AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-21, 02:32   Link #121
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 19 References Part III

Spoiler for Long post! Unhide to read.:
Old 2007-08-21, 02:35   Link #122
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I bet this stumped the otakus!

Actually they've caught it. I think their more likely to be stumped by current Japanese TV shows than Sci-Fi classics.
Old 2007-08-21, 02:58   Link #123
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I was waiting for your submission before updating the sticky. Update now done.

I must say episodes 13 and 14 feel a bit lonely if compared to the others
Old 2007-08-21, 03:29   Link #124
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I was waiting for your submission before updating the sticky. Update now done.

I must say episodes 13 and 14 feel a bit lonely if compared to the others
I might go back and complete them... if I have the time, I may do the whole series. Just not sure who would read them though...
Old 2007-08-21, 11:40   Link #125
bullrogg

FOMA SH903iTV Black- i wish they made this phone in america -_-, thx avplaya for the info
Old 2007-08-21, 13:12   Link #126
darksider

EP20
Another moment Minami feeling uneasy about her chest, like following

Yutaka: You'll look nice in yukata!
Minami: ...I know you are being nice, but somehow I can't heartily enjoy it.
It's just like... you're saying I don't have...

Behind this conversation, Minami had in her mind a rather common assumption that people with larger breasts doesn't fit in the kimonos very well, being easier to look fat and tubby.
(And probably Yutaka had no idea about it, or simply no idea about Minami's source of grief itself.)

(Superfluous comment: I thought it goes without saying if you are a Japanese, but it looks like many failed to catch the idea, so for that reason.)
Old 2007-08-22, 19:45   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksider View Post
EP20
(Superfluous comment: I thought it goes without saying if you are a Japanese, but it looks like many failed to catch the idea, so for that reason.)
No, you're going to find you often need to explicitly note the "obvious" because many anime watchers are staggeringly unfamiliar with "things taken for granted" in Japan.... or anywhere else sometimes
Old 2007-08-28, 00:53   Link #128
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Episode 21 reference spotted:
Spoiler for Episode 21:
Old 2007-08-28, 22:54   Link #129
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 20 References Part A

Spoiler for Long Post, unhide to view:
Old 2007-08-28, 22:59   Link #130
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 20 References Part B

Spoiler for Long Post - unhide to read:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-28 at 23:25.
Old 2007-09-14, 16:56   Link #131
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

I've looked around but I have not yet found this one. Since I have no official ref post for the OP, here it is.

The sideway gun guesture Konata made during the OP, in which she jabs the viewer with her index finger several times, seemed to be a reference to a part of the Akiba-idol group AKB48's dance for their single "Aitakatta". At the end of the chorus, during the line "Kimi ni...", all the girls would point their right hand up in the exact fashion as Konata and point forward as the finish the line.

I believe this is a reference because 1. The song came before L*S started, and 2. We know KyoAni watches idol groups obsessed by the Wotas like Momusu to get their idea for their OP/ED dances. An online discussion revealed that several famous ota-gei movements were performed by the SOS-dan during the full Hare Hare Yukai dance. I'm quite sure they must have viewed all available video on the rising star of the Wota scene - AKB48 - when planning their dancing segments.

You can reference these two videos - the gesture is pretty much the signature move of the song. I'm sure it performed many a moe-death to the otageishi screaming below.

Spoiler for Unhide to view Moe Video:

No I'm not a full fledge WOTA - I just happen to like AKB48. I caught this song accidentally on Youtube once and got hooked. Plus they're quite popular with girls now; even my wife liked them.
Old 2007-09-15, 07:03   Link #132
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Added in the episode 1 post.
Old 2007-09-17, 12:30   Link #133
PirateSkittles
Organization of Cute

Since the season is now finished (hoping for a 2nd season x.x), I went back and re-watched the episodes that aren't completely done in references (according to the list on the first page). So...yeah. These are the references I found that weren't mentioned.

Spoiler for Episode 13:

Spoiler for Episode 14:

Spoiler for Episode 21:

Last edited by PirateSkittles; 2007-09-17 at 15:49.
Old 2007-09-21, 15:40   Link #134
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 23 References

All of my EP23 References in 1 post:

===
Spoiler for Long Post, Unhide to read:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-22 at 15:25.
Old 2007-09-22, 04:09   Link #135
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Updated

@AVPlaya, though my favourite Suneohair's song is Split (H&C2 ED), and I agree about Melissa.

