AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-04, 00:55   Link #1061
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Maybe they can change sizes?
I mean say Voltaire was much, much bigger then 15m but if you summon him into a place full of buildings maybe he'd shrink himself so he doesn't end up stamping the entire city into dust?

Or 7Arcs just couldn't make up their minds
Actually, I won't mind at all if Voltaire can change size. He's supposed to be a pretty exotic lifeform IIRC. Heck, if even Friedrich can change size and form, why not Voltaire.

Quote:
Nah, just a simple animation error. In that last screen, if they had left out the buildings further away and had just kept the buildings in the forefront, they'd have come out much smaller as they would have appeared much closer
Actually, even if you only kept the closet row of buildings, occultation limits mean that it is optically impossible for Voltaire and Hakutenoh to be shorter than the building.

I won't deny it may be a blooper, but it is pretty blatant, and since they've already put it into reality, we are basically forced to accept it. We can't even imagine what that scene looked like if they were only ~5-storeys tall.
Old 2009-02-04, 04:54   Link #1062
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

True, there is no reason to assume they can't grow. If anything, Fried proves it's very much possible. I think the best solution for you, Kha, is to just have them start out as 15 meters when summoned, and then decide whether you want them to grow in your fic (assuming that was the reason you asked).
Old 2009-02-04, 05:16   Link #1063
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

I have some demographics questions:

- do we know how many worlds the TSAB manage and how many peoples that represent ?
- do we got an idea of the population's percentage that are magically active ?
- any info on what percentage of the armed force are mage ?
Old 2009-02-04, 05:18   Link #1064
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nope, nope and nope. As far as I recall, we have never been given any accurate numbers or percentages on the numbers or percentages of any of those points.
Old 2009-02-04, 06:06   Link #1065
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
True, there is no reason to assume they can't grow. If anything, Fried proves it's very much possible. I think the best solution for you, Kha, is to just have them start out as 15 meters when summoned, and then decide whether you want them to grow in your fic (assuming that was the reason you asked).
I thought of something like that, but it really was meant to judge how tall Voltaire's usual opposition should be.

That said, I'm keeping the door open for Ritafication if he meets a hulk.
Old 2009-02-04, 11:02   Link #1066
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Actually, I won't mind at all if Voltaire can change size. He's supposed to be a pretty exotic lifeform IIRC. Heck, if even Friedrich can change size and form, why not Voltaire.
Isn't Voltiare described as being a god of dragons or something?
Old 2009-02-04, 12:56   Link #1067
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
He is as close to being a god of his own species as those in Mononoke Hime.
Old 2009-02-06, 01:57   Link #1068
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
He is as close to being a god of his own species as those in Mononoke Hime.
I'm not sure what that means Sheba.
Old 2009-02-07, 17:46   Link #1069
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nope, nope and nope. As far as I recall, we have never been given any accurate numbers or percentages on the numbers or percentages of any of those points.

Erf that sucks, ah well i'll have to make up my own numbers
Old 2009-02-08, 01:19   Link #1070
kagato3

wasn't it stated that mosted people were E rank natualy and could become D rank with a bit of hard work?
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2009-02-09, 12:45   Link #1071
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I'm not sure what that means Sheba.
Japanese don't have a really strict definition of "god" as ancient greeks, mesopotamians or judeo-chistians does. Just for the reminder, their term is "kami". But "kami" is not only used for gods as we know them (Susano-o or Amaterasu), but it is also used for things like springs, trees, or ancestors. I am pretty sure that Caro have called Voltaire a deity with the definition of "kami" in mind. That was what the big wolves and boars in Princess Mononoke are.
Old 2009-02-10, 01:19   Link #1072
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Japanese don't have a really strict definition of "god" as ancient greeks, mesopotamians or judeo-chistians does. Just for the reminder, their term is "kami". But "kami" is not only used for gods as we know them (Susano-o or Amaterasu), but it is also used for things like springs, trees, or ancestors. I am pretty sure that Caro have called Voltaire a deity with the definition of "kami" in mind. That was what the big wolves and boars in Princess Mononoke are.
Or in more laymen's terms anything very powerful and worthy of respect. Close to Greco-Romen versions of gods where they can range for all powerfull like Zues to house gods, although Greco-Romen gods are far more likely to be humanoid.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2009-02-10, 18:01   Link #1073
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Does anyone know if Protection and Defenser are barrier-type or shield-type defensive spells? I have a feeling it's the former (with Round Shield and its ilk saved for the shield version), but...I'm not sure.
Old 2009-02-10, 18:03   Link #1074
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Does anyone know if Protection and Defenser are barrier-type or shield-type defensive spells? I have a feeling it's the former (with Round Shield and its ilk saved for the shield version), but...I'm not sure.
You are correct. Protection and Defenser are barrier-type spells. Round Shield is a shield type.
Old 2009-02-10, 18:23   Link #1075
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
You are correct. Protection and Defenser are barrier-type spells. Round Shield is a shield type.
Thank you!
Old 2009-02-14, 07:40   Link #1076
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Question from me this time. Do we have any knowledge on Vice's little sister Laguna? Like her age? And whether her eye actually healed in the end?

Edit: Better yet, can anyone translate this? I can make out from this that she's 12 by the time of StrikerS, but not much more...

シリーズ初登場:第17話(名前の登場は第22話)
ヴァイスの妹。本編時点で12歳。6年前、とある事件に巻き込まれて犯人に人質にされ、動揺した兄ヴァイス に左目を誤射された少女。当時は6歳前後で、魔力弾自体は非殺傷のものだったが、「子供の眼球」という柔ら かく繊細な部位に直撃を受けた衝撃で失明を免れなかった。今でも左目に眼帯をしており、その下の傷はもう消 えているものの視力は回復していない模様。
誤射事故以来兄妹間の会話がぎくしゃくしているが、兄を恨むことはなく、兄とまた仲良く話せるように願って いる。
第22話でシグナム、アルトから話を聞き兄のお見舞いに来た。
第26話エピローグでは兄と共に同じ写真に写っており、どうやら和解できた模様。
名前の由来は、おそらくルノー(フランスの自動車メーカー)の「ラグナ」。

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-02-14 at 10:51.
Old 2009-02-14, 12:10   Link #1077
Liingo
Love Hina?

Brute force translation via the internet, then re worded slightly so that it makes more sense with help from rikaichan.

Spoiler for raw machine translation:

Series first appearance: The 17th episode (for appearance of the name, the 22nd episode) Younger sister of a vice. As of this chapter, 12 years old. 6 years earlier, she was involved in a hostage situation and was accidently shot in the left eye by her elder brother Vice. Although hit by a non-lethal magical bullet, she lost sight in her eye, as it was a direct hit on a very delicate part of the body. Even now, she wears an eyepatch as she has not recovered sight in her eye.

Conversation between Vice and Laguna has been awkward since the shooting, but Laguna doesn't bear a grudge againsnt Vice. She hopes that things can return to normal between them in the future.

22nd Ep, Heard from Signum and Alto that my brother has come to visit
26th Ep, Epilogue. Am seen together with Vice in a picture. It seems that we have reconciled.

The history of the name, "Ragna" of Renault (French automobile company).

-> So from what I can make out, no her eye has not healed (and is unlikely too). But it might be better to double check the translation with one of the more fluent speakers.

Liingo
Old 2009-02-15, 02:57   Link #1078
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Brute force translation via the internet, then re worded slightly so that it makes more sense with help from rikaichan.

Spoiler for raw machine translation:

Series first appearance: The 17th episode (for appearance of the name, the 22nd episode) Younger sister of a vice. As of this chapter, 12 years old. 6 years earlier, she was involved in a hostage situation and was accidently shot in the left eye by her elder brother Vice. Although hit by a non-lethal magical bullet, she lost sight in her eye, as it was a direct hit on a very delicate part of the body. Even now, she wears an eyepatch as she has not recovered sight in her eye.

Conversation between Vice and Laguna has been awkward since the shooting, but Laguna doesn't bear a grudge againsnt Vice. She hopes that things can return to normal between them in the future.

22nd Ep, Heard from Signum and Alto that my brother has come to visit
26th Ep, Epilogue. Am seen together with Vice in a picture. It seems that we have reconciled.

The history of the name, "Ragna" of Renault (French automobile company).

-> So from what I can make out, no her eye has not healed (and is unlikely too). But it might be better to double check the translation with one of the more fluent speakers.

Liingo
"22nd Ep, Heard from Signum and Alto that my brother has come to visit" should be more in line with she was asked by Signum and Alto to vist her brother as he had been hurt.

Intersesting, acording to the subs for ep 22 she claims her eye is fine now and that she no longer needs to wear the eye patch after removeing the patch in ep 22 she is never shown with it on again. Her eye looks completly normal but it is never stated that she has sight in it but given her claim of it being fine I belive she does.
Old 2009-02-15, 04:42   Link #1079
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, Laguna uses the word 'vanish' when describing her wound, rather then healed. While the two might mean the same, her wounded eye had a dull coloring compared to her right eye, which makes me doubt it has healed to the point of sight by the time of 22.

Since there is nothing in the description which describes it healed further, I think I'll stick to it not working.
Old 2009-02-15, 10:43   Link #1080
kagato3

I'm pretty sure the dullness is just the ligting. The description also says she is still wearing the eye patch which is clearly not the case. Also there realy are only 2 reasons to wear an eye patch, to cover up a missing or badly scared eye or to protect a damaged but still funcational eye. Her case is clearly the second as if it was completely nonfuncational there would be no comment about her recovering sight in her eye.
Closed Thread