Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-04-22, 12:55   Link #1041
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
And as for story beats like Aerith dying not being impactful because it's so well known? Well how about rather than the usual Sephiroth impales Aerith, the party wasn't able to stop Cloud in time and he ends up doing the deed himself. Aerith still dies cause that's pretty important to the plot (depending on your interpretation of it anyway), but now people are like HOLY SHIT CLOUD KILLED AERITH!? Now in my opinion that seems like a good way of subverting expectations. Added bonus of messing Cloud up even more.
Please dont.
Subverting expectations for the sake of it is bad writing.
I'm getting Game of Thrones season 8 ptsd just hearing that term

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2020-04-27 at 10:55.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-22, 12:58   Link #1042
Shadow5YA

Well.. at least someone's dream came true

Images
Scarlet
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 16:09   Link #1043
Wandering Soul

I just finished the story.

Spoiler for thoughts:
Old 2020-04-23, 18:17   Link #1044
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

On chapter 14 now. I'm more of a Tifa fan and still am, but Aerith is just amazing in this remake, in no small part thanks to Maaya Sakamoto's performance. Breathed a lot of life into the character. The additions to the plot are still good except for chapter 11 that felt like complete filler. I didn't enjoy the first half of chapter 9 either. There are other places where you can feel they were trying to pad things out as much as they could. I'm not sure why they were so intent on making an entire game out of Midgar. Maybe my impressions will change as I progress more but Midgar really doesn't feel big. I'm impressed with what they did with the characters but not with the city.

Oh, and the side-quests suck.
Old 2020-04-24, 13:05   Link #1045
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
On chapter 14 now. I'm more of a Tifa fan and still am, but Aerith is just amazing in this remake, in no small part thanks to Maaya Sakamoto's performance. Breathed a lot of life into the character. The additions to the plot are still good except for chapter 11 that felt like complete filler. I didn't enjoy the first half of chapter 9 either. There are other places where you can feel they were trying to pad things out as much as they could. I'm not sure why they were so intent on making an entire game out of Midgar. Maybe my impressions will change as I progress more but Midgar really doesn't feel big. I'm impressed with what they did with the characters but not with the city.

Oh, and the side-quests suck.
Logistically it's because Midgar is mostly linear even in the original game, so they can develop it without having to accommodate open world mechanics that would inevitably take a lot more time, planning, and resources.

Leaving Midgar for Kalm is the first time you are presented with the overworld proper with the ability to free roam, so they can't present it in the same linear, cinematic format as Midgar.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2020-04-24 at 13:49.
Old 2020-04-24, 13:34   Link #1046
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
After FFXV I highly doubt in Squeenix capacity to create a decent open world game. So I wouldnt be surprised if they decided to make things linear again.
Old 2020-04-24, 15:45   Link #1047
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
After FFXV I highly doubt in Squeenix capacity to create a decent open world game. So I wouldnt be surprised if they decided to make things linear again.
FFXV is not exactly even "open". The story is minimal until you get to Lestallum, and after that point when the story kicks in, the game becomes completely linear all the way to the end.
Old 2020-04-24, 18:16   Link #1048
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Development and logistic issues aside, it also makes sense to stop the first game at Midgar regarding the plot and the pace of the story at large. The narrative points are established to introduce the core members of the party and the initial stakes of the game. Once you are outside of Midgar, there is very very few plot parts where you can end the game in a satisfaying fashion. And the closest one in my books is either the Golden Saucer or Nibelheim, which is a long trek after Midgar.
Old 2020-04-24, 18:39   Link #1049
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't remember the original all that much, but is the end of disk one really that far from the end of Midgar?

And I'm really not expecting them to make an open world for the sequel either. I'm thinking they'll do something like FFX.
Old 2020-04-24, 18:48   Link #1050
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Original Midgar was basically 7-9 hours the first time, depending on your pace. Disc 1 overall was like 20-25 hours while disc 2 was like 15-20 and disc 3 was around 3-5 hours (I did an full list of the events of the game before), so Disc 1 is really the first half, and bulky at that. That's why people were really surprised when Midgar was announced as the first part before Kitase mentioned about expanding the narrative and stuff like that.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-04-24 at 19:16.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-25, 00:47   Link #1051
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Spoiler for Remake plot theory:

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2020-04-25, 01:52   Link #1052
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Spoiler for Remake plot theory:
I wouldn't go that far.

