AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2008-04-08, 18:48   Link #61
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I obviously expected such difference as soon as I heard Rosa got the winchester in ep2. But seriously, character speaking, she isn't anything better than Eva
Hey Eva's great
Old 2008-04-09, 16:29   Link #62
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Chapter 15

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in..._2:_Chapter_15

I hope this one is not so messed up
Old 2008-04-11, 07:29   Link #63
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Chapter 16

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in..._2:_Chapter_16

now it's over

chapter 17, epilogue, endroll, tea parties were done long ago
check previous pages of this thread for these

The only thing that remains are the TIPS
Old 2008-04-12, 13:26   Link #64
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Announcement!

Before anything, here is a special point we took recently: considering our satisfying and hard working manpower here and there (be it translators, encoders etc), we decided to change slightly the release scheldule:
Instead of letting everyone down until the full patch is done, we decided to change it altogether and mimic the Onikakushi-hen type of release: Chapter by chapter, or batch by batch of chapters each time.
This has been decided like this, as the process is much longer than expected and our wish to polish and serve a translation patch as neat as possible, hence much more retranslation and editing.

that said...

Witch Hunt is proud to announce that the first patch for Umineko no Naku Koro ni is available!

The first patch covers Chapter 00 to 02 of Episode 1, Legend of the Golden Witch. You can get it with these links (several mirrors):
[WH] Umineko 1 V0.1 15.3MB (rar file)
-Rapidshare
-MegaUpload
-Sendspace
-Mediafire

Please be sure to check the readme files as some specific points must be taken in account for the full use of the patch.
Also, remember this patch only works with Episode 2 (game). It does NOT work with episode 1.
Please remember that Episode 1 is INCLUDED in Episode 2 (just how it was for Higurashi), hence we are not skipping any episode at all. But the patch can only work with the second game, translation wise, it is about the first episode.

Please don't hesitate to leave your feedbacks, comments, troubleshoots and so forth here!

We will soon provide a subbed version of the Opening movie of the game. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-04-12 at 14:03.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:57   Link #65
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Thanks for the release people, your hard work is greatly appreciated. I only have a question. Storywise, how recommendable is it to play Episode 2 without having played Episode 1? Is it the same as higurashi, in the sense that the first 3 question arcs were somehow interchangeable?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:01   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Thanks for the release people, your hard work is greatly appreciated. I only have a question. Storywise, how recommendable is it to play Episode 2 without having played Episode 1? Is it the same as higurashi, in the sense that the first 3 question arcs where somehow interchangeable?
It looks like the message was quite misleading:

Much like Higurashi, each new episode of Umineko has the previous one within it.
Hence, buying Episode 2 will also grant you the first episode.

We actually translated the first 3 chapters of Episode 1, Legend of the golden witch.
However, the patch itself does not work with the Episode 1 (game).
Much like higurashi, keeps things in order, do not skip the chapters, it isn't recommended at all.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-04-12 at 14:43.
Old 2008-04-12, 14:05   Link #67
Proto

Quote:
Much like Higurashi, each new episode of Umineko has the previous one within it.
Hence, buying Episode 2 will also grant you the first episode.
ic, I wasn't aware of that. I think knowing it would have saved me a good $20 when I placed my order on Himeya back in November, aw well.
Old 2008-04-12, 14:22   Link #68
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes, we already knew that such problems might happen with people only with episode 1.
Unfortunately, when we decided to start the project, Episode 2 was already available and our encoder, Mion of the Futagotachi noticed that both episodes don't use the same engine and command scripts on various instances.

Hence, we decided that, for convenience and time constraint sake, we should work only on episode 2 engine, as it would be the best options.
We might release a patch for episode 1, but since we wish to finish the patch for both episode 1 and 2, it will be unlikely that we will release a compatible script for the episode 1 game alone.

our apologizes for such inconvenience :/
Old 2008-04-12, 15:03   Link #69
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

4chan has left me in dispair!!!!

Quote:
English is still as stinted and unnatural as it was a few months back when they were showing off
Quote:
You know that anyone could do it, right?

If their "team" has a native English speaker (I hope to fucking god that it does) then they should read over the text and say "HMM PEOPLE DON'T SAY 'THIS DIFFERS FROM USUAL!' IN REAL LIFE. I'LL CHANGE IT TO BE MORE NATURAL".

Doesn't need a linguistics degree.
And I tried so hard to make it sound natural

I want to kill someone
Old 2008-04-12, 15:56   Link #70
Proto

O c'mon, it's 4chan. If they hate it it must mean you are doing a good job

Quote:
Yes, we already knew that such problems might happen with people only with episode 1.
Unfortunately, when we decided to start the project, Episode 2 was already available and our encoder, Mion of the Futagotachi noticed that both episodes don't use the same engine and command scripts on various instances.
Nah, don't worry, I accept your apologies. (In fact my misery stems from the fact that I bought both episodes when I could have bought only one, but let's not go there)
Old 2008-04-12, 16:25   Link #71
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After some "indepth" test with the patch, you "can" use it with episode 1 game.
However, the structure of episode 2 isn't the same, and there is simply no BGM with the patch applied on episode 1.
Also, at the "shacking boat" scene in chapter 2, it might crash (it will most likely if you hold CTRL, it should be fine with space/left clicking etc).

