AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-20, 01:09   Link #1
NightSamurai

Bitter Protagonist

Looking for anime/manga with a bitter main character. Someone who has endured a lot of bad things and is just fed up. Plus if they are angry at the world and out for revenge. They can start out that way or grow to be that way over the series, either is fine with me.

Last edited by NightSamurai; 2011-08-20 at 01:20.
Old 2011-08-20, 01:56   Link #2
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Early on the main character from Texhnolyze starts that way but a few early episodes may bore you but it's worth paying for.

Berserk is exactly like your description. Claymore and Shigurui are like that too. And I haven't finish reading it but Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is right up your alley.
Old 2011-08-20, 19:40   Link #3
devildog23
Summerlurking

FLCL has a bitter and cynical lead who is going through puberty and many other confusing things. With comedy and action, this 6 episode OVA is a great coming of age story.

Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion is extremely bitter throughout almost the entire series, to a point where you no longer feel sorry for him. I'm sure you have heard the bad things about him if you are an anime fan.

Welcome to the NHK
Old 2011-08-20, 23:39   Link #4
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Hmm, Sousuke Sagara could be described as bitter at times.

I remember he was especially angry during the events of The Second Raid.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-08-21, 01:41   Link #5
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Darker Than Black. Hei is very bitter whenever he's not in his "innocent college student defiantly not in black ops" mode (Which is only about 20% of the time). He's bitter because his agency makes no secret that it'll kill him if he messes up badly on a mission, his sister is missing and he has no idea what happened to her, everyone him like a monster whenever they find out about his contractor status, and just about everyone he cares for ends up dying.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2011-08-22, 23:13   Link #6
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
Black Cat
The main character train Heartnet having witnessed the death of his first love by a fellow assassin, Creed Diskenth, he now strives at nothing to kill the man. At first, he is ruthless, killing any in his way, later on he develops a softer side, except when face to face with Creed.

Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler)

Ciel Phantomhive had witnessed the death of his parents at a young age as he watched his home burn down. Shortly after, he was tortured until he made a pact with the demon Sebastian, who became his butler. As the mansion was recreated, Ciel still held a thorn in his heart, wishing vengeance against the one who had destroyed his once peaceful life, using the remarkable butler to exact his vengeance on those who got in his way.

Shikabane Hime

Ouri is an orphan who was raised by Keisei, a man he considers to be his older brother. One night, Ouri finds a strange wounded girl in the temple of the orphanage. Mistaking her lifeless body as dead, he watched as she stirred, not realizing he had been drawn into the world of Shikabane, corpses who have come back, fueled by their dying regrets. The girl is of a Shikabane Hime, one who hunts Shikabane in the hopes of achieving salvation and setting her regrets aside so she can rest in heaven.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:42   Link #7
ArrowSmith

Koi Kaze - Koushiri is just about the most realistic portrayal of bitterness I've seen in anime without the stupid fantasy elements.
Old 2011-08-24, 13:00   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Natsume's Book of Friends, but he's still a nice guy.

There's also:
Ano Hana - Due to a childhood friends death which broke apart a childhood group
Angel Beats - Bitter because of their unfair lives, they rebel against God in the afterlife for giving them such crappy lives.
Clannad - Crappy dad ruined his life.
Oujisan no Lamp - Failing buisness because of advancement in technology
Madoka Magica - It's a spoiler.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-08-24 at 15:15.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:21   Link #9
NightSamurai

Thanks for all the suggestions, finished both seasons of Full Metal Panic and his attitude towards the end of Second Raid was just what I was looking for (until it went back into the whole tsundere comedy thing). I also watched Madoka Magica, Koi Kaze and Shigurui and all were exactly what I was looking for. Please keep em coming folks!
Old 2011-09-02, 18:44   Link #10
myopius

The manga (not the anime) of Kare Kano has a bitter main character:
Spoiler for Identity of that character:

You don't see it until more than halfway through the manga, but in my opinion the level of bitterness is first-class--no, I want to say SS class. Plenty of shoujo manga have characters with dark sides (Fruits Basket, Gakuen Alice) but they are all side characters and treated the darkness as a gimmick that you expect the character to overcome once a little love gets sent their way, but Kare Kano has the real deal. All right, done hyping what happens to be my favorite manga.

