AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-25, 11:29   Link #1341
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
You remind me so much of all the other fangirls I've seen over the years. Ranka and Alto were never CLOSE. Not in the way that you wish they were.

As for an example of her impossible and fantasy view of him, remember when Ranka was all gushy when he made that heart in the sky during her concert, thinking it was for her from him, without ANY evidence that he truly liked her that way. And forgetting that it was his JOB to make entertainment in the sky for her concert and the fans(you know, like he did with Sheryl in episode One???). They'd never kissed(outside of acting in a movie), or even held hands. There was no talk at all between them about romance or relationships, or much in the way of sexual tension(I believe the only time they had sexual tension was on the one planet for one scene, compared to the dozens the he and Sheryl had throughout the series).

Someday, you will look back at these earlier posts, and wonder WTF were you thinking...
All I can say to you is: do you ever think that Ranka might be cautious of relationships in the romantic sense for a REASON? Alto sure was.

Spoiler for romance:

I'm not gonna compress this message... don't feel like it.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 06:33.
Old 2011-05-25, 13:48   Link #1342
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Uh, where do I even start with that?

- Oh! well that was a pain to read, please add more spaces in between paragraphs to save our eyes please.

- Second, I'm not sure why you keep fighting so diligently here in the forums...

- Third, I'm pretty sure Sheryl never let Alto talk about his past because of the circumstances and pain behind it. Really, not everyone wants to throw a pity party like Ranka does.

- Boys ALWAYS lie about their feelings to friends when they first like a girl. (least the boys around me do XD)

- Who says he never returned the last kiss? All we see is his first stunned expression. Honestly if he never even liked her that way, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled her off, shoved her aside... something.~

- If I was ranka at the rooftop scene? Honestly, its a goddamn hug, until I hear official statements from them, I would still try. Again, Ranka goes to depression mode and throws another pity party.

- Do you honestly think Ranka would have had the courage alone to sign up for Miss Macross, even if Alto pushed her? Did you miss the scene where she was in a stair well and SHERYL was liked "get your ass moving if you want to beat me" AND SHE DID. God forbid you acknowledge that Sheryl did ANYTHING tot help Ranka out in the series at all.

- Why does there need to be a super significant reason for Sheryl to become a singer? If shes good at it, that could be her dream. Does one really need a reason more then that? To become a singing star to better yourself and get yourself out of the slums?

- From there it descends into a mass of unintelligibly statements and assumption, so unless I want m brain to melt in my skull, I think I'll stop there.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-05-26 at 02:37. Reason: No retort images, please.
Old 2011-05-25, 15:10   Link #1343
ShinyBunny

Ranka lost the triangle. Move on with your life.

Though this

Quote:
And in the end, to be honest with you, Sheryl didn't inspire Ranka to do anything in the later episodes. Actually, Sheryl became the one person she didn't want to turn out like. It wasn't the illness but rather the fact that Sheryl had desired to help RANKA but ended up with the BOY Ranka loved, the reason she was singing. And quite honestly, that could easily be seen as a deception in Ranka's eyes. "You only helped me so you could have Alto-kun.".
So wrong. Sheryl inspired and was a better friend to Ranka than Alto ever was. What you say about Ranka makes me think you think little of her. If she would throw away a great friend and inspiration because of a boy what kind of person doe that make her? Her last line in the series was about not losing to Sheryl. That to me shows she still wanted to catch up to her because she knew she was neither the woman Sheryl was, the singer or had the affections of Alto that Sheryl had.

And if you go to movie verse, Ranka supported Sheryl and Alto. I can't stand Ranka, but you are making her out to be a worse person than she actually was shown.
Old 2011-05-25, 16:37   Link #1344
magnuskn

Paragraphs are your friend, LMK. ^^
Old 2011-05-25, 17:17   Link #1345
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
All I can say to you is: do you ever think that Ranka might be cautious of relationships in the romantic sense for a REASON? Alto sure was.

