AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-03, 11:58   Link #441
klare

i like how they introduce the story without much dragging, their pilot suits look nice too

now i hope the BETAs that will appear fully next eps will not look too bad (imagine Noise in Symphogear...), but i predict they will regret for attacking Japan
Old 2012-07-03, 12:02   Link #442
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
now i hope the BETAs that will appear fully next eps will not look too bad (imagine Noise in Symphogear...), but i predict they will regret for attacking Japan
I have no prior knowledge of the series, but I suspect it wil be more on the lines of "Resistance is futile, you will be anihilated".
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 13:37   Link #443
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Thought of the day: Humanity is fucked, and these bodysuits are awesome. The shine really gives a nice accent.

On the animation quality... I'm not seeing the below average quality that was mentioned here. It's no Fate/Zero, sure, but everything goes rather smoothly.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 15:58   Link #444
maximilianjenus
[E]

dudes, just a friendly reminder that there is people who are not familiar with muvluv at all, so pelase let's not turn this into an urobuchi topic.

and unlike other vn series this one has tits and mechas so it might bring people who don't care aobut muvluv.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 18:54   Link #445
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Just wanted to point out this little known series, on how to make an end of the world plot without all the grim dark

Stellvia of the Universe
Oh I frigging loved Stellvia of the Universe. Ironically, it's the second ED that describes why I love the grim dark approach. The lyrics tells of a very hopeless situation, but people will still persevere and even sacrifice themselves for the one they love.

Spoiler for save space for the English translation of the lyrics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think Symphogear is that close to being "desperate in the very first episode".
Last I checked the human race wasn't near extinction in the first episode of Symphogear.

Quote:
Regardless, I don't know what makes "humanity fighting against extinction" as a plot so exciting to some.
Can't speak for others, but I for one like serious and grim "humanity vs extinction" stories because of what got me in anime in the first place, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

Not so much the TV series (which was much more light hearted), but Do You Remember Love is still etched in my memory, since I was only a child when I first saw it. And when....
Spoiler for it's a spoiler as old as Darth Vader being Luke's father:
Quote:
Especially when you entitled to watch people die before your very eyes.
I can understand how a lot of people can get squeamish about character deaths. Me however, Higurashi pretty much desensitized me from violent deaths (if I wasn't already beforehand from games like Doom or Mortal Kombat)

Quote:
It's like watching a hanging at the town square during the Middle Ages in a sense.
Nah, completely different. It's more like watching a horror movie, where you have a group of people trying to survive something that is out of this world, except this time it's on a GRAND scale.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 19:08   Link #446
Candyshark

So if atmoshpere of the series is so grim hopefully no beach, onsen episodes. If mains gonna behave like 15 years old during romantic moments it is gonna spoil my enjoyment.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 19:10   Link #447
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Meh. NGE has similar issues (especially with Asuka's latest iteration of her plug suit), so it doesn't bother me here.
True, but the Plug Suits weren't as in your face about it (at least in old EVA). That said, it's nothing I can't get used to, I dealt with Mokoto's (Ghost In the Shell: SAC) rather exposed clothing despite it not matching her character or the setting.

I'm liking this series regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Just wanted to point out this little known series, on how to make an end of the world plot without all the grim dark

Stellvia of the Universe
You just reminded me that I really need to watch that.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 19:50   Link #448
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Watched the first episode without prior knowledge of Muv-Luv.

The good: absolutely lovely body suits

The bad: Bland and uninspiring background. Aliens attack the earth for the n-th time, and the creators don't even try to come up with a reason, the aliens attack just because they're bored or something. We don't get to see the aliens either (not that it would make things better). In short, it's just an poor excuse to have mecha fights. Not that there would be much point in the mecha fights, seeing how they're displayed as having no chance against the aliens.

The ugly: Despair eveywhere. Already the first episode is dripping with despair. It seems this series is meant for psychopaths who enjoy seeing everyone die while fighting hopeless battles, and who get off on "mankind close to extinction"-schemes. Sick.

Overall: Except for the suits, quite a disappointment. Perhaps I'll watch some more just for the suits, but as I'm not one who gets off at seeing people die, it might be better if I don't.
Old 2012-07-03, 20:12   Link #449
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post

The bad: Bland and uninspiring background. Aliens attack the earth for the n-th time, and the creators don't even try to come up with a reason, the aliens attack just because they're bored or something. We don't get to see the aliens either (not that it would make things better). In short, it's just an poor excuse to have mecha fights. Not that there would be much point in the mecha fights, seeing how they're displayed as having no chance against the aliens.