For a suggestion that probably seems more realistic to you, try Akira. It's a futuristic sci-fi movie set in Tokyo with a hardcore delinquent protagonist, lots of violence; both the protagonist and his friend (the two main characters) have a huge amount of bitterness, pretty much rolling in it, and they express it while yelling each other's names during some epic scenes.

Another I haven't seen mentioned is Monster, but it may not be what you're looking for because I don't think the word "anger" exactly applies to the doctor. The protagonist's circumstances are comparable to those of Guts from Berserk. Try watching it if you run out of things. Monster is a manga that was fully adapted into an anime, both superb.
Old 2011-09-02, 22:59   Link #11
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSamurai View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, finished both seasons of Full Metal Panic and his attitude towards the end of Second Raid was just what I was looking for (until it went back into the whole tsundere comedy thing). I also watched Madoka Magica, Koi Kaze and Shigurui and all were exactly what I was looking for. Please keep em coming folks!
I'll also recommend Clannad again, particularly during After Story.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-09-03, 00:24   Link #12
ArrowSmith

How about Kanae from 5cm per Second?
Old 2011-09-03, 13:06   Link #13
Eragon
Still Alive

Maybe you can try GunXSword.
Old 2011-09-03, 15:13   Link #14
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Higurashi, but it takes a while to figure out who the protagonist actually is though. :X

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-04, 10:01   Link #15
kitten320

Clare from Claymore was out for revenge, it was her main gole and she didn't care much about anything else.

Main hero in Code Geass was out for revenge and could be called anti hero.

Lucy from Elfen Lied was fed up with everyone and went on killing rempage.

Yomi from Ga-Rei Zero had suffered a lot, her fate was not the best and she also went for revenge.

Mai from Mai HiME was a nice, friendly girl but because of some future events, she went bersek at one point.

Zwei from Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom had changed back and forth several times. He was forced to become a assasin and was working together with anotther assasin like him. He had turned against organization several times. However, the best example from series is Drei who appears later in the series but she fully meets the bill.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin has several main characters who were imprisoned and their life was not a candy.

Suigintou from Rozen Maiden is an antogoist but appers quiet often and she is quiet bitter.
Old 2011-09-04, 11:57   Link #16
Afterstep
Big Bucks, No Whammies

Not exactly the best anime, but Kazuma in Kaze no Stigma would probably qualify. He was disowned by his family, and lost the love of his life to being a human sacrifice.
Old 2011-09-04, 16:22   Link #17
mrShady

Tekkaman blade: Main character has a lot to be bitter about.

Kara no Kyoukai
: A certain eye catching action of the main says a lot.

Blood+: A lot of ups and downs, but may have enough bitterness to satisfy you.
Old 2011-09-12, 16:33   Link #18
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I'd recommend Shigofumi. Not just the main character, but many characters throughout the show become bitter and seek revenge (through a unique form). The main character's story doesn't come clear until later, but it's worth watching, and it isn't very long (12 episodes).
Old 2011-10-26, 23:07   Link #19
sweetsparkle

Sae from Peach Girl?

A peach blossom means 'I am your slave'. ~Kairi Okayasu 岡安 浬
Old 2011-10-27, 01:37   Link #20
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Fullmetal Alchemist - Edward blames his father for not being there when his mother died, and hates him dearly for that.

Oreimo - Brother has a dysfunctional relationship with his younger sister. Despite the verbal and psychical abuse he still continues to help her with her problems.

Seikon no Qwasar - Boy was trained by a secret organization and nearly died from the training he had to go through. His adopted sister gave him a reason to live, but she was killed right in front of him and carries the scar of his sister figure.