His relationship with Sheryl was shaky, at best. While they had their moments, he NEVER spoke of his past with Sheryl, she ALWAYS dominated the conversation and ignored if he wanted to TALK about himself.
Alto and Sheryl both spoke of their pasts to each other in episode 7, that's how Sheryl knew that Alto wanted to fly in a real sky, and the reason why she gave him the gift she did

Quote:
Also, Michael KINDLY pointed out to him since Ep2 that Alto LOVES to jump into things and then RUN away. Sheryl counts. After all, in Ep6, after their so-called date, he DENIES have feelings for Sheryl. Then, later in that episode, he jumps right into a friendship/romantic relationship with her AFTER he learns just a BIT about her past.
Problem is, I don't think Sheryl was interested in Alto romantically at that point in the series, besides boys tend to lie about their feelings a lot, and what you say applies to Ranka as well, so you try to stay clear of this argument.

Quote:
Let's also take Ep3 into the equation: he jumps RIGHT into being a pilot. Michael had GOOD reason to believe that Alto was merely finding another means of escape, but this time he had reached TOO HIGH. And when he first met Ranka, he jumps RIGHT into finding her in Ep1 DURING Sheryl's concert.
Actually Alto jumps right into the cockpit in episode 1, and he wasn't searching for Ranka then either he immediately went after Sheryl, and then happened to see Ranka. It was entirely by chance.

Quote:
He also becomes an acquaintance to her awfully fast. It is not Ranka's fault that she talks about herself a lot, for whenever she's NOT talking, he could speak. Instead, he merely keeps going on about HER. Same with Sheryl. He speaks nothing of his past to Sheryl.
Again episode 7 says hi! And he met Ranka again (along with Sheryl) in episode 2, when they both got locked into the shelter. That is when Sheryl inspires both Ranka and Alto to chase after their dreams.

Quote:
But in Ep21 and even before that back in Ep17, Alto speaks about his past demons with RANKA. It was obvious that he also had intimacy issues. Shall we actually bothering returning to the fact that Alto returned NEITHER of Sheryl's kisses in either Ep10 OR Ep24?
First of all it took Ranka 21 episodes what took Sheryl 7, that's hardly comparable. And if Alto had intimacy issues then episodes 20-23 don't display that very well, and for the record the first time Alto and Sheryl kissed Alto was surprised, the second time they may have kissed was initiated by Alto, and the third time Sheryl just did it to get him to shut up. As for Ranka the only time she kissed Alto was during a scripted movie, which only she took seriously.

Quote:
And also, in Ep22, Alto also JUMPS right into bed with Sheryl after one of his BEST comrades dies and RANKA left abruptly. It is NOT a show of love, honestly. He was hurt by both stings to the heart and all Sheryl became was a comfort zone. To be honest with you, if you actually thought to see that Alto DOES have issues with romance, you'd see he's NOT the man you're looking at.
I think he was more worried about Sheryl dying at that moment, and again you shouldn't try to push this idea as you're basically making Alto out to be a jerk, and therefore making a blessing that he didn't choose either girls in episode 25.

Quote:
Whilst their MIGHT be love between Sheryl and Alto, it is proven in Ep13 that Alto is fine with the common ground that he shares with Ranka in the intimacy way. Actually, I think he also preferred her in that way, as she's too shy to do like Sheryl does, which is why he feels more comfortable stating his feelings to her like in that same episode.
Considering the common ground he shares with Ranka is again nothing but friendship on his side, where he keeps her at a distance, never talking about himself, only letting her do all the talking.

Quote:
Now, with Ranka: she easily builds friendships but romantic ones are difficult. Why? Well, for starters, what DOES she have to tell Alto about herself in Ep3? "I have no memories, just that song." So, for a moment here, let's actually think about what she'd say to her DATE at dinner when he asks about herself: "um, I don't have any childhood memories. I was adopted. So let's talk about you?" And I could easily tell you the boy would leave. Whether the interest was futuristic (leading towards a serious relationship and possible marriage) or a fling (would leave right after sex), a boy ALWAYS wants to know SOMETHING about the girl. For one thing: diseases.
Problem is Ranka has many friends over the course of the series. Let's count them shall we? Sheryl, Alto, Nanase, Luca, and Mikhail. Ranka only doesn't have memories of causing the accident that killed her family, she also doesn't doesn't have the v-type virus, only her mother and Sheryl did in this series.