Spoiler for Aerith:
Old 2020-04-26, 08:01   Link #1053
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Please dont.
Subverting expectations for the sake of it = bad writing.
I'm getting Game of Thrones season 8 ptsd just hearing that term
So pretty much the culmination of this Remake when playing through Chapter 18 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Development and logistic issues aside, it also makes sense to stop the first game at Midgar regarding the plot and the pace of the story at large. The narrative points are established to introduce the core members of the party and the initial stakes of the game. Once you are outside of Midgar, there is very very few plot parts where you can end the game in a satisfaying fashion. And the closest one in my books is either the Golden Saucer or Nibelheim, which is a long trek after Midgar.
This is pretty much what I had in mind when Remake was announced to be in parts. End of Midgar would have made a great stopping point. Well maybe a short timeskip to Kalm (as a world map would have been unfeasible at this point) and we would have gotten more of Cloud's backstory while setting up anticipation for the actual big bad of the game.

Spoiler:
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-26, 11:21   Link #1054
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't remember the original all that much, but is the end of disk one really that far from the end of Midgar?

And I'm really not expecting them to make an open world for the sequel either. I'm thinking they'll do something like FFX.
Disc 1 ended with the legendary death;
Disc 2 ended with ability to access Sephiroth lair;
Disc 3 is Sephiroth fight with Weapons boss battle as bonus content.

The first installment of FF VII R already brought all the important point regarding Cloud during OG Disc 1 without need walking through world map, with some cut, then again his past is one of Remake plot now. Considering that next installment probably will be about Avalanche, Gold Saucer (as they already promised to bring it back with glory of HD) and Junon with Yuffie and Cid plot point moved there as IMO that would be the most sensible way to recruit them within space limitation together with Cait Sith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
They already said it in interview that after the finalized product, they consider world map for XV is too ambitious that now they using XIII series as example to built map for Remake. Not surprising as nowadays making world map more difficult with open world in mind, maybe unless people sent letter to them saying "we're fine with old, random encounter map where the character looks small"

Old 2020-04-27, 01:53   Link #1055
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Disc 1 ended with the legendary death;
Disc 2 ended with ability to access Sephiroth lair;
Disc 3 is Sephiroth fight with Weapons boss battle as bonus content.

The first installment of FF VII R already brought all the important point regarding Cloud during OG Disc 1 without need walking through world map, with some cut, then again his past is one of Remake plot now. Considering that next installment probably will be about Avalanche, Gold Saucer (as they already promised to bring it back with glory of HD) and Junon with Yuffie and Cid plot point moved there as IMO that would be the most sensible way to recruit them within space limitation together with Cait Sith.

They already said it in interview that after the finalized product, they consider world map for XV is too ambitious that now they using XIII series as example to built map for Remake. Not surprising as nowadays making world map more difficult with open world in mind, maybe unless people sent letter to them saying "we're fine with old, random encounter map where the character looks small"

Assassins creed seems to do good with World maps for origins and odyssey
Old 2020-04-27, 06:50   Link #1056
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Assassins creed seems to do good with World maps for origins and odyssey
The world of FFVII is on a completely different scale though. I really wouldn't mind them bringing back the old school world map, but with their focus on "realism", I doubt they'll go for that.
Old 2020-04-27, 09:01   Link #1057
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Spoiler for Spoilers:

I actually believe that they'll end part 2 either in the Temple of the Ancients, or City of the Ancients. Those are good places for cliffhangers.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-27, 11:02   Link #1058
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
So pretty much the culmination of this Remake when playing through Chapter 18 then.
No because it looks like Square Enix have a plan on where they are taking this new narrative. It's unlike what happened in GoT where the writers focused too much on throwing as much surprises to the viewers to subvert their expectations all the while ignoring the characters' development from past seasons.

Old 2020-04-27, 18:58   Link #1059
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finished it today.

Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2020-04-28, 13:39   Link #1060
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

New info for FF7 remake. SPOILER WARNING.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler:

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg