AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 03:47   Link #781
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
It would be curious if L.S. were to trow an Ambassador Magma parody. That's probably one of the few shows of this type that I actually watched.
Ambassador Magma was already referenced in "FMP! Fumoffu!" If they do that again in Lucky Star, it would be a repeat gag by KyoAni.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 04:17   Link #782
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
That was a long wait but it was worth it.

Did I liked this first episode? Yes.

Did I find the food talk scene long? Yes, but there were times I found myself nodding or pulling a disgusted face at the mention of some food (mayonnaise on natto, uuugh...). It is understandable that people closed their media player at that point of the episode.

I kinda related myself to Konata in some of her talks, like that one about her online friend in a MMO (I myself play a lot of Ragnarok Online).

I laughed quite a lot at the Guile scene, the Konata's reason to visit Kagami, this talk about the difference between a cold and influenza.

Ironically, it may be the mixed reviews and the bitching (especially over 4chan's /a/) that helped me to enjoy this show, and judge it on its own merits. And having read some chapters of the manga did help too.

EDIT: I want to watch more, I want to see the other characters and their chemistry.
The past taught me to not skip a whole series because of its first episode (Gungrave anyone?).

EDIT 2: I forgot to say. Lucky Channel fucking wins!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 05:16   Link #783
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
(Hey, those images look really clean. Which raw did you use?)
Despite what Daniel E. said (lol, thanks by the way ^^) ... I used the sos-dan 150 Mb raw, which is fairly good and clean if you ask me. The only flaw as [woland] says would be to be 120fps...

--------------------------------

Yeah.. with afk subs things looked smoother, even though I still find the whole food part a bit too long ^^ ... the subbed OP gains a whole new level of awesomeness instead, while the Lucky Channel part is better each time I watch it!
As already mentioned, my only qualm about afk version, otherwise perfect, is the fact they translated "moe", I kinda consider that like an holy word, so it should be always be left untranslated (also because a proper translation for it doesn't even exhist, imho ^^).

Anyway, Akira keeps inspiring me and so I made 3 freebie signatures

I may start a new strip corner with these if they keep coming

If anyone is interested, claim and I could add your name.
Old 2007-04-12, 05:41   Link #784
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
EDIT 2: I forgot to say. Lucky Channel ***ing wins!
Yes, that was pretty funny And the OP is awesome too. I was very impressed at how they adapted the 4-panel style to give some semblance of a coherent thread, and plus, laughing out loud several times during an episode is so rare for me that it's an automatic win.

My favorite quote (when talking about how to soft ice cream cones) was:

"I do a little push-pull action" + hand motion

^^;

...personally, I bite a little hole in the bottom edge of the cone and suck it empty.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 05:53   Link #785
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
~ My favorite quote (when talking about how to soft ice cream cones) was:

"I do a little push-pull action" + hand motion

^^;

...personally, I bite a little hole in the bottom edge of the cone and suck it empty.
Speaking of that scene, I actually do something similar when eating an ice-cream cone. After finishing most of the top part, I start pushing the rest of the ice-cream into the cone using my tongue.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 05:58   Link #786
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hopefully you peeps clean up yourself after you eat your ice cream.......

In all honesty, that whole food conversation really made me hungry.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 06:02   Link #787
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Lol, seems like this topic is quite common in RakiSuta threads. I just read someone asking how they eat a choco corone (choco cone?). Personally, I do it like how Konata does it; lick the ice-cream and push it down the cone. Problem is when the cone gets too much ice-cream and it bursts. Icky...

I love the part when Tsukasa goes (゜д゜) at Miyuki. The expression is just gold. Shoot me, I'm petty. xD
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 06:15   Link #788
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Interesting how as soon as A.F.K does there release its suddenly as popular as Haruhi. I'm intrigued, what exactly did they do with their subs that took it from "Meh" to "best debuting show of the season" for many in less than 3 days. Jokes are still the same as in Sleeping-Forest except now its somehow better? Or were the hardcore Kyoto Animation fans holding off until A.F.K's release. That's probably it, we got more people in here after that and the tone is now set. Well I can stop defending Kyoto Animation now and go back to neutral as I'm no longer needed in that capacity.

