AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 22:58   Link #41
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I've learned to expect Game Freak to *not* do that with every new batch of Pokemon games. Sure, it would be nice to be surprised, and I wouldn't eliminate the possibility, but it's best not to count on it.
Only reason they did it with SoulSilver and HeartGold was because Silver and Gold themselves already did go back to previous regions.
Old 2012-02-29, 17:42   Link #42
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
Old 2012-02-29, 18:03   Link #43
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Only reason they did it with SoulSilver and HeartGold was because Silver and Gold themselves already did go back to previous regions.
That and gold and silver were seriously dated by that time.
Old 2012-02-29, 18:52   Link #44
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I disagree. The Black and White games have been really fun to play through, and they have the best story so far out of the franchise of games. They may be beating a Pokemon too much, but it's not quite dead yet in my opinion.

Now if you're talking about the anime, that thing has been dead since birth.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 19:29   Link #45
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I disagree. The Black and White games have been really fun to play through, and they have the best story so far out of the franchise of games. They may be beating a Pokemon too much, but it's not quite dead yet in my opinion.

Now if you're talking about the anime, that thing has been dead since birth.
Okay, I agree the stories were quite fun, but you have to admit that the Pokemon, the reason for these games, are becoming insanely uncreative. I stopped really caring about Pokemon games after Gold and Silver, because they just didn't leave any impression on me (and trust me, I've played all of them). The more they make, the more it'll be focusing on story, and less of it will be on catching Pokemon you want. I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.

As for the anime, yeah. Season 1 was fun for childhood nostalgia reasons (maybe even a little of Season 2, sans the idiot Tracey who replaced Brock), but the following stuff and the movies (oh lawd, the movies) were awful.
Old 2012-02-29, 19:47   Link #46
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Okay, I agree the stories were quite fun, but you have to admit that the Pokemon, the reason for these games, are becoming insanely uncreative. I stopped really caring about Pokemon games after Gold and Silver, because they just didn't leave any impression on me (and trust me, I've played all of them). The more they make, the more it'll be focusing on story, and less of it will be on catching Pokemon you want. I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, there are only so many different types of fictional creatures you can make literally hundreds of configurations from before going stale. I personally set my standards for the new Pokemon low so I'm never disappointed. Plus, I get a different type of fun from seeing the more audacious new designs such as Vanillite.

And I agree that there Black and White are relatively poor when it comes to gameplay and replayability, which is why Gen 5 is not my favorite Pokemon generation (that would be either Gen 1 or 4, but it's been some time since I've played them). I know it's different for you, but so far the main Pokemon RPG series, as repetitive as it is, hasn't given me any reason yet to become cynical over it, so I still tend to look at the best parts of each generation.
Old 2012-02-29, 19:52   Link #47
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Mhm, that's alright. You've got your own personal preferences, after all. For me, my favourite two generations are the first and second respectively. While Gold/Silver added new featurettes to the game, the original had the simplicity that I love. Respectively, Stadiums 1 and 2 were awesome as well, I think.
Old 2012-02-29, 20:02   Link #48
MAX_COLA_POWER!

If you guys wanna go back to the other regions, than I hope the pokémon you have that learned surf can use that move to cross the pacific. Unova is Poké-América remember?
Old 2012-03-01, 11:47   Link #49
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Pokemon outsells everything from Final Fantasy to Street Fighter, I guess all these games are dead to you.

Not sure why people are upset with a sequel instead of grey.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 12:24   Link #50
GDB

Quote:
I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.
I couldn't even make it through the 6th gym in Black for the same reason. None of the new Pokemon interest me at all. Similarly, most of Gen 3 and 4 didn't either, but they at least didn't feel "boring", and they let me trade with the older Gens.

Quote:
I personally set my standards for the new Pokemon low
I do too, except for the starters. The starters should be some of the coolest Pokemon around, so that you don't want to get rid of them. Instead, the new crop feels bland and bad. And rehashed Fire/Fighting can burn in hell.

Maybe v2 will introduce a new aspect to the game, since they didn't do it in the first Black and White. And no, rotational battles and 3v3 are not new aspects. I'm talking along the lines of hold items, abilities, and the physical/special split.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 12:47   Link #51
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I do too, except for the starters. The starters should be some of the coolest Pokemon around, so that you don't want to get rid of them. Instead, the new crop feels bland and bad.
I'm personally fond of the Snivy line, but Oshawott gets progressively worse as it evolves and Tepig is freaking awful.

Quote:
And rehashed Fire/Fighting can burn in hell.
Agreed. The developers at Game Freak reached a profound level of moronic insanity when making another fire/fighting starter.
Old 2012-03-01, 20:31   Link #52
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Ugh. I agree too that this set was by far the worst. There were some interesting ones, but I rarely ever tried to get my hands on even them.

Favorite gen is likely the 2nd or 4th
Old 2012-03-02, 02:29   Link #53
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Whether you consider the current games boring is one thing, but calling it dead is as true as me being female.
In other words, it isn't. And as long as it outsells practically every other game in the industry, it can't be considered dead.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:25   Link #54
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Agreed. The developers at Game Freak reached a profound level of moronic insanity when making another fire/fighting starter.
I so agree with this. Blaziken was my favorite fire/fighting starter. Maybe simply because it was new to have a dual type starter. Didn't really care about Infernape and never tried the fire pig.

@team building in each generation: Fortunately I have always found a team that appealed to me visually while not being overly horrible in combat so far, especially as I cannot trade most of the time. You tend to get bombared with bazillion water types (except for Black/White I think), but I found most flying types in Black/White ugly except for Braviary, who evovolved painfully late as a story-team choice >_<
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:59   Link #55
Sagi

Quote:
It may be dead for you, but for me its still going strong.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:12   Link #56
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm not looking at it financially. From my standpoint, I just really hate that feeling of when I know whereabouts the industry stopped being innovative and switches to milking dollars from consumers. That's just how I felt, and everyone else can have their own opinions.

Like I said though, Black and White felt insanely bland when it came to the Pokemon themselves, and to hear that they're making a sequel off of it...well, I don't know what they'll do. Something that might be cool is a proper console Pokemon game, maybe? Nothing like that Colosseum stuff, but in the style of the handheld RPGs. As long as the new Pokemon they come up with show a bit of creativity, I might be compelled to come back. As it is right now though, I won't be able to stand the Black/White generation monsters again, so I'll pass on B2/W2.
Old 2012-03-02, 09:49   Link #57
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I so agree with this. Blaziken was my favorite fire/fighting starter. Maybe simply because it was new to have a dual type starter.
Venusaur and Charizard say otherwise.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 11:18   Link #58
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm not looking at it financially. From my standpoint, I just really hate that feeling of when I know whereabouts the industry stopped being innovative and switches to milking dollars from consumers. That's just how I felt, and everyone else can have their own opinions.

Like I said though, Black and White felt insanely bland when it came to the Pokemon themselves, and to hear that they're making a sequel off of it...well, I don't know what they'll do. Something that might be cool is a proper console Pokemon game, maybe? Nothing like that Colosseum stuff, but in the style of the handheld RPGs. As long as the new Pokemon they come up with show a bit of creativity, I might be compelled to come back. As it is right now though, I won't be able to stand the Black/White generation monsters again, so I'll pass on B2/W2.
Then again I don't really play for the story since it's a bit meh, although it's entertaining. I usually play Pokemon for the battling, where things get technical. This is why I spend a lot of time playing Pokemon since I breed for the right natures, IVs, egg moves and then EV train them. There is even a popular competitive Pokemon Battling community based just on that, which is Smogon. From there, you can use them in an online battle, which I did quite a lot, but not lately... but I should really get back into it since I trained all those Pokemon already.

Aside from that, I look forward to any changes to the metagame such as additional moves added and such in the sequels.
Old 2012-03-02, 14:22   Link #59
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Blaziken and Charizard are tied as the best fire starters. Charizard because he was a fucking dragon, and we all love dragons, and Blaziken because he was Pokémon incarnation of Chuck Norris, with Blaze roundhouse kick and everything .
Old 2012-03-02, 17:08   Link #60
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Venusaur and Charizard say otherwise.
Just curious here- was Charizard considered to be a Flying type of sorts in the first generation? I recall them adding types to Pokemon as generations went on, like to Magnemite for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Then again I don't really play for the story since it's a bit meh, although it's entertaining. I usually play Pokemon for the battling, where things get technical. This is why I spend a lot of time playing Pokemon since I breed for the right natures, IVs, egg moves and then EV train them. There is even a popular competitive Pokemon Battling community based just on that, which is Smogon. From there, you can use them in an online battle, which I did quite a lot, but not lately... but I should really get back into it since I trained all those Pokemon already.

Aside from that, I look forward to any changes to the metagame such as additional moves added and such in the sequels.
Ah. I generally play for the entire package, but if the Pokemon are interesting, the rest of the game just kind of follows along. The reason I didn't like Black/White is because the entire time, I was lugging around 6 Pokemon I didn't care for (didn't even find any I wanted to catch), and with all of the battles that occur in that game, it got insanely stale. It would be like if you had to take your cousin to the carnival, but none of the attractions looked interesting to you. Sure, you'll still love the atmosphere because it's a carnival, but that's all you get in the end. That's kind of how I felt when I played it, don't know for others.

Oh, and triple battles? REALLY hated that. What's next? Quad battle? 5 on 5s? Why not just throw all your Pokemon out at once, and whoever uses the attacks that completely destroys the other team first wins. One on one battles allowed you to fully strategize, and doubles wasn't bad either, but this felt a little ridiculous.

Tags
pokemon black and white