AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 09:21   Link #681
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

It's Ritsu! Damn, this is going to take some getting used to, since I still associate that tone as Ritsu's joke voice. Doesn't help that the art is K-on style.

Also, only realised that it's Kyoani after checking. No wonder it's all so polished.

This should be good. *Straps in*
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 09:23   Link #682
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I don't see it happening of course given how they pretty much play super safe and go for sale guarantees. That and the whole Kadokawa politic bullcrap which I still don't understand, though I do think it's pathetic how Kyoani can't even negotiate properly with them considering how much money Kyoani made for them.
Considering KyoAni is listed as one of the sponsors of the show (even getting a CM in the timeslots), I feel it's safe to say that someone wanted to work on this project (best guess would be Takemoto). KyoAni is in a somewhat different position than most of the other studios in that they tend to be on the production committee more often than not which helps in earning more revenue via alternative methods than just from the animation budget. I would say that it's not so much that Kadokawa forced them to animate Hyouka as there was a good amount of staff that chose specifically to animate this series.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 09:26   Link #683
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I would say that it's not so much that Kadokawa forced them to animate Hyouka as there was a good amount of staff that chose specifically to animate this series.
You saying that now makes me more curious. I mean, there ought to be a reason for the staff to choose this work as their project.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 09:27   Link #684
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I guess Kyoani is just REALLY good at making medicority watchable
Yeah,and to me that's a real compliment because it takes a lot of talent to do that,it's just that that talent feels wasted.

Basicly I've got this equation of "Shining Heart + Kyoani = Hyouka" , at least through one epsode.

And yes I know it's only the first episode,I'm the first to hope I'll enjoy the next episodes for more reasons than just the visuals.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:42   Link #685
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The things I see KyoAni praised for the most from reasonable people is their level of animation as well as faithfulness to their source materials. Absolute rubbish that these are mundane things that other studios are expected to do. Not one animation studio has come close to the level of top and consistent animation Kyoto Animation has outputted in the last 7 or so years. Who else has adapted multiple properties with the level of care that KyoAni does? What are these mundane things you mention?
Why yes, I know the reputation is from the fluid animation and faithful adaptation; that should have really gone without saying for the longest time. But that assumes everyone is reasonable. What I don't see is that every one of their works somehow gets labeled as "genius" or most infamously, I don't understand the "attention to detail" one that gets tossed around. (Endless Eight being a big example-- had anybody else done that they would have been crucified) There's a difference between consistently delivering solid work and being exalted to what our dear friend Kaioshin claims to be by the myth of if their inherent superiority. They aren't and weren't the golden goose. Though I guess I should run to Shaft for the golden eggs.

Still, regardless of my bad wording and what not, Kyoani threads generally some of are the least critical here, and across the internet, though sometimes you have the odd person with a vendetta and of course the hipsters that makes it look a lot worse but such as the life of something popular.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-25 at 09:53.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 09:49   Link #686
Random Wanderer

Wow, lots of talky. I'm just here to say that Chitanda's eyes look awesome, and I love the scenes where her hair grows leaves and stuff and spreads all over the place.

That is all. You may return to your discussions of stuff that doesn't really matter.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 09:51   Link #687
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Right, so while I wasn't exactly all that wowed by the episode outside of the audiovisual aspect (more since the animation and direction was top notch I felt, and there wasn't much story to get a proper feel for the plot) I feel like the thread at this point has derailed into a KyoAni/top of the season/compression/comment on fanbases/etc. rather about the actual first episode itself ... and while I don't mind seeing variety in topics, to be perfectly honest, I think we should try and limit the discussion on Hyo-Ka itself rather than go on these different tangents ...

On the actual episode itself, so far I am still unsure about what to make of Houtaro. I do agree that the first impression I got from him is that he's ''boring'' due to his energy saving-mode being always stuck on the ''active'' dial, and I while I normally love Nakamura Yuuichi, I do think that he's more fit for far more ''heroic'' roles than one that seems to be this laid back. I will say that I thought he still done a great job regardless, but I can see why some might not like him in here.

My opinion on Eru is tied to what I said previously about how he she cast a spell on Houtaro i.e. her eyes are truly captivating, but more than that I do think she has a lot of nice chemistry from their initial meeting (though more from her reactions to his non-reaction to her ). I wan to call her energetic from what I have seen of her, but at the same time I don't think she's so much energetic so much as forceful, even if that is a bit too strong to describe her. Satou Satomi done a competent job as the voice behind Eru, though I haven't found anything praise worthy as of yet.

Returning to the animation side, I do find it funny how S_B joked about how the finale was going to be about purging Eru from the world () even if I had a better impression on the ''magical'' meeting between the two leads. I do find it curious how this seems to be more of a trend in mystery anime nowadays (Another, Un-Go, Gosick, Dantalian no Shoka etc., even Bake- with Araragi catching Senjougahara while she is falling from the sky) where the first initial meeting between would usually conclude with the male lead being touched on a ''spiritual'' level, if you go by what the symbolism implies. I wonder if this is something more related to this being anime and all there has to be a significant point where the character leaps into this new world and this event has to be shown as being on an ''earth shattering'' level, or if this is more of a homage to older mystery animes.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:28   Link #688
Random Wanderer

I'd like to ask a question about the actual anime, if that's all right with everyone.

Yes? No? Well, whatever.

What exactly is this "classics club" they've joined supposed to do? Is there some meaning to the word in Japanese that isn't making it across the language barrier? Or is it deliberately a club with an ill-defined purpose?
Old 2012-04-25, 10:33   Link #689
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
~~ My opinion on Eru is tied to what I said previously about how he she cast a spell on Houtaro i.e. her eyes are truly captivating, but more than that I do think she has a lot of nice chemistry from their initial meeting (though more from her reactions to his non-reaction to her ). I wan to call her energetic from what I have seen of her, but at the same time I don't think she's so much energetic so much as forceful, even if that is a bit too strong to describe her. Satou Satomi done a competent job as the voice behind Eru, though I haven't found anything praise worthy as of yet. ~~
I believe the word is compelling.

Cheers.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:38   Link #690
Random Wanderer

I like this shot of her eyes more.

Old 2012-04-25, 10:40   Link #691
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
You know that scene right before the OP played (was also in the trailer) where the MC walks into the main girl staring out the window. That was some -QUALITY- CGI there too.
I have nothing to say regarding the "QUALITY" part, but they did drew everything. Or so the staff blog says.

/
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 10:43   Link #692
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post

Spoiler for Tidiness:
I specifically chose that scene because it was where she "mind-controlled" Houtarou into giving her the submission slip.

Cheers.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:43   Link #693
Upscaled

Quote:
I'd like to ask a question about the actual anime, if that's all right with everyone.

Yes? No? Well, whatever.

What exactly is this "classics club" they've joined supposed to do? Is there some meaning to the word in Japanese that isn't making it across the language barrier? Or is it deliberately a club with an ill-defined purpose?
I'm not 100% sure but I assume that "kotenbu" (classics club) is a club for the study of classic literature, specifically old Japanese and Chinese ones.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 10:51   Link #694
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I believe the word is compelling.

Cheers.
Code Eru: School of mysteries

I do wonder if Eru is actually aware if her violate eyes have this effect on others or if this was just part of her attitude and the eyes just compounded the effect into brainwashing territories lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
I have nothing to say regarding the "QUALITY" part, but they did drew everything. Or so the staff blog says.

-snip-
I don't think there was a part that struck me as QUALITY during the scene at all, hand drawn or otherwise to start with ...

Though that is still pretty amazing and makes me appreciate the visual aspect even more now.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:51   Link #695
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
In a weird way she reminds me me of inga from un-go who could hypnotise people with her purple eyes lol

Tat reminds me that un-go is definatly an exemple of a show getting better with each episode,so here's hoping the same will happen with hyouka
Old 2012-04-25, 10:57   Link #696
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
In a weird way she reminds me me of inga from un-go who could hypnotise people with her purple eyes lol

Tat reminds me that un-go is definatly an exemple of a show getting better with each episode,so here's hoping the same will happen with hyouka
Inga was Yui. Now Eru is Ritsu. Now I'm picturing Inga & Eru pretending to be sumo wrestlers.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 10:57   Link #697
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
I see the character but not the detailed backrounds
Old 2012-04-25, 11:00   Link #698
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I specifically chose that scene because it was where she "mind-controlled" Houtarou into giving her the submission slip.

Cheers.
I don't know about mind control, but hair grow followed by flowers blooming from it were quite facinating. Her eyes seemed to yearn for all the mysteries in the world. I'm looking forward to see what else she has to offer to make this show more interesting.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:00   Link #699
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
dat pic, i think maybe Eru has double geass powers
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:04   Link #700
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I see the character but not the detailed backrounds
Nowadays for most anime background art are usually drawn separately from character art. Then they are put together and colored in the computer. I don't know whether Kyoani CGI-ed the backgrounds for this sequence or not.

---------------------
And regarding Eru:

Mugi's personality + Ritsu's seiyuu + Mio's hair + Yui's Face = Chitanda Eru
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life