AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-13, 14:14   Link #21
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
No one has ever mentionned Mardock Scramble : I haven't seen myself but for what I have seen in a anime-focused documentary, the animation is more than impressive and has excessively well-done fight scenes. Considering you have a bad memory of remembering everything, I highly recommend you to create a MyAnimeList account to list everything you have watched.
I'm one step ahead of you! I created an account on AniDB shortly after I found this site and saw links to there to keep track of everything I've watched recently and whenever I remember something I've seen in the past I add it add well. Is MyAnimeList better than AniDB in any way? I really enjoy how in-depth AniDB goes when categorizing anime, I've never messed with MyAnimeList though.
vashhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 14:30   Link #22
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Hah, none taken. It's been a few years when I watched it, but I had the blue ray (I think?) version of it so I'm pretty positive the animation was good. Not gonna push it further since there are a lot better animations than that, I just picked that one because it was the first to come to mind when thinking of blasters and good animation. I guess I thought it was good for a mecha anime of the time combined with some cgi.

If you liked the visuals of High School dxd, why don't you check out High School of the Dead? Pure fan service, but I thought the story/romance was pretty good in addition to the animation (then again, it kinda looks like their skin is all slippery like plastic lolz).

Oh yeah, you never really listed any specific genre, or are you just simply interested in good animation?

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 15:35   Link #23
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
If you liked the visuals of High School dxd, why don't you check out High School of the Dead? Pure fan service, but I thought the story/romance was pretty good in addition to the animation (then again, it kinda looks like their skin is all slippery like plastic lolz).

Oh yeah, you never really listed any specific genre, or are you just simply interested in good animation?
I didn't really care for the visuals or animation in Highschool DxD at all, but it did have a couple off nice scenes, especially the opening scene for the show. I don't mean the intro, but when the stores starts and Issei is bleeding to death. I tried to find a video of it, but no luck. This is the closest I could find, the scene starts at about 15 second in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8wHF8bOp68

And from what I remember, Highschool of the Dead looked nice, but as I said in another post, some of the fan service was too much for more. I hate it when they make characters look like they're all oiled up and shiny, like the newer Dragon Ball Z animations that have been coming out. Over half of their body is reflecting light! I'll see if I can find a link to show you what I mean.

I can't find the exact video I was thinking of, but this is close enough. It's from an OVA released last year where Bardock goes Super Saiyan, although I think the DBZ cast had been getting shinier and shinier since around 08/09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCAB4i1-8E

And to answer your question, I'm just curious about the better animated works out there, and about learning of good and popular studios and directors. If I had to pick though, to emphasize the personality of the characters I'd probably enjoy romantic/comedy with a good bit of drama and good character development or an action/drama that really pulls you into the story and gets you emotionally invested in the characters.

Like I said in my first post though, I don't want to be too specific and ask for too much, especially considering this is my first post here! I don't want to be rude after all. There's ample time to create or join in on as many threads as needed to sate my appetite for anime that appeals to my many tastes.

Last edited by vashhybrid; 2012-08-13 at 17:23. Reason: Link added
Old 2012-08-13, 18:22   Link #24
hero147

Have you seen Steins;Gate? I'm an animation hoar too and I thought it was excellent. Though I almost dropped it when it was airing because I thought the lighting looked odd from the first episode.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 18:39   Link #25
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Have you seen Steins;Gate? I'm an animation hoar too and I thought it was excellent. Though I almost dropped it when it was airing because I thought the lighting looked odd from the first episode.
I've heard of it and I keep hearing everyone say how good it is, the only thing that's stopped me from getting into it is that (at least for the moment) I'm more into light hearted shows, pretty much entirely focusing on comedy. Most of them lately have just been 12-13 episode anime series that I can pick up, enjoy the characters and humor, then move onto the next one. I think it's because mainly attention span is so short to be honest, the thought of having to take time and REALLY invest myself in the show, immerse myself within the fictional universe, over a long period of time makes me go "well, I COULD do that....or I could just watch something funny."

I do on plan watching it soon though! I've really been wanting to see some darker and more serious shows that actually have a good plot and isn't bogged down by politics or over complication/over simplification. I just need to fortify myself mentally!
Old 2012-08-13, 20:15   Link #26
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashhybrid View Post
Depending on how far it is into it, I might just wait for it to finish airing. I like watching entire series in one shot.
Won't be long now. Hyouka's 17th episode has already aired from the planned 24 episodes IIRC. You might want to give the first episode a try to see if you like the visual before deciding to watch the entire season. Eps 1 is pretty safe since you can watch it without feeling obligated to watch the next eps.
Old 2012-08-13, 20:34   Link #27
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Won't be long now. Hyouka's 17th episode has already aired from the planned 24 episodes IIRC.
Not even that long,it's only 21 episodes!

