AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 65 63.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 4.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.97%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-27, 06:06   Link #181
garbage

mmm fashionably late( or not ) as usual...

well, I wasn't planning on writing much, here since am a bit tired, but just wanted to put a couple of thoughts in.

- this is a gem of an episode. really gripping from start to finish. just some bits of flaws to be sure but over-all great.

- seems like a lot of people has this notion/image of Akane being especially pathetic this episode, and I say it's so easy for online Keyboard Warriors to judge what's pathetic or not. I dare this same people to act better than that in a real situation, most can't even lift a finger or move a single freaking inch seeing a crime being committed right before their very eyes. Add to that having your (best?)friend threatened like that,all the while your whole world belief AND TRAINING turned Topsy-turvy. Oh and did I mention she has most probably never held or probably even seen a shotgun before. And while you're at it, it's not as if that shotgun is oooh so easy to use, it's not a ball-pen! And yes all of this happening, after seeing Kogami all shot up and being bullied and wrongfully blamed by Ginzo.

-[frm previous episode: akane did have the right ides though, to call for back up immediately, hmm can't remember/understand why Kogami shot that idea down, this is one time, Akane's instinct was better than Kogami's]

- and men! where the hell are those back-ups! gosh I know it's for plot reasons,but hey it seems those other guys are just always so late to the party, sigh! keep wishing masaoka would jump right out before poor yuki was killed, but yeah story needed Akane alone then.

- Boy, again what a useless weapon the Dominator is, ( ok maybe useless is a bit much ^^) and slow as hell. and no manual override for at least the stun mode ( WTH I don't really see any big problem with this) and no back-ups ( why not a separate stun gun then??) ,oh yeah they do have those lightning rods. Akane could have been lucky if she threw one of those to Makishima(/sarcasm). better she should have just thrown the Dominator, useless piece of.....oh yeah it's not useless ( sorry still affected by what happened to yuki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
snip~
well you could argue to hell and back if Makishima is killing people himself by helping other do so. But he definitely is an accessory, a very involved one for that matter. I fact in today's courts it could already be argued he is more than accessory.
now this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I'm not going to argue that he has the good of society in mind in the things he does because he probably doesn't, but he sure as heck isn't thinking of something as petty as killing people for fun.
well I'm not sure how you are seeing Makishima but he sure as hell looks like having fun doing these things, not to mention messing with Kogami and Akane. You can even say he's doing this to affirm his existence, which always seem to fall through Sybils "cracks", than any revolutionary idea. definitely a personal satisfaction thing, as I can see from his words.

Last edited by garbage; 2012-12-27 at 06:43. Reason: additions
Old 2012-12-27, 07:10   Link #182
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
well you could argue to hell and back if Makishima is killing people himself by helping other do so. But he definitely is an accessory, a very involved one for that matter. I fact in today's courts it could already be argued he is more than accessory.
I wasn't arguing against that. I don't really care how responsible was for the murders and such. I'm more concerned with his motives for doing the things he does.

Quote:
well I'm not sure how you are seeing Makishima but he sure as hell looks like having fun doing these things, not to mention messing with Kogami and Akane. You can even say he's doing this to affirm his existence, which always seem to fall through Sybils "cracks", than any revolutionary idea. definitely a personal satisfaction thing, as I can see from his words.
All I'm saying is that he doesn't get that pleasure from the act of killing necessarily. He's much too intelligent a criminal for that. I've already mentioned that he's probably doing it to satisfy his own ego, which really isn't all too different from what you said
Old 2012-12-27, 08:41   Link #183
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
- Boy, again what a useless weapon the Dominator is, ( ok maybe useless is a bit much ^^) and slow as hell. and no manual override for at least the stun mode ( WTH I don't really see any big problem with this) and no back-ups ( why not a separate stun gun then??) ,oh yeah they do have those lightning rods. Akane could have been lucky if she threw one of those to Makishima(/sarcasm). better she should have just thrown the Dominator, useless piece of.....oh yeah it's not useless ( sorry still affected by what happened to yuki)
It's the downside of being in a highly mechanized state where they don't trust police officers(because the police officers are technically convicted mental patients) to use their own discretion for lethal force, and where the opposition usually isn't expected to shoot back.

You tend to have overly elaborate weapons in those kinda situations.
Old 2012-12-27, 09:12   Link #184
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I find it hilarious that people call the dominator useless even though it only failed to shoot 1 guy.
Old 2012-12-27, 11:02   Link #185
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I find it hilarious that people call the dominator useless even though it only failed to shoot 1 guy.
It's not totally useless, but after we saw it in action with Kougami against the cyborg hunter some problems are manifested. Notably in the lag in scanning time making it more dangerous to use against an opponent with a more immediate point and click weapon.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:33   Link #186
BrilliantAkane

Send a message via Yahoo to BrilliantAkane
Very powerful episode, I feel so sorry for Akane and can't wait to see episode 12 maybe she's the same as makishima and can't be judged by the sibyl system.
Old 2012-12-27, 15:57   Link #187
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's not totally useless, but after we saw it in action with Kougami against the cyborg hunter some problems are manifested. Notably in the lag in scanning time making it more dangerous to use against an opponent with a more immediate point and click weapon.
I can't deny that. But it's not like the dominator is magic that determines whether the target is authorized for law enforcement instantly. They decided to sacrifice those few seconds for 100% (beknown to them, Makishima is an unexpected anomaly) certainty that the target actually needs to be shot.
Old 2012-12-28, 10:46   Link #188
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
I can't deny that. But it's not like the dominator is magic that determines whether the target is authorized for law enforcement instantly. They decided to sacrifice those few seconds for 100% (beknown to them, Makishima is an unexpected anomaly) certainty that the target actually needs to be shot.
While I understand why there's a lag, it really doesn't fix the problem only justifies why the problem exists. For all we know Sasayama is dead cause his dominator didn't fire in time.
Old 2012-12-28, 13:04   Link #189
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Somehow I doubt that. It's not like those few milliseconds matter in the majority of cases anyways.
Old 2013-01-03, 06:58   Link #190
bakuramariks
The Observer

I just wanted to say how much I love the direction work in the scene between Akane and Makishima. Truly they did an amazing job. The suspense could be felt from the beginning to the end, where you feel exhausted. The thing I want to point out, though, is the murder of Yuki. Instead of focusing on Akane then Makishima, Akane again and after that Maki again and then he kills her, they didn't do that for which I am very happy about. If they stretched that moment, all the suspense would be gone. I've seen anime where they try to make a scene thrilling but everything failed because they dragged everything for too long. Instead of doing this thing, the script writers decided to be fast about it. The suspense was already there, now we only needed a release, a conclusion. Besides that, the scene also shows more of Maki's personality.
Old 2013-01-05, 17:37   Link #191
kitten320

Quote:
It takes ages to load, as seen in Kogami's fight with a dog. If not his experience the dog would've killed him because dominator didn't load yet. And it's not miliseconds. It takes quiet a few seconds for it to say all the shit what is enough time to kill you.

And now we see another flow, it is useless against real psychos.

Really strong episode, I was a bit mad with Akane but she did pick up the gun and she did shoot even though it was a definite miss. But at least she attempted. Some people tend to freeze on spot.

Besides this probably the part where her character will go through major changes.

The way I see OP, she seems to go a bit nuts and Kogami tries to stop her.
If that's the case, second half should be a treat

And poor Yukki, she did not deserve such horrible death...
Old 2013-01-10, 12:15   Link #192
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Amazing ep, that is all. Gen took his sweet time, but now I see him coming through. My god, my face in those last few minutes. Glorious.

Old 2013-01-11, 20:41   Link #193
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Watching this episode, but I paused just to talk about Ode to Joy + Insane people = crazy awesome.

Episode was really good and espouses a lot of flaws within the society. Akane wasn't able to save Yuki because she literally wasn't capable of it. They're too used to the normal way of handling things that they simply aren't able to truly kill someone without being detached via the dominator. And thus comes the problem of one truly be able to take decisive action in a society that actively forbids it except by those like our dear Makishima that have somehow bypassed the system.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-01-11 at 20:56.
Old 2013-01-19, 01:42   Link #194
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Wow... Great episode, and a great plot twist with Makishima being judged unfit for enforcement. I love how this series is following a predictable discourse, exposing the flaws in their judgment system, but doing so on an exciting and unpredictable path... The fact that Makishima's crime factor was at 0 literally right before he slashes Yuki's throat is like icing on the cake. I wonder how Akane will respond to this traumatic development.
Old 2013-01-23, 01:57   Link #195
molitar

I hated Akane in this episode.. She was really pathetic! Never heard of shooting to wound? Why is it always black or white with so many woman? Shoot to kill or don't kill.. I hated this episode she could of shot him in the leg or arm and probably saved her friend... but no... I can't... sob sob sob.. I let my friend die.

I myself have a rifle and do not believe in killing but I have no qualms in defending myself by shooting out some persons knee cap, hand, or arm to protect myself and my loved ones! You do not have to kill to defend yourself. So I hated how she acted so pathetic as a law officer basically and does not use a shred of common sense.. She was to blame from the very beginning. She wasted much precious time as soon as they realized it was a trap she should have already been calling in reinforcements. Than known she is dealing with a Psycho who gave her a lot of time to think and plan and did not even try to wound him.

Than the stupid Dominator gun that has no override for stun only mode.. WTF? Stun is stunning not killing.. think of Star Trek and how much trouble they been in if they did not have the ability to stun with the Phaser.
Old 2013-01-23, 07:26   Link #196
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
I hated Akane in this episode.. She was really pathetic! Never heard of shooting to wound? Why is it always black or white with so many woman?
Yeah, women, right. They're all the same. Unlike people like you who see things in shades of grey, with nuance, and don't jump to conclusions... Seriously, WTF is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
I hated this episode she could of shot him in the leg or arm and probably saved her friend... but no... I can't... sob sob sob.. I let my friend die.

I myself have a rifle and do not believe in killing but I have no qualms in defending myself by shooting out some persons knee cap, hand, or arm to protect myself and my loved ones! You do not have to kill to defend yourself. So I hated how she acted so pathetic as a law officer basically and does not use a shred of common sense.. She was to blame from the very beginning. She wasted much precious time as soon as they realized it was a trap she should have already been calling in reinforcements. Than known she is dealing with a Psycho who gave her a lot of time
Akane did try to shoot him, presumably hoping to kill him. She doesn't know how to use a real gun, and so she missed. Even if she hadn't been holding the Dominator, she would still almost certainly have missed. There is no way that she had the skill necessary to shoot Makishima in the knee/leg/hand/arm. Both she and Makishima probably knew this, but she still tried.

Blaming her for not being a skilled markswoman is really silly. Her job isn't meant to involve shooting people with real guns, and there's basically no chance that she's been trained to do so. And if Akane was the one to blame from the very beginning, what about, oh, Makishima, the person who actually had her friend kidnapped and murdered?

Incidentally, you seem to think that shooting someone in locations like the leg or arm isn't going to kill them. That's not true. Even if someone really is a fancy enough sharpshooter to hit a specific limb like that in a stressful situation, well...just hit an artery, like the femoral artery in the leg, and the person shot could die within seconds. Fiction might make it seem as if it's really easy to shoot without killing, but reality isn't that way.
Closed Thread