AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-27, 19:53   Link #121
Same_Shark

The first season's designs had this gritty look to it. That's the only way I can describe it. Just gritty. The new designs look too happy.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 06:32   Link #122
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
The first season's designs had this gritty look to it. That's the only way I can describe it. Just gritty. The new designs look too happy.
I like the idea of the designs looking "too happy" for such a sad story,it accentuates the disconfort you feel: there's already the unlikely pairing of little girls with guns which could make you feel uneasy and now on top of it there's the unlikely pairing of a happy design with a very sad story that would just make that feeling stronger (well,at least that's the case for me).
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 10:01   Link #123
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I like the idea of the designs looking "too happy" for such a sad story,it accentuates the disconfort you feel: there's already the unlikely pairing of little girls with guns which could make you feel uneasy and now on top of it there's the unlikely pairing of a happy design with a very sad story that would just make that feeling stronger (well,at least that's the case for me).
I dunno. It seems that it works the other way around for most fans based on the other replies so far.

IMO, the irony lies in what they are, the situation that they are in, and their appearance is supposed to reinforce this. That is, childhood is meant to be a time of carefree happiness and one of the basic premises of the series is to deny them that right by thrusting them into the world of tragedy and violence. Happiness is no longer a right but a privilege; no longer their default state but something that the girls and the handlers must strive for given their unfortunate circumstances.

True, Gunslinger Girl is a series that's meant to disturb its audience but this subtle disquiet is one which is not meant to shock but to trouble our conscience and leave a heavy feeling in the chest. Unlike Elfen Lied or MPD Psycho wherein the initial reaction is "That's not right.", GsG induces the viewers/readers to ask "Is this right... ?". The author's intent is not to draw a line separating black from white and throw them to the other side but to blur the line and confuse people with the gray areas. It doesn't rely on wanton destruction or explicit images of violence but moral uncertainty caused by sacrifices, justification, and choosing the least evil among the options. Giving them a "happier by default" design would actually deaden the confusion since it would imply that a) they're oblivious or apathetic to the tragedy of their own circumstances, or b) the Agency made the right choice.

Bottomline:
1) GsG relies on conscience rather than graphic images to disturb the audience
2) Yes, I think it's fine to show them happy but it should be mixed with a healthy dose of bitterness for maximum dramatic effect (refer to the last episode of season 1).

[EDIT]:
Incidentally, the image for the character designs is no longer available (well, it's not showing up on my browser anymore anyway).

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-12-28 at 10:36.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:19   Link #124
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
The author's intent is not to draw a line separating black from white and throw them to the other side but to blur the line and confuse people with the gray areas.
Definatly agree with that statement,that might very well be my favorite part of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Giving them a "happier by default" design would actually deaden the confusion since it would imply that a) they're oblivious or apathetic to the tragedy of their own circumstances
But aren't they to some extent?

The best exemple would be rico,what really made episode 3 so tragic to me was not only Rico's actions but also what she said at the end "I like my life here very much".

Henrietta never really thinks about the situation she's in,all she really want is the attention of her handler
Angelica's and Elsa's sadness mainly comes from lack of attention from their handlers

Claes and especialy Triela are the exceptions to me.
Old 2007-12-28, 14:05   Link #125
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Initially I was solidly of totoum's view, that Triela is the only cyborg who does much questioning of her circumstances- Rico can't question, Henrietta already has her answer, and while Claes perhaps has the most nuanced view of their condition she too seems to have decided she is happy with what she has been given, even without the strong emotional bond to a handler. And Elsa, too, had her answer.

But while I was writing my response I started to see G. Zeus' point... it seems a bit pointless to question the cyborgs' condition as an audience when they already have their answers. You can ask yourself whether they should be happy and whether what was done to them and what they do as a result can be called 'right', but it's a much more interesting question when they aren't sure themselves.

So on the issue of the character designs, I lean towards totoum's view- happy faces express a lot of what the characters currently feel. But with respect to Zeus', here's hoping our favorite cyborgs won't just be painting their portraits in the future, but join us in questioning their feelings and world.
Old 2007-12-28, 16:24   Link #126
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But aren't they to some extent?

The best exemple would be rico,what really made episode 3 so tragic to me was not only Rico's actions but also what she said at the end "I like my life here very much".

Henrietta never really thinks about the situation she's in,all she really want is the attention of her handler
Angelica's and Elsa's sadness mainly comes from lack of attention from their handlers.
Touché. Still, I doubt it if perma-smileys would be a good thing since some key scenes could lose their impact if there was no contrast.
Spoiler for the final moments of volume 5:

Besides, even if the girls are numbed and/or blinded by the conditioning, the handlers, on the other hand, have no excuse since they are fully aware of the situation. And the most happy-go-lucky among them happens to be dead already.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2007-12-28, 20:06   Link #127
Deathbringer_37

Quote:
Touché. Still, I doubt it if perma-smileys would be a good thing since some key scenes could lose their impact if there was no contrast.
You gotta see that this was only a presentation of the new art that this series will use, the fact that they´re smiling here as little influence on the most serious/sad part of the plot.

Spoiler for the final moments of volume 5:

Last edited by Deathbringer_37; 2007-12-28 at 22:36.
Deathbringer_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 22:23   Link #128
dfens

I always took the end of volume 5 is that Hillshire was so relieved that Triella survived fighting Pinocchio. She wanted her him praise her for winning that all her hard work paid off. She was wounded, neally loses a eye and was almost killed for a second time.

Yes he was glad she won but more importantly she was alright and with him still, that's why he broke down and hugged her.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 22:43   Link #129
Same_Shark

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are Petrushka & Beatrice in the new season?
Old 2007-12-28, 23:04   Link #130
Dark Wing

Quote:
I don't think so as you can see form the characters listed they are not in this part of the story. This is because (If I remember correctly?) they don't show up until after Triella's arc.

Also if I may add the two of them take up about 2 volumes by themselves. Which I believe was unfair to the fans of the other girls seeing how they had basically been sifted.
Old 2007-12-28, 23:23   Link #131
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I don't think so as you can see form the characters listed they are not in this part of the story. This is because (If I remember correctly?) they don't show up until after Triella's arc.

Also if I may add the two of them take up about 2 volumes by themselves. Which I believe was unfair to the fans of the other girls seeing how they had basically been sifted.
Oh cuz I think I see her on the first character page. Not sure.
Old 2007-12-28, 23:52   Link #132
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
You can ask yourself whether they should be happy and whether what was done to them and what they do as a result can be called 'right', but it's a much more interesting question when they aren't sure themselves.
Good point,maybe that's why Triela seems like such a popular character

Quote:
beatrice is in (though I doubt she'll have much of a role)petra is out,but for some reason sandro is in (according to ANN)
Old 2007-12-28, 23:53   Link #133
Deathbringer_37

Quote:
Which I believe was unfair to the fans of the other girls seeing how they had basically been sifted.
Yeah, that was kinda strange...not that the new characters are not interesting but she completely disregarded the fan favorites for almost 2 volumes. At least she´s turning her attention the the whole group again, the latest chapter is about Triela/Hilshire.
Old 2007-12-29, 08:50   Link #134
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=puT55b0Gkpg

Total of 14 Ep + 1 OVA according to this PV from C73.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2007-12-29 at 09:04.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 11:24   Link #135
Deathbringer_37

Was that japanese song heard in the background part of the trailer?

Because it felt extremely out of place.
Old 2007-12-29, 16:09   Link #136
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbringer_37 View Post

Aye.

Just to refresh my memory, I just visited the website of the first animated series and compared it with the new stuff (the video and the images at the new site). As a rule, I try to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointments but the first series was delivered so well, I can't help but worry about the second season.

Quote:
You gotta see that this was only a presentation of the new art that this series will use, the fact that they´re smiling here as little influence on the most serious/sad part of the plot.
Yeah, I'm probably being paranoid. Still, what I've seen so far has been giving me shoujo impressions...
*shudders*

[EDIT]:
Notice that Angelica appears only in the ad for the manga and she's is nowhere to be seen in the trailer for the new anime. I guess it's possible that they'll actually keep her dead, maybe dragging her out for flashbacks only. Her death in the first series was dramatic enough, perhaps even Yu Aida wanted to let her rest in peace.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-12-29 at 16:29.
Old 2007-12-29, 16:43   Link #137
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
[EDIT]:
Notice that Angelica appears only in the ad for the manga and she's is nowhere to be seen in the trailer for the new anime. I guess it's possible that they'll actually keep her dead, maybe dragging her out for flashbacks only. Her death in the first series was dramatic enough, perhaps even Yu Aida wanted to let her rest in peace.
yeah,that's interesting,she's appeared in the concept art and there's even a voice actress for her.That was the basis of her being alive,the trailer does put that back in question.
Old 2007-12-29, 16:46   Link #138
ZODDGUTS

Quote:

Yeah that was the very thing I thought when I saw the trailer hope it isn't used for either the OP or ED.... or anypoint during the series.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 17:41   Link #139
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Total of 14 Ep + 1 OVA according to this PV from C73.
Hobby Channel's report indicates 13 episodes + 2 on DVD for 15 total.
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 16:36   Link #140
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hey, did anyone check out the first episode?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, loli, seinen