AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-05-26, 05:40   Link #1
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun

Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun

Well there's nine chapters scanalated and it's probably one of the best shojo manga Ive read in a while.

Quote:
Ever since he was involved in a fight on the first day of school, Yoshida-san, who sits in the seat next to me, hasn't come to school even once. I only cared about my grades and my future, but, by chance, he befriends me so that I can bring him his homework. I became kinder to him when I learned of his innocence, but will he now confess to me as well...?! From MAL
I'm actually quite surprised there's no thread for this yet. It's so awesome that everybody should be all over this. It's like a half breed between Yankee-kun to Megane chan and Kare Kano yet manages to still be very refreshing.

Last edited by ahelo; 2012-05-22 at 10:42.
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 05:50   Link #2
Excorsism

One month old with no responses!

Well, having read up to chapter 10, Shizuku is a really, admirable female protagonist that I really adore. If there's one thing I could say that's wrong with most shoujo mangas, it would be girls who obsess over the word "love" and "like" for a billion chapters. Such a refreshing change.

At the same time, I think she would be the perfect complement for Haru and their interactions are ridiculously cute.

I'm looking forward to what role the rich, condescending guy will take... hm.

On that note, the art in this manga is excellent.
Old 2011-10-09, 14:41   Link #3
Sol Falling

Have finished reading the first chapter just now. The art is indeed perfect, and the characters are cute. At the moment, I am not even sure if I could qualify the atmosphere of this manga as particularly "shoujo". If it weren't for that, though, I would definitely toss this into my "best shoujo" list for being one of the most enjoyable stories I've found from the genre in ages.

Really hyped for the rest now. I'll see if I have anything else to add after I catch up to what is now ch. 13.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 14:56   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^I imagine you'll have plenty.

Shizuku, coolly and unintentionally make boys fall for her since 20XX!

Haru better step up and make his intentions clear. Well, clearer. I can understand his limbo confusion a bit though, if she keeps giving him such mixed signals.

P.S. I keep feeling sorry for her friend, feeling neglected all the time.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 02:49   Link #5
Sol Falling

As promised, then, some further commentary. Nice 40-page chapters meant 13 of them went a fair bit further than I thought.

Shizuku's cool face and rationality are amazing. There are times when her control impresses even me. Learning impartiality, consideration for others, and honesty with ones' feelings from a 15 yr old shoujo heroine? Damn, have we got something special here.

The chapters are also so dense and character driven. Man, sometimes the conversations are so absurd and disjointed as if the characters are talking over each other and just ranting in a way that could only ever make sense to themselves personally, and yet somehow in the end they actually understand each other and the exchange ends with something meaningful having been said. The character development and interactions, while sometimes repeating and going back over themselves, could not be more consistent, brilliant, and clear.

All of the characters seem to have unexplored depth and further roles in the story. I am deeply interested in finding out more about Natsume/Asako myself.

I think the way Shizuku makes the new/rich guy fall in love with her is really interesting. He's so proud, thinking of himself as smart and better off (in real life terms) than anybody around him. So he speaks condescendingly to Shizuku, who is changing herself, and she actually listens to him. And, in watching her face her feelings and continue stepping forward, Yamaken realizes that he doesn't really practice what he preaches. It is a fascinating contrast how Haru stands above Shizuku in grades, Shizuku just behind him, and Yamaken below. However much more correct he (Yamaken) might actually be, it is the man ahead of her that opened Shizuku's eyes and whom she fell for. That is something Yamaken will have to learn and take away.

I think both Haru and Shizuku themselves have grown and can take care of themself. They don't need love, so they can step away without falling to pieces. For the moment, though, they are slowly learning about each other. Without outside factors, I would've thought that should be enough.

Anyway, I think the comparison of Shizuku with Maka Albarn also has real merit. They are deeply similar, lol. Although there are divergent directions in each story's focus and ongoing development, I love what Shizuku and Maka each represent as shoujo and shounen protagonists.
Old 2011-10-10, 03:42   Link #6
Johnny
Working the bags...

Yeah this one is a keeper. The author is juggling all the characters really well and like you pointed out that haven't been fully explored yet. Granted Haru and Shizuku are the ones that's basically in the limelight, but the others are giving their time to shine...

Hell, I don't even mind Yamaken one bit even though he's the so called love rival. He's not the typical overbearing jerk as most generic rivals tend to be. The later chapters we even get a play by play POV from him that's just downright hilarious...

We do get a glimpse of Shizuku later on as to how she became a studyholic, but Haru's is still somewhat of a mystery that I'm eager to see...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:55   Link #7
Excorsism

Slow releases are slow!

