Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-22, 08:00   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
hardisc question

well basicly we have one harddisc in our pc, but my dad split it up in windows so that on one he can put windows and on the other documents, games etc. so if something woul happen, virus infection etc. it would only effect one disc and the documents on the other would stay in tact

well the bad thing is, the smaller disc he made for windows is soo small that windows and maybe one game if lucky fits on it, while our 2nd more larger disc can hold 2 games, programs etc. but because the prograns use memmory of our C:/ as we call it, we are only limited to a few things at a time

well my dad is a world of warcraft player, i play it myself as well, but recently ive been seeing more interesting games on the market thus i decided to buy Sims 2, i wanted to install it seeing that we have the needed disc space and put in the cd to install.. then it starts wyning about it needing atleased 324 MB disc space from our small C:/ disc.. thus the trouble began.. i decided to take down all not neccesary programs windows installed on the disc that i hardly use.. space cleaned up... 8 mb.. i was like o.o because i have absolutely nothing standing on that disc and i cant remove any more programs because theyre neccersary, right now im doing a fragment thingy.. i dont know the english name for it since my language pack is dutch, .. now i have 300 mb.. ooh jippie.... what an acomplisment..

but basicly i was wondering is it possible to move memmory from our larger D:/ to our small C:/ to pimp up its preformance a bit, cause i cant play anything but wow atm and that sucks.. specially if youve been playing it for the past 2 years and slowlly youre getting sick of it.. and worst of all is the new expasion pack will be coming out but because of the small C:/ disc we got it wont be possible to even install that expansion.. and im sure my dads gonna blame it on me again because hes no tech wiz ( as already seen from his decision of the size of our C:/ disc) and thinks i basicly download and put tons of things on C:/

heres my total space on both discs

C;/ - 9.75 GB (has 295 mb left *cry)

D:/ - 64.7 GB ( and has over 28 gb space left)

some people might think that best thing would be to buy a new hard disc or pc, i did confront my dad about it.. but simply he never ordered the new disc or graphics card ive been wyning about.. he simply waves it off as something simple that can be solved the next day and before you kow it a week has gone by.. and then a month.. i myself do not have the finaces for this and i am not the one to make a desicion, the pc belongs to ym dad and ive had trouble before by redoing settings or adding something new, basicly he started yelling at me that i try to make the pc my own property while he was still the one that bought it

if someone could help me out ont his it would be great, atleased i'd be able to play my own game sinstead of being stuck int he land of Azeroth while not even wanting to be there anymore... also im no wiz kid either, i have a basic knowledge about omputer stuff
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 08:36   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
but basicly i was wondering is it possible to move memmory from our larger D:/ to our small C:/ to pimp up its preformance a bit, ...
On a NTFS file system basically yes. It is restricted however by hardware and some other software related stuff (e.g. you cannot merge two hdds to represent one virtual drive, you cannot alter the system partition or any active flagged partitions)

Quote:

heres my total space on both discs

C;/ - 9.75 GB (has 295 mb left *cry)

D:/ - 64.7 GB ( and has over 28 gb space left)

Why don't you install the games on the D: drive? its not invisible to to either copy of Windows no?
You could try to locate the pagefile.sys on D: too (see control panel->system->extended (or so Erweitert in german)->system performance->extended->virtual memory (or maybe it is labeled slightly different in your Windows...)
Old 2006-12-22, 08:43   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post

Why don't you install the games on the D: drive? its not invisible to to either copy of Windows no?
not sure what you mean by this, but i do installt he games (in this case game) on D:/ but it needs memory from our main disc to run the program which is our C:/, it always stores a bit of data on the main disc as well

Quote:
You could try to locate the pagefile.sys on D: too (see control panel->system->extended (or so Erweitert in german)->system performance->extended->virtual memory (or maybe it is labeled slightly different in your Windows...)
as for this i know how to get to that menu but then im stuck with the virtual memory part, it only shows a list of my settings for chosing a standar program for e-mail, java, web browser etc. the only thing that comes near as i would translate is this: chose a virtual standard machine for java and its standing on useage of my standard expresmessage program :S whatever that may mean
Old 2006-12-22, 09:06   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
not sure what you mean by this, but i do installt he games (in this case game) on D:/ but it needs memory from our main disc to run the program which is our C:/, it always stores a bit of data on the main disc as well
Yes usually in the documents and settings folder (because for savegames player profiles and stuff), look inside this folder and search for old unused savegames or othe unimportant old data you do not need anymore (you can tell the size a folder uses on disk by its properties)

Quote:
as for this i know how to get to that menu but then im stuck with the virtual memory part, it only shows a list of my settings for chosing a standar program for e-mail, java, web browser etc. the only thing that comes near as i would translate is this: chose a virtual standard machine for java and its standing on useage of my standard expresmessage program :S whatever that may mean
I had something different in mind...

on my system it looks like this:

Old 2006-12-22, 09:43   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Yes usually in the documents and settings folder (because for savegames player profiles and stuff), look inside this folder and search for old unused savegames or othe unimportant old data you do not need anymore (you can tell the size a folder uses on disk by its properties)

I had something different in mind...

on my system it looks like this:

i got to that point now then, i was in that menu before but i didnt know what to do, cause if i mess up its like wham trouble banging on my front door

when in that menu what do i do next?
do i put it on that keine aulagerunsdatei setting?

edit and yes i checked documents and settings, no data of saves or anything.. only one of wow but if i were to delete it the game wouldnt run anymore
Old 2006-12-22, 10:27   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

The 2 drives should be listed there. Usually on the C: drive a certain amount of space is reserved. Now you need to assign the same space on the D: drive. Then you go to the C: drive again and set it to "keine aulagerunsdatei", it requires a restart then.

If the Auslagerungsdatei is already on drive D: and not on C: then you cannot get more space with this method. You maybe want to look for temp folders on the C: drive too (especially those browser related caches often use much space (set them in the browser options to a rather small size, then empty the caches with the according browser commands)
Old 2006-12-22, 10:47   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

im not sure what you mean by this but, seeing from the screenie you made, if the lower one was C:/ and the above D:/ i should have the number behind the G:/ standing at my D:/ instead of my C:/ and put my C:/ aftrwards on the keine aulagerunsdatei? basicly it shoudl be the other way around?

heres a screenie of how it looks like at the moment, both when selected C:/ and the other selected at D:/

Old 2006-12-22, 12:35   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

yes that is right.

go to the D:

select "Aangepaste grootte" there
and type in the same as is in C:
then click Instellen

now go to C:

select Geen wisselbestand there
click Instellen

click okay -> reboot
Old 2006-12-22, 14:01   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

yay, ive done what youve said and thank you for the help ^^
but one more thing.. what did i actually change in my settings now then, cause im still a little confussed about that, whats happening now?
Old 2006-12-22, 14:30   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

there is a file called pagefile.sys. All the data that doesn't fit into the memory (RAM) is written to there. For example, if you start a game, you do not need all those informations of your desktop in the RAM (because you need as much as possible RAM for your game), so Windows copies it temporarily on the hard drives pagefile.sys. If you edn the game it writes the data back into the memory (RAM).

This file has (in your case) a size of 768-1536 MB (so minimum is 768MB). Those 768 are always taken by Windows. Now (according to my advice) you just placed said pagefile.sys on the D: drive instead of the C: drive. Thats all.
Old 2006-12-22, 14:38   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
there is a file called pagefile.sys. All the data that doesn't fit into the memory (RAM) is written to there. For example, if you start a game, you do not need all those informations of your desktop in the RAM (because you need as much as possible RAM for your game), so Windows copies it temporarily on the hard drives pagefile.sys. If you edn the game it writes the data back into the memory (RAM).

This file has (in your case) a size of 768-1536 MB (so minimum is 768MB). Those 768 are always taken by Windows. Now (according to my advice) you just placed said pagefile.sys on the D: drive instead of the C: drive. Thats all.
well it works that for sure, i got over 1gb space left now on my C:/ and finally i can play SIms 2 HOORA! youre an angel ^^ thank you!
Old 2006-12-22, 19:04   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Dont know If this helps I do this for my pc . Well I dont install any programs in C: at all . I have seprate 4 gb drive for that I install all ( literally all ) my programs in that . That way I have the freedom to tinker with my virtual memory settings of C: Drive without bothering about disk space.

Also I intsall games in a diffrent drive and for that drive I make it a point to keep my Virtual memory high for that perticular drive . If you are palnning to do so with your drive D: ( 64.7 GB ) partition it further I would reccomend Partition Magic well that software allow you to partition an already exsisting drive without formating it and keeping Data intact
Old 2006-12-23, 00:30   Link #13
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Why not Partion Magic... ?
I love that program!
Resize the partitions is a breeze with that program.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 00:33   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
I would reccomend Partition Magic well that software allow you to partition an already exsisting drive without formating it and keeping Data intact
I reccomended Partion Magic =]
Old 2006-12-23, 05:11   Link #15
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Dont know If this helps I do this for my pc . Well I dont install any programs in C: at all . I have seprate 4 gb drive for that I install all ( literally all ) my programs in that . That way I have the freedom to tinker with my virtual memory settings of C: Drive without bothering about disk space.

Also I intsall games in a diffrent drive and for that drive I make it a point to keep my Virtual memory high for that perticular drive . If you are palnning to do so with your drive D: ( 64.7 GB ) partition it further I would reccomend Partition Magic well that software allow you to partition an already exsisting drive without formating it and keeping Data intact
im a bit confussed now.. whatd oes this Partition Magic do then
Old 2006-12-23, 05:53   Link #16
Sides

It allows you to change the size of an existing partition,
... without much hassel (don't want to go into details ^^).
Technically you already have 2 partition, btw.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 10:57   Link #17
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
It allows you to change the size of an existing partition,
... without much hassel (don't want to go into details ^^).
Technically you already have 2 partition, btw.
aaah i see, with partition you h\mean like my C:/ and D:/
Old 2006-12-23, 12:59   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
aaah i see, with partition you h\mean like my C:/ and D:/
Partitioning is used to split up the space on a harddisk (for various reasons). If C: and D: are two partitions on the same physical harddrive, you can use Partition Magic to resize the partitions without losing their contents (normal Window partition tools would wipe the contents of a partition). If C: and D: are in fact two physical hard drives, then there are no partitions, and thus using Partition Magic will not be possible.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 05:57   Link #19
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
If C: and D: are in fact two physical hard drives, then there are no partitions, and thus using Partition Magic will not be possible.
This is incorrect.

There ARE still partitions even in this setup. You MUST partition a hard drive in order to even use it. It's just that in this case, those partitions number one per device and fill the entire device. The partition table layout and partition usage is no different whether it's one that fills the entire device or as many as the OS and partition table formats can allow.

That said, you most assuredly CAN use PQMagic The biggest prerequisite is available disk space in your present drive's/drives' partition(s).

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote