AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-28, 09:43   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 552 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, let's do this:

-The ministory now focuses on Chopper, who escapes from some natives that want to cook and eat him.

-Luffy says that he always knew that he and Ace weren't blood related, and even knew that his father was Roger. Meanwhile, Ace has a flashback about meeting Shanks (whom he thanked for looking after Luffy), and apparently he actually turned down an offer to join the Shichibukai. He fought with Jinbei for 5 days (well, that certainly explains how they knew each other), and had a scuffle with the man that he would recognize as his father, as well. It also turns out that Whitebeard told Ace that he wasn't obligated to go hunt down Blackbeard, but he ignored his "dad's" orders because he wanted to deal out punishment to the traitor.....

-It turns out that Whitebeard is a DF user. He has the powers of the Gura Gura fruit, an earthquake power. Sengoku says that that it's a power that can destroy the world. Whitebeard uses his great power to split the heavens (I guess like with his encounter with Shanks) and creates a great tsunami. There are two tsunamis and admirals Aokiji and Akainu try to stop them before 50,000 marines are wiped out. It seems that Akainu is about to reveal his powers....

Wow, so Whiebeard was a DF user.... that was unexpected. And an earthquake power, too. Yes, an insanely powerful fruit like that is most certainly fitting for the strongest man in the world. Still, while htat's cool and all, I'm still more interested in seeing his commanders and his New World allies in action. Maybe we'll see more unique DF powers amongst those guys too, yeah? And while it's still most likely that Akainu will be a Logia, I'm still crossing my fingers for the small chance that he's a Paramecia or (Awakened) Zoan instead.......

And.... huh, so Luffy knew about Ace's father all along, even though he didn't know about his own until just recently? Interesting. But man, it's pretty crazy to think that Ace and Jinbei were fighting for 5 days straight! And it's also good to know that Whitebeard actually DID have reservations about sending Ace after Blackbeard. Still, it would have been wise for Whitebeard to stop Ace from going anyway, or they wouldn't be caught in this current predicament.... oh, well. What's done is done, I guess......

Anyway, I now await pics!
Old 2009-07-28, 09:53   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

People have been talking about Devil Fruit abilities that can control waves and how powerful it will be. I guess Whitebeard definitely shown that the ability is indeed devastating.

He probably used it against those Marine ships earlier on that were in the New World keeping an eye on him. With his quakes causing tsunamis, he can wipe out anything on land and on the sea.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-28, 10:00   Link #3
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Man. Hearing about Whitebeard's power, says volumes about Roger's strength as well. How does somebody fight evenly against somebody with that kind of DF.

I thought they divide in the Heavens (Skies) was caused by Haki, so it turns out it was really his DF. That's bit of a let down. But on that same note, Sengoku has to be out of his fucking mind, I dont think I would want to fuck with somebody with kind of power. But who knows what kind of power Sengoku has as well.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:06   Link #4
ZeroForever

not really to surprised that he has a DF, as other then shanks has there been a single other high end human pirate captain that didn't have one? (kuro/krieg aren't high end)

interesting power, I'm assuming he knows the Admirals can stop the waves otherwise such a large AOE attack would take out ace as well, so it could just be hiding a 2nd move of his.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:06   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
Man. Hearing about Whitebeard's power, says volumes about Roger's strength as well. How does somebody fight evenly against somebody with that kind of DF.

I thought they divide in the Heavens (Skies) was caused by Haki, so it turns out it was really his DF. That's bit of a let down. But on that same note, Sengoku has to be out of his fucking mind, I dont think I would want to fuck with somebody with kind of power. But who knows what kind of power Sengoku has as well.
I'm not sure if he really can quake the skies, because his ability is written specifically in Japanese as 'earthquake', meaning a real earthquake. Its not vibration or shockwaves or anything, but a quake that must be done on the ground.

Until we see more of his ability, we cannot be certain whether he can or cannot quake the skies.

I'm not sure whether he's a Paramecia or Logia though. An earthquake is definitely natural enough to be Logia and he may be a type like Blackbeard's Darkness, natural but doesn't give his body an indestructible property.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-28, 10:19   Link #6
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I'm not sure whether he's a Paramecia or Logia though. An earthquake is definitely natural enough to be Logia and he may be a type like Blackbeard's Darkness, natural but doesn't give his body an indestructible property.
Yeah, Im wondering that, I dont think we have seen a DF before where the users are actually influencing the enviorment. At teh Moment, I think this should be a Parameceia, the ones that come closest to this abbility, is Foxy DF power.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:28   Link #7
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

They revealed Ace is Roger's son, They revealed that Whitebeard is earthquake....But no...For some reason Im just focused with Akainu's moves.Revealing his ability sounds more interesting than any war out there.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:37   Link #8
game2007

I bet Akainu grew lots of plants to absorb the tidal wave.
Old 2009-07-28, 11:08   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post

Nah, he'll reveal himself to be a sponge Zoan and will suck up all the water into his body instead, you mark my words.

All kidding aside, this is definitely an interesting time for Akainu to reveal his powers. This actually sorta reminds me of when Aokiji revealed his powers during the long island arc, when he was about to be attacked by a sea king. I always thought it was cool for new characters to reveal their powers at critical moments. I most certainly hope that Akainu doesn't disappoint.....

Anyway, I too am unsure about whether or not Whitebeard's fruit should be lumped into the Paramecia or Logia category. As already said, an earthquake is a natural occurrance, which would definitely make it a Logia, but this doesn't seem like the type of ability that can transform the user's body (is it even possible to turn into seismic waves?). I'm leaning towards it being a Paramecia power myself, since we already had psuedo-natural abilities in that category (like Mr. 3 with his wax and Magellan with his poison). But I guess we really just have to see him in action before we can really be sure about anything......
Old 2009-07-28, 11:13   Link #10
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
Because plants are known for stopping tsunami....

Learning that Whitebeard has a Devil Fruit isn't that great of a shock, and he certainly has an overtly powerful enough fruit that his title of Strongest is not harmed (though, I kind of wish that he had a seemingly innocuous fruit (like bubbles (bubbles have already been taken, but you get my point) or something that looks harmless, but due to Whitebeard's mastery and imaginative use of the fruit, he turned a seemingly innocuous fruit into a godlike power)). In Japan especially, there is very little more feared (and respected) than an earthquake, so Whitebeard having this power shows just how much Oda is putting on Whitebeard (hopefully people like Mold will be able to accept this supreme power and not be upset that the earlier assumption of Whitebeard using simple physical power to rise to the top were incorrect).

edit: during Garp's conversation with Ace he labeled Whitebeard as a "Ruler/God of the Sea," and this chapter thouroughly confirms that title. Whitebeard is Poseidon/Neptune, able to send tsunamis out to destroy his enemies; and while his bisento is no trident, it's close enough .

Last edited by james0246; 2009-07-28 at 13:35.
Old 2009-07-28, 11:54   Link #11
Prestige

I guess Gura Gura no mi (Whitebeards fruit) is Earth logia and through his element he can cause seismic quakes.

Of course he could just have paramecia fruit what is strictly specialized on earthquakes but I think having earth/rock type logia is more plausible.

Spoler indicates that he already took down 50 000 with tsunami but its early spoiler so we might get clarification.
Old 2009-07-28, 12:26   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Spoler indicates that he already took down 50 000 with tsunami but its early spoiler so we might get clarification.

Actually I'm pretty sure it indicates that he's about to wipe out 50,000 marines with a tsunami, but the admirals are putting a stop to that before there are any casualties. I mean, it wouldn't do for the marines to lose half of their forces in just one attack, would it....?

But yeah, this instantly explains why even a Logia like Eneru wouldn't be able to rule the blue seas, even if he had a 500 million bounty. All Whitebeard would have to do is cause a big enough rumble and his opponent will be taken out with a huge tidal wave. And if he fights on land he can easily devestate the landscape enough to give opponents a disadvantage (heck, he can even form volcanoes with his power!). Quite a destructive, yet useful power indeed......

