AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-07-19, 02:47   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 873 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's do this! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Cornered Sweets" Splash ministory features Barto's crew encountering a new obstacle in their mission of spreading Luffy's good name to the masses.

-Big Mom's crew are busy saving civilians who were buried in the collapsed cake castle. During the rescue effort, Count Niwatori (aka Baron Tamago's chicken form), who is angry that the tea party was ruined, runs into Pekoms, who tells him that the Sun Pirates fled from the island. Meanwhile, Katakuri and Brulee are still pursuing the Straw-Hats. Katakuri says he needs to eliminate Luffy as soon as possible, or else he'll become a future threat to Big Mom.....

-Speaking of Big Mom, she's currently in her "food sickness" state, causing Smoothie to run from her in panic! She's causing widespread destruction, and has even taken the soul of her son, Opera! Smoothie searches for Streusen so he can bake a new cake, but it's no good.... the impact from such a large fall has left the old chef on death's border. The crew begins to despair, but Perospero then comes up with an idea: He lies and tells BM that there WAS a spare cake, but the Straw-Hats stole it when they ran away! Hearing this, Linlin hops on Zeus and is about to give chase, but not before she warns Perospero that if he was deceiving her, he will pay most dearly with his lifespan.....

-After her departure, the crew discusses that a cake much tastier than BM has ever had before is needed to appease her. Pudding appears and says that she'll make a chocolate chiffon cake. However, while chocolate is her specialty, she needs her sister Chiffon as she is the expert on.... well, chiffon. The ingredients needed to make the new cake are in Choco Town. However, Pudding is also still upset over Sanji complimenting her third eye, and wants to take revenge on the Straw-Hats with Big Mom....

-Back to the Straw-Hats, the gang makes it to the Seducing Woods. As Nami still has half of the vivre card that Lola gave her, she's able to use the homie King Baum as a form of transport. However, Big Mom catches up to them anyway with Zeus, and drops in on them....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-07-20 at 22:09.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 04:00   Link #2
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Ohhh SH so screwed!!! Not. I'm sure they'll find some way out of this....somehow.
Old 2017-07-19, 07:40   Link #3
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

time for sanji to show off his new skills? BAKING a new cake that will satisfy BM
Old 2017-07-19, 08:43   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Okama Recipe for Big Mom..

Big Mom will least expect about attack cuisine from Okama recipes.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 12:25   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was totally wrong regarding what would happen. Rather than stalling her, this just made Big Mom catch up to the Straw hats even faster!
Old 2017-07-19, 17:24   Link #6
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, so much for the SH running away completely from Big Mom. Not only that, but Oda once again proves he is a master of cliffhangers with the wait.

Heck, this might just be enough to make the arc actually end decently. I won't even complain if the crew gets some back-up at this point

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 22:34   Link #7
Ramero

Most likely Taiyo Pirates will aid Straw Hats for their escape. They could be ambushing Big Mom or even cover Straw hats escape.
Old 2017-07-20, 00:15   Link #8
The Small One

Looks like the situation got even worse, having to fight BM now without the aid of all the allies who were present before.
On the other hand: If they indeed fight her now and defeat her, they can claim the whole victory for themselves.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 01:10   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Well, so much for the SH running away completely from Big Mom. Not only that, but Oda once again proves he is a master of cliffhangers with the wait.

Heck, this might just be enough to make the arc actually end decently. I won't even complain if the crew gets some back-up at this point
What you said pretty much sums up this chapter.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 04:34   Link #10
Ramero

Bartolomew, you idiot @_@ you ruined Luffy's Savior's territory

SH need to make a complete retreat for this..
Old 2017-07-20, 06:56   Link #11
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Looks like the situation got even worse, having to fight BM now without the aid of all the allies who were present before.
On the other hand: If they indeed fight her now and defeat her, they can claim the whole victory for themselves.
And how exactly would they defeat big mom?
imza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 10:24   Link #12
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

they get beat down by BM leading to another time skip like what happened on Sabaody Archipelago

this is the only way they can get another power-up to beat a yonko
Old 2017-07-20, 11:05   Link #13
Blaat

Zeus = Kintoun.
Old 2017-07-20, 22:34   Link #14
marvelB

Most might consider it a small thing, but.... I actually rather liked that Katakuri took Luffy seriously enough to want to kill him before he grows enough to be a threat to BM. I guess I'm just so used to seeing manga villains underestimate the heroes until the very last minute that I find it a breath of fresh air to not see them act condescending early on for a change. Of course, this isn't the first time we've seen adversaries who wanted to nip Luffy in the bud *coughAkainucough*, but it's nice to see MORE high-level enemies acknowledge our heroes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
they get beat down by BM leading to another time skip like what happened on Sabaody Archipelago

this is the only way they can get another power-up to beat a yonko

Or.... there was that idea I suggested a while back about tricking Big Mom and Kaidou into fighting each other, thus weakening each others' forces.... I mean, I think that's a pretty feasible to topple two gargantuan birds with one stone...
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 11:59   Link #15
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Or.... there was that idea I suggested a while back about tricking Big Mom and Kaidou into fighting each other, thus weakening each others' forces.... I mean, I think that's a pretty feasible to topple two gargantuan birds with one stone...
Luffy's face:

^ his face when Usopp suggested to just sneak in and make copies of the Poneglyph.

Last edited by bhl88; 2017-07-21 at 17:03.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 12:09   Link #16
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Luffy be like That Aint gonna happen!

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 12:13   Link #17
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
I think it will be more like on Arabasta: BM will win this round against Luffy, but in about 5 to 10 chapters he will be back and trash her completely by having discovered some weakness.

If they can't beat a Yonkou by now, the whole timeskip would have been pointless and he won't become Pirate King before the manga ends.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 12:14   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given how hyped that cake is, I'm hoping Sanji is the one who will make it somehow. Maybe he'll strike a deal with Big Mom, who in her crazed state might just accept. Then it'll turn into a race to see who can gather the ingredients first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Zeus = Kintoun.
So true. It looks super fast! I wonder if there is a downside to using him that way, like it draining Big Mom's stamina or something. Otherwise, she could probably travel pretty far on her own, without needing to fear the dangers of the sea.
Old 2017-07-21, 20:10   Link #19
Tommy
Mr. Prince

What if Pudding became the Strawhat's white knight? If she could defuse Big Mom's rage with a cake and while BM is preoccupied then wipe her memory of all the events that transpired, they could escape her wrath.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 21:00   Link #20
Ramero

Pudding has a grudge against Sanji and she could take that chance to assassinate him.