Ranka also never asks Alto anything really personal about himself until episode 21, and Alto was told Ranka's past by Ozma, when he asked why she broke down.

Quote:
In Ranka's case, she has the V-type virus in her system that might be contagious and even just kissing might give it to him. But Ranka doesn't know she has it until Ep23-25. For another thing: behavior. Now, a LOT of people inherit their parents good looks but they also inherit their BEHAVIOR. And in Ranka's case, we can tell from one flashback in Ep23 that Ranka inherited her mother's stubbornness. However, what of her father? Most likely he's the one with the Zentradi blood, so she inherited anger from him. But what else? She's got NOTHING.
Ranka's didn't have the v-type virus her mother and Sheryl did. Also Ranka has her friends and family. Compared to Sheryl who was made an orphan to live on the streets by the very same woman who later on adopted her and took her in only to infect her with the v-type virus, for her own experiments, and then dropped her after finding someone she considered superior. If that wasn't enough she's also dying at the young age of 17, and because of her hectic life she doesn't have very many friends. Yeah, compared to Sheryl, Ranka has it easy.

Quote:
THIS is another reason Alto loves to share HIS past with her, for she has no inner demons to plague him with like others and can easily turn his frown upside down just with her smile.
He shared because she asked, he already told Sheryl the same thing in episode 7.

Quote:
However, she also has lack of self-worth, as Ep4 nicely pointed out when she compared her boobs to other girls' and admitted she couldn't do the competition on account that she wasn't like the other girls. She doesn't think she has a sex appeal. And she's right to THINK so too. She looks WAY younger than she actually is, which is WHY she can play Mao so easily. But this is also why she's more upset than normal when she sees Sheryl on the roof with Alto, HUGGING.
first of all it was Sheryl that encouraged Ranka to go through with the Miss Macross contest after she thought of dropping out, though knowing you you'd never admit that. Also two people hugging is nothing, and Ranka was never shown to be sensitive about the way she looks so you're making up there.

Quote:
For one thing: Sheryl is sexier than her and more important and she also HAS a past she can share with Alto so they can connect, unlike her. But the biggest burn is that Sheryl is her mentor and idol, someone she looks up to and trusts, that's why it's a DOUBLE burn to her. And let's not forget the REASON why Ranka was running up to the roof: Alto's performance in the sky gave her courage to ADMIT her feelings. When she runs up and sees him with Sheryl, how do YOU think you'd feel in HER situation?
Alto's perfomance in the sky was like the scene he acted for the movie scripted. It was never something that should has been taken on a personal level, as it was a part of Alto's job. Also again Ranka has never shown that she is seriously insecure about the way she looks, so you're just making things up. Also I can't say that I would feel for Ranka's situation because I think that I'd realize that it was a scripted performance first.

Quote:
Sheryl was someone she aspired to be. It was NOT because she wanted to sing, as she showed in Ep19 early on, but because she wanted to find self-worth in herself to approach someone romantically and she wanted to be someone who mattered to others, and someone whom could love. But when she met Alto, she should've let go of that desire, as he showed interest in her when she WASN'T a somebody (a good part for Alto , the famous Kabuki actor).
Ranka initially said it was because she wanted people to hear her sing, she didn't decide to only sing for Alto until much later on. She never said that she never wanted to sing, in fact just the opposite. Also Alto didn't care about anyone being famous because he was already used to it, though Alto being a famous Kabuki player means that Ranka was the one who was constantly star struck.