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-07-28 at 12:38.
Old 2009-07-28, 13:03   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure it indicates that he's about to wipe out 50,000 marines with a tsunami, but the admirals are putting a stop to that before there are any casualties. I mean, it wouldn't do for the marines to lose half of their forces in just one attack, would it....?

But yeah, this instantly explains why even a Logia like Eneru wouldn't be able to rule the blue seas, even if he had a 500 million bounty. All Whitebeard would have to do is cause a big enough rumble and his opponent will be taken out with a huge tidal wave. And if he fights on land he can easily devestate the landscape enough to give opponents a disadvantage (heck, he can even form volcanoes with his power!). Quite a destructive, yet useful power indeed......
Not sure Enel would be taken out so easly by WB's DF, given its hard to stop or outrun a tsunami but Enel is able to teleport over huge distances and has got one of the best long range attacks around. Only reason Enel was beat cause he had the worst luck possible really by running into his only real natural enemy.
When Robin said its a rumored invincible DF I think its pretty much that.

WB's DF is certainly something tho, dealing with with enemies on the water, summon up a tidal wave and be done with it all or destroy the land they walk on and bedone with it. All done and be home for tea
Old 2009-07-28, 13:33   Link #14
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Not sure Enel would be taken out so easly by WB's DF, given its hard to stop or outrun a tsunami but Enel is able to teleport over huge distances and has got one of the best long range attacks around. Only reason Enel was beat cause he had the worst luck possible really by running into his only real natural enemy.
When Robin said its a rumored invincible DF I think its pretty much that.

Well yeah, I guess he can avoid it depending on the range of the tsunami, but if we're talking about Logias who have the best chance of "outrunning" a wave, then it would undoubtedly be Kizaru (light>lightning in terms of speed). Also, I kinda doubt a huge ball of electricity will be enough to stop a raging wall of water, but whatever (I don't really like getting into debates about the "tiers" of DF powers, so I think I'll refrain from further hypothetical "X vs. Y" conversations for the time being)......

But as already said, Whitebeard definitely has an extremely destructive ability. I already mentioned that he can create active volcanoes with his power, but he can also cause avalanches, landslides, and just plain level any city or town that's in the range of his quakes. Sengoku's not kidding when he said that it's an ability that can destroy the world......
Old 2009-07-28, 13:36   Link #15
james0246

^And he is physically strong enough to attack opponents in the sky. All in all, in one move, Whitebeard shows that he is the strongest single character we have seen up to this point able to defend and attack from all positions.
Old 2009-07-28, 13:43   Link #16
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Now that Whitebeard's Devil Fruit has been revealed. The question is how do you defeat it? Roger couldn't even defeat Whitebeard, but rather fought evenly with him. Which leads me to believe the inevitable, Blackbeard is the only one, since his Devil Fruit actually cancels out other Devil Fruits. Sengoku may be strong, but if he was able to take out Whitebeard, or even had a slight chance to do so, he would have.

Also... if Shanks and Rayleigh do appear, the World Government will be completely overwhelmed.
Old 2009-07-28, 13:45   Link #17
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Whitebeard has a devil fruit and Luffy knew all along Ace and him were not blood brothers.

Whooooa! Didn't see THAT coming!

NOT.

I was hoping for some matchups to be set up but maybe next chapter.
Old 2009-07-28, 13:57   Link #18
Rainbowman

Here's my review:

Mini-story: Chopper escaping the natives wanting to eat him. I wonder what he'll do now?

Main Story: Whitebeard a DF user. Never saw this coming. And Akainu was about to reveal his powers only to have this chapter end for us. We may have to wait till next week to see what they are along with the full explanation on Doflamingo's powers.
Old 2009-07-28, 14:27   Link #19
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Spoiler for :
Old 2009-07-28, 14:30   Link #20
Captain Roronoa Zoro

i also heard tht he might have a sound df
Closed Thread