AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-06, 03:03   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, kind of curious to see what happens to Satoshi. This arc really has helped him take off though there have been hints at his feelings before hand. This time his retreat to that easygoing demeanor felt awkward after his outburst at Houtarou.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:10   Link #22
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Houtarou didn't really give the outburst a second thought after it happened as well. I almost wonder if they're using this arc to set up tension for the next arc, where everything will culminate with Houtarou's development with the other characters.

I'd prefer it if this happened, instead of everything being resolved in this arc.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:22   Link #23
Lota

I think we'll be seeing more outbursts from Satoshi. He's the most dangerous kind, the ones who keep their emotions bottled up and then suddenly BURST.
It's easy to understand why he's so annoyed with himself, though. I think the solution will be quite simple: either he will do something that will prove to himself that he's special, or someone will have to tell him: "YOU'RE SPECIAL". It's sort of similar to what happened to Oreki in the last arc: Irisu made him believe he's special and then CRUSHED him by saying he's not. Then Oreki was out of it for a while, but, as we saw in the special, all it took to get him back on his feet was for Chitanda to say that she finds him special. That's it. We're really that simple, huh... XD
Old 2012-08-06, 11:42   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Rather than his popularity, his speech about Chitanda drawing out Oreki's potential is telling to me. As a random guess, I'd say that he doesn't want to be left behind and wants to develop his "potential" as well, which is why he attempted to fill Oreki's role.

I don't really know. I really wonder where they're going with this. I don't know why he'd say something to the effect of, "We're counting on you," if those were the feelings that he has.
I think "We're counting on you" has just a bit of sarcasm to it.

I don't think Satoshi being a nice guy is an act - I think he genuinely is a nice guy. But he's the one character in the cast that's had a subtext attached to him since the beginning - for me at least, there's always been a darkness just underneath the surface and just a hint of resentment tied to his genuine affection for Oreki. His "shine brightly" speech way back near the beginning showed that Satoshi is a very self-aware person - what's changed now is that he's actively trying to break through the role (sidekick, genki boy, "database") that's always been assigned to him.

Problem is, it isn't working. He's been stymied at every turn, and while he's been pounding the pavement trying to figure out this case as usual Houtarou sits on his ass and the clues always seem to come to him. Satoshi's façade is starting to show cracks at last, and it's been building all along - it'll be very interesting to see how this shakes out.
Old 2012-08-06, 12:24   Link #25
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Satoshi's façade is starting to show cracks at last, and it's been building all along - it'll be very interesting to see how this shakes out.
Looks like it's going to be a major issue in the next arc based on the promo art posted in the image thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Spoiler:
Can't wait for it.

Tags
characters