Having read the current chapters now and the summaries of to chapter 28 (where are you Japanese raws?), the character development is progressing rather smoothly.

Spoiler for Chapters 17-28:

I should also note that Asako is extremely pretty. Sasayan, how I envy thee.
Old 2011-11-13, 09:34   Link #8
Sol Falling

lol, I was actually thinking the pace of releases was quite fast, having seen 3 chapters in just the last two weeks. It seems like the scanlation group is pretty intent on catching up; the translator for the series has apparently completed the scripts up to 28 already.

Sasayan x Asako does seem like something to watch. The possibility seemed to be obvious from the very beginning, but the emotional development to get there will be quite interesting.

Major plot and/or relational developments seem to have slowed down, but I've enjoyed these last several chapters on just the appeal of the characters.
Old 2011-11-13, 09:44   Link #9
Khalil

A shocking image from chapter 14.

Spoiler for Shizuku:
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 21:42   Link #10
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Sasayan x Asako does seem like something to watch. The possibility seemed to be obvious from the very beginning, but the emotional development to get there will be quite interesting.
Spoiler for Spoiler, maybe:

Last edited by Excorsism; 2011-11-13 at 22:34.
Excorsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 04:20   Link #11
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Natsume is so cuu~te! It's not just that she's pretty, she's hilariously "freestyle" when she's not being burdened by the former fact.

Sad to see the prettiest girl gets ostracized though. Haganai's Sena anyone? Not everyone had the personality (self-confidence, i.e. pride) to deal straight ahead with that stuff. Of course I'm shipping her with Sasayan like the rest of you here. Up to the current scanlated chapter it's interesting how he himself doesn't even really notice how much he's always worrying over her case all the time.

P.S. For some reason Yamaken comes off as really likable, a definite primary love interest material in any other manga. Too bad Shizuku already has Haru.
Old 2011-11-16, 01:25   Link #12
Excorsism

Managed to read through volume 8 which contains chapters 29-32.
Spoiler for 29-32:

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Old 2011-11-16, 02:14   Link #13
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
Spoiler for Thoughts:
Hmm...
Spoiler:
Old 2011-11-19, 15:35   Link #14
Sol Falling

Shizuku is really cute in chapter 18.
Old 2011-12-06, 04:03   Link #15
Excorsism

Spoiler for Chapter 21:
Old 2012-01-06, 04:46   Link #16
Sol Falling

ch. 24 is really good. Like, really good.

I'm kinda uncertain about Shizuku's mom. She's been portrayed as a good person up to this point; and it seems like, by the end of the chapter, she's supposed to be seen as a good person again. But, there are weird little points like I can no longer be sure. The fact that she forgot it was Shizuku's birthday at all, for example. I dunno.
Old 2012-01-25, 17:07   Link #17
Sol Falling

ch. 25. Damn, Shizuku's mom is smokin'. lol, seriously, she's just too hot.

Shizuku and Natsume were both hnnnnngh level this chapter too. Felt like a bit more plot/relationship progression than normal. Really good stuff, for practically all of the characters.
Old 2012-01-25, 18:31   Link #18
Johnny
Working the bags...

If I remember correctly her mother has been away for quite a long time. I wonder why she never visits though? Well you can tell Shizuku doesn't take after her in some aspects, but I can see from the bottom of her face we did get to see she does take after her in the looks department. Plus I agree she is one hot MILF...
Old 2012-02-21, 08:24   Link #19
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Chapter 26 out.

Spoiler for 26:
Old 2012-02-21, 12:23   Link #20
MikiMata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
ch. 24 is really good. Like, really good.

I'm kinda uncertain about Shizuku's mom. She's been portrayed as a good person up to this point; and it seems like, by the end of the chapter, she's supposed to be seen as a good person again. But, there are weird little points like I can no longer be sure. The fact that she forgot it was Shizuku's birthday at all, for example. I dunno.
I agree. It feels like Shizuku's mom is presented as a positive role model and all that, but I think she seems like a pretty crappy mom. Constantly absent, never contacting her child, forgetting important events like birthdays... that is neglect no matter how you slice it. And it had a major effect on Shizuku's personality; she was obviously lonely for her mother a lot as a child. I hope the author explores this more at some point.

I don't really like Micchan - he seems like a cold fish hiding behind a "cool" exterior to me - so I'm glad chapter 26 happened the way it did. But I feel very bad for Natsume. For the first time, she was serious about someone and it ended in quite brutal rejection. Truly heartbreaking.
MikiMata is offline   Reply With Quote