AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-05, 04:11   Link #1
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Anime and the Internet

I’m looking for an anime where the Internet is the main plot driver or at least a significant constant factor to the plot. An example of an anime where the Internet is the main plot driver would be Summer Wars and an example of an anime where the Internet is a significant plot driver is Durarara!!. Unfortunately anime in which the Internet only serves as a minor plot point (Steins;Gate, Eden of the East, Welcome to the NHK, etc) are unacceptable so please don’t recommend them unless you feel you have a very good reason. Also, virtual worlds aren't okay if it's too insular and there's no general feeling that the characters are connected to the wider world.

Manga suggestions are fine so long as they’re not ongoing. I'm already aware of Summer Wars: King Kazuma vs Queen Ozu.

Please make sure to check my MAL. If there are any anime in my Plan to Watch list that you think fits what I’m looking for then please point it out to me. I'm already aware of Sword Art Online and Accel World.

Thanks.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-01-05 at 04:25.
Old 2012-01-05, 04:16   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It came out before the internet was popularized, but Serial Experiments Lain has a network that is essentially the world wide web that is integral to the plot and has explored a number of concepts that ring very true today about today's internet.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-05, 07:09   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hmm... I see Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (GITS: SAC) in your plan-to-watch list.

Isn’t the the main protag in GITS: SAC, Motoko Kusanagi always connected to the internet? Also, her whole division is in charge of cyber-crime. In addition, the big baddy of SAC, The Laughingman, is a hacker that hacks many systems through network. Still, I’m not saying that this is exactly what you’re looking for, but maybe it comes close.
Old 2012-01-05, 07:14   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shirow Masumune also made a show called Real Drive where people "dive" into the "metal" which looks to be a global communication medium. I found it quite variable, with some excellent episodes and some rather boring ones, but you should give it a look.
Old 2012-01-05, 07:19   Link #5
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hmm... I see Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (GITS: SAC) in your plan-to-watch list.
Was going to recommend this, but he's already going to watch it so there's really no point.

Might seem a little obvious, but .hack//Sign (or any of them) technically fits your requirements.
Old 2012-01-05, 08:29   Link #6
kitten320

Did you try Dennou Coil? The show was meant for kids but it has some really dark things happening in later half. Show is all about virtual world that became part of ours and about hacking. Here is a proper description.:

"Eleven years after the introduction of internet-connected, augmented reality eyeglasses and visors, Yūko Okonogi moves with her family to Daikoku City, the technological center of the emerging half-virtual world. Yūko joins her grandmother's "investigation agency" comprised of children equipped with virtual tools and powerful metatags. She quickly crosses paths with Yūko Amasawa, an expert hacker of the virtual environment, as Amasawa relentlessly seeks to "unlock" the mystery of a computer virus that emerges from an inaccessible corrupted space."

EDIT: Ah damn, you already saw it. Didn't check your list beforehand sorry.
Old 2012-01-05, 08:31   Link #7
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

OP posted his MAL, it has Dennou Coil listed.
Old 2012-01-05, 08:40   Link #8
kitten320

^You didn't read my post till the end, did you?
Old 2012-01-05, 08:41   Link #9
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

The edit wasn't there when I posted.
Old 2012-01-05, 08:45   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Was going to recommend this, but he's already going to watch it so there's really no point.
Well, he's the one who wanted to be pointed a title if it's from his plan-to-watch list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If there are any anime in my Plan to Watch list that you think fits what I’m looking for then please point it out to me.
Old 2012-01-05, 08:47   Link #11
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Good point, it's the perfect choice XD

There really aren't that many anime that have the internet as a central plot device.
Old 2012-01-05, 16:57   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I think I'll start with GITS: SAC (Lol, what an unfortunate abbreviation) since it's been on my radar for so long.

I should've clarified this before but basically what I was looking for was a strong degree of social networking. That's why I wasn't interested in insular virtual worlds. Dennou Coil is actually an example of that, imo.
Closed Thread