Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2007-02-13, 13:25   Link #41
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Also, I don’t think you have to be the best translator in the universe, to notice the difference between a sentence that implies He is stronger than me, and He isn’t stronger than me.

As in Fact:
Spoiler:

At this point in the game denying that Itachi is stronger than Orochimaru, is just denying a fact. Now you can debate about the pause between Orochimaru saying Itachi is stronger than Him, and when he say He left Akatsuki, as to debate that Itachi wasn’t the reason for Oro left Akatsuki.
You misunderstood me, and seems to have forgotten where I stand in this matter. Mainly, I was referring to the validity of that equation in the past, not in the current time. Cause, even though it is still *Oro's guess* of him, we have to accept it as it is, until the time they meet and fight against each other.

For the translation, you have to understand it really well, not just the sentence, the context, the punctuation, the initial and following words, in other words, you have to pay attention to any single part of it, to fully understand it. And, even if you have all that analyzing ability, there can still be sentences, for which it is possible to have different meanings.

Spoiler for manga:
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 17:30   Link #42
Rurik
Golden

Sorry for the long one, But I think this is not a Debate brewing..but I needed to expose my idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
You misunderstood me, and seems to have forgotten where I stand in this matter. Mainly, I was referring to the validity of that equation in the past, not in the current time. Cause, even though it is still *Oro's guess* of him, we have to accept it as it is, until the time they meet and fight against each other.

For the translation, you have to understand it really well, not just the sentence, the context, the punctuation, the initial and following words, in other words, you have to pay attention to any single part of it, to fully understand it. And, even if you have all that analyzing ability, there can still be sentences, for which it is possible to have different meanings.
Well then, is that case, You have to understand how the corrections are made, the corrections are not just to change the words to fit better or a sentence for that matter; a correction about the sentence sometimes are followed by NJT comments on the correction taking consideration basically not only the Chapter he is doing, but also the entire series as well.

Because people will ask if there is a possibility a corrected sentence (or sometimes one that doesn't need correction) can refer to something else, but, NJT analysis come with a explanation of what the Whole idea means, and what doesn't means, iinput from other well known Translator, and even if he feels conffussed he uses his wife as support to analyze it better.

Now, is not hard to analyze this one, because you just need to follow the entire context of the conversation which was about what happened including what it was said before the sentence, "Because He is stronger than Me", in other word understand it really well, as you said.

ORochimaru was talking about Killing Sarutobi and Tagging Sasuke , as loosing his arms (all of them happened in the past), whereas this wouldn't had happened if Itachi would had been with them (something he tried also in the past). The idea here is that They couldn't get a Hold of Itachi (As he tried to do it in the past) because Itachi is stronger than Oro, thuis failing to achieve HIs Dream of Getting Itachi.

He then Gives a glimpse on why he knows or thinks Itachi is stronger than Him, it because in one point in time the were partners in the same organization, as he was forced to quit this organization, given What he said earlier.

The punctuation here plays a little role in this one as The 3 chunks of sentences are separated by Pauses using consecutive points (sorry, I really dont know what is the name of this in english), and this is done always in Naruto even when two IDeas are related to one another; what I'm saying is that the punctuation that separated "HE is stronger than me" with "Thats Why I left the Organization", are not meant to be use to get the idea this 2 sentences are not related, rather it was a Pause made to denote or Either Orochimarus Physical condition, or to give an edge of suspense to the Introduction of Akatsuki.

Im not about to start a Debate about semantics and the proper use of the word "IS", but I can give you a sentence like this:

"Japan is the best Baseball country, Thats why they won the Baseball Olimpics."

I will understand this sentence as Japan been the best baseball team from the moment they won the Olimpics to present time.

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
My main point here is not weather a Sentence can be invalidated, changed or cleared up in the future, because it has happen before. the point here is more about what that sentence refers to us now with what we have now. and that one poster said Oro never mentioned "thats why I left the organization" in that chapter.

On a personal note, I think this particular one will be left as it is.