers, while the Gamilas have 60 capacity carriers. While a fleet of 12 battlcarriers would be impressive, it may not be all that practical. And a fleet of the others would be a liability in a battleline.

The Earth gets away with it because all their battleships carry at least a fighter squadron or two, and their new battlecarriers are massively impressive.

Gatlantis gets away with it because their old twin-deck carrier should be scaled out to be huge if it is remotely the same length as the original compared to their battleships. Four of those plus a few Medaruusa are more than adequate for what I have in mind and allow for a heavy battleline.

The Gamilas heavy battleships don't carry fighters. And to equal the Earth or Gatlantis factions, the entire majority of the battleline would need to be carriers or battlecarriers.

How to solve this problem?

Look a bit ahead in the timeline. The Galman-Gamilas Six-Deck Carrier. If scaled out with Yamato compared to their Yamato III appearances...I estimate the huge carrier would be 777 meters long and able to carry the capacity of six to eight of the regular Gamilas fleet carriers. Just one of those with six battlecarriers should be enough to deal with the Earth or Gatlantis fleets in terms of numbers of fighters while allowing the rest of the fleet to be battleships.

Dessler Soto, Banzai!

Last edited by Ithekro; 2017-10-12 at 21:42.
Old 2017-10-13, 08:02   Link #1048
TZoli

Well apparently there is one other carrier in the Gamillan Galman fleet the Command Carrier Undaunted:

Difficult to estimate it's size but looks like around the same size as the assault carrier but with a larger hanger capacity and better launch capabilities.
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 16:34   Link #1049
skaianDestiny

Someone posted a short summary on Twitter. Spoilering.

Spoiler:
Old 2017-10-14, 20:46   Link #1050
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Something to address, that is a awful lot of ships to be within one light year of Earth. Hopefully that is addressed somehow.

Aside from the episodes themselves, I really want to see the preview for episode 11, now.
Old 2017-10-15, 18:41   Link #1051
macdawson

Spoiler:
Old 2017-10-16, 01:36   Link #1052
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Spoiler:
Could setup a later plot point.

Spoiler for Return to Planet 11?:
Old 2017-10-16, 04:17   Link #1053
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post
I would say Yamato will destroy the star when the Gatlantis Killer fleet was about to fire, creating a chain reaction and destroy most if not all the fleet. Though I don't know how would that effect the 11th Planet...

Also it's more than Gigantic:

Though this image reminds me of the Star Trek TOS Super Weapon: The Planet Killer:
Looks like somebody involved in making Yamato 2202 has learned how to use "Sprites" in Lightwave's Layout to great effect.

BTW, lightwave (by Newtek) is the 3D modeling software being used to make Space Battleship Yamato 2202.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...riors-of-love/
Old 2017-10-16, 14:24   Link #1054
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuGjAGBWAs&t=158s

talk about ripping off Yamato start at 2:00 hado ho.

This is the current super sentai kyuranger.
Old 2017-10-16, 15:38   Link #1055
skaianDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Convoy View Post

Yamato's a classic, referencing it is like referencing Star Trek or Star Wars.

If you wanna talk about ripping Yamato off, have a gander at this:
https://youtu.be/45zai3U5hSM?t=791

I admit I had a laugh when I saw it recently.
Old 2017-10-16, 16:07   Link #1056
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaianDestiny View Post
Yamato's a classic, referencing it is like referencing Star Trek or Star Wars.

If you wanna talk about ripping Yamato off, have a gander at this:
https://youtu.be/45zai3U5hSM?t=791

I admit I had a laugh when I saw it recently.
I remember seeing that long ago, that show ripped off basically everything.

here is another at :46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtV-lf10kk8
Target Scope Open.
Old 2017-10-16, 23:49   Link #1057
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Convoy View Post

Did I miss something?
How did the conversation go from lightwave to rip-offs?
I'm confused.
Old 2017-10-19, 16:31   Link #1058
skaianDestiny

1/1000 2202 Yamato arrived today, after a cursory look at the data sheet, here's some stuff I was able to gather:
  • The "plan name" is A201F5-E, whatever that means
  • The asteroid ring defense system's official name is the Asteroid Ring Generated Offense System, otherwise known as the ARGO
  • They list all the differences between the 2199 version and the 2202 version
  • The Cosmo Tiger II's two variants are listed, and they have some significant differences
    • Their names are "single-seat type" and "lightning type trident seat type"
    • Trident seat type has less machine guns, different nose, and different cockpit as well as seeming to carry a heavier missile armament

EDIT: Ohai

Spoiler for Mega spoilers:

Last edited by skaianDestiny; 2017-10-19 at 17:23.
Old 2017-10-19, 18:29   Link #1059
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Spoiler for mega spolier:
Old 2017-10-19, 18:45   Link #1060
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is good that the two Cosmo Tiger II variants are more different than their original versions. Though I wonder if they will still have the two-seater version with just the pilot and turret gunner that only appeared in the series taking off from the Earth's battlecarriers.

This is the three-seat model with a pilot, weapon's officer, and turret gunner. It was also used for recon, and for delivering combat troops and marines to the enemy when there was no other craft.

Spoiler for Mega Spoiler:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2017-10-19 at 19:00.