Oh and good blog entry by Jeff. One of his better ones I'd say.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 06:30   Link #789
JediNight
キズランダム

Yeah I think part of it is people were waiting for one of the more established groups to release. And overall AFK does a more polished release, so the translation quality and presentation are better. They also have a good track record with "sleeper" shows.

They subbed Azumanga Daioh AND Haruhi when nobody was really that interested in either. Then like 1-2 months after they were subbing it, the popularity in the shows exploded.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 06:38   Link #790
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Honestly, I wasn't terribly impressed with a.f.k's over simplification of some things, as has already been mentioned; translating the foods and such. Overall their releases are excellent, but that particular aspect is something that bugs me, though that's not a dig at a.f.k at all, it bugs me whenever any group does it. Things like reversing names and over-translating things like food names is just unnecessary.

I watched the speedsub release, and fell in love with the show from it because the show itself is exactly my kettle of fish. I don't need a 'big' group to do something for me to like it, though I do prefer a more polished release (not a separate sub file, for a start; use mkv etc for softsubs >.<) to keep, so I also got a.f.k's version and as said, they did an excellent job; I'm just not keen on over-translation. Personal gripe with the practice, not a dig at the group at all.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 06:49   Link #791
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I think is more about Pellissier's skill than anything else; Of course, a good source always helps.

Hmmm.. looks kinda stange.

WOW!!! So cute may I use this avatar? She's like pointing and saying "You and Me..."

Thanks
Old 2007-04-12, 07:19   Link #792
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Hmmm.... they did it on purpose right? OTZ

Bloody Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:22   Link #793
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Hahaha, that's pretty funny
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:23   Link #794
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Nightingale View Post
Hmmm.... they did it on purpose right? OTZ

Given that Konata is supposed to be an otaku, and parodies are a staple of such, I am willing to bet that yes, it is intentional. Especially since F/SN is highlighted below the parody.

Regardless, they really want to milk the choco-cone for all its' worth, eh?

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 07:34   Link #795
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Every time I watch screenies of Lucky Star, I'm impressed at how rich the colors are for the characters, especially Konata. The colors seem to be clean, bright, but not stupid (yes, I'm looking at you Wind*** XP Luna).

Regarding food, I:
  • eat the Choco-corone thick side first (hard to find these Stateside ).
  • I also push my soft icecream down, although I do it with my lips.
  • mix my curry and my rice, but don't add anything strange to it.
  • pick off the last bits of Yakitori with my chopsticks.
Old 2007-04-12, 07:37   Link #796
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
With ice-cream, I eat all the ice cream from the top, and when only the cone is left filled with ice cream, I chomp it down with a couple of bites.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:53   Link #797
Skane
Anime Snark

Another late blog entry about Lucky Star.

Itadakimasu! Lucky ☆ Star oishiisou!

Looks like [a.f.k.] is going to be the de facto fansub for most people.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 07:57   Link #798
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

AFAIK, there was another piccu of them cosplaying as FSN. (It even had a screenshot of the game, but had Kagami as Rin). Unfortunately, I can't find it in my HDD since I already dumped it to my image dump folder.

Also, I think there was also an Konata-Al-Azif, but I can't remember if it looked like official art.

EDIT: Found it.

celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:07   Link #799
Anime Online

My favorite line in Episode#1 would be "Konata desu" in the preview. Her voice and character design just grows on me.

I've read other 4-koma comics before and I can't say I'm a fan of the elusive humor, but for some reason Lucky☆Star is really growing on me as well. And fie on you, KyoAni, for taking advantage of my weakness for dancing scenes! I've been rewatching the catchy OP over and over.

I can hardly wait for the next episode. Does anyone know what day-time-slot the anime occupy in Japan?

[EDIT]
I just realized after trying to lick the chocolate that kept oozing out, Kona-chan solved the problem by stuffing the entire cone into her mouth.

Last edited by Anime Online; 2007-04-12 at 08:27.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:18   Link #800
~NaNaMi~
Tea is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Akira needs love
Stolen!
Thanks in advance

Last edited by ~NaNaMi~; 2007-04-12 at 08:59.
~NaNaMi~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen