AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-01-05, 19:54   Link #41
Miraluka
Banned

The manga(Railgun) fits the timeline of the events before the novels(Index) but the anime(Railgun) is raping them :S.
The original source, the light novel of Index is the official canon series and since the novel doesn't make emphasis in Mikoto and the characters in Railgun is not a matter to worry.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:00   Link #42
babohtea

Eh. I hope the anime/manga/LN find a way to compromise, or I guess anime will just have to BS until it finally makes logical sense.

I think Saten isn't even in the Light Novels? Pity, I like her character a lot. Heres to hoping the LN author notices the various discrepancies in the different versions. I wouldn't mind if the LN adjusted in some areas to the anime as well - not just the other way around.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:00   Link #43
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Sort of makes me wonder which storylines will count as -official canon- from now on, the manga, the light novel, or the anime?
Aren't the original sources always considered the official canon? Especially where anime is concerned since so many studios hate doing straight adaptations and always end up changing things.

Railgun as a spin-off started with the manga, right? So, that would be the original source, which means it's the official canon. Of course, opinions will vary.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:12   Link #44
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Eh. I hope the anime/manga/LN find a way to compromise, or I guess anime will just have to BS until it finally makes logical sense.

I think Saten isn't even in the Light Novels? Pity, I like her character a lot. Heres to hoping the LN author notices the various discrepancies in the different versions. I wouldn't mind if the LN adjusted in some areas to the anime as well - not just the other way around.
Well the author tend to abandon that part. About character development. She did it a few times but mostly its about the plot story about battles. And if you read the novel you will notice that in everyone their is always battle scenes. It could leave aside romance but the epic battle story wouldn't be forgotten.

Well its a story that should tend to be that type. More of battles and battles and less character development. Though the story is great with a great plot twist and plot story. It just miss something and by missing that something the author left it not quite unique but the story tends to have its own originality.

And knowing that index has one of the largest cast I ever seen in light novel. So it's to be expected some are to be left around and others are to be left permanently (dead)

Even if saten has a good character she couldn't do much or rather she couldn't do a thing against the enemy. She is useless in this type of theme. She is the one tend to be protected. Just look at mikoto even if she's strong. She still need to be protected and she doesn't stand a chance against the big time of magic side.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:26   Link #45
Miraluka
Banned

Thats right like Shinobu said: "even with your powers you can't stop this".
Old 2010-01-05, 20:33   Link #46
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Thats right like Shinobu said: "even with your powers you can't stop this".
...what?
I don't recall that happening in the anime, so it must have been a LN event?
Either way I thought Shinobu had no powers.
Old 2010-01-05, 20:55   Link #47
Miraluka
Banned

In the manga of Railgun. Shinobu when she was talking with Mikoto.

This page

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-01-05 at 21:06.
Old 2010-01-05, 22:05   Link #48
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Sort of makes me wonder which storylines will count as -official canon- from now on, the manga, the light novel, or the anime? Seeing that LN Uiharu only meets Mikoto in Vol.12 (WAY after the Sisters arc), and by extension Saten not knowing them at all. Or Anime Saten, meeting Mikoto at the same time as Uiharu, long before Index even appears in Academy City. Haven't read the manga version, so I don't know when Saten turns up there.
Manga Mikoto meets Uiharu at the Post office raid on the 17th with the Pyro. and bumps into her and Saten two days later at the Shopping mall for the Graviton bomb. Then she runs into Touma that night for the fight at the beginning of Index.

In the Novels Uiharu and Mikoto had met before the point Uiharu meets her in Volume 12 but don't seem to know each other well. Uiharu has been rather shy when she's been around Mikoto from the description. The Manga doesn't totally contradict that so far as Uiharu and Mikoto haven't been in the same scene since the fight with Kiyama.

I Suspect the LN's will be treated as canon, with the Manga counting where it does not heavily contradict. The Index manga and anime don't seem to conteradict the LN's and the Railgun manga has just shaded Mikoto knowing Uiharu a bit better than Uiharu's into in the LN's implied.

Saten not having shown in the LN's yet doesn't really matter, most of Mikoto's life doesn't show in the novels. IIRC we can't name any of Mikoto's classmates. Where as we know Uiharu, Akemi, Mugi and Mu-chan are all in Saten's class and the swim team girls are in Kuroko's.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 15:34   Link #49
Avegaille

Saten getting an A in Clairvoyance test... in episode 14 makes you think... is she going to use it for Uiharu or something... what do you all think guys? xD;;
Avegaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 15:36   Link #50
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avegaille View Post
Saten getting an A in Clairvoyance test... in episode 14 makes you think... is she going to use it for Uiharu or something... what do you all think guys? xD;;
It's probably just something randomly thown in there, but if she does Level Up and use her new found powers to tell what color panties Uiharu is wearing, I will be extraordinarily pleased.

