AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-01-03, 00:34   Link #1
SamieltheMDS
Guardian of the "Worlds"

Send a message via AIM to SamieltheMDS Send a message via MSN to SamieltheMDS Send a message via Yahoo to SamieltheMDS
Age of Aincrad

So, who here has heard of Age of Aincrad?

For those that haven’t it is an MMO currently in development that is being based off of Sword Art Online and this thread is for those that would like to discuss the game as such. For those that want to as well you can Google Age of Aincrad and find information on it.

I personally am looking forward to the game regardless of the lengthy wait time (minimum of 3 years guesstimate to around 5 years) as I’m sure it will be quite nice once finished. Other than that I’ve also been checking in a bit with the game’s community as well and even started up my own Guild for it ahead of time but I’ll leave that for your own research should you look into the game yourself.

Regardless let me know what your take is on the game, things you’re looking forward to and etc.
SamieltheMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 03:16   Link #2
Jaden

So it's an indie MMORPG project with no experienced developers on board? My take is that I'm extremely skeptical. The choice of genre, the scope of the project, and the concept are all overdone for a newly founded team's first effort. Also, it has very little chance of getting funded.

I think SAO and Aincrad are poor inspirations for an MMORPG for several reasons:

- SAO is a highly romanticized vision of the MMORPG genre. In reality, the player experience is completely different and people looking for an "SAO-like game" will always be disappointed.

- In 5 years, nobody will care about SAO.

- SAO's gimmick is virtual reality, which does not yet exist in any meaningful shape for gamers.

- Aincrad is a shallow fantasy universe, notable only for the use of nordic mythology (which is a tired trope in the MMORPG genre) and flight-capable PCs (this has been done already in Aion and other games)
Old 2015-01-03, 04:06   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'll have to agree with Jaden, not too hot for an Aincrad MMO. It will be a HUGE dungeon crawler with 10 towns and 100 floors...and if the developing team wants to be faithful to the original, the level gap will be devastating, which would just make grinding all the more tiresome (i.e. being unable to kill anything 2 levels higher than yours, thus swarming the low/mid level floors and having all-out KS wars).

If it turns out to be a VRMMO, however, it should be intriguing...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 04:22   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

From what I've seen of Aincrad in the first season, the main gimmick is that it's a VR game right? Beyond that the setting and everything doesn't really stand out from the tons of other MMOs out there.

Is there even any lore to speak of?

Also being pure melee in a fantasy game is kinda restricting- even Dark Souls lets you have magic/range options as much as the hardcore wants to deny.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 04:24   Link #5
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Honestly I always thought that the game concept of Aincrad was really boring. Find the boss, kill it, go up to the next floor, rinse and repeat 100 times.

It was such a boring concept that the author made the MC finish the game when he was still on floor 75 and nobody really cared about missing the remaining 25.

That apart I am really not expecting this project to reach a conclusion. It is way too ambitious for an indie group.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 04:36   Link #6
Jaden

Oh wait, Aincrad was the 100 floor tower? Sorry, I mistook it for Alfheim.

Actually, I could get behind an action RPG that's about beating 100 increasingly difficult floors, provided that the fighting mechanics were good enough.

That also sounds more doable than a full-fledged MMORPG release. They could release the first floor as a demo to gauge interest, then release subsequent ones as paid expansions if it seems like a good idea to continue development.
Old 2015-01-03, 04:41   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Oh wait, Aincrad was the 100 floor tower? Sorry, I mistook it for Alfheim.
I'm not entirely sure but it seems there will also be Alfheim. Anyway yes Aincrad is the floating tower which later on gets incorporated in the Alfheim world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
That also sounds more doable than a full-fledged MMORPG release. They could release the first floor as a demo to gauge interest, then release subsequent ones as paid expansions if it seems like a good idea to continue development.
They'll have to really downsize the radius of each floor. I don't think any MMORPG to date has as much land area as what Aincrad would have if it was realized.

Old 2015-01-03, 04:49   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Isn't that the point, though? In order to accomodate a 300k player base or so, they'll need a lot of areas. Of course, each floor can have XXX rooms and be an actual maze, but that makes transition for questing that much harder.

Oh, about the skill system: it sucks if they go at it FF2-style, i.e. grind every skill X times to level it up.
Old 2015-01-03, 23:13   Link #9
SamieltheMDS
Guardian of the "Worlds"

Send a message via AIM to SamieltheMDS Send a message via MSN to SamieltheMDS Send a message via Yahoo to SamieltheMDS
Well it is nice to see the discussion going on though I would like to note that through the Forums/Wiki of the game and its Community I do know some things such as things are planned for around 20 floors at initial release and then more floors will come after that (I think it is like 4-5 floors for Alpha and 10 floors for Beta).

Also I take it Kafriel found the skill list on the wiki or something and I think the skill list might be fine since I don't think another system would work that well for this game.

Furthermore last I checked the development team planned on trying to get a demo reel together to get permission for SAO stuff (I'm assuming) and so depending on how that goes there will most likely be changes from that.

Finally things of course could change around a bit but I'm just going off of things I've asked about/heard.
Old 2015-01-04, 01:57   Link #10
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamieltheMDS View Post
Also I take it Kafriel found the skill list on the wiki or something and I think the skill list might be fine since I don't think another system would work that well for this game.
That's the problem. Since it is a game based on SAO it must be consistent with how Aincrad is portrayed in the anime.

But SAO is totally not the kind of game that I would like to play (no magic, no races, no classes, repetitive gameplay, low relevance of teamwork). ALO is noticeably better but still too generic to pique my interest.

Old 2015-01-04, 07:53   Link #11
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

But SAO is totally not the kind of game that I would like to play (no magic, no races, no classes, repetitive gameplay, low relevance of teamwork). ALO is noticeably better but still too generic to pique my interest.
That's it. The whole point of SAO was to be inside the game. The game by itself was kinda boring, or at least it wasn't that well explained in the novel or the anime.

It might become something interesting if there are huge changes each time a floor is conquered... But who will even bother doing a game like that ?
Old 2015-01-04, 07:57   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That being said, has anyone played the SAO Vita games? How did they approach it?

(Dating sim elements aside)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 08:15   Link #13
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

I didn't play the game for very long ( since I don't have the vita, but one of my friend have it ), it was more like an action game rather than a Rpg.
You indeed equip some skill ( 4 of them ), you can make some basic teamplay with your parter but...
That was just hitting the mob, hitting it even more, and after that : Hitting it to fill a gauge for a special and deadly attack.
Since I played for less than a hour I might have missed a lot of things.
I just hope they're not planning to do the same.
Old 2015-01-04, 13:50   Link #14
SamieltheMDS
Guardian of the "Worlds"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlia View Post
I didn't play the game for very long ( since I don't have the vita, but one of my friend have it ), it was more like an action game rather than a Rpg.
You indeed equip some skill ( 4 of them ), you can make some basic teamplay with your parter but...
That was just hitting the mob, hitting it even more, and after that : Hitting it to fill a gauge for a special and deadly attack.
Since I played for less than a hour I might have missed a lot of things.
I just hope they're not planning to do the same.
As far as I know of it shouldn't be and also there should be 2 different servers to play on as well.

The servers being Casual and Hardcore. Hardcore being better in terms of teamwork/teamplay considering you die 3 times and your out and and I think 48 hours to remake the character or you lose your friend's list and Guild (of course you won't get your other stuff back).

Also there will possibly be US and Europe servers for the game.
Old 2015-01-05, 04:52   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Hunter: A Hunter is a player who focuses on the killing other players, with a high Killing and Skinning skill. This player can sell their services or the pelts they gain for their own personal needs or for profit.
This, combined with the death penalty, is going to be hell on Aincrad. Even on the casual server, you lose all your items and col (I assume gear as well), so having legit PKers means being able to suppress any kind of competition...and then sell some gear before you can kill them again :P

Quote:
Hardcore being better in terms of teamwork/teamplay considering you die 3 times and your out and and I think 48 hours to remake the character or you lose your friend's list and Guild (of course you won't get your other stuff back).
So says the wiki. Goes without saying you get de-leveled back to 1. I'm kinda curious about the bosses though, supposedly they have a lot of HP (probably in the millions, eventually) but what if you lag and die in a boss room? Requiring more players to beat in a few hours also means requiring a stable connection for all of them...
Old 2015-01-05, 11:29   Link #16
SamieltheMDS
Guardian of the "Worlds"

Well Kafriel I suppose it would be pretty bad if you lagged especially in a Boss room but then again on just about any game it is a bad thing to lag. Also I would hope the Bosses aren't that high in health as I'm sure it would be bothersome for multiple reasons but I think that those kind of bosses would fit better with a Raid rather than what might be a normal Boss.