The ugly: Despair eveywhere. Already the first episode is dripping with despair. It seems this series is meant for psychopaths who enjoy seeing everyone die while fighting hopeless battles, and who get off on "mankind close to extinction"-schemes. Sick.

Overall: Except for the suits, quite a disappointment. Perhaps I'll watch some more just for the suits, but as I'm not one who gets off at seeing people die, it might be better if I don't.
What's with people calling others enjoying this kind of stories and atmosphere sick people and psychopaths? Do you guys even realize that we find something endearing about people fighting to see another day no matter impossible the odds are? So it is manly entertainment to watch 300 Spartans fight their last stand, but such thing happens to well-drawn bishoujos it becomes, "OGM u guys are completely fucked in the head! You and the writers are COMPLETE MONSTERS!!"

Oh, Btw there is nothing sexual about finding a kind of entertainment in here, we are not /b/
Old 2012-07-03, 20:22   Link #450
Elestia

Well the thread turned awkward real fast within the first episode. Some people really need their heads examined before making assumptions about other people's reasons for enjoying the series.
Old 2012-07-03, 20:39   Link #451
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Aliens attack the earth for the n-th time,
Can't argue with that. Then again, the number of anime with aliens attacking aren't really off the scale compared to high school rom-com which is why I fail to see your dislike over this one just because it's been done before.

Quote:
and the creators don't even try to come up with a reason, the aliens attack just because they're bored or something. We don't get to see the aliens either (not that it would make things better).
Considering its only episode 1, how can you conclude that the BETA attacked mankind for no other reason than just being bored?

Quote:
In short, it's just an poor excuse to have mecha fights. Not that there would be much point in the mecha fights, seeing how they're displayed as having no chance against the aliens.
I know right? They should total use nukes. I bet the laser class can't shoot them down before it even reaches them. :3

Quote:
Despair everywhere. Already the first episode is dripping with despair. It seems this series is meant for psychopaths who enjoy seeing everyone die while fighting hopeless battles, and who get off on "mankind close to extinction"-schemes. Sick.

It seems you greatly misunderstood why some of us like this kind of series. You really think it's because we enjoy seeing everyone die? Really...

I can't speak for others, but let me explain some of the reasons why I find it enjoyable.

When the world faces extinction, the series shows how far others will go for their survival. The good and bad side of humanity when pushed into a corner. Conflicting ideals and values in life when facing danger. National pride and interests against the entire world's well-being. Seeing the characters work hard to achieve something that was considered to be impossible and hopeless. Watching the character laugh and appreciate what they have in life even in a depressing world like this one. Seeing them overcome numerous challenges and survive, and not give up regardless of how much despair the war-torn world throws at them. Unbreakable comradeship that develops over time.

Last but not least, its a WAR and a series where ANYONE can die in the battlefield whether they are protagonists or not. Oh, not to mention, the characters have to at least complete basic training for them to be even allowed to board the machines unless necessary. No genius pilot around that can use the TSFs the first time they board it, and win because they're the main character.

Quote:
Oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
What's with people calling others enjoying this kind of stories and atmosphere sick people and psychopaths? Do you guys even realize that we find something endearing about people fighting to see another day no matter impossible the odds are? So it is manly entertainment to watch 300 Spartans fight their last stand, but such thing happens to well-drawn bishoujos it becomes, "OGM u guys are completely fucked in the head! You and the writers are COMPLETE MONSTERS!!"

Oh, Btw there is nothing sexual about finding a kind of entertainment in here, we are not /b/

Apparently, it seems we are in their point of view. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Well the thread turned awkward real fast within the first episode. Some people really need their heads examined before making assumptions about other people's reasons for enjoying the series.
I know, right? lol

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-07-03 at 21:00.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:07   Link #452
lansglenn

It was a troll post.

Let the haters drop the show, so we can enjoy a good anime for what it is.
lansglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:12   Link #453
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
You do realize it's just a show right? I don't see how finding intrigue in last ditch stands and despairing atmospheres makes one a psychopath when we're talking about a TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
This is neither and understatement nor an overstatement, it's pretty much just spot on.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:23   Link #454
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

First thing first, I watched this without prior knowledge to the franchise, nor do I consider it absolutely necessary. I've said this in other threads before, but an anime adaptation must stand by it's own merits, and one that requires viewers to be familiar with the source material to be enjoyable fails as an anime adaptation.

Now, onto the story. The first episode is, unfortunately, below my expectations, probably because of all the hype making it high in the first place. Scene changes are odd ("aliens have invaded Earth, and we are at peril dun dun dun" ---> skip to picnic scene), the characters are - wait for it - highschool teenagers again, the visuals are substandard from what I expect of a 2012 production, the CG mechs doesn't blend well with the background, and the ending rapes my ears. Also, pacing is too slow from what's supposed to be a one season story.

Not to mention they give the mechs to inexperienced, albeit trained, teenagers, while the regular army operates shitty tanks. WTF anime, when will you learn to reserve high-end equipments to the veterans? Oh wait, the girl has general daddy. Just your average anime military nepotism then. Joy.

Also, it suffers from telling instead of showing. Oh look, the navy is going to hold the line! Ooops, sorry, their defeat happened offscreen. Oh no, someone's boyfriend died! Wait, who are you again, how close are you to him, and why should I emotionally sympathize when you couple never even been seen together?

All in all, not the best first impression. Honestly, I dropped this if not for the promises of war, something this season sorely lacks. But unless this anime shapes up soon, it will just be yet another forgettable series with some action scenes and gratuitous sexy poses.

PS: Am I the only one who find the naval invasion scene similar to Evangelion? I swear, I half-expected them to drop an N2 mine.
Old 2012-07-03, 21:57   Link #455
Miraluka
Banned

Lol. People are really trying to argue with, really... Lets just cut it out and keep talking about the series, there are some times where people can't get into an understanding, this just happens to be one of these times.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:57   Link #456
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

So, in short. This is a scatily clad series with a cruddy story. Mmmm scantily...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:00   Link #457
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Also, pacing is too slow from what's supposed to be a one season story.
Someone please give me evidence that Total Eclipse is 1-cour. Since there are four novels, and two episodes are being used for an anime-original prologue, 2 cours sounds more practical to me, but I'm willing to accept evidence.

Quote:
while the regular army operates shitty tanks.
There really is no excuse for how lousy the tanks are in Muv-Luv considering the tech used on TSFs.

Quote:
Also, it suffers from telling instead of showing.
Probably the biggest problem I ever had with the Muv-Luv VNs. Not surprising to see it crop up here too.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:25   Link #458
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Someone please give me evidence that Total Eclipse is 1-cour. Since there are four novels, and two episodes are being used for an anime-original prologue, 2 cours sounds more practical to me, but I'm willing to accept evidence.
At this point, they have not announced the Blu-Rays/DVDs, which are typically your best clue as to a show's length if it's not formally announced beforehand. But the fact that this is being produced by a new company, ixtl, that is basically an offshoot of âge itself, supports the theory that they probably won't jump into a two-cour production right off the bat, even with Satelight's help. In addition, summer is one of the less-common times to launch two-cour shows, which would usually come in either Spring or Fall.

So I'm not aware of any firm proof. But, I think that one-cour is a safe assumption given the combination of factors at play.
Old 2012-07-03, 22:40   Link #459
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan
Except for the suits, quite a disappointment. Perhaps I'll watch some more just for the suits, but as I'm not one who gets off at seeing people die, it might be better if I don't.
Better go for the doujinshi, Shimapan. There's a handful of good ones out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba

300 is different because it is set in ancient history where these kinds of bloody fights are mainplace. The closest thing we have to things like this Starship Troopers, and it doesn't involve skimpy bodysuits like these. (Unfortunately.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia
Hey, it's personal preference. I don't think it's fair to treat them like some person with a mental condition.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:42   Link #460
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
First thing first, I watched this without prior knowledge to the franchise, nor do I consider it absolutely necessary. I've said this in other threads before, but an anime adaptation must stand by it's own merits, and one that requires viewers to be familiar with the source material to be enjoyable fails as an anime adaptation.
I really can't argue with that at all. I really enjoyed the Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works movie, but had I not already had plenty of knowledge to fill in the gaps between fight scenes I'd have been lost, and that clamps down on the potential audience.

Presumably, the point of animating Total Eclipse is, among other things, to bring new paying customers to the franchise. From what I understand in this thread, it's reasonably self-contained, and therefore can be done in one series without having the watcher come in with a bunch of Muv-Luv franchise knowledge. If the show suddenly starts demanding people like me, who've never played the VNs, know things about what's going on in order to enjoy it...then it's not doing its job. So far, I don't feel lost or out of place, but it's one of the things that is going to determine the quality of the show for me going forward.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen