AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-09-27, 11:52   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Can Animesuki Forums install the Tapatalk plugin?

Neat little mobile app I discovered that lets me browse various forums on my phone without having to deal with a layout designed for actual computers. It's really quite awesome, as it removes the need to have a completely separate "mobile site."

I'm wondering if the admins here would be so kind as to install the plugin on the forums?
Old 2010-09-27, 12:31   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

This was mentioned previously by both felix and escimo and I've looked into it briefly. I couldn't find an open/public download of the plugin it requires. If I could see the plugin code and review what it is doing to the forum, and our user's private data, I would be able to make judge the suitability for use on the forum.

So far, however, they don't release it unless you sign up with them, which I am not doing even if it is free. If GHDpro wants to formally sign up with them as a forum owner, or someone else wants to send me the plugin, then I would comment further.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 12:59   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
If GHDpro wants to formally sign up with them as a forum owner, or someone else wants to send me the plugin, then I would comment further.
I've done so now, as at first glance this doesn't seem like a bad idea. Installation appears to be fairly simple too (unzip to forum root [all files reside in their own subfolder though] and add a link to a javascript file to a template).

Still don't expect this to be activated right away -- please allow some time for us to verify the files and further research any possible issues/disadvantages first.

@NightWish: You can find the zip file (filename: "mobiquo") in the usual place for vBulletin files.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 13:02   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

My main concern when I researched this is what impact this would have on the various customizations we made on the forum. The app essentially serves as a converter, and doesn't actually use forum code to render the site. So even simple things like spoiler tags may not be interpreted correctly (I don't know), not to mention some of the more advanced customizations made. Plus, though the plugin is free on our end, it requires end-users to pay a small fee for the app (if they want to post anything), and I feel that isn't really a great solution to provide our end-users (especially if the functionality is impaired to begin with). This also removes whatever branding the site has. It would be much better to have an actual mobile template for the site.
Old 2010-09-27, 13:23   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It would be much better to have an actual mobile template for the site.
Normally easy enough, however the way vB works makes it a pain. That aside though, should you make a mobile version now it's going to become obsolete once you update.
Old 2010-09-27, 14:42   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Ah, seems like there's more to all of this than I initially thought. I appreciate you fine folks looking into this, since I do spend a lot of forum time on my phone (though not nearly as much as on my laptop).
Old 2010-10-01, 10:27   Link #7
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

A mobile style would be nice as well. You have to pay for Tapatalk to reply to any thread or PM and some people may be unable to purchase it. Plus I don't think it supports VMs and the spoiler tags is still unknown as well.
Old 2010-10-01, 11:33   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Doesn't vbulletin support mobile styles?
Old 2010-10-01, 19:09   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I would rather have something like WPTouch Pro (mobile theme plugin for Wordpress), which redirects mobile users to a rich mobile site without interfering with desktop browsers. Something like an App just to respond on forums is a bit overkill when mobile themes is enough and won't require users to install extra software.
Old 2010-10-01, 20:34   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It does support mobile styles (I mean, it's pretty much just CSS anyway), but it's a bit unclear right now if/when we'll be migrating to vBulletin 4.0. So there's little sense in developing a mobile skin now if we're about to switch to a new version that breaks backwards compatibility. And yeah, there have been some template customizations I believe, so it would require a bit of doing. Wouldn't mind doing some of the work on this (since I'd benefit as well), but yeah... better to just do the work once.
Old 2010-10-02, 03:09   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Right now some small style tweaks targeting handhelds can be made. Using CSS and adding a few extra classes would be the most flexible, while creating a new "mobile" style would be the easiest: add "skip to content/navigation/<something-relevant>" links at top of page, make all elements fluid (control bar at top, post box, etc), remove/hide any unnecessary information (thread/forums post counts, view, last post), have a switch to select the top postbit (instead of the current legacy postbit, ie. left side).
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Version 4.x does (somewhat). Lets just say it degrades gracefully to small screen devices; it's not really a mobile design though.
Old 2011-11-15, 04:14   Link #12
Otaku Supreme

This is up to you guys but i wouldn't mind providing a d/l of the apk for tapatalk or the iphone version. if you wouldn't mind i would like to do that. i use tapatalk regularly and find it very easy to use. as for spoiler tags im also not sure i do notice it doesn't have avatars or signatures. anyway if you would like to let me know send me a pm or just post here thanks.
Otaku Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:38   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

They introduced a new mobile style that comes with vB4 by default.

You can view from your desktop/laptop here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php?styleid=49

If you're on a mobile device it should auto-detect and prompt you; supposedly.
Old 2011-11-16, 02:23   Link #14
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Please don't add Tapatalk. I hate that application as it leaves '' Sent from my .... using Tapatalk '' on each damn message for those who use it and I find it annoying <.<.
Old 2012-05-21, 19:27   Link #15
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Please add tapatalk. While requiring a small fee to the end usr who wants to post, it's the best app to view forums at the moment, bypassing all the limitations and issues of the mobile browsers, and providing amazing interface for mobile use.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 00:43   Link #16
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Please don't add Tapatalk. I hate that application as it leaves '' Sent from my .... using Tapatalk '' on each damn message for those who use it and I find it annoying <.<.
I think that that's only for the Android version? Either that or forums can disable that because I use Tapatalk on my iPhone for several forums, and when I look at my posts I made using the app on the computer, it doesn't show that at all.

I also want to see AS implement Tapatalk. It would make browsing the site on mobile phones much easier IMO.
Old 2012-05-23, 22:11   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Usually you can alter the ".sig" message on applications. Maybe the tapatalk app allows that as well.
Old 2012-05-24, 03:46   Link #18
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Usually you can alter the ".sig" message on applications. Maybe the tapatalk app allows that as well.
It does.
The reason most people keep it on is to show that they are posting from mobile, thus providing justifications for writing errors or similar.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 14:03   Link #19
nishishishi
jomkingal

Send a message via Yahoo to nishishishi
I also like AS to support Tapatalk. It would be a breeze to check in your phone AS without opening big size browsers. Please add Tapatalk. :3
Old 2014-09-23, 01:44   Link #20
dropkix
宇宙ブドカンデビュー7日7月

Sup. I've been using tapatalk for a couple of forums for the past 2 years and it's been getting better and better. Namely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
it leaves '' Sent from my .... using Tapatalk '' on each damn message for those who use it
You can remove that or use a custom sig now. Some wiseguy on a car forum wrote something like "Sent using tapashit from my ifail" I loled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
You have to pay for Tapatalk to reply to any thread or PM and some people may be unable to purchase it.
now it's free for Android daioh:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
the spoiler tags is still unknown as well.
I noticed the folks over at anime-forums got spoiler tags working on tapatalk ^__^ I'm sure their it guru can hook you guys up

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
My main concern when I researched this is what impact this would have on the various customizations we made on the forum.
We'll love you for it though!

Jokes aside it's nice and engaging. I get push notifications for updates on threads I'm following. Those are optional though. I only use them for the threads I'm following.

Ok that's enough said about tapatalk for now :P They oughta pay me.
dropkix is offline   Reply With Quote