It might be easier to fix, but I won't promise anything as I do not have the mastery nor knowledge to advance that. I will give more update in the future anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Nah, don't worry, I accept your apologies. (In fact my misery stems from the fact that I bought both episodes when I could have bought only one, but let's not go there)
Hahaha, I see. I thought you meant that you bought only the episode 1 CD
Well, at least, you can keep episode 1 CD much like how you will for episode 2 once 3 and later will be released. I did it that as well, but for collection, completion (and certainly fanboyism) sake

As for 4chan trolls, being a non english native, I can't see it that "unnatural" which is funny because overly exaggerated/sophisticated english should be thougher but whatever...
Considering the retranslation and the tests we made so far, I don't think the english written by tobiast is unnatural at all.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-04-12 at 17:22.
Old 2008-04-12, 16:26   Link #72
Roll

Guys, you have made my dream come true, at least part of it xD... Thank you so much! Please continue with the good job, and just don't listen to the jerks that say "there english is unnatural lol :B".... I think it's good enough to understand it. Keep on!
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 18:36   Link #73
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Wow, thank you guys~! off to paletweb to order episode 2 I guess it really paid off to wait with buying Umineko- I didn't know that episode 2 also contains episode1
I hope that my order will ship to my after May 15 - damn "Matura' exams

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 11:09   Link #74
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
4chan has left me in dispair!!!!

And I tried so hard to make it sound natural

I want to kill someone

why are you reading 4chan in the first place?

that admission alone means you deserve all the criticism you have read there.

seriously, i hope your feeling bad and learnt your lesson. don't go there again.

pay anymore attention there and i might be forced to apply Animesuki Mod actions on the wiki. I'll show you for going off topic!

*crack a whip*

Old 2008-04-13, 14:08   Link #75
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Now, it's really over. See you in August

Ep. 2 TIPS
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...Volume_2:_Tips

A note:
The 'raw' text for these TIPS, I simply copied from a certain site.
However, since this text is originally an image file in the game, the guys of the site had to type it, hence, there are some typing mistakes that may mess the translation.

Example: 結果(kekka, result) instead of 結界(kekkai, barrier)

I happened to find some and corrected them. But maybe, there are more. (The same goes for the TIPS of ep. 1)

So,
When the other translators check it, try to pay some attention to the original text in the game.

Cya
Old 2008-04-13, 15:29   Link #76
chrno_the_sinner

Before I start, let me say thank you for translating.

Now, I can see where 4chan is coming from. Umineko reads like a translation, not a novel. If the same translation style were to come from a fansub or whathaveyou, it would be perfectly fine. Since it's a novel (albeit a visual novel), there should be some flow, which isn't there. I can't get a feel for Ryuukishi07's writing style the same way I can from the official translations of novels such as Nisioisin's Death Note novel or Chain Mail (which utilized 5 different narration styles, all of which came out relatively clearly).

Compare it to Tsukihime. Umineko is a good deal 'chunkier', while Tsukihime reads very nicely, and has a flow to it as well. I'm supposed to get a feel for Battler's relations with his family, but I really have to strain, since the feeling doesn't convey itself as well as it should. Alternatively, I can see how Akiha and Shiki get along very clearly from their dialouge. To localize a VN, you don't only need to translate, but you almost have to rewrite it as well.

In any case, I truly appriciate what you guys have done. It saves me the trouble of going in blind with AGTH.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 16:33   Link #77
Proto

Hmm... maybe we should also remember this is a beta release, and moreover a wiki project. The translation itself was never intended to be a finalized product with this release version, so of course there will be room for improvement. Moreover since this is a wiki project, people who download the beta are also expected to help pointing out the specific translation or edition 'flaws' they spot, instead of making generic complaining. If you do so en masse you will get a pissed Sterling01 like the one above.
Old 2008-04-13, 17:02   Link #78
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

And a pissed me is something people do not want.

As Proto said this is a "beta" release, so if you spot flaws point them out, don't go "this is shit compared to Tsukihime"
Old 2008-04-13, 18:15   Link #79
chrno_the_sinner

Oh please. I try to be nice and offer an honest critique, and get flamed at right away. I have no intention of being rude and I truly do appriciate what you're doing. I mean no disrespect.

The only way I was comparing to Tsukihime was in the way the translation process was done. The Mirrormoon patch reads like a novel, whereas the Umineko reads as a translation. It's not bad, and I can get the meaning, but I don't get any sense of a writing style.

Yes, NisioisiN, Nasu, and Ryuukishi07 all have different writing styles. I can tell what they are from the different translations/localisations. I'm having difficulty feeling out what Ryuukishi07's style is though.

Something that Andrew Cunningham (translator of the Boogiepop novels, plus a LOT more) said about translating novels stuck with me. It's just not enough to simply translate a novel. You have to rework it so it has a flow and structure to it as well. You basically have to rewrite it in the Japanese author's style, only in English.

As I stated before, if it were an anime or manga translation, it would be damn near perfect. But a novel needs a different outlook on translation.

Since I'm not at home at the moment, I can't really point out any specifics. It's just something I noticed about the translation in general. You can't expect to release a translation without being critiqued in some way.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 18:33   Link #80
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Sorry for being that way I just needed to get my frustrations out,

Tags
translation