Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-10-03, 20:32   Link #1
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Your anime experience, and how you got into anime。。。

What's your anime experience been like up until now, and how did you get into anime/manga? Is it just something you happen to do in your free time, but don't go out of your way to watch, read, or buy; or is it a constant thing that you enjoy on a constant basis?

(Sorry if this sort of topic has been done before, or in the wrong place... I searched and couldn't find any, and I thought why not make it in this subforum... If it's better in General Discussion, then some mod feel free to move it.)

Last edited by thevil1; 2010-10-03 at 20:45.
thevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 22:21   Link #2
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Hm... My first anime would be Doraemon, introduced by my grandmother. Although I watched the cantonese dub lol. Then came a general interest from just watching the usual Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Digimon on television.

I was probably properly introduced to anime around 9 years old when my uncle showed me the first ten episodes of Naruto when it newly became an anime. It was just Naruto for a while. I started to read Naruto manga as well. Then I moved onto Death Note, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist etc. (it felt a bit odd watching Elfen Lied during middle school years). It wasn't until I saw some Makoto Shinkai films that I actually started to do some research on anime and start liking it more seriously.

I wish I could just watch all the anime on my to-watch list... If it weren't for so many other activities, I could just sit there and marathon those 20 series' xD

I'm probably averaging about one episode of anime every two days.
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 00:30   Link #3
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
The experience has been great, since I make sure to watch an ep of whatever Anime I'm on everyday.
How I got into it: I used to watch Speed Racer, Pokemon, and DBZ when I was a toddler, so technically, I've always watched Anime. The show that I recognized as an Anime was Witch Hunter Robin. That show basically made me a fan.
Alex Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 01:10   Link #4
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

hmm.. How I got into anime: DBZ Then I got into Sailormoon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon
My experience so far with it is pretty good.
Also I am pretty much average, there are times when I will do nothing but watch/read anime/manga and times when I will be to busy
EnchantingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 05:30   Link #5
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

I would say that the first anime that I started and finished all by myself with out watching it with someone else was Noir... It took a while before I really got into anime, before that I was with the "bad" crowd and always said anime was for "losers". (I strongly disagree now..)

I made myself my own list of anime stuff I've watched... There may be more that I'm forgetting about, but I don't think so... You can see that list here. (if the link doesn't work let me know so I can fix it... I have no idea how pastbin works)
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=75MQEhK9
Old 2010-10-04, 21:37   Link #6
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

My experience so far awesome cant get enough and how I got into anime Iria on sci-fi anime week about 20 or so years back I so miss a full week of nothing but anime movies on TV
Old 2010-10-04, 21:41   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
My friend in high school showed me a clip of Naruto and the rest was history. I never considered the anime I watched before that (Pokemon, etc...), so yeah.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 21:51   Link #8
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Excluding super robot shows, dragon ball, sailor moon, etc that I used to watch as a kid, the Evangelion CD (first anime I watched in japanese, not dub) set that my friend lent me during middle school did the trick for me. Though I wouldn't readily have access to anime until senior of highschool when I *finally* moved up from dial-up to cable. I remember being soo happy
Old 2010-10-04, 22:09   Link #9
Lost Cause

My husband (then boyfriend) got me into ANIME with EVA. And I've been hooked on it ever since! For the most part I've enjoyed myself, but only just recently have I started to suffer from burnout. I guess I'm waiting for something original to come out!
I am looking forward to seeing 'High School of the Dead' though!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 22:26   Link #10
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Watching Pokemon, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star and other shows on Cartoon Network as a kid.
Old 2010-10-04, 23:41   Link #11
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

The first time I ever heard about anime, (didn't know it at the time) was Pokemon. I knew a lot of people who where heavily into the trading cards, but I had no interest in that stuff. The first episode of an anime I watched was Yu-Gi-Oh at a friend's house. I thought that was even worse, and totally did not understand it and found it completely and utterly stupid. I would have never guessed that anime would become such a big impact on my current life. I've learned to watch, and appreciate anime for it's value and not it's appearance. I feel that many people make that mistake.
Old 2010-10-05, 02:01   Link #12
sunnygrg

My first was Cardcaptors Sakura and I got so obsessed that I bought all the individual DVDs.
sunnygrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 02:55   Link #13
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
My first anime was Lucky Star .. to be honest, I can't remember for life why I picked it up. All I know is that a forum completely unrelated to anime, had an user with Av/Sig combo for this series and then for some reason I picked it up. This was only like 2,5 years ago.

The first episode was very boring by the way, but I'm glad I watched further anyway, and although most of the jokes being related to other anime I hadn't obviously seen, I still enjoyed the series overrall. From there on I then just downloaded about any anime and slowly found my favourite genres and stuff.

( Ok technically my first anime was Pokemon and all those but at the time, I didn't know they were from Japan or that they were anime.. so yeah ).

And yeah.. anime is pretty constant thing for me. I watch it daily, as long as there is new episode out. By now I've probably seen all series that could interest me in the slightest so all I can do now is watch the weekly airing shows. Sometimes I rewatch shows and might have even huge marathons ( full 26 ep seasons etc. ) .. so yeah I guess I'm pretty addicted.. and I don't really have anything better to do either.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:49   Link #14
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I would watch DBZ, Cardcaptors, Digimon and such when I was young. I didn't know what anime was at the time watching those shows until I started watching Inuyasha, did some research, found out what all these shows were and then the rest is history.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 15:56   Link #15
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Lets see my anime watching began with pokemon or digimon[I think, may have seen something before it but can't remember] when I was a lot younger, and from their generally watched shows that aired in the USA with a few exceptions.

Some time in high school I watched "The Twelve Kingdoms" as the first anime I ever saw subbed due to friend wanting me to watch it, which lead me to gradually watching more series sub series until I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last year[about 1.5 years ago now] at which point I become vastly more interested in an different type anime, and so I've watched lot more since then; also having joined anime club/group few months later probably helped . And so now it's something I generally enjoy at least on a weekly rate now, sometimes daily since I watch airing series that interest me as well still trying to watch a lot of finished series I want to watch.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 16:17   Link #16
Cellatore
Super Lurker

I first got into anime when I watched CardCaptor Sakura when I was much younger, I went onto Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! The very generic path most people took.
Cellatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 16:32   Link #17
Haladflire65
*Artist

I watched Pokemon when I was a kid but that's about it. I didn't have any interest in anime until I was in middle school, when I lived in Tokyo. The anime airing on tv every day at prime time got me curious; my very first properly watched one was Soul Eater, back when it was airing. And then I started with Fullmetal Alchemist the manga, then FMA: B, and my list grew from there. I picked out only very specific animes to watch so there aren't that many on my watched list, but I think that suits me But now I'm on a bit of a hiatus, attempting to not watch any more because of how distracting anime was >.<
Old 2010-10-05, 16:45   Link #18
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Technically my first anime was Maya the Bee however i didnt realize it was anime till I watched Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) in '01 & in fact I was watching not only what Toonami & Kid's WB was offering but I was watching Titles like Biohunter , NGE , Baldios & Hajime no Ippo around 3rd grade , I read about One Piece in an Anime Magazine before it got popular around here , over here in the states , in fact in Jr High I would skip lunch to steal a VHS/dvd player attached to a TV to Watch Kaju & Anime the music room w/ some friends

08th MS Team & Dragonar are still tops (mechawise)

Last edited by Dragonar Fan; 2010-10-05 at 16:50. Reason: I miss Takeyuki Kanda's Directing *sob*
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 18:07   Link #19
Qikz

The first anime I actually watched was a hentai (that's if you don't count Pokemon as I've been watching that since I was 10, but I didn't know it was an anime back then), then I didn't watch any real anime until I watched .hack//legend of twilight and started watching Lucky Star. I got about 4 episodes in, before I had a problem with my internet and didn't download the rest of it.

Cue me about 2 years later, about 7 months ago or something now, suddenly realising what I'd been missing out on, and that's where I am now. I've got into collecting figures and watching series as they air. I mainly came back to anime when I realised it might help me learn Japanese. I just wish I'd of started learning Japanese a few years back when I origionally thought of the idea. Silly younger me.

Either way, yeah. I'm thinking about starting to try and translate/read my way through manga that I'll buy, since I really want to own a copy of the K-ON Manga books as well as Highschool of the Dead. I'll keep on watching new anime as it comes out as I'm just in love with anime again.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 20:54   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As a child in the '60s, I had the "Astroboy/Gigantor/SpeedRacer/Ultraman" experience but then ignored the genre until my two sons went Pokemon-crazy in the early 90s. Both experiences were purely "western-mangled-dubs" and left me thinking anime was 100% "explosions/violence/boobs/testosterone-crap".

Around the end of 2000 I started reading Megatokyo. The author kept talking about these drama, romances, and comedies in anime&manga. Finally, I bit the bullet on a few of his recommendations and got hooked. Wow... animated works steeped in Japanese culture with plots that didn't assume you were an over-caffeinated ADHD pre-adolescent male. I went through much of the usual stuff and will at least give any sub-genre a try. Every genre has a gem or two I've liked but I definitely prefer seinen romance with a comedic edge. Right behind that are 4-koma comedies. OTOH, things as diverse as Eve no Jikan, Kurozuka, Katanagatari, Gurren Lagann, etc have also gotten high marks from me.

I collect figures though it is a case of buying when available and then reselling most of them later. This intersects with my general studies and interests in Japanese culture and language as my wife and her family is Japanese.