AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2013-08-18, 09:30   Link #141
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Hanekawa's MOTHER died because of a fear of Stigma.
She killed herself because she felt guilty for marrying a man just so that he would give economical support to her child. She had an idealistic side. I don't remember if this was mentioned in the anime of Neko Black, though.
Quote:
What code word would you want me to use instead?
Something that at least comes from the DSM or the ICD, please.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 11:19   Link #142
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
She killed herself because she felt guilty for marrying a man just so that he would give economical support to her child. She had an idealistic side. I don't remember if this was mentioned in the anime of Neko Black, though.
Something that at least comes from the DSM or the ICD, please.
So killing herself and leaving the man to take care of her child is better?

And don't tell me to look things up. You want me to censor what I am allowed to say, you tell me what to call a mental illness.

I am actually horrified that there are people who still want serious medical conditions to be considered taboos and hidden behind code words. Like it is more important to pretend everything is fine. You know, like Hanekawa does.

What do you call "mental illness"? What kind of shady synonym do you use, to pretend metal illness does not exist?
Old 2013-08-18, 11:56   Link #143
Haiprbim
Banned

There is so much focus on Tsubasa... I find her, to put it simply, not interesting as a story character.
I would simply love it if the anime adaptation could focus either on Shinobu or Hitagi for some time now, since they appear was more "awesome".
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 12:24   Link #144
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And don't tell me to look things up. You want me to censor what I am allowed to say, you tell me what to call a mental illness.
This isn't about "censorship" (other people suggesting that you're objectively using a word wrong isn't "censorship")... You're making an unqualified medical diagnosis, and rather than justifying it with facts and evidence that tie to accepted diagnosis criteria, are just asserting that not agreeing with you makes people "part of the problem". So basically it's "I'm right because I said so and I can't believe you'd disagree with me." How did you think this was going to go well?

Please just let the issue drop.
Old 2013-08-19, 00:20   Link #145
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
There is so much focus on Tsubasa... I find her, to put it simply, not interesting as a story character.
I would simply love it if the anime adaptation could focus either on Shinobu or Hitagi for some time now, since they appear was more "awesome".
Don't know what you mean, since Hanekawa had pretty good conversational quips, especially this season, and a good backstory, so she seeks pretty interesting to me. Hitagi is interesting too, but her quips seem to be a gimmicky at some points, like she is just programmed to include snark a few times each conversation, thus the reception goes well with people who like that. I'd say it was good that was toned down somewhat in these recent eps.

So, since you took the time to post in a discussion thread about a character you care little about, would you elaborate?
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 03:13   Link #146
Haiprbim
Banned

I don't think there is much to elaborate other than I find her plain boring.
Like it was said in the series itself, she is purely white. She doesn't hate on things, she only does what she thinks she has to.

Personally, looking at the creations Shaft gives us, I find Hiragi and Shinobu more energetic, and therefore bring more reasons to laugh, or feel like something is happening.
Although Tsubasa has a nice story set and the background is interesting as well, it doesn't really help in presentation of her actions. All the a-bit-interesting actions done are by her oddities, which are no more.

Don't get me wrong, she is an important character, but I would prefer the animated story to focus more on Hitagi and Shinobu, and leave Tsubasa as the main side-wing or something like that.
Old 2013-08-19, 10:56   Link #147
Altima of the Gates
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
I was mostly teasing you because your opinion was heavily biased, and because I disagreed with your points.

The thing was, the abnormality of her being pure white doesn't stop her from being interesting, we get to explore the eccentric nature of it. Plus, she was the one who did give Araragi good advice throughout the show, just like the other girls he interacted with. Tsubasa's advice however, had a dual nature to it where you could see signs of the abnormality, which made her interesting.

So it's fine if you want the show to focus on some of your more favored characters, but to be quite honest, its not like they haven't given time for them as well, seeing as Hitagi had pretty insightful exposure even in Hanakawa's arcs (except for Nekomonogatari: Kuro) that also served to highlight her relationship with Araragi and other characters. Essentially, this series operates as an ensemble cast, but yes, Shinobu could use a little more love, which she will get, if we look to the current arcs.
Old 2013-08-19, 13:50   Link #148
Haiprbim
Banned

Looks like you didn't quite understand.
I never said that she shouldn't be given her time. She should, and she has been given.
You cannot revert the time, so I wasn't complaining one bit about that. I was only expressing myself that I think right now, she was given enough time, and that in the future, it should be more Shinobu (currently, I hope) and Hitagi.
Old 2013-08-19, 15:40   Link #149
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I don't think there is much to elaborate other than I find her plain boring.
Like it was said in the series itself, she is purely white. She doesn't hate on things, she only does what she thinks she has to.
In fact, Hanekawa doesn't do only what she thinks she has to, and this is what's interesting about her. Her reputation as an upstanding and virtuous individual is not totally undeserved, but behind the facade she has still a human side. While at a glance she sort of follow the three laws of robotics, she actually has feelings. For example the reason why she insisted so much that Araragi didn't get close to other girls once he got a girlfriend was because if Araragi were her boyfriend she wouldn't have liked that.
Quote:
Personally, looking at the creations Shaft gives us,
Though the creator is technically Nisio, but you are right in that you are seeing Shaft's version, which can be subtly different from the original.
Quote:
I find Hiragi and Shinobu more energetic, and therefore bring more reasons to laugh, or feel like something is happening.
I agree that Hitagi and Shinobu are overall more funny than Tsubasa. Then again, a character that mostly make people laugh tend to be relegated to the side lines exactly for that reason. You need some human drama at the core of your story.
Quote:
All the a-bit-interesting actions done are by her oddities, which are no more.
The part about the Hindering Cat is a bit confusing, but the way I see it it all comes down to if Hanekawa is awake or not. If she is awake, she can take over the cat any moment. At the start of Tsubasa Cat Oshino made her swoon. Later, when Araragi met the cat, the first thing he does is asking her to say a tonguetwister, which in retrospect could have been a way to detect if it was really the cat or Hanekawa. I am not sure at what point Hanekawa jumped in, but it was certainly before the cat tried to kill Araragi.

In Neko Black the cat you see is actually Hanekawa. She nearly killed Araragi, and she was unsuspectable exactly because of the personality you think she has.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 10:54   Link #150
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Let's return to discussing the character of Hanekawa Tsubasa herself and stop trying to psychoanalyze her personality (take that to PM or VM).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 11:14   Link #151
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Let's return to discussing the character of Hanekawa Tsubasa herself and stop trying to psychoanalyze her personality (take that to PM or VM).
Isn't that part of talking about her character?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 17:31   Link #152
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Isn't that part of talking about her character?
Within reason, it is. But some of the recent discussion is taking it too far due to presumption and arrogance. People can offer their opinions, but please keep it civil.
Old 2013-08-26, 19:58   Link #153
Altima of the Gates
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Within reason, it is. But some of the recent discussion is taking it too far due to presumption and arrogance. People can offer their opinions, but please keep it civil.
To be honest, there wasn't much in the way of non civil talk going on, but a difference if opinion, and its pretty much impossible to talk about her character without some deep psychoanalysis that some of those posts did contain. But I will respect your decision.
Old 2014-02-13, 08:06   Link #154
Altima of the Gates
*Graphic Designer

To open this dialogue back up since Koimonogatari finished awhile ago, what plans do you guys think Hanekawa has been making behind the scenes? Her conversation with Kaiki brought to the forefront many things going on in the background, and the fact she had decided rather coincidentally to take that overseas trip sometime before Otori.

Personally, I feel she has several plans laid out as well as just her taking time off, but ai wanted to hear what other people thought of her disappearance and sudden reappearance(and then just as sudden disappearance again).

Apologies for the double post as well.

Tags
characters