Quote:
However, he only inspired her TO sing. And a part of me believes it was BECAUSE he wanted her to sing that she actually went out and did so, because she believed he desired that of her. Regardless, if she had known about his past then, she would've realized that he was just pushing his own lack of the stage onto her, but if you look at it from a double-sided mirror: Alto becomes a man to protect her, Ranka becomes a woman to inspire him. In Ep3, this was shown real well as Ranka had inspired him to join the S.M.S. as a means of protecting HER, not anyone else AT THAT TIME. Her reason for going to the Miss Macross competition was inspired by HIM telling her to fly.
Actually the person who initially inspired them BOTH Ranka and Alto to start chasing after their dreams was Sheryl in episode 2, but considering your habit of blocking out anything containing her I doubt you remember. It was also Sheryl who stopped Ranka from giving up during the Miss Macross contest even with Alto supporting supporting her. So your skewed views are once again negated by canon.

Alto also wanted to join SMS in episode 2 because of Gilliam, but Ozma didn't let him, it was only after Ozma let Alto hear about Ranka's past that he allowed Alto to join, but Alto already asked in episode 2, which you are once again ignoring because of the lack of Ranka. It was more along the lines of Ozma would only let Alto join because of Ranka, rather than Alto actually actually joining because of Ranka.
Quote:
Another good reason I believe they each took their own steps away from each other and truly parted IN Ep3. So there was no true love triangle except between the girls figuring out if he loved one of them. And honestly, despite his relationship with Sheryl, Ranka still gives a try to see if he loves her. It was not SHERYL who pushed her to admit her feelings OR feel that way, but it was because she desired to be with him.
Considering that they're not even in a relationship and are barely even friends taking steps away from each other is a bad sign.

Quote:
And one thing I laugh about is that people say she doesn't see Alto romantically, that all she sees IS an image of what she WANTS him to be. In truth, what is she seeing: a handsome man, a knight in shining armor. Does she have good reason to? Yes. After Ep1, he saves her from the Vajra, he's handsome and kind, even strong; and she views him as her savior AND a love interest. It's not an image where she goes: "oh my, a pretty boy..." for like 25 episodes. It's an image where she understands WHEN they met. After all, the only other memory she might have is when he yelled at her in that episode. That wouldn't be a very good memory, now would it? And him looking dumbfounded later didn't work either nor when he was firing at the Vajra angrily. She wanted a GOOD memory and THAT was it.
No one ever said that Ranka never saw Alto romantically only that she never saw Alto for who he was, which is supported by canon. Though Ranka thinks of Alto as her protector in truth he never protects her, its always someone else protecting her and her attributing it to Alto, that much was apparent in episode 2.
Quote:
Don't blame HER for being flawed so much that it makes your dear Sheryl look like a GOD but she has her REASONS. And if you stepped off your high-horse, you'd see that she can NEVER measure up to a character like Sheryl, and so, she feels inferior.
Considering that you ignore all her flaws, and try to make up your own which was never at all stated in series, I got to wonder whether or not you realize that you are really insulting yourself. After all who was the person who insisted on only them having knowledge of facts, which they gained from a public online encyclopedia, in a community filled with people who has only have been talking about this for over 3 years, but also has a few member who regularly correct and not only own most of the official material but are also most likely the ones responsible for both the fansubs, and the information you quote from wikipedia.

Quote:
And if you actually looked back, you'd remember that Sheryl had NO dreams of being a singer for a significant reason. She just desired it. Sheryl had no reason that was worth continuing once she was ill (which Alto didn't understand because she never TOLD him why she sang). Sheryl wanted to get off the street, Grace took her. She wanted to be a singer since before her parents died, Grace helped her. Now ask yourself, AND the show, did RANKA want to sing since she was Sheryl's age (11-12)? No. At the time, she only sang the lullaby her MOTHER taught her.
Sheryl wanted to be a singer because she liked to sing, that's a significant enough reason to want to sing, in fact most singers day and age become singers because they like to sing. Sheryl outright said that she wanted to continue to sing because she felt that it was the only thing she had left, which was why she continued to sing even when her sickness started to weaken her. Also from your post you show that you don't know anything about Sheryl's character (in addition to Ranka's character either mind you). Grace sought out Sheryl, because she knew of her relation to Mao Nome and wanted to experiment on her, Sheryl is also the ninth girl that Grace did this to. It was never stated that Sheryl wanted to be a singer before her parents died (though Grace was most likely the one responsible for that one). Also now Sheryl is an evil girl for liking to sing, and wanting to get off the streets? There is such a thing as child starts you actually dreamed of wanting to sing. Not but you consider also Ranka a pure angel girl who got adopted just after her parents died, and deciding that she seriously wanted to become a singer when she was 16? Your views on life are skewed girl. Also no one knows whether or not Ranka actually wanted to sing any earlier than that.

