Eggplant

Saw episode 1.
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 19:54   Link #22
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Higher resolution (2705x3491, 2.1 MB and 2676x3474, 1.7 MB respectively) at moe.imouto.org:
http://moe.imouto.org/data/moe_imout...4209527069.jpg
http://moe.imouto.org/data/moe_imout...4137667449.jpg

PNG format scan (7.9 MB, same resolution):
http://moe.imouto.org/data/moe_imout...0613479057.png

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-01-11 at 20:12. Reason: Added scan.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 20:46   Link #23
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Total agreement with eggplant and hi no ken Jebus. The first episode was full of sweetness. The characters are lovely, and the look is another version of ShaftxShinbou, with the nice coloration and wonderful angles and framing. The look of the Hidamari Apartments is really artistic. I have the feeling that the art-school setting is going to give them plenty of scope for interesting frames. No huge story, just sweet slice of life. A really gentle, pleasant mood.

Like eggplant, I was particularly struck by the voice of the newcomer, Asumi Kana, who plays Yuno, the one with crossed ribbons in her hair around whom the first episode revolves. She has done some radio and games over the past couple of years, but not much anime. Here is her official site, with a photo. Here is her blog, with more. And here is her page on ANN.

But I loved the voice of Matsuki Miyu as the teacher, who was hilarious. And with Mizuhashi Kaori as Miyako (blonde), Gotou Yuuko as Hiro (reddish), and Shintani Ryouko as Sae (taller, with black hair), it's a really interesting cast.

The dialogue is voluminous and seems important to the show, and I couldn't catch all of it, so I'll have to see the subs to get a fuller impression. And I'll certainly look for the 16:9 version, which appears to come out exactly two weeks after the initial broadcast, on BS-i. Is that right, eggplant?

I enjoyed the OP, sung by the cast, and especially liked the OP animation, which had the wonderful pacing of the OP in Negima (as well as some running, lol). But I personally really liked the ED song, by a group called marble. Left me happy.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-01-12 at 05:36.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 22:05   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

After reading Eggplant and Kaoru, I'm burning with anticipation. Waited a long time for this. The RAW is downloading, but it's not dling fast enough for my taste. Let the madness begin!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 04:26   Link #25
Woland
Latin Rascal

Watched the first half and I'm totally in love with it.

As I was expecting it's something is similar to an "Azumanga Daioh meet PaniPoni Dash" (with an improved talking "animated" chalkboard XD) both in style and story, that is a really good thing, judging by the outcome.

When is supposed to air the BS-i version? (Edit: never mind I've read Kaoru Chuju reply ^^ After the experience of Asatte no Hoko (where seems something is missing watching Pan&Scan version) I hope fansubbers (there's any interested in this series?) will pick the wide screen version for the sub.

P.S.: Love&Piece

Last edited by Woland; 2007-01-12 at 11:19. Reason: added link
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 17:52   Link #26
Pantsgoblin
ANN Encyclopedia Editor

Send a message via MSN to Pantsgoblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
I hope fansubbers (there's any interested in this series?) will pick the wide screen version for the sub.
Ya, we plan on doing it...

http://www.angel-tai.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132

This is our first project and for a lot of us, we haven't worked on anything before. So don't go too hard on us if it takes a while longer than most subs...

I'd have to ask Kilga about the wide screen though, he's in charge...
Pantsgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 17:59   Link #27
NeoSam

I forgot to mention this :P volume 2 of the seinen manga Hidamari Sketch has been released. I added its cover to the first post of this thread.
Old 2007-01-12, 20:01   Link #28
froinlaven
Wanchu!

Hidamari Sketch seems like a more subdued and slice of lifey Pani Poni Dash to me. The first ep was kinda boring, but it was pretty good to chill out to. The cosplay teacher's pretty fun.

Full impressions here.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 01:19   Link #29
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I know I shouldn't try to compare anime, but I really have to agree that this feels like Pani Poni Dash meets Azumanga Daioh, in a good way. Oh, and very cute characters.

Not an exciting episode so far, but it has its moments of smiles. Currently the series this season that I'm looking forward the most to.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 03:07   Link #30
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
After the experience of Asatte no Hoko (where seems something is missing watching Pan&Scan version) I hope fansubbers (there's any interested in this series?) will pick the wide screen version for the sub.
If we happen to find wide screen raws I'll have no problem using them.

But then again, I'm not timing, so it won't affect me greatly if there are chronological discrepancies between them and whatever it is we're using now. ;\

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I know I shouldn't try to compare anime, but I really have to agree that this feels like Pani Poni Dash meets Azumanga Daioh, in a good way.
The first fan description I read of this show was on /a/, and it was "Azumanga Dash", so don't feel too bad about it. Besides, I also got that feel from it.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 12:06   Link #31
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

ahahahaa~

Episode 1 summary and screenshots

This is a pretty decent show and I have been looking forward to this when the winter season started. This is probably the 2nd series after saint october that i will blog so if anything, hope you enjoy the summary.

Cheers...And i do agree that it is very azumanga daioh in the 4koma feeling.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 03:27   Link #32
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I'm finding myself wanting to rewatch this over and over. I suppose it's because of the character art: it's just so moe~

I like the part near the very beginning when Yuno just wakes up, with the blanket wrapped around herself, stares blankly into space for a moment, and then shivers. Yeah, Yuno, I know how you feel. Some mornings I just don't want to get out of the warm bed...
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 19:21   Link #33
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Awesome first episode! The pace is relaxing barring the background music. The background animation is very simplistic and pleasing to the eye. Hence, I think it is safe to assume Shinbo won't have similar problem with consistentcy in the course of the series, unlike the most of his other work. Btw, is he putting in real life object and blending them with the animation? The clock in the following for an example:

The above is either an incredible work of CG, or a real life object. I'm looking forward to episode 2.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 08:09   Link #34
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Awesome first episode! The pace is relaxing barring the background music. The background animation is very simplistic and pleasing to the eye. Hence, I think it is safe to assume Shinbo won't have similar problem with consistentcy in the course of the series, unlike the most of his other work. Btw, is he putting in real life object and blending them with the animation? The clock in the following for an example:

The above is either an incredible work of CG, or a real life object. I'm looking forward to episode 2.
That Shinbo/SHAFT's owned trademark. Real object blended into the animations.

The ED animations use lots of circles and a soft theme, which I found to be so refreshing from normal SHAFT productions. What we needed is this show to be out with a wide 16:9 version.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 16:31   Link #35
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The official site and Shoboi Calendar say the show starts on BS-i on Thursday, 25 January, exactly two weeks after it started on ordinary TV. That will probably be the 16:9 version. So the widescreen version of ep1 should be broadcast on Thursday of next week, at 12:30 at night.

In her blog, Gotou Yuuko says that she was very happy to get the role of Hiro, that she plays her like a big sister or a mother, and she likes that kind of character. She says that all the seiyuus get along very well, that the studio is a happy place, almost like the Hidamari apartment itself, and she expects that the friendly feeling in the studio probably comes through in the show.

That item is in Gotou-san's old blog, which is just now overlapping with a new blog using software that allows her to put in little videos. She says she has a lot of trouble with digital technology and that most explanations are too hard for her. She says she needs explanations suitable for small children, or maybe gorillas.

Don't take from this that she is stupid. She writes well, draws well, and is one of the seiyuus that actually went to university (for a while).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-01-18, 15:46   Link #36
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 19:09   Link #37
eggplant
Eggplant

Saw episode 2.
Spoiler for Episode 2:

As Kaoru posted above, the BS-i widescreen version will start airing from next Thursday. Here are some comparative shots from the previews (Left: TBS full screen; Right: BS-i widescreen)

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 22:07   Link #38
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep2. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait for a fansub (in some language) to help me get the jokes. But the look is so great, and the character design and animation simple but brilliant. For something so slow-paced, there is so much going on that, as hi no ken Jebus said, it's maybe a little fast-paced. And more real objects ahoy.

In order to keep them straight in my mind, I made a chart with pictures of the characters and their seiyuus. And the seiyuu-san are doing a nice job. Gotou Yuuko's "motherly" is a bit of an impression of Inoue Kikuko, it seems to me. And it's great.

This appears to be Asumi Kana's first real role (Yuno; she was in the choir in Canvas2), and she's doing wonderfully well. I guess talent is recognized: she will play the heroine in Bokurano later this year.

Thanks for the screencaps, eggplant. What a huge difference the wider format makes, especially in the second cap. They definitely made it to be seen wide. What we're seeing now is just crudely hacked down -- and it's still great.

With Asatte no Houkou, the wide-screen version came out two weeks later and never did show up in bittorrent form, even in subs. Fortunately, Negima's wide versions come out only two days later, so the subs use them. Not sure how this show will fare.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-01-19 at 22:20.
Old 2007-01-20, 00:58   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I really would like to see the fansubbers be more patient and grab the widescreens ... One of the early Negima!? endings showed blatantly why when an entire character was "offscreen". Reminded me of old movies scoped down for Saturday tv movies when two characters facing off were *both* offscreen and all you could see were their pistols
Old 2007-01-20, 06:32   Link #40
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
When i rewatched the 1st episode today, i realized the crossword puzzle at 21:45.
It's actually solvable.

Only the question 5-8 are visible fully in the 4:3 version:

(5) 耳と尻尾と燃えと泣き - Ears and tails and moe and weeping
(6) 萌え4コマ漫画のメルクマール - Moe 4-panel manga characteristic
(7) 女の???がらない???萌えもの - ??????
(8) 3姉妹+メイドのロードムービーアニメ - Road movie anime of 3 sisters and their maid

Spoiler for Answers:
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, shaft, slice of life