AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 02:45   Link #621
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Yep. Anime takes every small teen issue thing as serious business or has a lot of blushing involved if somethign is slightly out of the "innocent" category

Such as contrast from say, Western teen movies/dramas where the humour can be so juvenile at times (e.g. Hey, you see that chick over there. I'ma try and get laid by her etc. etc.)

Cant we get a healthy in between?
Not sure about in between, but as far as healthy (mentally anyway), if experience of high school were anything to go by, no.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 02:48   Link #622
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That's the thing, there's no way to know for sure so take it however you want
But then again, Himeko doesn't strike me as the joking type. She's too honest and blunt to even have that kind of mentality.
Old 2012-07-29, 02:55   Link #623
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
But then again, Himeko doesn't strike me as the joking type. She's too honest and blunt to even have that kind of mentality.
But don't forget, she's can also be quite teasing/trolling That's why it's harder to tell when it comes to her as oppose to 'pure' Taichi

Not that it matters to me, I've already decided to take it for the truth and no one here can convince me otherwise! NO ONE!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:07   Link #624
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well in a way you have to be thinking to ourselves why would some benevolent alien or whatever, Heartseed, pick these people as his source of amusement if they were not an interesting crowd? I think considering the abnormal situation it is not unreasonable to assume these are abnormal high school students. The fact that a couple of them already are keeping hidden traumas in them I think indicates a sense of accelerated "growing up" in a way. Not maturity mind you, that's not the same thing. Just more self-aware.

And that is what this show seems to be pushing so far at its core. These characters are going through a process where their very personas are out in the open for all to see and are being tested. Their issues that they buried cannot be hidden, and as they pass through each other's bodies they have to start wondering how can hold onto themselves as people through this dilemma. I think the fact that the characters are getting a bit philosophical and over analytical even about themselves and their current situation is actually pretty natural.

Iori's situation is particularly unsettling because she essentially said she's an empty person with no hopes or desires. She has nothing to live for ever since she was told to live for herself because she hasn't thought about living for herself for so long. She doesn't know what she wants, and her persona is even more fleeting under the duress of the body swapping.

Inaba was simply getting overly stressed about something that ended up seeming kind of trivial but really wasn't. She's a cynic and distrusts people, and to be in a situation where her dear friends are the people she feels she has to watch out for can eat away at her. The people she cares about in the world were her "enemies." Essentially she had no one to give her comfort and solace because being around or thinking about them made her feel bad inside. She feels she's being a bad person and because she seems to be hard on herself she's been very downcast.

I do really appreciate this show for being ambitious. I still haven't quite figured out the end goal of it, but it's definitely got my interest, even if there are slight execution issues to be found at times.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:08   Link #625
Thelastguardian

I think part of the reason why episode 4 seems weaker than before is because the director cut out some parts from Inaba's confession. I translated a sample of this chapter for my friends to showcase the difference. With those parts missing, the scene lacks both the logical flow (Taichi's action) and emotional impact (Inaba's confession).

Can I post them here? They are only a few sentences long.
Old 2012-07-29, 03:16   Link #626
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
I think part of the reason why episode 4 seems weaker than before is because the director cut out some parts from Inaba's confession. I translated a sample of this chapter for my friends to showcase the difference. With those parts missing, the scene lacks both the logical flow (Taichi's action) and emotional impact (Inaba's confession).

Can I post them here? They are only a few sentences long.
Just to be safe, you can post it on the LN thread and then link it here.
Old 2012-07-29, 03:56   Link #627
Zeross

Count me on the "this episode was good" side.

I don't see why people feel that there was too much dialog and not enough things shown. I mean, how do you "show" that you feel empty inside, that you are not sure what you want, and that you have a identity crisis ?
Inaban's secret could have been shown through action (like checking everything after a switch ect..) but that would have feel stetched and too long for so little, no ?

i'm all into subtle things too, but hey this anime is only listed for 13 eps right ? so i prefere a little of "too fast paced" that tell everything but less subtely, than a show that take their time at the begining, then end up rushing the last arc like crazy and don't tell important things.

Also, i don't understand how some people can wish at the same time they would'nt have shown iori and inaba's concern in the same ep but say also "why don't we see taichi and aoki problems yet ?". Hey isn't it quite oposite ? we can't say for sure that those guys don't have problems, and what taichi revealed this ep was not his problem for sure. It was just something to show inaba "hey i still trust you enough to confess that, see?". I'm sure we will see more of taichi problem in the last arc.

As for solving the girls problem too fast, i don't see wich problem got resolved ? we already talked length of how yui problem isn't solved at all (she just feel more at ease around taichi, and even then seem to force herself to make physical contact), iori's problem is nowhere near solved (and if preview isn't a troll its instead getting worse), and inaba don't see any hint at having solved her problem too. She's glad taichi trust her, she's happy her friends didn't turn their back to her, but she still don't trust them.

I've also seen people saying that it's strange for inaban to tell taichi that confession, but isin't it the same character that talked proudly about her and her friend's breast size just for the lulz?

What i'm personaly wondering, is why did taichi stop saying "i love you" to iori when he thought of inaban ? i'm thinking of different possibilities :
- he realy love iori but is too shy to say it (then the thought about inaban was useless)
- he was about to say that to iori just to help her but don't feel that way at all, and stoped because he thought that would be too much sacrifice even for the selfless freak (or because he want to try and change that)
- he's torn about wich girl he want to choose from his harem

anyway, i'm glad they continue to mix a little drama while breacking it with light hearted moment and comedie, and that they keep the fast pace.

Last edited by Zeross; 2012-07-29 at 07:11.
Zeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:04   Link #628
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Really liked episode 4. There's a lot of character development and we got to see into the life histories of some of the characters.

The next episode seems to be quite dramatic, can't wait.

Also...there's Light Novel Translations? O_o

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:07   Link #629
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Volume one is currently being translated. I don't know about the other 7 volumes though.
Old 2012-07-29, 04:09   Link #630
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post

What i'm personaly wondering, is why did taichi stop saying "i love you" to iori when he thought of inaban ? i'm thinking of different possibilities :
- he realy love iori but is too shy yo say it (then the thought about inaban was useless)
- he was about to say that to iori just to help her but don't feel that way at all, and stoped because he thought that would be too much sacrifice even for the selfless freak (or because he want to try and change that)
I don't think it's hinted that he has any feelings for Inaban yet.
My interpretation is that:

- He's not confident that he understands Iori as a person after her confession about wearing multiple masks / that if he can surely say that he love her
- He feels it's a very bad timing for a confession
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:10   Link #631
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
- he realy love iori but is too shy yo say it (then the thought about inaban was useless)
I think it's the second one - he was about to say it because he felt that the situation required him to say that, but thinking of Himiko's words made him realise that he shouldn't say such things for the sake of saying that. It probably made him aware of the fact that this was the perfect example of him doing more harm than good.

I'm not sure where his feelings sway though.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:21   Link #632
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Also...there's Light Novel Translations? O_o
Depends on which language you can read

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I think it's the second one - he was about to say it because he felt that the situation required him to say that, but thinking of Himiko's words made him realise that he shouldn't say such things for the sake of saying that. It probably made him aware of the fact that this was the perfect example of him doing more harm than good.

I'm not sure where his feelings sway though.
In a way, I think it's simply because saying something like that is a very big 'commitment' that he himself has not sort out his own feelings yet and isn't something to just throw it out there.
Old 2012-07-29, 06:07   Link #633
kazzuya13

Inaba only mentioned she masturbate thinking of Taichi but that doesn't mean she masturbate thinking of Aoki. It might be Taichi only who have enough space in Inabas' heart for her to extract pleasure into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmko View Post
What's the deal with all the curry.
Did everyone like curry or something

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-29 at 12:48. Reason: Please edit rather than double-posting
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 08:30   Link #634
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Thought it was going to be an comedy type anime but now it's starting to remind me of AnoHana by solving every member problem. Really enjoyed ep 4.