Since we're talking about kyoani and vashhybrid wants something lighthearted maybe nichinjou would do the trick?It's humour doesn't work for everyone but it has some nice animation.
Old 2012-08-14, 01:24   Link #28
hero147

Quote:
I've heard of it and I keep hearing everyone say how good it is, the only thing that's stopped me from getting into it is that (at least for the moment) I'm more into light hearted shows, pretty much entirely focusing on comedy. Most of them lately have just been 12-13 episode anime series that I can pick up, enjoy the characters and humor, then move onto the next one. I think it's because mainly attention span is so short to be honest, the thought of having to take time and REALLY invest myself in the show, immerse myself within the fictional universe, over a long period of time makes me go "well, I COULD do that....or I could just watch something funny."

I do on plan watching it soon though! I've really been wanting to see some darker and more serious shows that actually have a good plot and isn't bogged down by politics or over complication/over simplification. I just need to fortify myself mentally!
You should! It has a very lighthearted in the first half of the series with lots of comedic banter and sexual innuendos. Though somewhere in the middle of the series, the series does experience a dramatic tonal change.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 02:59   Link #29
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Finally thought of a more recent "good" animated series and it's Haganai, or more well known by it's alternative title Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. I would actually put it side by side Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko in terms of quality animation, maybe even slightly better (though the scenes of Erio when she becomes all shiny/gives that cute turn/look are probably the most beautiful scenes I've ever encountered in any anime; sounds kinda cheesy but I kinda like those scenes xD). Though, it's a high school romance/harem, but it's quite funny too. A bit different from the typical with a plot I liked.

Old 2012-08-14, 04:19   Link #30
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
You should! It has a very lighthearted in the first half of the series with lots of comedic banter and sexual innuendos. Though somewhere in the middle of the series, the series does experience a dramatic tonal change.
Really? Huh, I actually thought Steins;Gate was more of a drama than anything else. This requires more investigating! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 2012-08-14, 04:53   Link #31
vashhybrid

Quote:
Finally thought of a more recent "good" animated series and it's Haganai, or more well known by it's alternative title Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. I would actually put it side by side Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko in terms of quality animation, maybe even slightly better (though the scenes of Erio when she becomes all shiny/gives that cute turn/look are probably the most beautiful scenes I've ever encountered in any anime; sounds kinda cheesy but I kinda like those scenes xD). Though, it's a high school romance/harem, but it's quite funny too. A bit different from the typical with a plot I liked.
We were actually talking about that in a post on the first page. I loved that show and I can't wait for the second season to come out. It's interesting you compare it to Denpa because I'm watching that show and I actually started researching the two to see if they had any common history at all because the art style and character designs are so similar.

And I do agree with the comment about Erio. It feels odd for me to say this, but she is a darn cute character. Her speech patterns and mannerisms are just so adorable, it really gives her this air of innocence which makes it almost impossible not to smile and give a little "dawwww". I almost feel creepy talking about an animated character like this, but I can't help but feel they did a fantastic job with her character. It also helps that the studio that animated that series also animated Arakawa Under the Bridge and the Bakemonogatari series, both of which are all about the animation, comedic timing and word play (at least I think Arakawa under the Bridge is too, I've only seen one episode. Feel free to correct me!) Shaft has quite the pedigree.
Old 2012-08-14, 22:32   Link #32
vashhybrid

I have been pondering this for a while and finally decided to ask:

What do you guys think of me editing my first post to create a list of anime that the majority believes to be genuinely well animated? I could even include spoiler free clips that give a good example of the art style and animation of the show. I could also set it up so that they're grouped by primary genre and include a link to AniDB or a similar site so that those who are interested in learning more can do so quickly and easily.

I would like to give a little something back considering you all have taken the time to offer such wonderful suggestions. Although I would need a bit of help though, mainly people simply giving a yay or nay to previous suggestions (and perhaps a short reason for the bay of the majority vote yay) while also giving their own suggestions. Maybe a little help in finding links to videos since my ability to do thorough searches is hindered by the fact that I'm on a phone as well, but that's about it.

So, what say everyone? Yay or nay?
Old 2012-08-15, 00:26   Link #33
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Yeah, why not, except put down a list of ones you've watched that you thought were good enough to be mentioned as well as a list members have mentioned but that you did not approve of. To make it easier, just list down anime you watched and let the members do the rest (meaning they give suggestions as some of us have already been doing so).

Or, you can just simply re-edit your thread as just a list of quality animation in general, but by doing so you will get this yay/nay response. I personally think you should do the former. Your thread, your opinion

Old 2012-08-15, 01:22   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yep, why not? Don’t forget to include your own opinion of the animes that you posted (even if it’s only a word). This is a suggestion thread for you afterall, so your taste & your view of things are what matter the most .
Old 2012-08-16, 13:58   Link #35
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not even that long,it's only 21 episodes!

Since we're talking about kyoani and vashhybrid wants something lighthearted maybe nichinjou would do the trick?It's humour doesn't work for everyone but it has some nice animation.
I just started watching Nichijou, and I gotta say, it's pretty crazy....but in a good way! Some of the humor is hit or miss, but overall I really enjoy it. The animation is fantastic too! When I was researching it I came across this quote that describes it pretty well.

"slice-of-life comedy with a penchant for lunacy and a taste for huggable cuteness; a rare chance to see talented animators fully indulging their love of the art"

Quote:
Yeah, why not, except put down a list of ones you've watched that you thought were good enough to be mentioned as well as a list members have mentioned but that you did not approve of. To make it easier, just list down anime you watched and let the members do the rest (meaning they give suggestions as some of us have already been doing so).

Or, you can just simply re-edit your thread as just a list of quality animation in general, but by doing so you will get this yay/nay response. I personally think you should do the former. Your thread, your opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yep, why not? Don’t forget to include your own opinion of the animes that you posted (even if it’s only a word). This is a suggestion thread for you afterall, so your taste & your view of things are what matter the most .
Thanks! I'm still in a bit a novice in this area to be honest (I just recently started putting attention to animation and I'm still not sure of the best examples and what to look for), but I'll be sure to give my thoughts and impressions of the animation and style in each show!

And I've flipped through the pages in this forum before, and I don't recall seeing any threads asking about good animation, so I'd like to make an"official" superb animation thread so that those in the future that want to know the same thing can do so easily. You all have done so much to help me, but since I can't really help each of you, I thought three next best thing would be top help the community in general.

Last edited by vashhybrid; 2012-08-16 at 14:25.
Old 2012-08-16, 14:13   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
And I've flipped through the pages in this forum before, and I don't recall seeing any threads asking about good animation
I entered "animation quality" in this forum's search box and identified at least half-a-dozen relevant threads. I'd say that, on average, someone has asked this question at least a few times each year.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 14:28   Link #37
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I entered "animation quality" in this forum's search box and identified at least half-a-dozen relevant threads. I'd say that, on average, someone has asked this question at least a few times each year.
Really? I can't use the search function so I didn't know. But I've gone through the first ten pages or so and don't recall seeing any threads about animation quality, and they date back to 2009/2010.

Edit: I decided to go through the forums to see if you were right, and there are indeed others. It looks like you even posted links to other animation threads in that one, so you certainly know what you're talking about!

The first thread I found regarding animation was on page 21 (I remember seeing someone say in a thread before not to even bother posting in a thread that isn't on the first five pages because it's OLD), although this one talks more about studios than series or movies, which is actually nice because I was wondering about that!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110091

Last edited by vashhybrid; 2012-08-16 at 15:01.
Old 2012-08-16, 16:41   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not sure I understand how you cannot use the search function. Go to the top of this forum and enter a search string in the "Search this Forum" box. That's it!

Old threads can be a problem in the Suggestions forum, but mostly because someone decides to reply to a posting from 2008 without noticing that the thread is four years old. (This comes from someone who thinks we should lock threads in this forum after a year or two.)

Quality shows are quality shows no matter how old they are.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 18:05   Link #39
vashhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm not sure I understand how you cannot use the search function. Go to the top of this forum and enter a search string in the "Search this Forum" box. That's it!

Old threads can be a problem in the Suggestions forum, but mostly because someone decides to reply to a posting from 2008 without noticing that the thread is four years old. (This comes from someone who thinks we should lock threads in this forum after a year or two.)

Quality shows are quality shows no matter how old they are.
Unfortunately, my ability in the forums are limited due to the fact that, due to laptop mysteriously, I'm forced to use a smartphone for all off my internet needs. I click on search, the box opens, iclick in the text field and it closes again. So close, yet so far! I mentioned it in a couple of previous posts about why I would've limited for various reasons. This has been my computer for half a year now. Not fun!

And I used to think that older shows were automatically shitty, but my eyes have recently been opened. I think I just have trouble with older art styles, and that keeps me from enjoying some quality work. For example, I've heard really good things about a romantic comedy from the late 80's, something along the lines Maison Ikkoku I think...but every time I look at the character designs I cringe a little and lose all interest.
Old 2013-04-13, 13:08   Link #40
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Angel Beat !! - The animation quality is good in almost every episodes. The animation sequences of music band performing on stage (the music is not a major theme for this anime, major theme is action) are exceptional. The background music is excellent and place the first in animesuki choice in that year. The production is Aniplex and impress me much on the studio.

Guilty Crown A total of 49 studio companies are involved in 2nd key animation and major production are Aniplex and Production I.G that produced Serei no Moribito. As expected from GAINAX and Production I.G , mecha and fighting sequences are flawless. The background music match the velocity of the story.

All in all, those are the two shows from Aniplex regarding the quality animation that I can file under this thread for future reference. A good day.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God

Last edited by Tougarashi; 2013-04-13 at 13:35.
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animation, quality