AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-24, 02:44   Link #581
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I just moved those last two posts about the Mushishi Movie into a brand new thread. It's about time that topic got it's own thread. Everyone can stop discussing it here and start discussing it in:
Mushishi Live Action Movie
Edit: Just went back and found some other posts to move which were unconnected to discussion of the anime. It's a real thread now.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-10-24 at 03:01.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 13:30   Link #582
Cal-Reflector

Time to see who the true Mushishi fan(atics) are: Name as many of these Mushishi pinup girls as you can.

1-4: Go rewatch the series, worm.
5-8: You're an average Mushi. Rewatch the series to shore up.
9-12: You're a decent Mushi; Shinra offers you home made moonshine.
13-15: You've been traveling with Ginko haven't you?
16~: You're a fanatic, keep on rewatching the series.
Old 2006-11-02, 19:44   Link #583
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but when I was watching the show I really couldn't tell most of the girls apart. Seeing them side by side though, they all look different.

I think a rewatching is in order!
Old 2006-11-03, 15:42   Link #584
Lost

You're not alone, ankoku.. Wow.. I never noticed that there were so many!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 19:03   Link #585
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
You're not alone, ankoku.. Wow.. I never noticed that there were so many!
More than enough for Mushishi to qualify as a bishoujo anime, with Ginko has the King of the Harem.
Old 2006-11-04, 10:30   Link #586
Lost

Actually its a real pity that they dont each appear for more than an episode. Then it'll really be Harem. Ahwell, no matter, as long as I get to see Ginko. (Sigh.. Ginko... Ryuu... Akizuki )
Old 2006-11-04, 22:45   Link #587
Cal-Reflector

Mushishi Alternative (ala Futakoi Alternative): A Harem Romantic Comedy Slice of Life Anime.

"Ginko, a ryounin college student who spends most of his time backpacking through Japan, returns to his home town after two years where his mother, the tough-lovin, pipe-smoking pharmacist Nui resides. The two have an uncanny family resemblance. Ginko goes back to finish school at the local community college, where he rencounters several girls from his past and new acquaintances as well. Other than dealing with the delicious/painful situations happening with the girls in his life, Ginko does some supernatural detective work on the side.

The list of Girls (except Adashino) is:

Lenzu, the cynical child prodigy enrolled in college at age 12. Views Ginko as a nuisance and good for nothing. Rivalry?

Tanyuu: Talented and winsome daughter of a wealthy family studying Japanese Classics. Restricted to wheel chair due to childhood illness, old friend of Ginko's, with whom she made a "promise" to travel the world together one day.

Yuki: The down-to-earth and hardworking girl living together with her young brother, working part time as a waitress at a family restaurant while taking night courses. Develops a crush on Ginko in classical Shoujo fashion.

Adashino: Ginko's buddy, wealthy medical student who has a habit of collecting unusual artificats; pays Ginko for stuff he collects on his journeys.

Amane: A mysterious girl who appears often around campus, playing the guitar for some money. Wears sunglasses all the time due to blindness. Actually another part-timing student studying music who lives by herself.

Yahagi: Ginko's senior by a year; handsome and well-reputed for academics and sports, Ginko's carefree way of life grinds on her to no end; in the same club activity, they can't see eye to eye on anything.

Let's see... Amane would have the best body, Yuki's the down to earth one, Yahagi is the glasses wearing class-rep type, Lenzu is the Loli, and Tanyuu is the sickly but strongwilled one who in the end is Ginko's soulmate (yes, I've already picked the winner).

Spoiler for Episode 1 Fanservice?:
Old 2006-11-05, 03:46   Link #588
lommm
l'homme de lommm

that's awesome!
but i'm confused...
is this fanart fantasy of Mushishi Alternative?
or is this real? i think you made it up because it's not on the wiki

but i might be wrong
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 03:53   Link #589
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Mushishi Alternative (ala Futakoi Alternative): A Harem Romantic Comedy Slice of Life Anime.
You are a true master of genre parody.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 04:36   Link #590
Lost

Cal, if you drew that I'm giving you a cookie. Ah what the hell, take one.
Old 2006-11-05, 04:41   Link #591
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
is this fanart fantasy of Mushishi Alternative?
or is this real? i think you made it up because it's not on the wiki

but i might be wrong
Quote:
Cal, if you drew that I'm giving you a cookie. Ah what the hell, take one.
To lommmm: Yes, I made that completely up, I'd be surprised if someone put it on wiki.

Lost: Sorry, that was just a piece of fanart I found.

If A Mushishi Alternative came out though, would we the fans be crying for blood or celebrating? I think I'd be... celebrating.
Old 2006-11-05, 04:56   Link #592
Lost

I'd enjoy it, while keeping it in its place. What are you waiting for? Write the Fanfic!!
Old 2006-11-05, 05:01   Link #593
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
I'd enjoy it, while keeping it in its place. What are you waiting for? Write the Fanfic!!
Wait, the serious series continuation one where Tanyuu and Ginko finally embark on their journey and rencounter the characters from the series past? Or Mushishi Alternative?
Old 2006-11-05, 05:09   Link #594
Lost

Mushishi Alternative. But heh I cant say no to a serious GinkoXTanyuu slant - that would have alot more responsibility riding on it tho!
Old 2006-12-06, 01:50   Link #595
Cal-Reflector

Reviving this thread again: Now since Mushishi's licensed I may be in a bit of trouble for doing this, if so please don't ban me, just delete the post...? Its three pages pulled out of chapter 31 of the manga, which is (I think) at least two years from being available in the English speaking realms. Translations done by me.

In it we see that Ginko continues his dastardly quest, stopping by outlying towns and villages under the guise of solving the mushi problems for the down to earth countryfolk, but actually stealing the hearts of their daughters, making young women everywhere fall in love with him...

*Is dragged away and beaten*

I swear I translated honestly and didn't tamper with the dialogue; look at the playa that Ginko has become. See for yourself.

Spoiler for And far far away, the hair on Tanyuu's back bristle...:

Its official, Mushishi Alternative is in full-swing; notice how its always young, unattached, attractive young women that take an interest, and more often than not these are the type he encounters.

Edit:Reading some of the raws that will eventually make up volume 7 of the manga, I can say with utter confidence that there is no doubt in my mind that with time there will be enough quality chapters of Mushishi to make up a season 2 of at least 13 episodes. Chapter 32 is particularly superb, and I can begin to imagine the sort of awe and emotional impact it will make when it becomes animated.

Keep your hopes up!

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2006-12-06 at 02:08.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 21:17   Link #596
wao
OK.

I haven't caught up to the magazine spoilers and I was wondering if I should click on your thingy when I realised phew, it was in tankoubon 7. (Which was released in February and I think I got it not long after.) That reminds me... *checks* No release date for tankoubon 8 yet Damn.

But yes, there are certain events in volume 7 which are quite exciting and lead me to wonder if the story might start piecing together more bits like that as Ginko journies along... although on the other hand some people might not like it, I dunno. Angsty side character and all that (alright, I'll shut up now).

I wonder if I should kick up ***ny like I have always been saying I will, and find the magazine scans of the chapters after vol 7. Maybe I'm still too lazy... but seeing frustra's banner up there reminds me of Ginko and then I feel like I want to at the same time. Maybe in a few days the effect would grate into my head and I'll go "Damn! I want to read more Mushishi!", look for mag scans, reread volumse 1-7 and then go and read those and write a long convoluted post here like always.
Old 2006-12-06, 21:52   Link #597
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I haven't caught up to the magazine spoilers and I was wondering if I should click on your thingy when I realised phew, it was in tankoubon 7. (Which was released in February and I think I got it not long after.) That reminds me... *checks* No release date for tankoubon 8 yet Damn.

But yes, there are certain events in volume 7 which are quite exciting and lead me to wonder if the story might start piecing together more bits like that as Ginko journies along... although on the other hand some people might not like it, I dunno. Angsty side character and all that (alright, I'll shut up now).

I wonder if I should kick up ***ny like I have always been saying I will, and find the magazine scans of the chapters after vol 7. Maybe I'm still too lazy... but seeing frustra's banner up there reminds me of Ginko and then I feel like I want to at the same time. Maybe in a few days the effect would grate into my head and I'll go "Damn! I want to read more Mushishi!", look for mag scans, reread volumse 1-7 and then go and read those and write a long convoluted post here like always.
I think you should, I've read chapter 39, and it was amazing, focusing on the children's game of stepping on each other's shadows. Those of us who worried about the author running out of original story ideas... we were worried about nothing.
Old 2006-12-11, 13:13   Link #598
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
In it we see that Ginko continues his dastardly quest, stopping by outlying towns and villages under the guise of solving the mushi problems for the down to earth countryfolk, but actually stealing the hearts of their daughters, making young women everywhere fall in love with him...

*Is dragged away and beaten*

I swear I translated honestly and didn't tamper with the dialogue; look at the playa that Ginko has become. See for yourself.

Spoiler for And far far away, the hair on Tanyuu's back bristle...:

Its official, Mushishi Alternative is in full-swing; notice how its always young, unattached, attractive young women that take an interest, and more often than not these are the type he encounters.
Ah, but thats hardly his fault is it? Heres to a Mushishi season 2! The most captivating Anime yet.
Old 2007-01-18, 00:06   Link #599
Cal-Reflector

Reviving this thread again; check this out guys, its absolutely fantabulous: Animax, a cable channel in Asia, started airing Mushishi in Taiwan (I think, from the Mandarin Chinese): The previews? Along with the fast-forwarded footage and original BGM, They make Mushishi look like a supernatural action horror thriller. The previews make Mushishi look like Read or Die or X-Men...

http://community.livejournal.com/mus...356400#t356400

I can iterate how fantastic--and misleading--these previews are. They're cracktastic, awesome, superb... They're like a Star Wars Episode 1 Preview, where Qui-Gon Jin duels Darth Maul high over a pool of molten lava, with O Fortuna playing in the background. Ginko the Homerian hero who slayth the mushi, Tanyuu the heroine, both in mighty peril as the black and insidious mushi wrap themselves around them...

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2007-01-18 at 00:33.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 10:44   Link #600
Lost

Nice. I'm glad it's getting the advertising it deserves, even if it is an over-zealous portrayal. This is disturbing... there are scenes I don't remember seeing in the series.. =/ Like around 00:28 of the 3rd Trailer.

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural