AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-25, 18:55   Link #61
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And the stupid thing is I could have looked it up, I played 100% of TL1 that way.
Ever since Diablo 1, when playing this type of game I tend to hold SHIFT instinctively when attacking... even with melee characters. Not the most efficient move in those cases, but I find it to be worth it when it prevents my ranged character from walking somewhere I didn't mean her to.

Torchlight 2 has also added CTRL-click, which does nothing at all unless you click on an attackable object or enemy, at which point you attack it in whatever fashion your weapons make appropriate: melee-folks will head in to smack it while ranged folks will shoot it. Can sometimes be a double-edged sword, if (as I do) you hold down the mouse on a target in order to keep attacking it until it dies, and the target wanders away from you. Your character will follow to keep it in range, ignoring the fact that there may be a few dozen other monsters swarming around between you and it who you currently aren't killing, and who are all perfectly willing to chomp on you while you're chasing down that one guy.

Use every tool in moderation, is probably the lesson here. Stuff is useful under specific circumstances, but probably shouldn't be used in others. Common sense.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 23:49   Link #62
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Ever since Diablo 1, when playing this type of game I tend to hold SHIFT instinctively when attacking... even with melee characters. Not the most efficient move in those cases, but I find it to be worth it when it prevents my ranged character from walking somewhere I didn't mean her to.

Torchlight 2 has also added CTRL-click, which does nothing at all unless you click on an attackable object or enemy, at which point you attack it in whatever fashion your weapons make appropriate: melee-folks will head in to smack it while ranged folks will shoot it. Can sometimes be a double-edged sword, if (as I do) you hold down the mouse on a target in order to keep attacking it until it dies, and the target wanders away from you. Your character will follow to keep it in range, ignoring the fact that there may be a few dozen other monsters swarming around between you and it who you currently aren't killing, and who are all perfectly willing to chomp on you while you're chasing down that one guy.

Use every tool in moderation, is probably the lesson here. Stuff is useful under specific circumstances, but probably shouldn't be used in others. Common sense.
Oh. So that's what it was. I just dismissed it as useless after seeing it in the control layout. Still won't be using it but it's good to know.

Unrelated:
Dislike how rifles are no longer in the game, but I'm okay with that, because shotgonnes are amazing. So much utility and crowd control. Just need to find blood ember specks to ensure that my outlander doesn't die with every other hit.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 00:20   Link #63
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Unrelated:
Dislike how rifles are no longer in the game, but I'm okay with that, because shotgonnes are amazing. So much utility and crowd control. Just need to find blood ember specks to ensure that my outlander doesn't die with every other hit.
Not sure why Runic did this, especially given that...

Spoiler for Act 2 content:

I for one think balancing them wouldn't be that hard - they'd have better range and damage (including, another denizen of the official forums suggested, an innate partial armor-negation akin to claws) than the bows and crossbows of an equivalent tier, but the lowest fire rate of the three.

Oh, and...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 21:46   Link #64
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Entered the Arena of Slaughter in Act 3 and boy, did I got my butt kicked or what? >_<

Lost 4 times just trying to clear the final round.
Old 2012-09-26, 23:22   Link #65
Random Wanderer

Playing four characters at once means that I'm not progressing very fast. I've still got two people in Act 2 and two people in Act 1. It seems like every day, whichever character I was playing the day before no longer appeals to me, and I need to play a different one.
Old 2012-09-26, 23:57   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Playing four characters at once means that I'm not progressing very fast. I've still got two people in Act 2 and two people in Act 1. It seems like every day, whichever character I was playing the day before no longer appeals to me, and I need to play a different one.
I'm like that with almost every game -- multiple avatars and progressing them together.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:43   Link #67
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I had a severe case of that in diablo 3. I have 4 classes in act 1 or 2 of inferno and I was still wavering.

Not this game. I willfully picked the engineer and am going to stick with it for at least one playthrough.
Old 2012-09-27, 02:34   Link #68
Aesthetic Shampoo

i just lost ALL my money in act 2 trying to finish a phase beast dungeon. I had to kill 3 giant slime monsters at the same time while they summoned a whole lot of smaller slimes. I guess i should have respawned at the town with no cost all those times i died >.<

Oh yeah, i didn't actually even finish that dungeon. I rq'd during the 4th or 5th attempt after i ran out of money to spawn back in the dungeon.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 02:52   Link #69
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
i just lost ALL my money in act 2 trying to finish a phase beast dungeon. I had to kill 3 giant slime monsters at the same time while they summoned a whole lot of smaller slimes. I guess i should have respawned at the town with no cost all those times i died >.<

Oh yeah, i didn't actually even finish that dungeon. I rq'd during the 4th or 5th attempt after i ran out of money to spawn back in the dungeon.
I had a similar problem with that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I entered a challange in Act 2, where I have to fight three Tar Slimes and dear god! That has been the longest fight I had had until now. Gained three levels fighting them and almost got killed once. >_<
Glaive Trow was not working well against them, so I had to change to Sandstorm and killed them just with that. I basically run in circles while keeping them at the center, always trying to hit the same slime over and over.
Old 2012-09-27, 05:09   Link #70
Aesthetic Shampoo

I am so mad right now. I finally got the hang of the 3 Slime king thing, and gained 2 lvls just by kiting the smaller slimes. And the portal closes on me. Ok, so maybe i didn't even get to kill 1 slime king, but come on! I knew i would have got it eventually!
Old 2012-09-27, 06:13   Link #71
Random Wanderer

Quote:

As I recall, my Engineer just sort of tanked them. There may have been a bit of running and switching to a cannon to bombard them from range for a bit, but I'm pretty sure I remember beating at least two of them by wading in and just beating them with a giant wrench until they popped.
Old 2012-09-27, 21:09   Link #72
Random Wanderer

Something I've been noticing with my characters is that the higher-level powers (or, the non-summoning ones, at least, since I don't do summons) tend to be of distinctly limited utility compared to the lower-level ones. By which I mean that the abilities I have chosen for my mouse button are uniformly first-tier abilities. Nothing in the higher levels that I've found so far has made me go "now this is awesome, and I'm going to use it enough that I'll map it to the mouse to have it ready in an instant." They're all things that can be useful in certain situations, but most of them really are just majorly inefficient. The mana-cost-to-damage ratio tends to be much too high compared to the low-tier powers, and the high-tier stuff tends to have cooldowns that make using them as a primary attack impossible altogether. In fact, I kind of feel that if I was somewhat more skilled I probably wouldn't ever need to use anything but the tier-1 powers at all. It's nice that they went to some lengths to keep the low-level powers relevant, but I don't like that it seems to have come at the cost of getting any truly awesome new powers as I level up.
Old 2012-09-28, 00:39   Link #73
Aesthetic Shampoo

I completely forgot to add vitality to my Berserker
So that's why i've been dying so much!
Old 2012-09-28, 02:30   Link #74
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Something I've been noticing with my characters is that the higher-level powers (or, the non-summoning ones, at least, since I don't do summons) tend to be of distinctly limited utility compared to the lower-level ones. By which I mean that the abilities I have chosen for my mouse button are uniformly first-tier abilities. Nothing in the higher levels that I've found so far has made me go "now this is awesome, and I'm going to use it enough that I'll map it to the mouse to have it ready in an instant." They're all things that can be useful in certain situations, but most of them really are just majorly inefficient. The mana-cost-to-damage ratio tends to be much too high compared to the low-tier powers, and the high-tier stuff tends to have cooldowns that make using them as a primary attack impossible altogether. In fact, I kind of feel that if I was somewhat more skilled I probably wouldn't ever need to use anything but the tier-1 powers at all. It's nice that they went to some lengths to keep the low-level powers relevant, but I don't like that it seems to have come at the cost of getting any truly awesome new powers as I level up.
Yeah emberquake is kinda meh. Flame hammer is so much win, and it's the first skill you get as an engineer.

Sledgebot though is a decent high-damage tank.

Oh by the way I had a greatsword that had 400-ish base dps and a +370 physical damage over five seconds.

And earlier today I replaced it with a unique great hammer. It's nice to see loot continuously improving as the game goes along.
Old 2012-09-28, 18:52   Link #75
Random Wanderer

...Dammit. I accidentally destroyed a piece of armor I wanted to keep while trying to destroy a different piece of armor to get the gems out of it. And the bloody game checkpoints immediately AFTER exiting the item destruction vendor, meaning I couldn't undo it even by force-ending the application and restarting.

Please excuse me while I go beat my head against a wall for not properly paying attention.
Old 2012-09-28, 21:37   Link #76
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Speaking of mistakes....

I finally got tired of all the ones I made with my first Outlander, so I decided to start all over again. Cleared all of Act 1 already and quickly trying to level up again in Act 2.

Not gonna bother with stuff like Vortex Hex anymore either.
Old 2012-09-28, 22:00   Link #77
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I finally got tired of all the ones I made with my first Outlander, so I decided to start all over again. Cleared all of Act 1 already and quickly trying to level up again in Act 2.

Not gonna bother with stuff like Vortex Hex anymore either.
What kind of build are you using? I've found Vortex Hex to be a shotgunner's good friend. Especially when said shotty has an attack speed of .8s before any charge bar benefits.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 22:20   Link #78
Aesthetic Shampoo

DO you guys explore every inch of the dungeon before moving on? I do, but it get tedious and sometimes i wonder if its a waste of time. Just wondering.
Old 2012-09-28, 22:54   Link #79
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
What kind of build are you using? I've found Vortex Hex to be a shotgunner's good friend. Especially when said shotty has an attack speed of .8s before any charge bar benefits.
My old one was a Glaive Trow spammer focusing on passives, but now I want to mix things a bit more using also Cursed Daggers instead of Sandstorm, using Rune Vault more and so on. Will also have a heavier focus on well.... focus.

I am also dropping Vortex Hex to try Bramble Wall a bit more.

Quote:
DO you guys explore every inch of the dungeon before moving on? I do, but it get tedious and sometimes i wonder if its a waste of time. Just wondering.
In this second playthrough, I found a block puzzle in the temple were you rescue the Vanquisher; something I did not see the first time. If I had gone straight to the exit I might have missed this, so I say it certainly worth it to check every corner.

It's also fun to find secret rooms from time to time!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-28 at 23:05.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 23:36   Link #80
Random Wanderer

Quote:
DO you guys explore every inch of the dungeon before moving on?
Standard procedure for me, in any game.