AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-05-26, 01:22   Link #1641
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
2 entire episodes per disk?

Shit must be rendered in some damn good quality if only two episodes take up an enture Blu-Ray disk...

maybe they just burned it in blu-ray just for the sake of being in it. It's hard to imagine they could use the entire 25GB just to encode at 2x20-30 min video. (well better if they make a behind the scenes segments)
Kyourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 01:26   Link #1642
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
They're just doing it for the money...They know people will buy it no matter what, and they'll get more money if they hope saps will actually throw down for even 2 episodes per disk...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 02:03   Link #1643
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
They're just doing it for the money...They know people will buy it no matter what, and they'll get more money if they hope saps will actually throw down for even 2 episodes per disk...
Hell, no. I'll buy the manga once it's translated into Chinese, but I am NOT buying the DVDs in their current state.
Old 2009-05-26, 03:27   Link #1644
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There are 7 Blu-Ray disc releases, but they have 2 episodes each. There'll be 14 episodes in all, with good chances that the 14th will be DVD-exclusive and won't air on TV.
Looks like this is true. Running time is 48 minutes for each. So... easy money, greedy KyoAni. At least, there should be an OVA, but it will be in 2010.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 04:32   Link #1645
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Typical DVDs of this nature in the United States would have four to five episodes on a disc. I can't say about Blu-rays however.
Old 2009-05-26, 05:00   Link #1646
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Reminds me when my Mum bought me volume 1 of Sonic X, that only had 2 episodes on it.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 07:36   Link #1647
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I suddenly have the urge to see the K-On club and Sawako decked out in Vivienne Westwood and other punk outfits, playing "Don't Say Lazy".
Old 2009-05-27, 16:57   Link #1648
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Somehow I recall the Japanese use to do that with DVDs as well. Putting only two episodes on a disc I mean. They started to get away from that, but I guess it is coming back for Blu-ray.
No, they never moved away from that at all. All of Kyoto Animation's 1-cour shows have been released in this way (FMP:F, Air, FMP:TSR, Haruhi, Munto TV, etc.). Shorter shows (like this one; 12-14 episodes) almost always have less episodes on a disc and more total discs released. But for a longer show (like 24-26 episode shows), buying 12 or 13 DVDs released monthly is generally too much (it takes up too much shelf space, and takes too long to collect), so they generally release it on 8 or 9 DVD/Blu-Rays (with an average of 3 episodes per disc). And then for even longer shows (like 50-52 episode shows), you'll generally see it released on 13 volumes, with an average of 4 episodes per disc. So it's not really about episodes/disc, it's about the total investment to collect the whole show. For a popular show like this one, a collector is willing to spend ~$500 to collect it all, but if this show were double as long, not as many would be willing to spend ~$1000. So outrageous though it may seem if you're not used to the collector culture, this is all about striking a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyourin View Post
maybe they just burned it in blu-ray just for the sake of being in it.
Well, yeah, it's to release in HD. Anime collectors buying the Japanese releases are obsessed about quality. The quality of all the Japanese anime Blu-Ray releases I own has been absolutely pristine, I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizu View Post
So... easy money, greedy KyoAni.
Well, this isn't really Kyoto Animation's doing; it's being published by Pony Canyon. But, as I said above, this is totally in line with standard industry practice in Japan. All of Pony Canyon's other recent 1-cour shows were released on DVD in this way (Kurenai, Spice & Wolf, Polyphonica Crimson S, etc.). And again, people need to remember that this is the primary way they make their money back on the basic production costs; this isn't like primetime TV that makes its money on advertising, or like licensed anime releases in other countries that only really have to make back the licensing and translation costs. Plus, a successful production like this one will fund a dozen other productions that don't sell nearly as well, so that's sort of par for the course.

Anyway, if people want to read about how Japanese anime DVD/BD solitications work, I wrote something here that explains it (check the second section of the article).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 16:59   Link #1649
Midonin
Last Engage

Nothing wrong with companies wanting to make money. It's the way of the world.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 18:20   Link #1650
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
hard to admit but true ..

wish I had a money tree ^w^
Kyourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 00:45   Link #1651
Darth Atma
Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
It's too true to accept, though.
Darth Atma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 02:43   Link #1652
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Atma View Post
It's too true to accept, though.
Sure it is; Sell off some of your possessions or become an entrepreneur...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 03:27   Link #1653
kero

I wanted to ask, does a show like this attract more male viewers than female?

I find the cosplay obsessed teacher, and mio's phobia a bit of a turn off and think I'd like the show much better without these gimmicks, however, is this the type of stuff the viewers acctually like?
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:35   Link #1654
jawang

sorry if this has been said before,

but I just wanted to say that it is 100% pure B.S. that yui is able to play the songs "fuwa fuwa time" and "cagayake girls" on guitar

after learning these songs, I must say that there are many riffs in both of these songs that are EXTREMELY difficult to play note for note (especially that prechorus riff in cagayake girls).

to get an idea of what I am talking about, please watch from 0:55 - 1:08 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2Ojk-55g0

how the hell can a clumsy high school freshman with 1 year of guitar experience play that? seriously wtf?
FYI, if you don't play guitar, that riff requires fast alternate speed picking WHILE palm muting (extremely hard) and also has very fast left hand movements

thats my 2cents about this show
jawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 05:19   Link #1655
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well, if you want explanation, you could tell yourself Yui is only the one signing it. (hint: nyan~)

Also,
Old 2009-06-09, 05:32   Link #1656
jawang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Well, if you want explanation, you could tell yourself Yui is only the one signing it. (hint: nyan~)
haha, I actually didn't consider that possibility (since Yui is supposedly lead guitar), but after a little bit of thought, that works REALLY well since I just realized that there's two guitars in that song (its hard to hear, but there is a 2nd guitar, and it has an easy part too).

In that case, azusa is now my favorite character

still doesn't explain how they played the song without azusa early on (the OP was the same before azusa came), or how they performed fuwa fuwa time (azusa wasn't in the band yet)

edit: nice video btw
Old 2009-06-09, 05:35   Link #1657
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I love this guy, he rocks! (Can you imagine them animating Yui with those moves, OMG)
Old 2009-06-09, 05:51   Link #1658
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

If you compare the OP without Azusa and with her you'll notice another guitar in the song adding a different riff. Particularly during that part. So it's not originally 2 guitars doing that portion. Unless the new modified OP has 3 guitars in it now. (And yes, technically bass is a guitar, but we're not counting it for this.)

While the guy playing that originally linked performance adds extra embellishment and flourish to the song, he does play that section closer to the original than the other covers I've seen/heard. It's still not exactly like the original.

So I guess the implication is that Yui is some guitar prodigy. It's already hinted shown that she has an amazing ability to single-task and has perfect pitch. And at any rate, she'll have over a years experience to learn to play Cagayake!GIRLS (assuming that they show the band playing it at the end of the series).

Last edited by Willen; 2009-06-09 at 06:07.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 03:48   Link #1659
jawang

i hate having to take back so many of my own words, but apparently that guitar part I mentioned was played with a delay pedal (it makes a lot more sense now)

so... its actually way easier to play than it sounds... in fact, it's downright easy

so I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that theyre all creative geniuses instead? mugi/mio/azusa seem to have strong musical backgrounds so i suppose thats acceptable
Old 2009-06-10, 05:09   Link #1660
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawang View Post
i hate having to take back so many of my own words, but apparently that guitar part I mentioned was played with a delay pedal (it makes a lot more sense now)

so... its actually way easier to play than it sounds... in fact, it's downright easy

so I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that theyre all creative geniuses instead? mugi/mio/azusa seem to have strong musical backgrounds so i suppose thats acceptable
Don't forget Ritsu. She's probably been playing some kind of musical instrument for as long as Mio. Considering how long the two have known each other and based on Ritsu's 'flashback' in episode 1 and bits from other episodes like the music store scene in ep.2, I'd say she's about the equal of Mio (minus the fluffy lyric writing). Remember, Ritsu is the one that actively seeks out the light music club.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen