Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-28, 06:31   Link #1
kco143

Looking for certain kind of couples/friendships

Hello,

I'm looking for anime where the male deeply cares for the female, whether it be in a romantic, friendship, father/daughter, or brother/sister sort of way (please no incest.)

Examples of what I mean would be:
Spice and Wolf (Holo & Lawrence)
RomeoxJuliet
Moribito (Balsa & Tonda)
Scrapped Princess (Pacifica & Shannon)
Gunslinger Girl (Henrietta and Jose)
CardCaptor Sakura (Sakura and brother)
Daughter of Twenty Faces

My only nit-picky request is that you only suggest anime that has a fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, or historical fiction setting. In other words, please don't suggest anime in a modern day setting unless it has a genre twist of the above mentioned. For some reason I just can't stay interested in shows based on real life.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by kco143; 2011-11-28 at 11:08.
Old 2011-11-28, 07:20   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kco143 View Post
(please no incest.)
Why you don't want incest ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2011-11-28, 07:40   Link #3
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Historical setting: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée (19th century France)
Sci-fi: Steins:Gate
Modern setting but with a twist: Ano Hana

I'll also throw in phantom:requiem for the phantom because you have gunslinger girl in there,no cyborgs but there's "brainwashing" going on.
Old 2011-11-28, 07:54   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Your aversions to contemporary shows makes this a difficult request, otherwise I would have told you to watch Cross Game, Usagi Drop and Kurenai right away. I also heartily endorse totoum's suggestion of Ikoku Meiro no Croisée.

I have two other suggestions for you. One is Saiunkoku Monogatari, a story set in a fantasy Asian empire. The heroine wants to become her country's first female government official. Along the way she becomes involved with the young emperor and his coterie of advisors. There's a side plot with two younger characters that also fits your request. (Saiunkoku is a bit hard to find these days because it's in licensing limbo.)

In Oh! Edo Rocket, a ban on entertainment by the Shogun makes it illegal for Tamaya Seikichi to pursue his interest in making fireworks. He dodges government agents on occasion to display his skills. One day a strange young woman appears and asks him to build her a firework that will take her to the moon.

If you can expand your concept to include a young boy and a female kitty, I'll toss in Chi's Sweet Home!

You might also enjoy Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, another light novel by the author of the Moribito series. There's not a single partnership like that forged between Balsa and Chagum, but Erin gets support from a number of characters over the course of the tale. (The link is to the version on Crunchyroll, but it's a poor translation. The fansubs are a better option, but I can't link to them since Erin is licensed.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-28 at 08:30.
Old 2011-11-28, 08:23   Link #5
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I suggest Steins;Gate. The protagonist, Rintarou, has a close relationship with his childhood friend Mayuri, and their friendship is a plot point later in the story. It's a science fiction anime, and a darn good one at that.
Old 2011-11-28, 08:36   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars - check this one out first. Sci-Fi

Ano Hana comes to mind. Paranormal

Chrono Crusade - Fantasy, set in the 1920s

Soul Eater

Full Metal Panic

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-11-28, 09:04   Link #7
kco143

Thank you everyone for the replies! You've helped me out a lot.

@MisaoFan - I just don't prefer incest because I think it's a littly creepy.

@totoum - Thank you very much. That historical one looks good, can't wait to check it out. Requiem has been on my "to-watch" list for a while. Probably going to bump it up now!

@SeijiSensei - Sorry about that! I will still check out those ones that you've mentioned. I think the only modern/realism anime I've ever liked was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and even that one had a twist, lol.

@Tempester - Thanks, it will be nice to watch a good sci-fi anime! I've been missing that genre lately.

@Sackett - Thanks, I've heard lot's of people say Crest of the Stars is fantastic. Can't wait to check that one out.
Old 2011-11-28, 09:49   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Your aversions to contemporary shows makes this a difficult request, otherwise I would have told you to watch Cross Game, Usagi Drop and Kurenai right away.
I had the same reaction as you,but after thinking about it some more I'd say Kurenai might qualify.
The setting is modern japan but the protagonist does have a bit of a supernatural power and the fact that the antagonists are a very traditional family that refuse to adapt to modern times kind of gave it a retro vibe to me.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:46   Link #9
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Durarara is modern, but has supernatural elements and has twist and turns from time to time.

Bakemonogatari is a supernatural romance comedy with plenty of wtf moments, and the story is great.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:08   Link #10
kco143

Thank you guys! Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but Daughter of Twenty Faces is another great example of something I love. Sadly, it seems to be one of a kind, because I have yet to find another anime similar to it.
Old 2011-11-28, 12:01   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kco143 View Post
Thank you guys! Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but Daughter of Twenty Faces is another great example of something I love. Sadly, it seems to be one of a kind, because I have yet to find another anime similar to it.
I almost mentioned that one actually, though Nijuu Mensou himself appears only intermittently. Based on your love for that show, you might consider Shion no Ou, where the orphaned Shion is mentored in Shougi by her adoptive father.

If you are willing to drop the requirement for the two characters to be of opposite genders, I'll also suggest Hikaru no Go for the relationship between Hikaru and ancient Go master Sai. Modern-day setting, though.
Old 2011-11-28, 16:02   Link #12
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

You may try El Cazador de la Bruja. One of the important characters has an adopted daughter, and he cares greatly for her. They are not the main characters, but they appear almost in every episode.
Old 2011-11-29, 20:58   Link #13
DFLOOD
Inactive Member

Watch noein. It has that and so much more.
Old 2011-11-30, 09:39   Link #14
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Your aversions to contemporary shows makes this a difficult request, otherwise I would have told you to watch Cross Game, Usagi Drop and Kurenai right away.
How about Les Miserables then? Historical setting and a sort of fatherly relationship.
Closed Thread