Best face ever when Inaba spilled her secret:

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon

Last edited by Kaihan; 2012-07-29 at 08:44. Reason: Added an freebie avatar
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 08:33   Link #635
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
Inaba only mentioned she masturbate thinking of Taichi but that doesn't mean she masturbate thinking of Aoki. It might be Taichi only who have enough space in Inabas' heart for her to extract pleasure into.
I support the Inaba x Taichi ship personally. Inaba is wrong. Taichi and Inaba shows much more chemistry than Taichi and Iori, whose conversations can often take a slightly surreal form.

It's interesting to note that Taichi solved Inaba's problems, but I suspect that his answer to Iori was a deliberately bad answer on the author's part, since he doesn't really have an answer to Iori's much harder issues.

Personally, I don't think that Inaba's cynical personality correlates with her trustworthiness. She's a very trust-worthy and reliable woman, even if she can't trust others easily. She's an awesome person, and a great friend to be with, even if winning her trust is very hard. I guess the fact that others trust her greatly, and yet, she can't reciprocate eats at her conscience. But I think her story arc would be learning at least, that some people can be placed in your confidence. Especially if you are placed into their confidence. It's an interesting character drama here.

Of course, there was a huge hole with her body swapping fears - that of retribution. Any sane person thinking things through would be more wary of mis-using his or her friend's body, since retribution is rather easy. Just look at Kiriyama!Aoki's response Aoki!Kiriyama's prank.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 08:56   Link #636
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It would be a big fat lie to say that you masturbate to only ONE girl, amirite ?
Only one real girl that I personally know at a time, yes. Would be pretty fricking weird to go for one particular girl while masturbating to her best friend along the way, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If masturbating to more than one woman makes you a player, then I'm Casanova.
Oh wow, you masturbated to more than one girl within your circle of friends within the same time period? I guess 'one-woman men' are a rare thing nowadays.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:01   Link #637
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Count me on the "this episode was good" side.
I don't see why people feel that there was too much dialog and not enough things shown. I mean, how do you "show" that you feel empty inside, that you are not sure what you want, and that you have a identity crisis ?
Imo, an actual backstory with Iori's POV would've probably done the trick. When I think of Iori's identity crisis, I can't help but think of a certain character's problem in Eureka Seven AO, which was shown a lot more than it was told. But I'm generally optimistic we'll be shown Iori's problems plenty in the next episode so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-07-29 at 09:35.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:15   Link #638
s07195
However,

I've been thinking that Taichi's white knight persona is what causes the others to trust him the most. Lots of hints that he's got something bugging him too. Like Inaba calling him a 'selfless freak' or him clenching his fist when he was asked whether he was born like that.

I dunno, I liked this episode. It felt a lot better than the previous 'solution' (if we can call it that). Scared of forcing yourself to change? Then don't! Haha

I don't think there's anything wrong with teenagers being philosophical. Perhaps that's just because I tend to get a bit philosophical too. Or maybe I haven't watched enough anime. Overall, I agree with Heartseed: these people are pretty interesting humans.

My reaction to the confession was and then and . I have the first LN in Chinese (I bought it a few weeks ago), but I'm forcing myself to only read up where the anime episode ended. Quite interesting comparing them both.

EDIT: @Haak Perhaps its because we're meant to see it in Taichi's POV? I mean, they may switch bodies, but that doesn't mean they know what the other people are thinking or have experienced (Heartseed hasn't given them that power yet lol).

I only think Aoki needs some fleshing.

Last edited by s07195; 2012-07-29 at 09:39.
s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:16   Link #639
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah I totally felt what you felt here.

I kind of wonder of some of the criticisms here are a bit of jumping the gun and not giving the series the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming things like the guys don't have any issues I think is folly, we're only 4 episodes in! I am pretty sure our guys are not as perfect as they seem, but I think at the very least it deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also a lot of people are presuming way too freaking much. Nothing about the girls recovering from their traumas was ever established. I am fully certain they haven't in fact and there's no indication that they truly have. Taichi didn't fix anything yet.

So yeah the story might have felt like the typical VN/harem setup where Taichi solves everybody's problems in checklist format, but who is to say he actually succeeded ? I think we should let the story develop a little more before saying anything like this.

I didn't like this episode as much as episode 3, but that was mostly because I felt the transition to each girl telling their story wasn't as smooth as it could be, slight execution issues there. I liked how they handled it last episode better.
Indeed, I thought it was pretty clear that Taichi was able to comfort, even move the different girls and help them a bit, but it takes more than a bandaid to heal those sorts of wounds. Especially considering how Iori's eyes went all BSOD when sharing her problems with Taichi. Depending on how things go, she really could end up really messed up; I like girls who seem all cheerful when they're not, but only with the hope that something may happen to allow them to actually achieve all the happiness they'd been faking.

Also, as for the guys, one thing I know is that many of us are quite reluctant to share our pains and traumas; if we even hint at it, we often do it so casually that it may slip past the unobservant. I wouldn't really expect the guys to be so fast to share their feelings and their pains.

I just hope this doesn't start to get dark or twisted, with stupid mistakes or random events taking these wounds and ripping them as wide as possible while denying any hope of healing. I like an author being a little sadistic to his characters to bring them out, or even going so far as to break them a bit, but plase always leave some real hope for them. If it goes the way of Bokurano, I'll be mad; if it goes the way of Madoka Magica (speaking on an emotional conflict level only of course), it'll be problematic and might end up like that one, with me dumping it until it's finished.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:18   Link #640
Arya

Well, I enjoyed this episode, nonetheless I felt like something was missing to enjoy it completely. Surely showing Iori and Inaba's problems in the same episode didn't help the drama department, because it felt like "who's next?" kind of execution, as already pointed out. To be really honest, even if Inaba is my favorite, I would have given more room to Iori's problem, being apparently more serious, instead of a canonical half-and-half. But, at least so far, it looks like they are developing more Inaba and Taichi, and I can't say I'm displeased by that

Talking about Iori/Taichi part, I don't know if it was meant by the writers, but I liked how forced the whole thing appeared. I mean Inaba forced Iori to spill the beans, Taichi, being Taichi, didn't back down. Now the real question is, did Iori spill the beans for the good or did she spill for her just declared attitude, i.e. to please Taichi's white knight? If it was the latter it could have had the opposite effect to her. I mean their dialogue would have been quite twisted from Iori pov. Probably the "real" Iori would have wanted to say to Taichi to make his own business, but she couldn't.
Going a bit further along this perspective, they seem to be complementary for bad and not for good, as Inaban thought. I mean, Iori pleased Taichi letting him helping her, but it's a facade so basically he was not helping her. On the other side Taichi was going to say what he was thinking out of no clear reason, and only thanks to Inaba he didn't. The result wouldn't have been one of the best in the long run I guess.
And, speaking of which, why didn't he say it out loud? Or better, why did he think that? His selfless freakness alone is not enough, so he clearly likes her (more than simply fapping over her ). So the more plausible case is that he knew that even if he likes her he is not in love with her (yet?), so he stopped because Inaba's words helped him to understand in that very moment that it would have been an error.

The Inaba/Taichi second half was a bit underwhelming for me, I was expecting something more heavier to be honest, so in the end the Taichi's confession worked for me, I mean, it was like "hello Inaba, what are we talking about here?". But said with a mixture of shame, stupidity, shallowness, shame, intimacy, embarrassment and ... I have already said shame? to work just fine for me.
Inaba confession was priceless and what they shared in those confessions will bond them to each other forevah, or him to her at least
But they should have add some "don't try this at home" warnings because the probability to have the same Inaba's feedback from a friend of your are really poor

My guess on the PV keeps being taichi's having a dream. hinting that taichi's armor is starting to crack, or I hope so. If it were real surely it would be a hell of an episode and surely Taichi would crumble in that case, but I can't see that happen.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life