@All: we might as well take that list of all the series mentioned and update it. I'll put it after episode 24's post. Anyone willing to do it? I'm extra busy at the moment (and until the end of the month ^^)
Old 2007-09-27, 16:49   Link #136
jsrv

Episode 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Spoiler for Long post! Unhide to read.:
Good list.

It could just be a coincidence that the tunes sound very similar, but doesn't the BGM that plays when Yukata's trying to put up the poster sound almost something out of Diebuster? (Buster Machine's Sadness? I'm not sure if the original Gunbuster also had a similar sounding track like many of Diebuster's music)
Old 2007-10-15, 16:24   Link #137
endlezz
Ace of Spades

I am not quite sure, but isnt Konatas teacher (first shown in episode 2, right before the crane game) a reference to Kamio Haruko from AIR? I mean she has the same facial expressions, a fang and the accent.

And in the scene where Konata and Kagami are in the book store, doens QUO card sound a lot like Clow Card?

Last edited by endlezz; 2007-10-15 at 18:00.
Old 2007-10-15, 22:08   Link #138
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlezz View Post
And in the scene where Konata and Kagami are in the book store, doens QUO card sound a lot like Clow Card?
They are real items: Quo Cards
Old 2007-11-05, 23:59   Link #139
Kyomi
What do I know?

About episode 16 I'm pretty sure people already talked about it but since it's not in the reference list, about the

[Haruhi cosplayers actualy being the original Voice Actors from the show.
-Kyon clerk (Tomokazu Sugita)
-Yuki Waitress (Minori Chihara)
And of course Konata using Hirano Aya's voice while picking up the girls order]

Meh, not sure if it makes any sense but just throwing it in.

Last edited by Kyomi; 2007-11-06 at 00:18.
Old 2008-03-07, 00:15   Link #140
Dee Eon

Cultural references for Episode 22

(No need to credit me. Too many others contributed here!)

From Boulder Japanese locals: most jars used in pre-war Japan and some today opened clockwise, as opposed to the West's counter-clockwise so not to be associated with imitating "inferior foreigners." So how can Konata close Yuu-chan's jar by twisting it counter-clockwise? Also, it could be inferred that Yuu-chan being unable to close her jar (a simple act) but makes it crooked is a metaphor for how Westernization has "broken" (or "screwed-up"?) Japanese traditions.

From Boulder Japanese locals: Konata's struggle with the chips bag is very likely a take off of a late-nineties "Tylenol overboard" damages case brought by relatives of an elderly man who was found dead with angina pills in his hand but supposedly couldn't ingest them in time because of an fatal seizure brought on by the struggle to open the bottle's complicated locking cap.

From James Burke's "Connections" PBS TV show tape on Japan's emergence: In Edo days, during the occasional blight (and famine) a succulent such as Japanese sweet potato (as Kagami was eating) was extremely hard to come by, so to offer one to another over one's kin during one was considered an expression of greatest regard. (notice that despite first balking, Konata pigs out on it anyway!)

Minor inconsistency point: Unlike other episodes, in ep 22, Tsukasa's bed is up against a wall instead of perpendicular to it.

Peeking into kitchen, Sou-kun is sweat-drop concerned of Kanata exhausting her frail state while trying to cut a daikon, which can sometimes be as dense as a turnip to dice.

Poor Kanata stops, falters, then drops(?) or passes out while bringing tea to Sou-kun?

Kanata's spirit would've dropped in on a "ghost month" in Japan (a full moon exactly on middle of month) when spirits can be briefly draw down to earth by the recollections and dreams of the living. Kanata must've paid a call more often than the series lets on since she states that she hadn't been there "for a while".

The reason Sou-kun and Yuu-chan and Konata were so upset by Kanata's "spirit shadow" in a photograph (nensha) was because it posed a triple threat; in pre-Edo times people were afraid of ghosts returning to their homes because they would jinx the prospects of their relatives and cast a pall over the house so they'd sometimes torch the room and effects of the deceased to destroy their link with the living, which is mild compared some areas where you purged female ghosts by burning down the hut in which the oldest woman of a family died to ward off her ghost's return (pretty expensive cure); also, since late Edo times a photograph with three people in it is extremely unlucky because the person in the middle will die soon; in late 19th century Japan the big dread among couples was that a photographic session might "capture" a spirit happening by and so cursed you as above and you had to swiftly destroy "the trap" (photograph) to set them free by the same means. In Japan, by and large, it was more the omen the ghosts dragged in with them than the ghosts themselves you had to worry about.

Dee
Closed Thread