Quote:
That being said, it's another reason why Alto might like Ranka more, as she starts to sing because she aspires to BE someone better than who she is. She wasn't FORCED to sing, she didn't have the blood of one, and she didn't just choose it, but she wanted to be someone who held self-worth, whom he could love, and that's an endearing thing when you look at how shy and soft-spoken she is. Meanwhile, Sheryl only sang in the beginning so she could express herself AND be famous. She didn't have lack of self-worth nor did she feel inferior to Grace or others around her, she just wanted to leave the hellhole of Galaxy. But Ranka didn't want to leave Frontier. Both Alto and Ranka chose careers that involved their homeworld whilst Sheryl merely wanted to abandon hers, and in the end, she DID. Once again, another plus for Alto and Ranka.
If Alto liked Ranka more then he would have chosen her over Sheryl, but he didn't in either the tv series, the manga, the novels, or the movies get over it. Also Sheryl never says anything about singing to be famous, way to demonize a character. Also little tidbit of fact, Grace was the one who raised Sheryl which was why Sheryl was so surprised that Grace betrayed her the way she did. Also there you go again demonizing Sheryl for wanted to have a roof over her head instead of just living alone on the streets, eating food out of a trash can, compared to the little girl who has all of her needs met and taken care of. Your views of life are skewed.

I'm ignoring the rest.

Alto chose Sheryl not Ranka, get over it.
Old 2011-05-25, 20:20   Link #1346
Thess

I don't want to join to a flame-war fest here. Please guys keep it civil. Ranka does have a lot of trauma too and I don't think she has "pity parties" (this is ONE of the communication problems between Alto and Ranka: she never really voiced her pain and connection to the Vajra clearly and he didn't even notice the clues).

From Ranka's mouth in episode 25, she admits that it was because of SHERYL she and Alto had strength to follow their dreams. She was slow in the uptake to realize it wasn't just Alto. She gives credit when is due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Alto chose Sheryl not Ranka, get over it.
Quoting this. It's kind of over officially right...?

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-05-25, 21:14   Link #1347
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
And the funny part is that Alto gives credits to BOTH girls, and not just the one who inspired him the most. He didn't choose one wing over the other or give a specific movement there, and that is why they say undecisive. After all, he raises both hands and says "you are both my wings!" without any physical movement towards either girl. Although, before that, he moves towards Ranka, "you, both of you," right then and doesn't approach Sheryl, also, they hold THEIR hands out to her, right next to each other, but then again, people want to delete that from their minds because they think Ranka is inferior to Sheryl, that's obvious from all the posts I read here.
No we don't - at least, I certainly don't - but this is a very different matter from the issue of who Alto loves romantically. (see this or this)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-05-25, 21:28   Link #1348
Thess

Quote:
Except, you forget that Ranka has SEEN what Alto will do to the Vajra. Don't you happen to think she'd be afraid of what he would do if she stated her feelings about the Vajra?
I don't think is Ranka's FAULT alone. They both share the blame, IMO. That's why they don't work (for me) as a healthy, romantic couple. I think I said a number of times before, if they hooked up, it would be a crash and burn relationship since both parties don't really seem to be able to understand each others. Although I think there were no such issues in the first movie, that was mainly lack of Alto's attraction to Ranka (aka he friendzoned her).

Quote:
And yes, thank you, Ranka DOES have a lot of trauma. After all, she saw her family die before her very eyes when she'd been sheltered her whole life by her parents so she wouldn't BECOME like Sheryl (closed off from others - this warms up later, but at the beginning of the series, I mean).
I know. That's why was important for Sheryl to share the burden with someone and for Ranka to try to face things on her own (Brera doesn't count >.>; as he is part of that past) on purely character growth perspective (even if Ranka's actions were ill-timed in terms of the plot and I think have a lousy execution). In terms of character growth, Alto/Sheryl seemed the logical progression for that very reason: with her sharing her secret wish. Same reason why Ranka rediscovered her past without Alto. If she was later captured/rescued, it was due to plot arc rather than a character arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
No we don't - at least, I certainly don't - but this is a very different matter from the issue of who Alto loves romantically. (see this or this)
Exactly. There's absolutely no contest both girls are dear for him and were necessary in his development, growth, etc (wasn't that the meaning behind both are my wings: of his total equal trust -not romantic love-?). But he only loves one of this girls romantically. Platonic love is in no way inferior to romantic love, by the way.

Likewise, Alto and Ranka are important to Sheryl. Their relationship is triangular, but only one of the sides have mutual romantic bond.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-05-25, 21:40   Link #1349
Darthtabby

I have to say I'm not really seeing much to dissuade me from the general opinions I've held on this issue for quite some time now.

As I see it Ranka basically has a puppy dog crush on Alto because she sees him as Prince Charming and the Knight in Shining Armour all rolled into one. Meanwhile he mostly seems to view her the way one might view a younger sibling that one was particularly fond of. If there was any sort of romantic feelings that he held for her, they were towards the midpoint of the series and weren't capitalized on.

Meanwhile Alto and Sheryl seem to have a much deeper connection. They seem to be able to talk to communicate decently well (in fact I think Alto communicates better with Sheryl than with many of his friends) and seem to enjoy the things they do together (especially notable in Alto's case as he ends up enjoying things he was essentially dragged into doing). Sheryl understands Alto's motivation better than Ranka and she seems willing to join in his dream of flying (though she continues to chase her own dream as well). Meanwhile Alto takes a number of actions that prove that he cares about Sheryl. He's willing to break a vow he made to himself just to see that she's all right and he committed himself to stay with her to the end when she was sick. I don't think he'd do that for someone he didn't deeply care about.

On a related note, I'd gotten the impression that Sheryl's love of singing only came to light after Grace picked her up. Sheryl's singing wasn't originally part of Grace's plan, it was something Grace discovered along the way that she found a way to work into what she was doing. That being said a lot of my info for Sheryl and Grace's background is second hand, I don't know Japanese and I don't have access to the drama CDs (well, aside from the incredibly cute clip of young Sheryl singing Totsugeki Love Heart that's posted on youtube).
Old 2011-05-25, 23:50   Link #1350
Thess

...Well, obviously Kawamori doesn't share your mother's opinion, LoveMeMegs.

Of course, if it would have gone my way. This would have been the ending:

Spoiler for image:

But I'm not the one who calls the shots, so I deal with it. Welcome to fanon!

Old 2011-05-26, 01:45   Link #1351
wisteria233

Spoiler for too long:

Quote:
Oh yes, poor Sheryl. Like there haven't been multiple other people who have been on the streets. And Sheryl says it herself: she's never been lucky. So she had to CREATE her own luck. Ranka is the lucky one. And, to be honest, both Ranka and Sheryl are bound to have met, as Mao Nome was the research director for 117. It just shows that Ranka got the long stick and Sheryl got the short. It doesn't mean that I demonized her, it just means that she had her fights, but when you look at it through both characters: they both lost their parents at age 11, both were picked up by people who took them in, both sang for different reasons, both met through Alto. Again, they both started out on Galia 4 and then ended up meeting again through Alto. He was the cement. And to be honest with you, Sheryl got her luck by reuniting with Ranka. After all, if she hadn't found Ranka, she would have suffered when she returned to Galaxy. It was due to Ranka that Alto accidentally got her earring and they formed a bond together. So it starts with Ranka and ends with Ranka. Shocking how people miss that.
I think Sheryl admitting the fact that she was lucky proves that she knows where she came from and was prepared to work hard to make sure that never goes back there. And yes, you have been demonizing Sheryl throughout all of your posts, while subsequently ignoring her involvement in both Ranka's AND Alto's lives as the catalyst to them seriously pursuing their dreams, though canon mentions it at every opportunity. Ranka was about 4-6 when she lost her parents. By the time Ranka was 11 Ozma had already adopted her. And now you ignore Alto.

Funny you just summarized your Ranka centered views. No it doesn't begin and end with Ranka, it had never began or ended with her. What happened in the series was a joint effect of the three of them meeting. Alto would have never met Ranka if not for Sheryl, and ditto for Ranka and Alto. But at the same time Alto would have never realized his dream if not for the Sheryl AND Ranka, and Sheryl would have never met people who actually cared for her if not for Alto and Ranka. That is the meaning of the triangular.

Quote:
Ah, is never gonna change: no. Because I see the true pairings of Macross F: Alto/Ranka and Brera/Sheryl
Enjoy your delusion, then.
Old 2011-05-26, 01:54   Link #1352
teelatsuki

I'm too tired to quote but from earlier posts...

WHAT THE HELL?!!!!

BreraxSheryl as a true couple I really hope you only refer to the movie verse when it has a (REALLY SLIM actually nill) chance of happening because in the series they didn't even met let alone talk to each other.

And also now canon does not mean anyting beacause you see the real pairings? what's the whole point of creating an history and tell it if at the end people will ignore it and change it so it adjusts their views, what's the point of creating a pairing that you don't like and then make it canon in every single continuity? please understand that you should respect canon at the very least and accept that your views are purely fanon

Other points

Sheryl saw alto as a romantic interest very early in the series she even asked him if he had a girlfriend (a consideration that Ranka didn't have mind you) in episode 5 wich means earlyer than that she was interested perhaps be the end of chapter 3.
Stop jumping between Alto being a real saviour to Ranka and him not, make up your mind or else it's confusing.
Sheryl didn't actually desired for being a singer she just happened to be good at it and needed it to make a living eventually that was the only thing that validated her an she says so herself "I singed to live but now I live to sing" she didn't do it for the glamour or anything she needed it.

I will make my point again the whole deal with chapter 21 was that Alto never really conected with ranka so stop pretending they had a strong bond or high understanding of each other.

Also don't pass Alto's denials as him wanting to marry ranka that's just creepy since they almost just had meet, him being intersted ok, but anything more is just too much.

As for the V-type Ranka didn't have it she had the cure to it wich turned out to be also a communication device.

Also sheryl knowing about Alto she did, Yasabouro just helped her understand his reasons for a little better nothing else.
Alto didn't choose to fight for ranka until episode 3, in episode 2 he just wanted to use a Valkyrie again and fight.

I remember some members saying this but i will repeat it

If Alto is enought of a jerk to have sex with a (terminally sick) woman (that if we go be the novels was a virgin) that he didn't love just to throw her away for another person, WHY would you want to pair your favorite character with him?

In chapter 10 Alto took the paper because the director was bothering him about it and wasn't about to stop.
About the roof scene could have played in a lot of ways if Ranka hadn't overeacted why would she overeact about something she has seen several times, BECAUSE SHE MISUNDERSTOOD ALTO'S PERFOMANCE AS A LOVE CONFESSION (I just realised that Alto was doing that performance for Sheryl to encourage her to sing again) and was sure that he loved her back wich is why she was ready to confess because she was sure she was going to succeed.(as for your question I would have made sure I knew what was going on instead of jumping to conclusions)

Also Ranka eventually was able to see the real Alto but that only was portrayed until episode 21 that's goddamn long time it took to break her bubble.

Don't go putting ages in the mix because it will just be wild guessing and that turns out ugly when the actual facts are revealed.

about the "you, you are both my wings" the first you was for sheryl since she was the one he was talking to at the moment.

also: how selfish sheryl is, not wanting to burden further an already burdened Alto with her problems not sharing her load unlike a certain greenhead that did just that trough the series, yes Sheryl is pure evil (hope you undertand this is sarcasm)

Finally: you just tried to remove the one trait that I liked of Ranka at first for your shipping tendencies, that trait being that she wanted to sing for everyone, that she changed her mind and choosed to sing for Alto only, rest of humanity be dammed was the biggest dissapointment I had with her character.

If you know ranka's character so well then you should know that wanting to sing only for alto was supossed to be one of her flaws right?

well that was longer that intended for the points that you made that bothered me... I hope i didn't went overboard at anytime but once again i'm tired so i don't know anymore.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:45   Link #1353
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Wow. Just when I thought she could not outdo herself...

Well no matter how long and "thought-out" her posts are. It's always fun and effective to say one thing:

Alto/Sheryl is canon. Deal with it.

In hindsight, fanon isn't so bad, just as long as you don't try to force it down others' throat like it's the truth. Quoting Natsu, that's like a raft (fanon) against Noah's ark (canon)....which she is doing basically.

P.S. The fact that she's bringing in her personal life into the discussion means she's getting desperate and grasping at straws (also she has a pretty warped sense of love if what she's saying about her parents is true). That alone makes me bang my head against a wall. I hope I don't get selective amnesia out of it. *whistles*

Last edited by raile; 2011-05-26 at 03:18.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:55   Link #1354
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Ah, is never gonna change: no. Because I see the true pairings of Macross F: Alto/Ranka and Brera/Sheryl
Okay, even I have to call you out on this. Where in the anime OR the movies do you even see this happening??

When you answer, I would like the episode number and the time in the episode where it happens so I can go look it up myself.
Old 2011-05-26, 02:55   Link #1355
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Good grief, sometimes my eyes hurt, while reading (or trying to read) some posts, here. And then, I laugh. Out loud. And I forget about it. Maybe some of you guys should do the same?

Let's talk about the original triangle, people. There's a rewatch going on, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Okay, even I have to call you out on this. Where in the anime OR the movies do you even see this happening??

When you answer, I would like the episode number and the time in the episode where it happens so I can go look it up myself.
Dude, don't you know she has a life outside of anime? She doesn't have the time to do those nerdy things, like actually backing up her claims with actual facts! Leave the girl alone, you bully!

Seriously, don't.

Old 2011-05-26, 03:24   Link #1356
solothurn
銀河妖精親衛隊・隊長

Lightbulb

*points at ignore list*
Old 2011-05-26, 03:44   Link #1357
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Well, Westlo's calling it as a failed trollolol. Which is somewhat true - you know you suck as a troll if you're too dull to be funny. Unsure of why people nevertheless respond to it anyway.

I'm more entertained by the notion of a lost, wandering soul hung up on the remnants of a shipping war long ended and only needs to be gently spirited away to the world of Fanon, where its welcoming doors await.

Leaving that alone and moving on, let me point to what has greatly interested me the past few weeks:

Hnnnnngh, that delicious stubble. (Yeah, I'm obviously up to date.)

Last edited by cheesie; 2011-05-26 at 04:35. Reason: Whoops, wrong stubble man.
Old 2011-05-26, 04:13   Link #1358
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

um...what?
Old 2011-05-26, 05:00   Link #1359
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
As my boyfriend put it quite nicely:

"Its like ketchup and peanut butter, while they go well with other things, both of them together....eghhh"

You see I'm more of a fan of Alto/Sheryl and Brera/Grace and Ranka/Nanase.

You know cuz at least I put 2 people together that met in the series at least.

or OH!

How about Grace/Nanase!? I think thats officially cannon for you, yes? Oh! or Gilliam/Ranka if you prefer?
Old 2011-05-26, 05:15   Link #1360
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
... or Gilliam/Ranka if you prefer?
My OTP!
Canon, I say! CANON!
Same with Bilrer/Ozma! Because I see the real pairings!