Here's her test results btw:
Spoiler for space:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 15:46   Link #51
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avegaille View Post
I think "Clairvoyance" is actually more of a type of mental assessment rather than the actual Clairvoyance power. Maybe Clairvoyance actually means something like "intuition" or whatever. We know for sure Saten's power is something similar to wind or vortexes. The power she gained in Level Upper only increased her level; it didn't give her a random power she didn't have. For the people who already had powers, Level Upper augmented their existing powers rather than gave them completely new ones.
Old 2010-01-09, 15:53   Link #52
Avegaille

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
I think "Clairvoyance" is actually more of a type of mental assessment rather than the actual Clairvoyance power. Maybe Clairvoyance actually means something like "intuition" or whatever. We know for sure Saten's power is something similar to wind or vortexes. The power she gained in Level Upper only increased her level; it didn't give her a random power she didn't have. For the people who already had powers, Level Upper augmented their existing powers rather than gave them completely new ones.
That's what I felt somehow since Level 0 and getting an A on Clairvoyance... has she surpassed Konori or something? (what I was thinking) xD;

Now that I can see it's just a test (I think it's like that test in Tokiwadai where there's a card and you have to tell what's behind it?) well... her intuition seems very strong.

At least Saten having Wind powers could mean only one thing... using it on Uiharu... *bricked*

@ Haak: That would be the most interesting and amusing thing ever... 8D (Clairvoyance = peeing tom ability) XD

Last edited by Avegaille; 2010-01-09 at 16:01. Reason: damn you typos
Avegaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 15:55   Link #53
Miraluka
Banned

An "A" in clairvoyance is not that bad, for example Accelerator has psychokinesis but sure in my POV he has no clairvoyance, psychometry or telepathy.
If that the case sure Saten should be getting an Esp power if she tries her best. The LU forced Saten's brain to show a personal reality so guys, What can of power can show Saten??
Old 2010-01-09, 16:01   Link #54
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
An "A" in clairvoyance is not that bad, for example Accelerator has psychokinesis but sure in my POV he has no clairvoyance, psychometry or telepathy.
If that the case sure Saten should be getting an Esp power if she tries her best. The LU forced Saten's brain to show a personal reality so guys, What can of power can show Saten??
Uhm, isn't "A" very very good? Unless there's something better than A.

I think its got something to do with wind or vortexes, because when she held out her hands there was wind swirling.
Old 2010-01-09, 16:17   Link #55
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah, there is SA and SS in the style of ranking that I saw before in other series.
Old 2010-01-09, 23:03   Link #56
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Those are pretty good scores despite being Level 0, nevertheless. I had always been under the impression that Level 0 simply had no psychotic powers at all; looks like these are considered "general" skills that all Academy Citizens have.
Old 2010-01-09, 23:12   Link #57
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Those are pretty good scores despite being Level 0, nevertheless. I had always been under the impression that Level 0 simply had no psychotic powers at all; looks like these are considered "general" skills that all Academy Citizens have.
According to what we know so far about esper powers, no person is actually completely without potential. The Academy City as we know it has only been around for a while. So what may seem like "no powers" or "no potential" may actually mean "we don't know yet".

It happens all the time IRL in science.

However, those are NOT "general" skills. Each person specifically only has one esper power. I see these scores as more as generic subjects.

For instance, there are different types of IQ (verbal comprehension, reasoning, rote memory, spatial skill etc.). You can take the IQ test and get different scores for each, but it doesn't tell you what the person does for a living or what the person likes. In the same way, these scores can probably give us a vague idea of what Saten is capable of, but it isn't a perfect guide.
Old 2010-01-09, 23:32   Link #58
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I'm not sure if I can get the point across, but let's take Telepathy for example.

Rank C... what does that mean? Saten reads minds in bits and snatches? While a Rank A can hold a conversation with another Rank A without speaking?

If that's the case, even if Rank A1 is a Pyrokinesist and Rank A2 is a Electromaster, they can both engage in telepathy, when it is not their "main skill".

In other words, is the rule of an ESPer having only 1 Skill mean they can only make water out of no where to the exclusion of other ESP related abilities? Or does it only apply to 1 exotic Skill, and that esper can still perform "lesser" abilities like mind-reading and telekinesis, as indicated by the score card?
Old 2010-01-09, 23:35   Link #59
tsunade666

But having a high score in clairvoyance but in LU arc. When her power awaken it shows wind or a form of telekinesis. But wouldn't it be better for her to just have clairvoyance ability? it would prove more useful for her to see through uiharu without her knowing or is it just her hobby to flip it for everyone to see because if it is I will be gladly to stand beside her.

EDIT:

I don't think so. Their is only one ability for person that's a solid rule but having a general skill doesn't mean its your ability but the thing is you can only have one main one. Like a main weapon with sub accessories in rpg game. But those accessories doesn't help you directly just give you boost the main weapon do the damage. While having a good grade in minor one it just add up to the total power of your main ability but you can't use it in actual battle because its not your main ability.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 23:58   Link #60
babohtea

Please re-read what I said about IQ. Each esper only gets one ability, the only person who could use multiple abilities was the woman who created Level Upper.

Tags
characters