AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-30, 13:11   Link #41
randomlurker123
Stalker 101

firefox doesn't get resource hoggie (is there such a word? lol) until i install quite a few extensions

if i leave it on overnite or on several days (i'm lazy , i dun bookmark and close the brower , i jus minimise it and get back to it later heh) i'm kinda amaze how much resource (100-250,000 k mem usage ) it's using whereas opera is jus 45-80,000k normally
Old 2006-06-30, 15:38   Link #42
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Strange how I, too, can testify that Opera has never breached the 100k barrier while I've seen firefox do that in more than one occassions, and I'm using Opera the same way I used firefox.
Old 2006-06-30, 16:14   Link #43
aperson

Using both browsers simultaneously for a few hours (switching between both often) and opening at least 5 tabs each and going to many sites, both browsers took up the same amount of memory (around 80K).

And only 2 of my frequently visited pages did not work properly in Opera.

Other than that, Opera is a really good browser and I would use it more if I was more accustomed to the interface (knowing where things are and what I can do).

For now, I'll still use Firefox as my main browser and use Opera occasionally. Given time, I'll have an understanding of both browser's limitations and capabilities to make another judgement.
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 17:51   Link #44
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Okay, about the "Firefox going really high" thing... It's a memory leak. Leave Firefox running long enough and it starts taking lots of memory. However, restarting Firefox should fix the problem. Work on fixing this memory leak is underway.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 03:27   Link #45
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Yes, I KNOW it's memory leak, but that's still a browser problem. They supposedly fixed that in previous versions but it still leaks. If they fix it, I'll check again.
Old 2006-07-10, 05:54   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Here's a tip for Opera 9. If, like me, you miss the super-fast history navigation of previous versions, you can restore that behavior with a simple settings change. Just go to User Prefs History Navigation Mode and set it to 3. (Make sure you click Save at the bottom of the preferences list.)

You can find details about this and the resons for it on Opera's website at JavaScript and History Navigation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 06:09   Link #47
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, it has its problems. There are various sites that are not displayed correctly or don't function as they should, but I hope it'll get fixed eventually cause I have to open those sites with Firefox.
Old 2006-07-10, 06:11   Link #48
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I can't deny that. I feel that 9.0 was released prematurely to fulfill their predetermined marketing schedule. Fortunately the current weekly build for 9.01 is fixing many of those problems, but it is a shame that they need a bugfix release.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-07-10, 06:21   Link #49
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, it's still my default browser, it's got decent memory usage, no noticeable memory leak, better tab performance and (I think) better intergrated download manager (yes yes for those big files that don't let download managers catch, no file broke while I've been using Opera). Overall it's better than Firefox I think, but they have some stuff to fix.
Old 2006-07-10, 12:26   Link #50
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

To people who are criticizing Opera for having a larger memory footprint, I ask a question: how many extensions are loaded in your Firefox application? I'm not saying more is better, but you cannot deny defects are more likely to show up when you plug extensions.

Ergo I have to agree with someone above, it really is a matter of <strike>test</strike> taste, whether you want everything packed conveniently or try to have the lowest common denominator *and* make users happy with the feature set.

> Re: IE betas
Change for the best? You can't say they're not trying to make up for years of ignoring criticisms (e.g. not supporting alpha PNG, uncompliant CSS support)

Last edited by Rasqual Twilight; 2006-07-10 at 12:27. Reason: typo
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 17:54   Link #51
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I can't open some pages correctly in Opera that I can in Mozilla Firefox despite it being the leading industry-standards browser, or whatever. I'm pretty sure it was not coding for IE alone, because it was a theme I was planning to use in my blog that didn't open well. Hey, now that I think of it, only Opera can't open those themes well. I still use it, though.

I can live without Opera, but I can't live without Firefox. I like Opera for its little things, lol.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 12:52   Link #52
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I want to open the IRC links by using Mirc instead of the built in default application in the browser. For the life of me, I just can't identify the MIME or the extension for it. Some help would be much appreciated.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 13:45   Link #53
aperson

Have you tried:
Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Programs->Add
Then type in irc for protocol and select Open with other application and browse for mirc.
Old 2006-07-19, 13:50   Link #54
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson
Have you tried:
Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Programs->Add
Then type in irc for protocol and select Open with other application and browse for mirc.
Yes, but with no result. Then I figured since Opera 9 has a built in application to handle IRC, I might need to disable it from there. The problem is I simply can't find the MIME handle for it.
Old 2006-07-19, 13:57   Link #55
aperson

Weird. It worked for me, and I didn't change anything else from the default settings.
Old 2006-07-20, 01:20   Link #56
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

You're looking in the wrong place. Irc isn't a MIME type. You need to go to:
Preferences -> Advanced -> Programs

Then create an entry for the irc protocol.

Old 2006-08-03, 18:06   Link #57
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
New version of Opera out today. 9.01
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 15:08   Link #58
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The update fixed most of the problems I had. Only minor thing is that opening IRC link for any server from an website opens Mirc separately for each and every channel/server. For example, if the Mirc is already opened and I clicked a link for #lunaranime@irc.rizon.com, Opera launches Mirc once more to go to that channel. Firefox on the other hand will recognize and use the already launched Mirc and will open the channel from there after asking as shown in the following: (click on it)

Old 2006-08-20, 20:13   Link #59
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Never mind.

I was mistaken about somthing.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 08:01   Link #60
declan
Paranoid Android

I've been using Opera for a while and I find it a really good browser, even though it needs some time to get used to it.. One more thing. If you edit a bookmark's property, you can add it as a web panel, i.e. get it to appear permanently in the panel bar. So if you've got a widescreen monitor, you can have it appear next to whatever window your viewing at anytime... It's a pretty useful thing for certain websites like news or even animesuki... I know you can use RSS feeds but it doesn't hurt to have more options no?

Anyway thanks for the many opera tips in this thread!
declan is offline   Reply With Quote