AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-10, 15:39   Link #61
koffy
beggar

Hmm I've never been good at sports, I tried some kind but never did it too long..
Played foodball, basketball, floorball, swim, judo, box, jogging..ect. Currently doing nothing, or no sitting in front of the computer if its counts
koffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 20:51   Link #62
Eviltape

Tennis is hard, tiring, and burning, but fun. It's amazing how many people outside competitive tennis swing the tennis racquet incorrectly, but hey. Whatever floats their boat; I'll still be competent when they're tired out because of using force to swing the racquet. Use the momentum from the initial push.

No, I don't watch Prince of Tennis. I saw it on Cartoon Network one day and was amazed at how someone turned tennis into something with a plotline and managed to make a profit out of it. gg, Japan.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:15   Link #63
vorpal83

TKD and running while I was in the Army. Just Kungfu nowadays.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 21:37   Link #64
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
used to play soccer back when i was in the carrebean (<9) when i moved to US i piced up American football, mostly street but if I was to play oroganized footbal I would be a tight end or a linemen. I started doing martial arts with a friend but stopped, so I'm just a blob that watches anime now

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 22:02   Link #65
ZXValaRevan
Optomist

Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
I play badminton. It's a sport.
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 22:07   Link #66
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Several martial arts, and mainly soccer (or what the English call Football).
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 22:11   Link #67
Helsaga
~to hel with you~

Send a message via Yahoo to Helsaga
I'm not atlethic. But I want to try some martial arts.
Helsaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 22:57   Link #68
vorpal83

You're in the Philippines, good Kali instructors should be easy to find.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 00:41   Link #69
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Several martial arts, and mainly soccer (or what the English call Football).
not just the english the rest of the world
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 03:03   Link #70
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
not just the english the rest of the world
Korea/Japan use soccer.
Old 2008-03-11, 03:15   Link #71
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Korea/Japan use soccer.
ah sorry.. most of the world then
Old 2008-03-11, 03:17   Link #72
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
ah sorry.. most of the world then

*Evil laughter*

Anyway.... it's a fun sport.
Old 2008-03-11, 05:26   Link #73
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Just went trap shooting on the weekend - this kind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_shooting not the meme type. I'm contemplating whether to join the gun club or archery club. Before anyone says these are not sports they're part of the Olympic games so they are a sport. I like the trap shoot but I have to consider the PITA process of getting a gun license and additional expenses such as a safe if I was to purchase a shotgun. Archery is interesting because it's more concentration based but the trap shoot really appeals to me because it's a test of reflexes and accuracy. Whereas achery is more about accuracy.

Golf is another thing I've been playing more of recently I've dropped my handicap to 8 and my best placing was 4th in the local amateur competition. If I have time I'll probably play the matchplay competition coming up.

There's a reason why most athletes retire in their early-mid 30's (the age I'm approaching). Your body just can't take the pounding of impact/contact sports. I played rugby as a teen as an inside center through to my early 20's and my body just doesn't recover like it used to. Knees, shoulders, hips and the lower back just can't deal with the constant pounding.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 22:22   Link #74
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
Tennis is hard, tiring, and burning, but fun. It's amazing how many people outside competitive tennis swing the tennis racquet incorrectly, but hey. Whatever floats their boat; I'll still be competent when they're tired out because of using force to swing the racquet. Use the momentum from the initial push.
Trying tennis for the first time after being used to playing badminton is a very painful experience
Old 2008-03-11, 22:49   Link #75
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Trying tennis for the first time after being used to playing badminton is a very painful experience
after playing squash too.. qutie painful
Old 2008-03-12, 07:47   Link #76
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Golf is another thing I've been playing more of recently I've dropped my handicap to 8 and my best placing was 4th in the local amateur competition. If I have time I'll probably play the matchplay competition coming up.

There's a reason why most athletes retire in their early-mid 30's (the age I'm approaching).
Professional golfers actually have their peak years in their early-mid 30's. (See John Feinstein's excellent A Good Walk Spoiled for details.) That's what makes Tiger Woods so scarily phenomenal -- he's only now reaching those peak years.

An 8, huh? I'd just like to break 90 on a consistent basis, and I've played for a couple of decades now.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 18:56   Link #77
ZXValaRevan
Optomist

Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I agree. Snapping your wrist on an incoming tennis ball really hurts. The games can be worlds apart.
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 20:17   Link #78
navab
バースタド

Send a message via MSN to navab
Well I take MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), but I don't know if it's considered a sport. I also used to play for my high school basketball team, though I lost interest in the sport in the last year.
navab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 08:28   Link #79
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Professional golfers actually have their peak years in their early-mid 30's. (See John Feinstein's excellent A Good Walk Spoiled for details.) That's what makes Tiger Woods so scarily phenomenal -- he's only now reaching those peak years.

An 8, huh? I'd just like to break 90 on a consistent basis, and I've played for a couple of decades now.
TBH I have spent a lot of time at driving ranges. Only in the last 2 years or so have I regularly gone to courses. I remember starting out and absolutely fearing the driver. It was like the most uncontrollable useless thing in my kit. 3w, 5w long and short irons no probs, I'd probably say I enjoy hitting a good recovery shot than a good long drive. But sucking at the tee forced me to get pro help. Funnily enough I feel way more comfortable with my hand me down old clubs (woods and driver with actual wood heads) than the new set of stainless/titanium fairway woods and driver I bought 6 months ago. I just suck when I'm judging conditions and shot selection. I have a tendency to be too cautious and go safety first. My best scores have come playing with a friend of mine who plays off scratch and constantly urges me to take the risks. I do work down the road from a driving range and go at least once or twice a week and play a proper round twice a month.

My thoughts on Tiger is ok he's good but really how good is he - Phil Mickelson is probably the closest thing he has to a rival I just wonder how much better or worse he would be if he had some serious competition like a Larry Bird to Magic Johnson, as a physical specimen he is far more athletic than any of his peers.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 16:15   Link #80
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

If chess does count, then I'll give it the first honorable mentioning...

Otherwise, I can only play sports adequately if there's something that separate the players and something to hit back and forth, for example, ping pong, badminton, tennis. For others like soccer, basketball, American football, and basefall, I'm pretty horrible at those...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote