3 out of 10: Bad... 1 2.44%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-28, 07:37   Link #121
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I won't deny that Asemu has issues of his own, and that some of it may just be adolescence rather than caused by his father. But - what little we saw of it - Flit's no better with his wife and daughter.
We don't see Flit interact with other members of family, but that doesn't mean he is cold to them. All of those scenes just focus on him and Asem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
Because it was Flit colony(I think he made sure that everyone have evacuation training).
That why I think.... since the Vegan was destroying everything in civilian area.
Building(which should have many people), street...etc
Flit's colony? No, it's not. That place is already protected by the Earth Federation since we heard it in First Generation. The Veigan made a commotion in its purpose to lure out the Gundam. Their objective is not to kill people and terrorize, like in First Generation.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 07:42   Link #122
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
You speak in absolute terms, which turns me off a lot.

Vagans work in cells, right? Why can't you phrase that as an opinion, and here I propose, everything was part of the plan. It's not as if Geera Zoi and Zeheart worked together to infiltrate Earth. It's more likely that Zeheart's actions were facilitated by his predecessor's deeds. Quote Geera Zoi, he said before he died that nobody could stop the progress of Ezelcant-sama's plan, implying that he was merely a pawn in the plan, a component which fulfilled its objectives and someone else can takeover and built on his efforts.

My take is we can't really decipher Asemu's thoughts now. He's just too confused and enraged to even sought out his thoughts, much less for us to decode his. Give him time (I know I said this more than once already) and he will be fine. What begun as a desire to outsmart others may turn out to be a romantic attraction. After all, it's not that Asemu lacks compassion, he showed it clearly when he defended Zeheart at the graduation ceremony, and risking his life despite the odds of punishment.
Gerra Zoi's forces were annihilated. It took them 27 years to change tactics, it appears. The Vagans are sneakier now, way sneakier... not as into the whole terrorism stuff and destroying colonies.

The Vagans are very far from Mars and their "groups" seem to act independently from each other. Woolf and the Diva's crew uncover a Vagan base that I believe Zeheart doesn't seem to be aware about. Zeheart has very specific orders and focus.

- there is a Vagan cell or unit setting up secret bases on sympathetic colonies
- there is a group running around spying and killing people... the group which talked Zoi Jr into killing Grodek
- there is a mole in the Federation being handled by someone
- there is Zehearts group tasked with the Gundams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
Because it was Flit colony(I think he made sure that everyone have evacuation training).
That why I think.... since the Vegan was destroying everything in civilian area.
Building(which should have many people), street...etc
The focused on Flit's estate which they suspected of holding the weapon they wanted to steal. They were very focused on the task at hand... didn't aim for civilians.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 07:46   Link #123
kakakka

I don't think it's change in tactics. The Veigan's talk about their plan moving into the next phase imply it's all part of the initial plan.
Old 2012-03-28, 15:16   Link #124
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Even if we don't take into account a possible change in behaviour because of the Plan moving into a different stage, there doesn't seem to be anything that suggests that it took them 27 years to change tactics. Because we don't know what exactly they did in those 27 years, it could just be a slow gradual change rather than them changing the moment Asemu arc starts.

I'm pretty sure sabotaging the Federation and all aren't totally new. I think the crisis at Fardain happened because the Vagans gave each side mobile suit designs so they could fight each other for real. Also, unlike in Gen I, the Vagans are actually characters that we see and follow around this time (there's some of that in Gen I but relatively little compared to Gen II), so of course we're going to be seeing more of them that involve more subtle things like espionage and resource building. Just because we don't see Vagans attack and destroy colonies like we did in Gen I, doesn't mean they aren't especially when the main character we are following is in a task force in which it's main goal is to attack Earth directly or to weaken its defenses.

That being said, I do assume that the Vagans must have change tactics to some degree at least, especially since the EFF aren't the lambs that they once were in Gen I thanks to Beam Sabers and DODS technology. Even with whatever engineering method it is that they are using to counteract AGE System and new developments, they're still relatively much less stronger than they were before the advent of the AGE-1 and the AGE System. They do look like they have a lot of special cells, but that's not really surprising for any organization that's trying to do the things they're trying to so.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:12   Link #125
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But he isn't cold and distant about it.
Woolf's Woolf, Flit's Flit, different people handle things differently. There's no absolute right or wrong way to do things here. If anything Woolf is acting like a bro, Flit is more like a father. Also Woolf doesn't care about his role in the army and goes out of his way to look after his sub-ordinates (hence why he is always stuck as a lowly captain despite his age and experience), Flit's the leader of the entire Federation force who's got bigger things on his mind, if you are willing to cut Asemu slack for being young, then it's only fair that you have to also cut Flit slack because he holds a position of power and a heavy sense of duty which prevents him from being a completely bias father who would forget his own mission and cuddle his son.

Quote:
Flit's no better with his wife and daughter.
Sorry but that's BS - I know there's a meme about Flit having a loveless marriage and all that but just because we don't see it on screen doesn't mean you can fill in your own conclusions. Flit's daughter seems completely happy too and when Flit gave Asemu the AGE Device she was also hassling her father for something special, if a father is cold and distant towards his daughter this would NEVER happen, the daughter would be too scared of the father to joke/act childish like that.

If anything it seems the Asuno family is completely normal and even a bit too peppy - EXCEPT when the AGE Device got brought up. The family has a thorn in the side, but otherwise they seem perfectly happy. It's pretty hard to raise a peppy and normal family when the father/mother are loveless.

Quote:
He'd have fought if the fight had come to him. But he never seemed that eager to go looking for trouble. There definitely was a vibe of "my father made me do it" to his enlistment.
Maybe, but with all situations when trouble comes he always act on first reaction, and the war would have come to him anyway, hence the argument that he would be happy as a sideliner like an engineer is a failed argument.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 21:32   Link #126
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

Just finished watching the episode. Surprisingly i got a mixed feeling for Grodek's death. I always wanted Arabel Zoi to get his revenge, but i didn't think it would be this early. Its pretty weird that Flit have never thought of upgrading his AGE-1 to the highest MS level possible, pretty sure it will be bite him in the back. ( Can imagine the cliche scene of child saving father due to MS performance difference...)
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 23:32   Link #127
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiDamien View Post
Just finished watching the episode. Surprisingly i got a mixed feeling for Grodek's death. I always wanted Arabel Zoi to get his revenge, but i didn't think it would be this early. Its pretty weird that Flit have never thought of upgrading his AGE-1 to the highest MS level possible, pretty sure it will be bite him in the back. ( Can imagine the cliche scene of child saving father due to MS performance difference...)
Well, he doesn't do a lot of piloting these days. He went last time due to an emergency and this time was just a contingency of just bringing it along. Its at least as competent as the Adele though and maybe more if the upgrades are more under the hood, so it should be alright. He might think its not worth the effort.
Old 2012-03-28, 23:36   Link #128
Jellal
Anime Critic

Overall, could someone please disclose the basic timeline of events for this series?
I am a HUGE gundam fan since the 90's, yet I haven't picked this show up due to certain rumors of it being poorly animated.

Anime comments will be taken to heart!
Jellal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 23:50   Link #129
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Well, he doesn't do a lot of piloting these days. He went last time due to an emergency and this time was just a contingency of just bringing it along. Its at least as competent as the Adele though and maybe more if the upgrades are more under the hood, so it should be alright. He might think its not worth the effort.
True, he doesn't seem to be on the front line alot. But i figured if he considered the notion of going out to the front line himself,he would have want his unit to be optimised to the max considering how much of a obessesion it was to him in gen-1. It's possible he doesn't have that much time but i'm sure he can get Dique or someone trustworthy to do it for him.
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 01:47   Link #130
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Woolf's Woolf, Flit's Flit, different people handle things differently. There's no absolute right or wrong way to do things here. If anything Woolf is acting like a bro, Flit is more like a father. Also Woolf doesn't care about his role in the army and goes out of his way to look after his sub-ordinates (hence why he is always stuck as a lowly captain despite his age and experience), Flit's the leader of the entire Federation force who's got bigger things on his mind, if you are willing to cut Asemu slack for being young, then it's only fair that you have to also cut Flit slack because he holds a position of power and a heavy sense of duty which prevents him from being a completely bias father who would forget his own mission and cuddle his son.
It's not a matter of cutting him - either of them - some slack or not. It's a description of their interactions. Flit barely smiles, expresses no interest in Asemu beyond what he can do as a pilot, just took it for granted that Asemu would want to pilot the AGE. And that was true even when he was on leave, before Asemu officially enlisted.

I have indeed raised the war and all it entails as a possible explanation, and I'm not trying to judge him. I'm just saying - Flit is cold to his son, and said son has daddy issues. There's probably some link between the two facts.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 04:54   Link #131
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellal View Post
Overall, could someone please disclose the basic timeline of events for this series?
I am a HUGE gundam fan since the 90's, yet I haven't picked this show up due to certain rumors of it being poorly animated.

Anime comments will be taken to heart!
150 years before Age part 1- Mars colonization failure. A disease called Mars Rays affects the population with a 20% mortality rate. Federation covers it up and erases records.

??? before Age part 1- The Gundam is the legendary savior.

100 years before Age part 1- The warring Earth Sphere entities, colony alliances Euba and Zalam among them, sign the Silver Chalice Treaty. The treaty disarmament and tech downgrade of mobile suits.

14 years before Age part 1- Colony Angel destroyed by UE, Unknown Enemy.

7 years before Age part 1- Flit's colony attacked by UE, he looses both mother and father. Receives Age device from his mother.

Age part 1- Colony Nora attacked and destroyed, Fardain arc, Operation Ambat. Revelation that UE are Martian colonists seeking to conquer Earth. Federation keep that secret as Grodek is sent to prison for mutiny.

Age part 2 25 years after part 1- Asemu receives Age device from Flit. Zeheart infiltration to steal Gundam Age-1 fail.

2 years later- Zeheart revealed as a spy. Zeheart given command of Vagan invasion forces. Asumu joins Federation military. Age-2 designed by Age builder.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 05:16   Link #132
JediNight
キズランダム

Disappointing episode, sigh. More uninspired writing and scenario scripting. Age2 really has been a let-down compared to most of Age1.

Why even bring Grodek back if they were just going to kill him off? Especially since even the audience doesn't know what was on Grodek's datapad. So think of what Grodek's re-introduction accomplishes: Says hi to Flit. Random alley death. Contributes nothing to the furthering of the plot. It reminds me of the silliness in S2 of Gundam00 where they kept informant chick and Nena around for 25 extra episodes of nothing only to kill them randomly at the end.

Then you have the huge waste of potential with having the former commander's son just be some crazy bum stabbing him then getting eliminated. There was so much more potential more akin to Desil's role in the story so far than just this stupidity.

Finally, you have Asemu continue to sink into the pits of being a douchebag almost worse than his father. It's like Shinn all over again. He's not very skilled, but he gets to crutch on superior tech with the Gundam. And if that's not bad enough, the PV shows us he's going to try to crutch EVEN MORE by stealing the Vagan helmet.

Where are the Bright Slaps when you need them? Asemu has earned about a dozen so far.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:30   Link #133
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Why even bring Grodek back if they were just going to kill him off? Especially since even the audience doesn't know what was on Grodek's datapad. So think of what Grodek's re-introduction accomplishes: Says hi to Flit. Random alley death. Contributes nothing to the furthering of the plot. It reminds me of the silliness in S2 of Gundam00 where they kept informant chick and Nena around for 25 extra episodes of nothing only to kill them randomly at the end.
Sighs.

Do you not realise the impact of Grodek's death on Flit? If you do, you remember Flit respects Grodek and perhaps even look up to him as a role model. With Grodek dead amidst the Vagan war, Flit would probably draw links and conclude that the Vagans had something to do with his death. So who should be concerned about the supposed "abruptness" of his death to you? It's the "suddenness" of his death to Flit that matters.

And Nena lived so that somebody worthy could kill off Wang. For having lived, she was the surviving embodiment of Trinity's tyranny, and an example of how screwed up and corrupt Aeolia's plan became.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:44   Link #134
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Sighs.

Do you not realise the impact of Grodek's death on Flit? If you do, you remember Flit respects Grodek and perhaps even look up to him as a role model. With Grodek dead amidst the Vagan war, Flit would probably draw links and conclude that the Vagans had something to do with his death. So who should be concerned about the supposed "abruptness" of his death to you? It's the "suddenness" of his death to Flit that matters.

And Nena lived so that somebody worthy could kill off Wang. For having lived, she was the surviving embodiment of Trinity's tyranny, and an example of how screwed up and corrupt Aeolia's plan became.
Grodek is irrelevant to Flit's motivations. Flit's path of revenge was sealed by the death of Yuurin. Sure he respects him for doing what was right in the face of apathy, etc. but that isn't relevant to the current story. You can't be any more angry at the Vagans than Flit already is. (He wants genocide basically)

As for Nena/Wang -- they were extra wheels that were kicking around for far too long for no real reason. What did Wang accomplish in being around for 25 episodes? Nothing. Her role in the story was done after S1 and she should have been written off. Similarly, Nena's potential after S1 was also squandered -- either a path of redemption and bringing into the fold of Celestial Being, or being driven only by revenge and being a thorn in the side of Celestial Being the entire time. Instead there was no redemption, and she was barely involved in combat at all until that futile last fight where she was unceremoniously killed off pathetically.
Old 2012-04-02, 08:12   Link #135
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Grodek is a mentor and a know-it-all in G1. His revelation about a Veigan Spy and his death means the revelation is big one for the plot.

Also, they kept Wang because she's an informant. Putting a new character would have been more waste than what they have done. We learned she's a bitch and there's nothing big waiting for her at the end. Her end was fitting. Same with Nena Trinity.

EDIT: All talk about the two's potential is really just fan wishes. Them being there is already fan-service from the start. Get over it.

Quote:
Then you have the huge waste of potential with having the former commander's son just be some crazy bum stabbing him then getting eliminated. There was so much more potential more akin to Desil's role in the story so far than just this stupidity.
That drives the point Grodek was making though.
Old 2012-04-05, 16:16   Link #136
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

You know for once I'd love to see one of these meetings between protag and antag like so go the way it never goes the protag actually managing to either kill the other guy or bring him in.
It's always they meet, they talk, the melodrama ensues, the shouting and illogical thinking and then in this case the girl getting mixed up in it as well and doing something hugely stupid, like massively bigger than J-Lo ass stupid.
For once I'd like to see the "good guy" actually go aginst the grain and do the unexpected.
Yes I know it goes agianst having sotry and what not but any good writer can work around it or make it into something grand.
But then wouldn't be Gundam if we didn't have secret meetings like this

Overall a rather meh episode tbh, even with the Double Bullet showing up I wasn't excited, it's a cool MS but felt they didn't do a great deal to show case it other than exactly what you'd expect to see.
Old 2012-04-06, 05:47   Link #137
JediNight
キズランダム

The whole "I can't be myself as long as you're around" crap from Zeheart is so incredibly stupid I can't even describe it in words...
Old 2012-04-06, 15:08   Link #138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think it makes a certain sense. His attachment to Asemu keeps him from being the good little fanatic he wants to be.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 15:53   Link #139
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And it's not even something he can keep hidden, from the looks of it. Daz seems to be aware of it, knowing Asem by name, and Desil is definitely aware of it and will probably take advantage of it. It's probably the one thing Zeheart wouldn't want getting back to Lord Ezelcant...

Tags
weekly episode discussion