AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-02-23, 09:05   Link #181
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Ohh... yeah.... i forgot to ask, it seems that most people here are musicians so.... can anyone recommend me a good type of guitar... I mean, I was looking at fender stratocaster, squiers, Pauls les gibson, etc. What's exactly the difference between them?.... I mean, they are all electric guitars :P.... (yeah... I know.... I like guitars but i can't even tell them apart...). Anyways... plz help me a little ^^ ...

Thanks!
Moonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 09:31   Link #182
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Are you entirely surprised that a show heavily focusing on music and a band, attracted some musicians?

Regards guitar differences - feel, look, how they play, tone differences due to different pickups etc. Best advice would be to go try a few in a music shop, and get the feel of which you feel more comfortable with, and importantly which you find easier to get to the strings on (sounds wierd but some have chunkier necks etc, or the strings are raised slightly higher from the fret board etc)

A cheap copy will do as a start up instrument, but a real instrument from one of the bigger companies will often feel nicer to use. I had a cheap P-Bass copy as my first bass, and my Schecter is a different beast altogether, much nicer sound and nice to play (to the point my mate has borrowed it [read:stolen] for about the last 4 months!).
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 11:10   Link #183
Moonito
K-on Fan!

LOL you're right... but it also attracted some non-musicians (like me) that whats to be XD.... So... they HAVE difference on the sound... I mean... no guitar is "better" than the other one, just Different?.... I REEAAAALLLYYY like K-on's music and want to learn how to play it... which kind of guitar do you recommend for that... to be sincere... I feel like embarrased of going to a music shop and start "playing" every guitar they have (note that i CAN'T play a thing....)... That's why I want to go at least knowing which type I want.... But you say its a big difference in how you feel the guitar... so I will have to go and try them,right?.... well... that's when i get the money to do so... cause half my salary is for the university (BTW... im a programmer or at least I wanna be XD.... I'm a trainee in a big company programming in COBOL :P) and if I buy a guitar with the other half... I need like 2 or 3 months for a good guitar (squier, or a gibson) ...
Hehe "borrowed" Bass :P:P:P... sure... borrowed..
I would like to borrow a guitar... cna you send it to me in Argentina? XD.....
Eitherways... thanks for the advice and if you have any other advice, you are welcomed to post it :P
Old 2010-02-23, 11:26   Link #184
Moonito
K-on Fan!

OMFG!!!... I was searching in mercadolibre.com.ar (the site where you can buy things online here in argentina) and a fender mustang ( azusa's guitar) is about $6000 args ( like 4 times my salary) and $2700 args (2 times my salary...).... why are musical instruments soooooo expensive?. :'( .... I'll have to go for a common generic stratocaster ... about $700 with a normal amplifier... that's sad XD....
No-one here in argentina wanting to sell a used guitar veeery cheap? xD....
Old 2010-02-23, 11:28   Link #185
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonito View Post
LOL you're right... but it also attracted some non-musicians (like me) that whats to be XD.... So... they HAVE difference on the sound... I mean... no guitar is "better" than the other one, just Different?.... I REEAAAALLLYYY like K-on's music and want to learn how to play it... which kind of guitar do you recommend for that... to be sincere... I feel like embarrased of going to a music shop and start "playing" every guitar they have (note that i CAN'T play a thing....)... That's why I want to go at least knowing which type I want.... But you say its a big difference in how you feel the guitar... so I will have to go and try them,right?.... well... that's when i get the money to do so... cause half my salary is for the university (BTW... im a programmer or at least I wanna be XD.... I'm a trainee in a big company programming in COBOL :P) and if I buy a guitar with the other half... I need like 2 or 3 months for a good guitar (squier, or a gibson) ...
Hehe "borrowed" Bass :P:P:P... sure... borrowed..
I would like to borrow a guitar... cna you send it to me in Argentina? XD.....
Eitherways... thanks for the advice and if you have any other advice, you are welcomed to post it :P

Yeah thats basically it, and you can customise it yourself with aftermarket parts, but like amps, every make of guitar has a slightly different sound, which is why experienced guitarists spend so much time (usually) changing guitars because they want one they like for its looks, the way it plays, its standard tone.
Also why often you see famous guitarists sticking with a few guitars even though they could happily own most of a music shop in some cases.

As someone starting, I doubt much of this makes a huge amount of sense, but once you get used to playing YOUR instrument it'll probably begin to sink in Much like how no two pianos or cars are the same

My first recommendation would be go looking at the music shops in your area. Some of them will just want to sell you stuff, other shops and staff members will be more inclined to help someone chose thier first instrument, because it's actually kinda important, if your first instrument is a PITA it'll put you off!
"This is my guitar. There are many like it, but this one is MINE'

Also take a look around the big music shops, some of the more professional sites will have reviews and feedback on various guitar models. Then read up on amps etc and go try them.
If you get a good shop, or a good staff member, they'll often be able to help you chose a nice guitar and amp to start off with.

And yes he 'borrowed' it, he lost his old job and sold his old equipment to pay the bills, he's now got another part time job but has failed to return my kit yet.
I'm lazy and dont play/practice for periods of time, but it doesnt mean I dont want it back, that guitar is MINE.
My old P-Bass copy looks a mess in comparison (and it is to be fair, I've not looked after it anywhere near as well).

Once you've owned a guitar for a while you'll start to get the attachment factor. My dad has a 12-string acoustic he's had for years, and if you so much as touch it or look at it funny...

Regards instrument costs, Im not sure what Argentinian dollars are worth, but yeah expensive instruments (and the people in K-On play VERY expensive kit...because it looks good for the sponsoring companies!) are probably not the best way to go. Look at something a bit more mid/low range to start off with.
I was in the USA a few years ago, and visited a music shop and there were tons of guitars in there for a few hundred dollars US. Not all of them were that great, but there were certainly some nice ones. Do some research on better value brands, Gibson, Fender, and the likes are your 'big boys'.

Stuff like: http://guitar.about.com/od/helpbuyin...ricguitars.htm might help.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar.gc
Look for other sites recommending nice guitars at various prices, then go find music shops that give a damn, and go for the one you like best, and feels most comfortable to play for you (neck size, fret board length etc).

Oh, and final thing, buying online is usually cheaper, but if you're gonna go that route, try and find somewhere with the instrument before you buy, so you can at least see it in the flesh!
Old 2010-02-23, 12:25   Link #186
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Actually... i donīt want to buy it online becuase of what you said :P.... I was only checking for prices.... 1 dollar about 4 args.... and when they import stuff the price goes twice.... i mean, if in USA is 300 U$S here about 600U$S.... I mean.... there is no chance that a normal girl like K-on ones get THAT guitar :P.... I was looking at http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...ua-fender--_JM .... this is the most expensive I can buy atm.... and it seems just fine for a begginer, right?...

this is the CHEAPEST in the country http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...tia-envios-_JM

and here we have the same but with an amp http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...pua-fender-_JM

The only difference between the last 2 is that the last one has an amplifier, same guitar..

If you need some translation jsut tell me and i'll do that ^^

Thanks for the help !
Old 2010-02-23, 12:32   Link #187
Moonito
K-on Fan!

this is also at a pretty good price (all the prices are in Args) http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/...special-ii-_JM
Old 2010-02-23, 13:18   Link #188
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I'd try and get one from a 'brand' if at all possible, the generic cheap ones tend to be not so nice to play. Something like Yamaha or Epiphone.
Old 2010-02-23, 14:36   Link #189
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=80778 (here)
Old 2010-02-23, 17:01   Link #190
Moonito
K-on Fan!

Epiphone here is 250U$S MINIMUM... that's not very cheap in argentina, besides, that would be my FIRST guitar... something to start with.. i think it's kind of too much... but gonna think about it :P
Old 2010-02-23, 18:59   Link #191
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Sometimes you have to lay down some money to get something worthwhile.

Either way its your choice, but I still recommend getting out there and trying guitars before making a decision.
Old 2010-02-23, 20:01   Link #192
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I'd try and get one from a 'brand' if at all possible, the generic cheap ones tend to be not so nice to play. Something like Yamaha or Epiphone.
Do you know how much the Yamaha SBV 500 tends to cost?

Sure Yamaha is generally considered one of the cheap brands but I'm pleasantly surprised by the SBV's sound
Old 2010-02-23, 20:10   Link #193
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Not a clue, I dont think pay much attention unless buying! Also I dont think my sentence came across well either taken OOC. What I meant was get one from a brand like Yamaha or Epiphone, rather than a generic no-name, because they cater to the beginner with decent entry level kit as well as selling more expensive kit. whereas most no-name kit Ive tried was a bit ropey by comparison.
Hope that makes more sense!
Old 2010-02-23, 20:17   Link #194
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Nah, I was saying that because Yamaha tends to get looked down upon where I live...
Old 2010-02-23, 20:32   Link #195
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Meh even if they arent topdog they still make good kit for those on a budget, Id take a Yammy over a no name any day, theyre still in business for good reason. At the higher end there is better stuff but they certainly have thier place.
Old 2010-02-25, 21:40   Link #196
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

Hi everyone! I posted a cover of Fude Pen Boru Pen or something like that. Tell me how I did and rate too! Thanks. P.S. I epic failed on the solo. Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzH7PnvyCdk

Last edited by Moogie; 2010-02-25 at 21:51.
Moogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 16:16   Link #197
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Not a bad attempt, although the timing/note length was out a bit several times (listen to this next to the original and you'll probably see what I mean). Keep at it though because fluency and timing will come with *even more* practice
The solo section you already know about!

On another note I did have to laugh a little, the video makes the guitar look very big or you very small. The guitar looks the same or a little larger than a bass guitar does on me

Edit: Oh, I'd consider trying out some different effects.

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-02-26 at 16:51.
Old 2010-02-26, 21:53   Link #198
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

Oh yeah. I couldnt hear some parts on the song on my ipod so i just guessed and turns out i was off by a lot. And what do u mean by effects? On my guitar? If so i dont have an effect box or anything. And the guitar looks fine to me. One last thing. Thank you for the help! ^_^ i gotta work on my skillllzzz. Haha

P.s. I think ill take it off and put my love is a stapler instead because im better at it.
Old 2010-02-27, 07:20   Link #199
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

If you dont have an fx pedal or settings on your amp dont worry about effects Keep at the practice
Old 2010-02-27, 15:22   Link #200
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

thanks. I will practice. and I dont have the money to buy a pedal or something. I'm not all that rich.