AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 19:38   Link #281
Fishfood1

Sounds like i'm going to fear how the live action movie will turn out... this doesn't sound too well.
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 19:40   Link #282
Rava77

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccha View Post
Avatar was a badass show,especially that Sokka is great comic relief.
Well ... he started as one.

But his voice actor did such a good job that Mike and Brian decided to give him more depth ...

One of them confessed in an interview or on one of the many CC's that his relationship with his first girlfriend was very similar to Sukka (that is: Sokka & Suki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood1 View Post
Sounds like i'm going to fear how the live action movie will turn out... this doesn't sound too well.
I am very unsure about it, too ... but then we do have the original animated series. So, even when the three movies are just crap ... I am still happy that I met the Avatarverse (you know: the animated one)

Last edited by Rava77; 2009-01-26 at 19:42. Reason: new quote inserted
Rava77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:47   Link #283
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
It kind of reminds me of how in Memoirs of a Geisha (with authenticy in the book itself set aside) the actor was chinese and not japanese, I believe, and it was still a good movie. I know it's not as big as having american actors, but although I do see the point they are making, I feel it isn't that big of a deal. It's kind of lampshaded, but I don't see how hiring asian actors would make the show 'better', it still would be avatar, and I don't see how it would make it be authentic either, since, the show was MADE in America, this holds true despite the overwhelming asian influences. I understand people are getting upset over this, and I guess it's kind of like taking only the 'marketable' aspects of asian culture, but at the same time, I don't think it's a completely horrible affair. Now, if they tried to remove such asian aspects of the show, that would be downright censorship. Even though the character designs are diverse, not all of the characters I believe are meant to be asian. They are supposed to be from a diverse world, with more than one ethnicity. so hiring all asian actors would just be limiting it the same as all white.

Overall, I'm kind of impartial to the whole ethnicity ordeal. I mean, just because a show borrows ideas from asian (and other cultures) in a fantasy show doesn't mean that the characters have to be the same ethnicity as the real life influence from which it came. Technically, since the world in the Avatar series is made up, there isn't such ethnicities as asian, caucasian, inuit, etc. It's the four elemental nations, founded as loosely or stiffly on their originating real life culture.
I get what your saying and as much as many people are distraught about it, the casting is pretty much done.

However consider this...a lot of filming will be done in Asia, and its reasonable to say they will probably have a lot Asians as extras, you know to fill up the background...now what about the consistency?

You have an Asian location with Asian architecture and Asian extras, but then you have these main white kids walking around. Perhaps they thought about this already and have some plans to make it look more consistent while filming (or maybe not), but on paper it looks weird to say the least...

Just pointing it out...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 22:56   Link #284
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

You definately have a point there. I never really thought about that. Yeah I agree that would definately be a problem. Sorry, I was only looking at the cast themselves, not the actual film, or it's surroundings. Well, we can only see.
Mistypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 04:18   Link #285
Netevolution

A very nice anime(or American animation)but lousy budget, wich is why they had to end it too soon. The ending was obviesly rushed, and it would have been much cooler if Ang had jumped up into space and destroyed the comet Superman/Captain planet style

Here we see again what budget cuts do to good animation
Netevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 09:37   Link #286
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I always assumed it would be 4 seasons, so when the 3rd season was over I was like. Huh. That seemed like a finale. That's weird, what are they going to do for book air?
And then I realized it only was going to be 3 seasons O___o that was weird. haha I didn't know xD
Mistypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 10:08   Link #287
Fishfood1

Mike and Brian did do that fake book 4 joke during SDCC last summer, which was pretty lol-worthy. But it did piss off a lot of zutarians
Old 2009-01-27, 10:36   Link #288
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
I always assumed it would be 4 seasons, so when the 3rd season was over I was like. Huh. That seemed like a finale. That's weird, what are they going to do for book air?
And then I realized it only was going to be 3 seasons O___o that was weird. haha I didn't know xD
It's an obvious marketing ploy, though not one that the creators themselves seem to be utilizing.
Unfortunately, something like this may add to the hype of whatever incarnation of the series M. Night has in store for the silver screen.

... God help us all.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"We were all meant to shine as children do.

"It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 13:49   Link #289
Rava77

Quote:
No, it was meant from the beginning only to be 3 books.
Since Aang already mastered airbending prior the current time line and story.

Quote:
Mike and Brian did do that fake book 4 joke during SDCC last summer, which was pretty lol-worthy. But it did piss off a lot of zutarians
I know quite some Zutarians who are pissed of by the rebid unreasonable Zutarions ... so who cares about that.
And I would so love to get a version of that Book 4 - Air spoof without all the shouting and gasps ... but it seems we won't get that.

Do Bryke have a net site or any known net account?
Old 2009-01-27, 16:02   Link #290
Fishfood1

they so unsatisfied with how their ship ended, aren't they working on some zutarian project on DA with help of zuko's VA?

i kinda find it sad that they go to quite insane length for it. i mean i don't see other fandom get VA from their show to satisfy their shipping need (eg: kalulu from code geass)
Old 2009-01-27, 18:17   Link #291
Rava77

Quote:
they so unsatisfied with how their ship ended, aren't they working on some zutarian project on DA with help of zuko's VA?
Yes, they make an animated finale with Zutara happening

Quote:
i kinda find it sad that they go to quite insane length for it. i mean i don't see other fandom get VA from their show to satisfy their shipping need (eg: kalulu from code geass)
Oh yes I agree.. still the hard core Zutarians on dA even now make Zutara meme's with a "Which is worse: Kataang or Maiko" part
I think that's pathetic
Old 2009-01-29, 04:54   Link #292
Tamerlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netevolution View Post
A very nice anime(or American animation)but lousy budget, wich is why they had to end it too soon. The ending was obviesly rushed, and it would have been much cooler if Ang had jumped up into space and destroyed the comet Superman/Captain planet style

Here we see again what budget cuts do to good animation

Avatar is pretty high budget actually (more then any anime), the animation, special effects, music and voice acting took a lot of money

Also, with 61 episodes it's longer then most anime series anyway. The only animes with more episodes I know about are anime serials like Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece and so on.

There are a lot of superb animes who have far less epis than Avatar: Code Geass (50), Full Metal Alchemist (51), Death Note (37), Cowboy Bebop (26), Basilisk (24) and so on.
Tamerlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 17:29   Link #293
cat746

Send a message via ICQ to cat746 Send a message via MSN to cat746
are they having the movies as animated or with actual people doing it, cos i always thought it was animated,but a couple of the prev. comments have confused me, but avatar as anything But animated in my opinion would be Extremely weird!!!!!
anyways, about the voice casts, in some ways i don't know Why they're having new people do the voices in any case, they Should be able to to have the same people do the voices, even If they have to slightly deepen some of them digitally to make it fit, But IF they Have to have different voice actors i just Really hope that they don't completely ruin it by having voices that sound Nothing like what the original actors did, cos it'll just ruin the Whole movie if thats done, i mean they had the original actor of Uncle Iroh unfortunately pass on during the series and they got someone else in that sounded pretty similar, enough so that a lot of people wouldn't have noticed except for the dedications, so i Hope that they can do similar for the movies, and i also hope that the people the pick will be able to keep each characters key points and quirks alive and even make them grow as well thats what i would like to see happen with the movies anyways
cat746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 19:07   Link #294
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

No we're talking about the live action movie thats soon to be filmed. As in real people doing it.

Thats the reason there is such heated debate. The casting for the people which seems to be set in place, can be argued to be not authentic to the show. Its being compared to by many of the fans as the next Dragonball Evolution, as in terribly lame and wrong.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 00:54   Link #295
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fantastic news - Jesse McCartney has dropped out of Avatar (if there weren't enough reason to hate him as Zuko, the interview he gave where he showed complete ignorance of all things Avatar would be enough). Even better, he's been replaced the the wonderful Dev Patel of "Slumdog Millionaire".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 08:31   Link #296
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Dev Patel of "Slumdog Millionaire".
i doubt that he would be able to pull it off. Zuko is so cool and collected, and he acts older than all the others. i can't really see him as Zuko but, i gess that is why they call it acting.
Old 2009-02-02, 14:02   Link #297
Fishfood1

well, i was never looking forward to the live action movie, cause often the review for other live action movie of an animated show were pretty harsh/bad.

but as a fan of the show, i'd have to go to movie theater to watch it for the sake of loyalty.
Old 2009-02-03, 06:59   Link #298
einhorn303

Quote:
I feel like I've explained this quite a few times already, but each Book is named after the element Aang learns and masters in that season. (Water, Earth, Fire) He already knows airbending, of course, hence no Air Book.

Man, typing this stuff makes me so nostalgic for the show...I haven't seen any of it since the finale aired last Summer. I really need to go get the Season 3 DVD set, the finale episodes are so imminently rewatchable and awesome, orz.

I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude to the Live Action. I don't care about the whole "non-Ethnic actors" shitstorm...can't help but think that motivated the Zuko switch. The only thing I'm displeased about is that Toph won't be showing up until the 2nd movie...and she's the best character in the show. Moe~
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 01:35   Link #299
Clarste
Human

Oddly enough the San Francisco Chronicle published a little whining article about the ethnicity of the actors in their movie section. And here I thought it was limited to internet fanboys... Then again, they framed it in terms of "we're ready for Asian action heroes in a Hollywood movie." Which is slightly different from what I'm hearing here. I think.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 16:08   Link #300
Tamerlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i doubt that he would be able to pull it off. Zuko is so cool and collected, and he acts older than all the others. i can't really see him as Zuko but, i gess that is why they call it acting.

Wait. Since when is ZUKO a calm and collected guy? Are you confusing him with his girlfriend or sister? Are you sure we watched the same show?
Tamerlan is offline   Reply With Quote